Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Don't make it obvious like Deez Nutz and I doubt anyone would even notice or care.

What an awful page snipe. Here, have a goblin flight plan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

:staredog:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How is "shart" a name of a waypoint?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cojawfee posted:

How is "shart" a name of a waypoint?

You’ve clearly never met a controller.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Went back through my screenshot folder.

https://imgur.com/a/uH9pX4i

I don't generally screenshot situations where it's glaringly apparent (although there are quite a lot of those) because it kind of ruins the picture, but of the pictures I did dig up you can see a bunch of tinsel-y crap near the horizon (or in a band halfway between the horizon and glareshield in the third picture particularly apparent in a patch at around 11 o clock)

Just curious: have you tried tweaking the settings manually in the UserCfg.opt file? I think FilmGrain could be the one to set to 0. Maybe try with Sharpen too

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I gave it a try but it doesn't help unfortunately. It's not a post-processed filter on the rendered image, it's more like a divide-by-zero in a shader or some other sloppy coding like that which MSFS gets away with on Windows but Linux doesn't have the necessary fixups and workaround yet.

Here is a more typical example btw

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Really enjoying the PMDG 737. I’m still too much of a coward to try landing it though. Still figuring out takeoff/ climb. Even if I hit TOGA, my auto throttle suddenly spikes up to like 110% N1 shortly after takeoff. What am I doing wrong? I have my flight plan loaded, but I must be missing something.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Do you have your INIT PERF pages all setup? Like weights, V speeds, flaps, etc?

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

JayKay posted:

Do you have your INIT PERF pages all setup? Like weights, V speeds, flaps, etc?

Yes, at least I think so. I have flaps, ZFW, etc. setup. I thought it was because I didn’t pick a departure, but that wasn’t it. I got my plan via online flight planner.org so maybe that’s why?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Did you select clb-1 or clb-2?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

The tutorial they give in the PMDG documents was real helpful on getting through all stages of flight. It's worth a read it and follow along if you have a chance.

Everything is basically automated once all the stuff is setup and the only controller input you do is the initial takeoff roll and rotation, and final braking/runway turnoff when landed.

It made branching out into my own flight plans a lot easier.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I've talked a lot of poo poo about MSFS. It can't be stressed enough how bad the CMS is, and as an example, I just passed 50 hours of flying time with a Steam playtime of 143. But I took the time to learn the Boeing 247 and doing flights with that and legit radio navigation is exactly what flight simming is about. It's a real joy to fly despite some of the goofy bugs that will never get fixed.

So that being said, any other good planes out there from that period? Free or pay.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I've talked a lot of poo poo about MSFS. It can't be stressed enough how bad the CMS is, and as an example, I just passed 50 hours of flying time with a Steam playtime of 143. But I took the time to learn the Boeing 247 and doing flights with that and legit radio navigation is exactly what flight simming is about. It's a real joy to fly despite some of the goofy bugs that will never get fixed.

So that being said, any other good planes out there from that period? Free or pay.

I've had a lot of fun with the G21A Grumman Goose that's free and Big Radials just recently released their paid JRF-6B Goose with even more minimalist/original instruments which looks pretty cool.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Coming back to MSFS after about a year off, I noticed that the curves are, by default, very aggressive (and that the pitch trim slider axis was non-linear, which explains a whole host of very stupid problems I had). I moved everything over to being linear for now.

I also bought a set of TFRP pedals and have played with them a bit; I find I have a bit of a hard time getting them back to perfect neutral. Is it pretty normal to have a bit of dead-zone on sim pedals? I've had a tough time acclimating to them so far, I feel like I go from nothing to "oh poo poo that's a lot of rudder" pretty quick, with a lot of travel remaining. Is there a general sense of what's a "good" curve for pedals?

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 4, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Particularly on the TFRP's, I had to have a...I want to say 4% deadzone on those, it was pretty hefty just because I kept inputting on the fuckers. I also had a pretty huge curve on them too, it definitely wasn't linear, it was pretty drat swoopy. Unfortunately don't have it installed at the moment to verify what it was, but yeah - deadzones and curves for pedals, go hog wild.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The premium edition of the F-22A from Top Mach Studios is pretty hilarious, with that pseudo-implementation of thrust vectoring (until Asobo adds proper support) and the high alpha antics it allows.

Too bad people without the mod see a generic airliner instead.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

The premium edition of the F-22A from Top Mach Studios is pretty hilarious, with that pseudo-implementation of thrust vectoring (until Asobo adds proper support) and the high alpha antics it allows.

Too bad people without the mod see a generic airliner instead.

I don't know, the idea of just minding my own business and coming across an airliner pulling off some sort of hosed up cobra sounds like a plus and not a minus.

Sorry, a few more questions:

1.) Does anyone have advice on troubleshooting MSFS crashes? I'm about to lose my mind chasing this recurrent CTD I keep getting, after a few minutes of flying. It wouldn't be so bad, except even loading from an SSD, I'm looking at, like five minutes from desktop to sim, minimum. It's interminable! Digging through event viewer, it seems to be something with nvlddmkm, so I've been trying to look at GPU stuff. Temperatures seem fine, I never even crack 80, as far as I can tell.

I'm at like a 9/10 in terms of pissed off at this point; I spent the past month slugging out miserable work poo poo, with some flight sim time as the light at the end of the tunnel, and now I don't know what the gently caress. I know I should just ask on the MSFS forums, but reading threads on related issues just makes me realize flight sim forums are chock-a-block with absolute dildoes and the usual "offical game forum regular" kiss-asses.

2.) I don't know if anyone besides me uses opentrack with an aruco marker, but I guess it generalizes to most opentrack setups: It seems like opentrack is really smooth if it's the active window. As soon as I have MSFS full-screened, it's much, much worse, sometimes hitching for seconds at a time, and generally just kind of choppy. What's funny is that it seems to work fine if I have MSFS windowed, with the opentrack window visible. Should I just thrown in the towel and buy a TrackIR?

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 6, 2022

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

DrankSinatra posted:

I don't know, the idea of just minding my own business and coming across an airliner pulling off some sort of hosed up cobra sounds like a plus and not a minus.

747 cruises past pulling a 50* AOA, drops to level and guns it to Mach 2.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If I decided to start out with MSFS, is a stick/yoke setup necessary for me to get a good feel of whether I'm going to enjoy it or not? I assume keyboard experience is a lot worse, but how much worse?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
At minimum you’d want a gamepad with analogue sticks. Pretty hard to get the fine input control with keyboard presses. A stick/yoke and throttle is more fun but a gamepad is perfectly fine to have fun flying around with.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kemikalkadet posted:

At minimum you’d want a gamepad with analogue sticks. Pretty hard to get the fine input control with keyboard presses. A stick/yoke and throttle is more fun but a gamepad is perfectly fine to have fun flying around with.

nice, I figure then I'd start with a gamepad (which I could use for other poo poo, too) and then if I get the bug I can move to fancier poo poo.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I remember back in the day of olden flight simulators, "virtual cockpit" was a thing you could switch to with a keypress, but they were these super poorly made barren 3D cockpits with like two working gauges. When did they become the standard from 2D screen cockpits? And did that FS 2004 era have any good virtual cockpits that could replace a 2D one?

I remember cruising a MadDog with a 2D panel like this:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
2d panels were supported through FSX, and Prepar3d still supports them, but they're only used as popups and not full instrument panels.

Virtual cockpits got better throughout the lifetime of FSX, and by the time P3d had replaced it, VC's were good enough that you could fly the airplane from them pretty well, but stuff like FMS's would usually have a 2d popup to make them easier to use, which was the case for P3d as well.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 7, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

I remember back in the day of olden flight simulators, "virtual cockpit" was a thing you could switch to with a keypress, but they were these super poorly made barren 3D cockpits with like two working gauges. When did they become the standard from 2D screen cockpits? And did that FS 2004 era have any good virtual cockpits that could replace a 2D one?

I remember cruising a MadDog with a 2D panel like this:

Speaking of 2D cockpits, Shuttle had an awesomely complex functional cockpit in 1992.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

azflyboy posted:

2d panels were supported through FSX, and Prepar3d still supports them, but they're only used as popups and not full instrument panels.

Virtual cockpits got better throughout the lifetime of FSX, and by the time P3d had replaced it, VC's were good enough that you could fly the airplane from them pretty well, but stuff like FMS's would usually have a 2d popup to make them easier to use, which was the case for P3d as well.

Pop outs also makes it possible to easily map extra screens if you’re building a multi-screen sim and simulating a full panel and whatnot. And that’s important, because Prepar3d is serious business and you’re forbidden from having fun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What's the best way to buy MSFS for PC? I do most of my buying on Steam, but is there a compelling reason to use Xbox GamePass or something else? Any advantages to update handling? I gather that is a huge pain in the rear end.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What's the best way to buy MSFS for PC? I do most of my buying on Steam, but is there a compelling reason to use Xbox GamePass or something else? Any advantages to update handling? I gather that is a huge pain in the rear end.

Whereever you buy it, the thing you download from the store is just the small launcher. All the content download and updating happens via the MSFS launcher, so the store doesn't matter.

If you still get it free from gamepass then that will be sensible. Otherwise it's best to buy it from the store you use the most.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Got to say I'm loving the PMDG Boeing. I've learned so much about setting up flights plans, Sid/stars, approaches and landing. It's an absolutely stunning looking plane in the simulator and I've found a newfound appreciation for Boeing planes. I'm Europe so I prefer Airbus when I'm actually flying. The flybywire a32x is really nice, but the PMDG just seems to be friendlier to learn.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

DrankSinatra posted:

2.) I don't know if anyone besides me uses opentrack with an aruco marker, but I guess it generalizes to most opentrack setups: It seems like opentrack is really smooth if it's the active window. As soon as I have MSFS full-screened, it's much, much worse, sometimes hitching for seconds at a time, and generally just kind of choppy. What's funny is that it seems to work fine if I have MSFS windowed, with the opentrack window visible. Should I just thrown in the towel and buy a TrackIR?

Isn't MSFS always windowed borderless so it 'shouldn't' make a difference? Do you get different results using neuralnet?

If you want to get complicated you could make a second monitor inside a browser with spacedesk.net and leave opentrack 'active' in that second desktop. It's also good for hiding joystick gremlin, weird dcs panel mirrors and whatnot.

(I like aruco but could never get a field of view good enough for all range ofmovements)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Vaguely related DCS question: is there a mod or simple way to shrink most HUDS by like 10% that doesn't involve complicated lua? I can never ever see the whole thing, including useful things like speed, with any form of headtracking on because they're cut off at the sides.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
For DCS HUDs I always need to move the cockpit camera forward a tad so it all fits in view. (helpful to bind keys to tweak the eyepoint)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

Whereever you buy it, the thing you download from the store is just the small launcher. All the content download and updating happens via the MSFS launcher, so the store doesn't matter.

If you still get it free from gamepass then that will be sensible. Otherwise it's best to buy it from the store you use the most.

Thanks, looks like GamePass is the way to go to try it out.

There was some discussion of the BAe-146 earlier; has anyone bought and flown that? I have had a soft spot in my heart since early Europe trips were on Air France Regional configurations and CityJet flights in to LCY. edit: I am a long way off from that but figure my end game is probably the classic EHAM - LCY flight that I took about fifteen times in a 146.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 7, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hello I am a real-life pilot and I'm here to tell you that you are never a long way off from anything in flight simulator, just do whatever you want to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Hello I am a real-life pilot and I'm here to tell you that you are never a long way off from anything in flight simulator, just do whatever you want to do.

i appreciate your encouragement. i have to buy the god drat game first so i think i am pretty far off. i have also made a list of hardware upgrades. :homebrew:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i appreciate your encouragement. i have to buy the god drat game first so i think i am pretty far off. i have also made a list of hardware upgrades. :homebrew:

If you by any chance got the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and a fast connection you can also try the Xbox version it on its cloud gaming thing. That's how I've been playing it since I got only got a crap laptop for now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Just mashed go on the initial 94.35GiB download. 5:34 PM EST. Will update when done. edit: it finished sometime when I was out to dinner, probably around 7:25 or so.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 10, 2022

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I wonder how many civilian simmers out there use a yoke setup instead of an hotas. I mean, except those who actually build replicas and are super hardcore for their own reasons, is there any real benefit in using a yoke?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I fly with a PS4 controller because :effort: to juggle stuff to setup actual flight controls.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

froody guy posted:

I wonder how many civilian simmers out there use a yoke setup instead of an hotas. I mean, except those who actually build replicas and are super hardcore for their own reasons, is there any real benefit in using a yoke?

I was surprised how many people seemed to be using yolks yokes when going through different flight sim forums. If they know they aren't going to be playing DCS/IL-2 and especially if they only really fly GA planes and then it doesn't seem too unusual.

Even saw one pop up in a movie recently which surprised me.

Avengement (2019)

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
A friend of mine just got into flight sims with MSFS2020. He really wants to learn how to fly legitimately and has bought a yolk yoke (lol) setup.

I upgraded to an x56 HOTAS setup and gave him my old stick for when he wises up and wants to soar around in a jet and blow poo poo up with missiles while making the appropriate explosion noises with his mouth like a REAL sim pilot.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 11, 2022