Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Darko posted:

A subset of black people super got into the goth subculture which was kind of parallel to the anime culture at the same time (if you look at DBZ Fandom, it's largely black, for instance, as well as having full black anime focused conventions).

I think it's glossed over by a lot of other people because they just see black people wearing black or whatever without the huge contrast of dark coloring on pale.

i knew plenty of black goths back in the day, and these days i see them a lot. in the midwest, you see far more black goths than white ones these days.

there also have always been a lot of Latino goths, especially in argentina. the 90s had a huge glam-goth argentina scene

"goths are always pasty white people" is about as accurate as "goths are always fat chicks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
in fact, in an amazing synchronicity i just thought of, in the past year i've seen no less than four black people with Ankh tattoos, and they didn't even appear to be goths

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Darko posted:

A subset of black people super got into the goth subculture which was kind of parallel to the anime culture at the same time (if you look at DBZ Fandom, it's largely black, for instance, as well as having full black anime focused conventions).

I think it's glossed over by a lot of other people because they just see black people wearing black or whatever without the huge contrast of dark coloring on pale.

So what I'm hearing is, the visual gimmick for this show's version of Death should be that she's always decked out in anime merch

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Argue posted:

So what I'm hearing is, the visual gimmick for this show's version of Death should be that she's always decked out in anime merch

Jill Thompson already did this

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

precision posted:

i knew plenty of black goths back in the day, and these days i see them a lot. in the midwest, you see far more black goths than white ones these days.

there also have always been a lot of Latino goths, especially in argentina. the 90s had a huge glam-goth argentina scene

"goths are always pasty white people" is about as accurate as "goths are always fat chicks".

Yeah it's more accurate that "white goths treat nonwhite goths lovely, so white goth spaces are mostly white people".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

precision posted:

in fact, in an amazing synchronicity i just thought of, in the past year i've seen no less than four black people with Ankh tattoos, and they didn't even appear to be goths

You may have run into some hoteps, which is unfortunate.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darko posted:

You may have run into some hoteps, which is unfortunate.

Well if they did, they didn't get their soul sucked out their rear end so that's a net win.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I just hope we eventually get to see Norton I, my fav story in the series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah it's more accurate that "white goths treat nonwhite goths lovely, so white goth spaces are mostly white people".

what's super messed up is that this is happening again now with anime. anime is (and has been for a long time) huge even in what you would call "mainstream african-american culture". like, it's still pretty weird to see a white trust fund bro daddy sporting a Naruto shirt, but you see regular definitely-not-nerd black dudes in Dragonball shirts all the time. in my experience, anime just doesn't have that stigma among black people

and yet white anime fans heavily dominate the conversation and the organization of the conventions, often for lovely economic reasons

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

precision posted:

what's super messed up is that this is happening again now with anime. anime is (and has been for a long time) huge even in what you would call "mainstream african-american culture". like, it's still pretty weird to see a white trust fund bro daddy sporting a Naruto shirt, but you see regular definitely-not-nerd black dudes in Dragonball shirts all the time. in my experience, anime just doesn't have that stigma among black people

and yet white anime fans heavily dominate the conversation and the organization of the conventions, often for lovely economic reasons

And always have something lovely to say about black cosplayers, just like with this casting. "It's not accurate enough" or whatever used to mask things.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
My one requirement, as a middle-aged nerd who read the comic as it came out, when I first heard about this adaptation, was that they MUST do "The Sound of Her Wings" and not gently caress it up. Looks like I will be happy.

(As for the casting of Death, yeah, I saw the actress on The Good Place. She has the ability, any naysayers can suck it.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Groke posted:

(As for the casting of Death, yeah, I saw the actress on The Good Place. She has the ability, any naysayers can suck it.)

oh heck i didn't even pay enough attention to realize that's who she is! yeah she definitely has the right energy for "cheerfully telling you about your imminent demise"

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

precision posted:

oh heck i didn't even pay enough attention to realize that's who she is! yeah she definitely has the right energy for "cheerfully telling you about your imminent demise"

Got that whole slightly exasperated, sarcastic, yet warm and empathetic voice of reason thing down.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Groke posted:

Got that whole slightly exasperated, sarcastic, yet warm and empathetic voice of reason thing down.

Yeah the key for the scene they showed was that she needs to be honestly and believably compassionate and she nails it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

For anyone into ASMR-style things, they just released an official podcast called Sandman: Dreamcast which features the show's cast reprising their roles taking you on a tour through various locations such as the Dreaming itself, Lucienne's Library, and The Threshold of Desire. Pretty neat and I believe it includes music from the show for those fans of orchestral scores like myself. It's on Spotify and Apple Podcasts.

(It also has the first "listen" at Cain and Abel so I geeked out)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Neil Gaiman is on the most recent WTF With Marc Maron podcast. I haven't listened to it yet but he usually does a pretty decent interview.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
NG is a good follow on twitter

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1553712284412821504

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

Neil Gaiman is on the most recent WTF With Marc Maron podcast. I haven't listened to it yet but he usually does a pretty decent interview.

It's a good interview. He's a lot more candid than he usually is on traditional junket stuff or even his twitter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of stuff comes out this Friday but I have a feeling that I'm going to watch this entire show in one sitting.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
Epic. NG is the kinda guy who makes the worst people you know (Chuds) angry, and I'm here for it!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

A lot of stuff comes out this Friday but I have a feeling that I'm going to watch this entire show in one sitting.

On one hand, I'm glad it's coming out in a lump, so I can just binge it. On the other, I am maddened that I won't have a proper teevee binge window for a couple of weeks :smith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I refuse to binge and I hate that it's become the expectation.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So, uh, I just watched the first episode and it is really loving good. It's going to make waiting til Friday even worse though.

(Netflix sent me a screener since I won a spot at the virtual premiere)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'll be visiting some friends this weekend and they just cancelled netflix so I either get to share my password and force them to watch, watch it late night on my kindle, or wait until I get home to squeeze in what I can. I wish they were like Amazon and Friday releases were early evening Thursday my time.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

I refuse to binge and I hate that it's become the expectation.

It's not though.

Most of the services release weekly because it keeps folks subscribed. Netflix is mostly an exception in that regard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fair enough, and I don't have a lot of subscriptions so Netflix is what I know. Still though, I feel like there's a cultural expectation for people to binge when available. But I also realized it doesn't matter much here cause it's Sandman and I know how it goes and I can do an episode a day and talk about it online without that apprehension towards accidentally catching spoilers.

Unless they pull that thing where they make a big dumb change for the sake of changing things like in just about any adaptation I've seen in the past few years :ohdear:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Fair enough, and I don't have a lot of subscriptions so Netflix is what I know. Still though, I feel like there's a cultural expectation for people to binge when available. But I also realized it doesn't matter much here cause it's Sandman and I know how it goes and I can do an episode a day and talk about it online without that apprehension towards accidentally catching spoilers.

Unless they pull that thing where they make a big dumb change for the sake of changing things like in just about any adaptation I've seen in the past few years :ohdear:

The first episode has some minor changes that feel like they were done to make it work more as a cohesive television show, setting up characters that will be important later, but it was overall fairly faithful.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's how they lure you in and then in the very last episode Death appears with every mortal she's claimed in the series and goes "the dead no longer dream... I've come with an army you have no power over to claim your kingdom, brother!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dream's gonna be hanging out in MCR t-shirts

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's how they lure you in and then in the very last episode Death appears with every mortal she's claimed in the series and goes "the dead no longer dream... I've come with an army you have no power over to claim your kingdom, brother!"

It's gonna end on a surprise tie-in with Zach Snyder's Justice League 2. :negative:

But yeah, I'm hyped. I actually hadn't read Sandman in full before, and took the opportunity during the run-up to read the first three volumes in the last couple months. Really looking forwards to seeing how they'll be trying to translate some of the wilder comic visuals to screen, particularly of the first few issues.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'll definitely be interesting to see how they handle some of the disconnected stuff or things that take forever to pay off, like the issue where Morpheus rescues Calliope or Lady Johanna's adventure during the French Revolution.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

They'll match the spirit of the guest appearances so instead of guest starring old DC characters they'll use characters from older netflix shows.

I hope they do a High Cost of Living movie in between seasons or something. Or I guess it could be a filler episode somewhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if this is successful, i can't imagine them not doing High Cost of Living as a special. everyone loves that story. it's the Gen X equivalent of It's a Wonderful Life

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If this gets popular enough I could see them doing an anthology of the stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this! posted:

If this gets popular enough I could see them doing an anthology of the stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Gaiman didn't originally intend to write most of the side stories; around what became the midpoint of the series he laid out his complete plan and it ran to 60 issues rather than the 75 we got. I think what we'll get is the main plot in at most four seasons, with nearly all the side stories jettisoned.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jedit posted:

Maybe, but I doubt it. Gaiman didn't originally intend to write most of the side stories; around what became the midpoint of the series he laid out his complete plan and it ran to 60 issues rather than the 75 we got. I think what we'll get is the main plot in at most four seasons, with nearly all the side stories jettisoned.

I think a large chunk of them will be, but Gaiman has said that he feels that he wants to do some of the bigger side stories like Midsummer Night's Dream, Dream of a Thousand Cats, Orpheus (which is important), and a few others. I think ALL of World's End gets ditched.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'll accept losing World's End as long as we get three seasons of a Prez Rickard show

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I think a large chunk of them will be, but Gaiman has said that he feels that he wants to do some of the bigger side stories like Midsummer Night's Dream, Dream of a Thousand Cats, Orpheus (which is important), and a few others. I think ALL of World's End gets ditched.

:prepop: Holy moly

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That's pretty much where I'm at, except Thermidor needs to be in as well - and we know it will be, because they're setting it up in S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Two episodes in, and so far pretty good!