Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My buddy and I self-radicalized by trying to remember trivia about this guy who we've heard was one of the greatest athletes in the world and finding a Hakuho vs. Harumafuji bout on Jason's channel. God bless Jason, he's such a lovable nerd that made it really easy to get into sumo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Had a poster on a discord server go hard getting people to join them in watching a stream of the September 2019 basho, I was hooked after one day.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I happened to see footage on Japanese NHK News of Onosho seemingly come out of nowhere to smoke his opponent. He was the new? fairly new? talk of the basho. I tuned in to watch him--and stayed for just about everyone else, as it turns out. I'm not sure when that actually was, though I know it was shortly before Harumafuji "retired".

Oh, and when my Japanese exchange student sister stayed with us back in 1994, she brought VHS tapes of all kinds of fun poo poo recorded off her TV, including the whole makuuchi block of some basho. I still have it; might be worth a watch, knowing what I know now. I do remember a positively massive Konishiki facing off against someone a little smaller than Kotoeko who seemed to be seriously reconsidering all the decisions in his life that had led to that particular moment.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 31, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Hirayuki posted:

I do remember a positively massive Konishiki facing off against someone a little smaller than Kotoeko who seemed to be seriously reconsidering all the decisions in his life that had led to that particular moment.

Would it have been one of these? Konishiki vs the Department Store of Techniques, Mainoumi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ZzyH7h1Qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKxyETFgwmQ

Dude had a slight winning record against Konishiki, but he broke his leg in 1996 when Konishiki fell on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD8fCRYXkQM

Mainoumi pops up on the NHK broadcast frequently, either as a guest in the booth or often on ringside.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

1992 November was my first basho, was channel surfing and hit NHK just as the match was starting featuring this gigantic islander I found out later was named Akebono.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Would it have been one of these? Konishiki vs the Department Store of Techniques, Mainoumi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ZzyH7h1Qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKxyETFgwmQ

Dude had a slight winning record against Konishiki, but he broke his leg in 1996 when Konishiki fell on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD8fCRYXkQM

Mainoumi pops up on the NHK broadcast frequently, either as a guest in the booth or often on ringside.
Turns out it was Kitakachidoki, whom Konishiki outweighed by 128 kilos, or one Wakatakakage. He now heads Isenoumi-beya, home of Nishikigi.

But Mainoumi was in this basho! Good call. It's the first day of the Aki basho, September 11, 1994. Mainoumi the komusubi finished 2-13, not so hot; M10 Konishiki finished at 8-7. Ozeki Takanohana swept the basho 15-0 to take home the Emperor's Cup.

At the time, Konishiki was 30 years old, 185 cm tall and weighed 273 kilos, or one Ura plus one Chiyoshoma, having recently gained four kilos. At the time, I asked my host sister how he could even wipe himself. "I don't think he can," she replied.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Marching Powder posted:

literally what got me to search for sumo stuff in sas. it was a highlight reel of a basho where tochi needed 10 wins to regain ozeki. good call.

This is exactly the same video that got me hooked!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I started watching a few years ago, back when there were three yokozuna, two always injured and Hakuho. Then the always injured dudes retired and it was just Hakuho.

Tochi has always been my favourite though!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Akiosan posted:

This is exactly the same video that got me hooked!

huh. just got that 'small world' feeling.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Absolutely would not have recognized him without knowing the pic source, congrats on his new career as an anime villain.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Apraxin posted:

Absolutely would not have recognized him without knowing the pic source, congrats on his new career as an anime villain.

Lol, I saw other photos on twitter, but that's got a real David Lynch's Dune Baron Harkonnen thing going on there.

Apparently he also announced his marriage at the event, which completely ruins my Gaga/Ura ship / sumo conspiracy.

Someone was wondering what Kak was up to?

Came for the DENIM TOTE, stayed for the thirst.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Who here isn't looking for a statue of Chiyonofuji https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/214331???

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
The first video on Hiro's new sumo youtube channel is up. Pretty bland recap of Nagoya.

Personally, I don't mind Hiro. He's like sumo's Mike Goldberg; sure, he may not technically be good at commentary but his goofy nonsense is kind of charming. I fondly remember the one day where he wouldn't stop talking about "juice", and whether the wrestler had any juice in their match, and declared one fight to be a "BYOJ" match, which of course he immediately explained meant "bring your own juice".

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Man I miss the days of Goldberg and Rogan. He wasn't technically the best but his enthusiasm was infectious. Now he's all but gone and Rogan is a whacko.

I'm not super familiar with Hiro, but he's good in my book if he's got the enthusiasm.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Now I want Hiro screaming 'JUST. LIKE. THAT!!!' at the end of every match.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm optimistically looking forward to the promised look into the history and traditions of sumo from this channel. Particularly bits that are hard to find information on in English.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Man I miss the days of Goldberg and Rogan. He wasn't technically the best but his enthusiasm was infectious. Now he's all but gone and Rogan is a whacko.

I'm not super familiar with Hiro, but he's good in my book if he's got the enthusiasm.

Rogan was a whacko too but in comparison to Goldberg he was the knowledgeable ones we only really noticed OH ITS TIGHT more when Goldberg left but we do have memories of the Rogan years where whenever someone grabbed rubber guard Rogan would start orgasming and saying things like "T-Rex control into crackhead control" or how he said "the button" was an actual muscle in the jaw that when hit hard knocked people out hence "hit the button". Or That Cung Le fight.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

An editor is exactly what Hiro needs so I'm 100% behind this youtube

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We need Taz and Excalibur on commentary during tournaments...

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No, we need Vince. He should be free these days

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Who here isn't looking for a statue of Chiyonofuji https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/214331???

i guess this is why a new one's out:

https://tachiai.org/2022/07/31/the-sumo-world-remembers-the-wolf-%e4%b8%83%e5%9b%9e%e5%bf%8c/

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Ross Mihara is great value for body shaming and personal insults. Calling dudes "more fit than fat" and his thinly veiled disgust when commentating on Akiseyama or our other round boys is his main calling card as a commentator. Like dude, it's sumo. Of course there's fat guys!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So he's the Art Donovan of the Sumo World?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Honestly I think Hiro's new thing is really bland and not that great, but we're only two episodes in and my own opinion aside, I'm really glad the JSA has "embraced" YouTube even at this level. More sumo content is better than less sumo content, and if it helps expand the audience, then whatever. I started Sumo by watching Grand Sumo Highlight on NHK and watched that basically until Natto started his channel. I always had Kinta's dailies available but I just chose the one with better production values and I didn't really think twice.

But I also don't want to be unfair to Hiro. I think it's bland and boring, but I just don't really gel with his personal style of commentary, so it's very subjective an opinion on my part. He's not an unknown quantity. If you liked Hiro's other content you'll like this. If you found him uninteresting then.. welp, he's not reinventing himself or anything so you know what you're getting :)

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I don't follow Natto's channel. He doesn't show every match does he?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

He cuts down NHK's daily four hour broadcast, and shows every top makuuchi and juryo match split across youtube videos for each division, and sometimes (always? or maybe the algorithm just doesn't suggest them to me every day) goes lower into makushita as well.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Ross Mihara is great value for body shaming and personal insults. Calling dudes "more fit than fat" and his thinly veiled disgust when commentating on Akiseyama or our other round boys is his main calling card as a commentator. Like dude, it's sumo. Of course there's fat guys!

He also has a fetish for dudes with loooong arms.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i got into sumo in 2018 because of a couple friends who were into it at the time. first basho i watched was mitakeumi's first yusho

some kinda jackal posted:

He cuts down NHK's daily four hour broadcast, and shows every top makuuchi and juryo match split across youtube videos for each division, and sometimes (always? or maybe the algorithm just doesn't suggest them to me every day) goes lower into makushita as well.

they've been covering makushita p regularly lately. i use kinta for makuuchi but will check them out for the lower divisions when i want to watch

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

i got into sumo in 2018 because of a couple friends who were into it at the time. first basho i watched was mitakeumi's first yusho

oh wow i had no idea that it was also tochinoshin's first basho as an ozeki. thought his ozeki tenure was longer than it was. interesting to see what has and hasn't changed in four years. kotoeko and meisei's makuuchi debut!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ahh, okay. Thanks for the info! I'll have to check him out. Regardless of the lower quality, I've stuck with Kintamayama since he had the most comprehensive (that I knew of) coverage of all the matches.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Ahh, okay. Thanks for the info! I'll have to check him out. Regardless of the lower quality, I've stuck with Kintamayama since he had the most comprehensive (that I knew of) coverage of all the matches.

i prefer kinta for english commentary plus some of his comments can be amusing

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

oh wow i had no idea that it was also tochinoshin's first basho as an ozeki. thought his ozeki tenure was longer than it was. interesting to see what has and hasn't changed in four years. kotoeko and meisei's makuuchi debut!

The last time Takakeisho was not sanyaku and the last time Shohozan was.

Lower on the banzuke, Teru just fell out of juryo for the first time since his first rise in 2013 and it was his first of 4 consecutive complete kyujo after a few tournaments of showing up and getting beat because he wasn't in any condition to fight.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Kisenosato :smith:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Kisenosato :smith:

Between Kise's fall and Teru's return, hopefully people take the right lesson about taking the time to heal up.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Honestly I think Hiro's new thing is really bland and not that great, but we're only two episodes in and my own opinion aside, I'm really glad the JSA has "embraced" YouTube even at this level.

Hopefully this is just testing things out because yeah, it's pretty bland and you'd think they could pump out more than a 6 minute highlight reel. Hopefully they can pump out some in depth stuff as they go along.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I guess they have to start at the most recent basho stuff. I'm good with shorter vids if they can take advantage of any JSA archives and show something like the top 20 matches of Teru's career dating back to his initial climb or him clowning on some poor 16 year old in Jondian on his way back.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The channel is probably aimed at a more general audience, not the "has a bookmarked thread to talk about sumo and plays fantasy sumo every basho" crowd.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Shiroc posted:

I would get a Hakuhou one if it was made with the same quality in a heartbeat.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'd probably be in for a Hakuho one too if I had a garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Shiroc posted:

5" and it's $219 bucks!? Wow they think a whole lot of that statue!