Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
skyward sword was a collective hallucination I feel. there's just so very little redeeming about it

link's awakening for switch is fine? it's just a remaster to me, sold at nintendo prices. same game new art style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bad Purchase posted:

hello, i really feel i've been remiss in not reading this thread as a degenerate gamer and frequent gbs poster. but it always had so many unread posts to catch up on that i was overwhelmed and didn't bother.

but finally tonight i decided to skip to the end, whereupon if found this post.

and i am finally posting to tell you that this is a bad post. a very bad post.

the reason is that botw is the best zelda game ever made.

thank you.

It's actually the worst. This is based on the fact that it is the only Zelda I have no interest in ever playing again. I know I'll replay Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass, at some point. But BotW? Naw. I'll play Assassin's Creed Anything instead.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

loving Phantom Hourglass had a part where you had to blow into the microphone to blow out some candles in the game and I was stuck on a plane and couldn't figure out what to do for hours, and it wasn't until i violently sighed into the screen and the candles went out.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

loving Phantom Hourglass had a part where you had to blow into the microphone to blow out some candles in the game and I was stuck on a plane and couldn't figure out what to do for hours, and it wasn't until i violently sighed into the screen and the candles went out.

At which point you jumped up and clapped enthusiastically; Kojima Nintendo have done it again, the maniacs!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Zelda games are fine but not amazing tbh :shrug:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zelda is just the AssCreed of Nippon.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've played botw all the way through 4 times and it's really good :thanks:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Caesar Saladin posted:

The absolute best puzzle was the one where the solution was to literally close your DS. And they even made it so instead of it just putting the system in sleep mode like every other game it played the little puzzle solved jingle. Legit made me say “no way” out loud and refuse to accept it for like five minutes when I figured it out. I don’t know how I did it with no guide or hint, it just popped in my head.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

galagazombie posted:

The absolute best puzzle was the one where the solution was to literally close your DS. And they even made it so instead of it just putting the system in sleep mode like every other game it played the little puzzle solved jingle. Legit made me say “no way” out loud and refuse to accept it for like five minutes when I figured it out. I don’t know how I did it with no guide or hint, it just popped in my head.

Oh that one was awesome because I actually figured it out myself and felt so insanely clever. Like I have a clear memory of my brain clicking and slowly closing the DS being like "is this actually going to work?" and feeling like an absolute genius.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
It really bothers me that in Breath of the Wild the boat goes in the opposite direction that you'd think it should go, based on a basic, intuitive application of newton's third law. Link even takes on a wide, stable stance while waving his leaf, as if to brake against the recoil of pushing air, and yet that force somehow pushes the boat in the opposite direction

I guess the leaf is supposed to be magical or whatever but it is so visually jarring to me that it kind of hurts to watch

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

DontMockMySmock posted:

It really bothers me that in Breath of the Wild the boat goes in the opposite direction that you'd think it should go, based on a basic, intuitive application of newton's third law. Link even takes on a wide, stable stance while waving his leaf, as if to brake against the recoil of pushing air, and yet that force somehow pushes the boat in the opposite direction

I guess the leaf is supposed to be magical or whatever but it is so visually jarring to me that it kind of hurts to watch

it is deeply painful that they do this in a game otherwise so joyfully mechanical and physical. cartoon physics yeah but the basic shapes of the laws are there

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bad Purchase posted:

hello, i really feel i've been remiss in not reading this thread as a degenerate gamer and frequent gbs poster. but it always had so many unread posts to catch up on that i was overwhelmed and didn't bother.

but finally tonight i decided to skip to the end, whereupon if found this post.

and i am finally posting to tell you that this is a bad post. a very bad post.

the reason is that botw is the best zelda game ever made.

thank you.

Lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Breath of the Wild is a game I disliked enough Im not willing to call it fine and it sits in my "genuinely is bad" category

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I will probably never play breath of the wild but I enjoy it being simultaneously the best and worst game ever

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

fridge corn posted:

I will probably never play breath of the wild but I enjoy it being simultaneously the best and worst game ever

did a ton of killer stuff. permanently changed how people approach openworld design. just skip it and play the sequel though lol

the one thing it did that i think nobody else has adequately done is the sparse melancholy storytelling where you're piecing together the prologue little by little via recreating old photos. they probably wont have that in the sequel unfortunately

also i think it's valid to say it's Not a zelda game but this is going to look comical in the future much like the guy upthread saying the whole 3d era is Not zelda. it makes sense but everybody else will move on

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its actually really boring and plays all its cards in the first four hours, and after that its just a bunch of boring blue puzzle rooms and bad ugly dungeons

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

the one thing it did that i think nobody else has adequately done is the sparse melancholy storytelling where you're piecing together the prologue little by little via recreating old photos. they probably wont have that in the sequel unfortunately

Isnt that just dark souls entire schtick except with item descriptions?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the dungeon design sucks farts that's true. the entire dopamine drip of a zelda game showing you a cool unique themed puzzle space every so often is completely absent except for the overworld puzzles, which have so-so rewards

fridge corn posted:

Isnt that just dark souls entire schtick except with item descriptions?

it's a hundred times more upfront than dark souls, because it is not made for dark souls players, but kind of? you get the story out of order yeah, it's a ruined postapoc society, lots of rotting battlefields. the biggest flaw, that it feels like an unpolished tech demo, is also why so much of it works, it's a tech demo full of non-zelda ideas

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
in short hyrule is a land of contrasts

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
ok you know what? two birds with one stone nintendo, remove the annoying loving durability system and add dark souls item description storytelling and botw2 is a top tier zelda. make it a sailing game in an archipelago and it's my favorite game of all time

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I honestly can't possibly imagine how you are getting any satisfaction out of those goofy little cutscenes that show the backstory to that game

The durability system is the cleverest thing about that game and allows you to get strong weapons as rewards without completely negating all other weapons you pick up. Its legit good design and really the only thing I like about it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

ok you know what? two birds with one stone nintendo, remove the annoying loving durability system and add dark souls item description storytelling and botw2 is a top tier zelda. make it a sailing game in an archipelago and it's my favorite game of all time

Some modder should just do a zelda skin for elden ring bish bash bosh breath of the wild 2

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i hit mans to get to the cutscenes op

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
the best legend of zelda game is Hollow Knight

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

I honestly can't possibly imagine how you are getting any satisfaction out of those goofy little cutscenes that show the backstory to that game

The durability system is the cleverest thing about that game and allows you to get strong weapons as rewards without completely negating all other weapons you pick up. Its legit good design and really the only thing I like about it.

The only thing really wrong with botw is the complete lack of good music.

Makes exploring feel extra boring in a game about exploring.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Zelda never really had that great of a sountrack outside of a handful of themes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i played a catboy once. in retrospect, i feel bad. i mean, he might have needed that money for his sick mom or something

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The best Zelda ever made is Alundra on the PS1. All of the good bits, none of the irritating and generic nintendo bullshit that make them all so samey.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think that bamboozling someone in a video game doesn't make you a terrible person. It just makes you kind of a dick, and not even in a meaningful way. Being a terrible person should require some more meaningfully awful behaviour than scamming someone in star citizen, which honestly sounds fun and funny.

Like it makes the game much more immersive but you also have to figure it’ll end with Kim.com becoming a warlord with a squad of 3rd world cubicle farm players scamming 11 year olds out of their birthday money.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Elden Ring is the best Zelda game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tripwood posted:

Elden Ring is the best Zelda game.

Wind Waker is the best Dark Souls game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the bible is the best MMORPG

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rutibex posted:

the bible is the best MMORPG

strawberries are the best cowboys

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the worst Zelda game is soul train, because it has a mic gimmick where you have to skip a note on the pan flute.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

the worst Zelda game is soul train, because it has a mic gimmick where you have to skip a note on the pan flute.

zelda invented mic gimmicks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3QymKxtWUQ

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

precision posted:

Wind Waker is the best Dark Souls game

The stealth section in the pirate prison is even more bullshit than all the Dark Souls gotchas combined. In fact, stealth sections in all Zeldas are pure poo poo.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Stealth sections in any game that isn't stealth focused are awful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Stealth sections in any game that isn't stealth focused are awful.

:hai:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"hey dogg, here's a 10 minute tutorial for a bunch of stealth mechanics. oh, bee tee dubs, there will be exactly one more stealth section in the entire game"

though, to be completely fair, the stealth section at the beginning of The Evil Within is very good, though that doesn't really count because you can use stealth in the rest of the game, if you somehow think that shooting things isn't fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I've recently played Hat In Time, and thought the stealth at the movie studio was how it worked for tghe rest of the game. In the studio it was just a funny invoice bill that got ripped up at the end.

but then all the other stealth sections was "do this minor setup or get reset at the start of the room. minorly miffed that they changed the failure state for no reason at all.