Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Postal Service was way better than Death Cab. Gibbard should have ditched that bullshit.

This is legitimately one of the worst opinions posted itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is legitimately one of the worst opinions posted itt

I calls 'em like I sees 'em

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
this would unironicalyl make them better

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

A great place to read about this trend is in the works of mark fisher

which fisher book talks about music

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The really weird thing is living in Seattle where you go to certain record stores and that culture still exists as a living fossil. Ppl wearing k records and sub pop shirts dropping over $100 on a decemberists first pressing. It’s actually very quaint and endearing.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Xaris posted:

I mentioned it in the other thread but his k punk anthology talks about art and music a lot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

The really weird thing is living in Seattle where you go to certain record stores and that culture still exists as a living fossil. Ppl wearing k records and sub pop shirts dropping over $100 on a decemberists first pressing. It’s actually very quaint and endearing.

what is it about pacnw that made it so every 90s grunge band and half the 2000s indie bands like modest mouse and decemberists originated there?

TheSlutPit posted:

I mentioned it in the other thread but his k punk anthology talks about art and music a lot.

ok cool i'll put that on the list

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what rock/ish song from the 2000s would they even use? 7 nation army?

Fat Lip, The Middle, that one The Killers song, Feeling This, Misery Business. Sugar We’re Going Down, that emo Green Day song, 7 Nation Army, Wake Me Up Inside

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Xaris posted:

what is it about pacnw that made it so every 90s grunge band and half the 2000s indie bands like modest mouse and decemberists originated there?

ok cool i'll put that on the list

White dudes with depression thinking about trees and books and heroin or whatever

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

people up in Seattle love talking about how sad they are

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

White dudes with depression thinking about trees and books and heroin or whatever

ya but how is that different than appalachia or the south

maybe the books part? i dont think books exist there

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m actually kind of surprised they haven’t put Wake Me Up Inside (Can’t Wake Up) in a marvel movie yet

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Lonesome Crowded West whips rear end though and I will die on that hill

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LptOM3ErpxM

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

indigi posted:

I’m actually kind of surprised they haven’t put Wake Me Up Inside (Can’t Wake Up) in a marvel movie yet

not sure if this is :thejoke: but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WheBG6KNmI

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that’s not a marvel movie

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Actually, Ohio is for Lovers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What I'm saying is that somehow pop culture has decided, music-wise, that there's Boomer bullshit, new Gen Z stuff, and absolutely nothing in between. But I know there was an in between, because I was fuckin there and I lived it!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

rock is dead

yah but it had a good run. Jazz and crooner music buried at either side

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

TheSlutPit posted:

yah it's a masterpiece

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What I'm saying is that somehow pop culture has decided, music-wise, that there's Boomer bullshit, new Gen Z stuff, and absolutely nothing in between. But I know there was an in between, because I was fuckin there and I lived it!

nine inch nails man and the radiohead guitar player changed film scores forever. if you want your early 2000s white man stuff in a movie that's what you get

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

movie trailers also get slow "epic" remixes of Nirvana and Coolio and probably soon Blink 182

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ViNDbKJlzg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gen Z is currently raiding Gen X and Millennial pop culture and claiming whatever the gently caress they want.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the xer and millenial musicians are still around but they just make beats on the computer now so its pretty easy for them to collab with the zoomers. everything just sort of becomes an aesthetic influence on contemporary pop/rap production

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

why would you stick around in a band making increasingly lovely albums to a shrinking audience when you could be one of the 30 producers credited on a new weeknd album instead

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Alternatively you could do the phil elverum thing where you essentially retreat to the wilderness living on your indie royalties only to re-enter the scene with a 40 minute musical eulogy for your dead wife that makes everyone weep and recontextualizes your entire body of work with a feeling a profound melancholy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

it's good.

i actually like most of modest mouse, though their last good album was we were dead before the ship even sank

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

yah but it had a good run. Jazz and crooner music buried at either side

jazz is insanely popular in europe, only place i've been that has common jazz bars packed to the gills and big appreciation of jazz in contemporary society. that and the trains are the only good things about europe

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

TheSlutPit posted:

Alternatively you could do the phil elverum thing where you essentially retreat to the wilderness living on your indie royalties only to re-enter the scene with a 40 minute musical eulogy for your dead wife that makes everyone weep and recontextualizes your entire body of work with a feeling a profound melancholy

“indie royalties” lmao he’s been putting out records nonstop (largely by himself) for the past 25 years

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

“indie royalties” lmao he’s been putting out records nonstop (largely by himself) for the past 25 years

haha I figured someone was going to call me on this. I love a lot of his mount eerie stuff but I don’t think he would be making a living as a musician if not for the microphones. I do wish him the best though, and I hope he keeps self-releasing stuff.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Xaris posted:

it's good.

i actually like most of modest mouse, though their last good album was we were dead before the ship even sank

The generation after the zoomers will witness the complete destruction of a society complex enough to support a music industry, and all of their songs will have a different sample of Isaac Brock screaming WELL,

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I cut the Avengers Endgame fight scene to Breaking the Habit, wanna watch?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Spangly A posted:

The generation after the zoomers will witness the complete destruction of a society complex enough to support a music industry, and all of their songs will have a different sample of Isaac Brock screaming WELL,

Post-apocalypse guy covering a modest mouse song on a broken guitar with only 3 strings left but it turns out it just sounds exactly like a normal modest mouse song lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It starts with one thing

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As long as the prog rock archives survive it was all worth it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/mmm_machiavelli/status/1553539067463159808

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Xaris posted:

mark fisher's defining trait was that he never shut the gently caress up about music no matter what he was writing about

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat, that's pretty good job security tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/beatleebum/status/1553415196848300032