Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

A gyro copter that has slayers tied to the blade tips but can fire them off like magic missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Or just go whole hog and make each battle in TWW a full game of bloodbowl.

They need to at least add some Nuffle daemons and add his dark daemon prince, John Madden.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
mad max gyro mount is an ok idea

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dwarfs are entirely fine in campaign IMO, I would like to see more stuff for them but that's cos I like playing as them.

They're slow but that's why they have artillery, so you can shell the fuckers and make them come to you. They don't need the best artillery to do that, just enough to countersnipe the enemy arty and then keep lobbing shots at them until they move, which they can do quite well, certainly they can do it to all the people they actually fight against.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Other bad dwarf idea

Give rangers a scouting speed bonus or strider to nearby dwarfs

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Third World Reagan posted:

Other bad dwarf idea

Give rangers a scouting speed bonus or strider to nearby dwarfs

There should be a scouting effect like 'eye of the dragon' but instead of just forest spotting it gives a big range boost to spotting stealthed/hidden units. Give it to rangers and other underutilized scout units and make them more useful

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

This can work the other way too, if a unit that is supposed to be a figurehead of the faction is unplayable trash.

On that note, buff Greatswords, CA you cowardssss

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Slayers can already pilot gyrocopters, so just give us a gyrocopter driven by a slayer and let it melee bloodthirsters.

I don't think Skarbrand would object to this addition and neither should you.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Give dwarf units surviving after a serious defeat the option to convert to slayers for free

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Grumio posted:

Give dwarf units surviving after a serious defeat the option to convert to slayers for free

Yes, this must be a thing

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I think it would be cool if gyrocopters had an aura that slowed and lowered the melee attack of nearby flying units. Pretend the blades create turbulence or something. That way they can run away from furies and survive long enough for your ranged units to protect them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Solution: All dwarf units are now Grimgrog. It's all Grimgrog, all the time.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Third World Reagan posted:

If you want to keep their speed, give them menace from bellow

if you don't want to keep their speed, make them match nurgle and maybe buff artillery accuracy sorcery

Give dwarves the Lore of Gunpowder and Lore of Metal, but call it long range artillery.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lore of artillery should absolutely be a thing and it's just shogun 2 off map artillery in various sizes, and instead of winds it has an ammunition pool.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
... theres already long range off-screen artillery in the game, its the black arks. even got the ammo pool

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah now just give that to dwarfs and make it good

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
dwarves with armstrong guns would be too powerful tbh

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is there a mod that gives the dwarves like an ogre sized big dwarf? Because lets just do that?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lore friendly thing is rune guardians, or big ol' automata

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

... theres already long range off-screen artillery in the game, its the black arks. even got the ammo pool

It's far less cool than the shogun 2 ones.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that is true, i guess. maybe make it more boomier

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I would not be against dwarves recapturing the absolute devastation that fall of the samurai achieved with its artillery options.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

POV you are gobbos trying to invade everpeak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aklPsRkWpNk&t=104s

Ranged is still hideously effective in warhams but it definitely lost a lot of the visceral oomph it had in FOTS.

Like even if you had to greatly increase the cost, put faction caps on it, reduce the number of guns in a unit, it would still be nice to have some real meaty artillery options.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 31, 2022

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They should give dwarves a speed bonus out of combat and some kind of skirmish ranged and a cavalry option so you can throw that bullshit in the trash and play helman ghorst.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

OwlFancier posted:

It's far less cool than the shogun 2 ones.

They're honestly more cool visually than the shogun 2 ones, it's just that the shogun 2 ones were ridiculously unbalanced broken delete-target-army buttons while the TWW2 ones have about the power of your average bound spell so they feel a lot less impactful. A decently upgraded black ark can wax maybe 4-5 units if you use all of its charges optimally over the course of a whole battle whereas shogun 2 callins would just evaporate the enemy army before they got into range sometimes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Fall of the Samurai arty won me a >2-to-1 battle with a basic garrison + panic army that I had no business contesting. I let the AI get up to the second level of a fort and just crushed them at the final chokepoints.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I would like to offer my concept of how a Dwarf Thunderbarge should function.

+includes a ramp for safe disembarkation
+spacious can hold 2 units of infantry
+good fuel economy
-high upkeep per hour
-may smell like cigarettes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I will never understand ranged fans. The whole conceit of Total War is that the TBS campaign map and the RTS battles are merged- but somehow the funnest RTS battle is setting up the same box over and over and then not interacting besides deployment?

Like you can just play a TBS then go on youtube and look up lots of great videos of everything from dudes shooting longbows to modern artillery strikes. Then you don't have to engage with the battle map portion, get to see lots of stuff shot or blown up, and the graphics are way better. A real life Armstrong gun is cool as gently caress to shoot. Setting up a line of them while the braindead AI charges into your 26th identical battery that you stuck in a straight line to blow them up yet again is the dullest poo poo, and yeah I'll say it: FotS sucks real bad. I can't comprehend how folks think it's the best TW. You endlessly mow down AI stacks with a gunline, and the swarms of two-unit stacks are out in full force to get owned.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
What if they gave Dwarf infantry units little bicycles that they can unpack from their bags? Make it a command in the UI like brace. It will play an animation, increases their speed by 50%, and allows them to only ride around.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I will never understand ranged fans. The whole conceit of Total War is that the TBS campaign map and the RTS battles are merged- but somehow the funnest RTS battle is setting up the same box over and over and then not interacting besides deployment?

Like you can just play a TBS then go on youtube and look up lots of great videos of everything from dudes shooting longbows to modern artillery strikes. Then you don't have to engage with the battle map portion, get to see lots of stuff shot or blown up, and the graphics are way better. A real life Armstrong gun is cool as gently caress to shoot. Setting up a line of them while the braindead AI charges into your 26th identical battery that you stuck in a straight line to blow them up yet again is the dullest poo poo, and yeah I'll say it: FotS sucks real bad. I can't comprehend how folks think it's the best TW. You endlessly mow down AI stacks with a gunline, and the swarms of two-unit stacks are out in full force to get owned.

counterpoint: "mowing down swarms of enemies" owns really hard

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

source your quotes

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's fun.

When I get done having fun shooting dudes I just start a new campaign or raise a new army and put like 10 cavalry in it or something else new.

See the nice thing about a game with a lot of choices is that I can make different ones later and it doesn't reduce my fun that the other options exist.

99pct of germs posted:

I would like to offer my concept of how a Dwarf Thunderbarge should function.

+includes a ramp for safe disembarkation
+spacious can hold 2 units of infantry
+good fuel economy
-high upkeep per hour
-may smell like cigarettes

:five:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sorry I can't hear you over the sound of my naval artillery obliterating samurai

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's a combination of two factors. First, the spectacle is rad as hell. Blowing up giant armies of dudes with FotS artillery and ship call-ins looks really cool and it's viscerally satisfying to see a unit of dudes - which you know to be relatively tough and difficult to remove through other means like fighting it with other units - simply disappear in one or two big strikes. The same applies to ranged doomstacks and especially big magic plays in TWW, as evidenced by how popular huge Wind of Death/Burning Head/Pendulum kill counts are despite them being really easy to set up against the AI.

Second, people like winning, and ranged doomstacks(and artillery, and overpowered FotS call-ins, and magic) are generally easy, safe, and low-input ways to reliably win. They're not the only way to win, but building and deploying a ranged doomstack is both easy to do and easy to replicate repeatedly. You don't need to be a high pressure micro wizard or have an intricate understanding of all of the game mechanics to bring 10 armstrong guns in FotS or to build your 2nd all seaguard + 1 bolt thrower doomstack in TWW, you can just do it and it'll work and win battles and either you'll get a dopamine hit from winning there or it will facilitate your campaign thriving and extending to the point where you get to play with whatever cool toys you *actually* want to play with.

One way the first and second points combine in an interesting way is the Beastmen(in TWW2) and Khorne(in TWW3). Both of those factions are basically ranged free, but they're both big on spectacle(mass minotaurs turning units to chunky salsa on the charge, bloodletters and skarbrand evaporating whole units in seconds) and really overpowered and super easy to win with. People love them both.

Note, this isn't a judgment or making fun of people for liking those things, because I like those things too. Almost everyone likes those things. Nobody plays these games for visually boring battles, and very few people play these games looking to eat poo poo and lose on turn 10 over and over.

Personally, I dislike using one-note doomstacks and generally support changes that weaken and minimize them, but even I'll spam archers or ratling guns whatever if it gets my territory and economy to where I can play around with less optimal stacks without losing 40 turns of game time because I can't hold on to a settlement.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 31, 2022

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Ranged spam is not close to the most boring play style. That award goes to using single entity blobs. I'm looking at you, patriarchs on bears.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I am, in general, playing videogames because I want to shut my brain off, not because I am looking for a calculated, high-tension challenge. I have enough hard thinking and tension in the rest of my life, and games, even strategy games, are an escape from that. For me personally.

Mercrom posted:

Ranged spam is not close to the most boring play style. That award goes to using single entity blobs. I'm looking at you, patriarchs on bears.

*roars angrily in Stegadon*

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Dwarves just need a map wide temp buff in Pump Those Dwarven Legs which gives them double speed for 20 seconds but also decreases ranged accuracy. Set a 2 or 3 times per battle limit, 60s cooldown.

Might need a bit of balancing from there, but this really isn't hard. Shame I don't know modding.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I am, in general, playing videogames because I want to shut my brain off, not because I am looking for a calculated, high-tension challenge. I have enough hard thinking and tension in the rest of my life, and games, even strategy games, are an escape from that. For me personally.

*roars angrily in Stegadon*

If I want to do calculations I turn on a game of like AI War or play Hearts of Iron as Poland, I play Total War Games because I want to mash faces in with cannonfire or trample the roman empire with elephants.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

People play video games for different reasons and in different ways. Your way isn't any more valid than others', probably. It's really not too interesting to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Your way isn't any more valid than others

yes it is