Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fish of hemp posted:

Well who is going to win WW3? Russia ain't doing so hot in Ukraine and China's army produces really cool propaganda films but their fighting ability is still unproven.

probably the side that still has manufacturing capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
ain't doing so hot = having eastern ukraine in the bag and have western powers shoot themselves in the foot over sanctions

fighting ability is still unproven = korea didn't happened

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

Well who is going to win WW3? Russia ain't doing so hot in Ukraine and China's army produces really cool propaganda films but their fighting ability is still unproven.

you don't win wars by 'doing so hot'. You win them by being the side still standing.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
proven fighting capacity = losing against rice farmers and goat herders

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

No probably not, they could only land about one division at a time and that's if everything went off without a hitch, if they encountered any logistical problems or serious resistance the plan falls apart.

The issue for the US wasn’t that the Soviets were going to complete the conquest of the main islands or even if Hokkaido but by even taking a few key ports that would suddenly have a say in Japan’s post war settlement. This is something that the US really really didn’t want to happen along with Soviet movement into Manchuria. If the Soviets got a larger edge in East Asia it was going to be even more difficult to “contain” them.

Looking at the motivations, timing, and the evidence we have: it was very clearly about the Soviets. Those lives were erased (as are Ukrainian lives now) to stick it in the eyes of the Russkis.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Palladium posted:

Yes, Korea happened.

And then what? What do we know about China's fighting capability 70 years later, in 2022?

Is their infantry tought to rely on air superiority? Do they practice mission based tactics or is low level initiative sacrifised in favor of stratecig flexibility?

What kind of war are they planning to fight? Coast line defense based on naval warfare in the west or static or moving infantry warfare on the east?

Do tell If you know.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fish of hemp posted:

Yes, Korea happened.

And then what? What do we know about China's fighting capability 70 years later, in 2022?

Is their infantry tought to rely on air superiority? Do they practice mission based tactics or is low level initiative sacrifised in favor of stratecig flexibility?

What kind of war are they planning to fight? Coast line defense based on naval warfare in the west or static or moving infantry warfare on the east?

Do tell If you know.

ah yes wars are fought on buzzwords

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fish of hemp posted:

Yes, Korea happened.

Do tell If you know.

All warfare is based on deception. 

Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. 

Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him. 

If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. 

If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. 

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fish of hemp posted:

Yes, Korea happened.

Do tell If you know.

i looked in my power scouter and it turns out their fighting ability is over 9000

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

crepeface posted:

i looked in my power scouter and it turns out their fighting ability is over 9000

remember how much US military mumbo-jumbos about how afghanistan is gonna be won?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

a single PLA super soldier vs the weak decidant us navy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6VBMdLArJ8

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Palladium posted:

ah yes wars are fought on buzzwords

If you don't know you can just say that.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Rutibex posted:

All warfare is based on deception. 

Yes.

Is China going to win WW3 or not?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

Having your fighting ability unproven indefinitely is actually how you win

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol just look up the videos of the Chinese and Indian soldiers engaging in melee combat

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

shrike82 posted:

lol just look up the videos of the Chinese and Indian soldiers engaging in melee combat

the one with the flying kungfu kick?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

indigi posted:

I don’t think it would have outlasted Eisenhower in any case. and I bet Mcarthyism still happens

Things like that have their own momentum.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Palladium posted:

ain't doing so hot = having eastern ukraine in the bag and have western powers shoot themselves in the foot over sanctions

Yeah, the PLA is the same army that it was in Korea.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tankbuster posted:

Yeah, the PLA is the same army that it was in Korea.

Xi: oh of course its much weaker than that, trust me bro

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China also won in Vietnam in the 80s, so Korea is not the only reference as far as how the PLA performs

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

gradenko_2000 posted:

China also won in Vietnam in the 80s, so Korea is not the only reference as far as how the PLA performs

What did they won? Territory, prestige, direct say at Vietnamese affairs?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Palladium posted:

Xi: oh of course its much weaker than that, trust me bro

Well how do you know?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah but in the Pacific that came from iron bottom sound and Guadalcanal. comparatively nothing else was like that until Vietnam. it’s not just “how you won wars” it’s also to try prevent things from being as bad for the soldiers/marines and sailors.

it doesn’t work. though it’s probably only Vietnam where they figure that out.

Well also the bombing campaigns against civilian targets.

crepeface posted:

probably the side that still has manufacturing capacity

America produces 17% of the worlds manufacturing output. For reference, China is 29%. It's not that America produces less, in fact output has fairly steadily increased, it's that China has steamed ahead. If America can whip it's allies into supporting it then it still has more production. That's a pretty Laconic if though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fish of hemp posted:

Well how do you know?

very original "not a troll, only sincerely asking questions"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

the only fighting ability that the us has proven lately is fighting a couple of colonial policing actions, mainly by blowing up defenseless people from the sky

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

looking at how poorly Russia is doing half a year on in Ukraine

soldiers don’t want to work anymore

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

America produces 17% of the worlds manufacturing output. For reference, China is 29%. It's not that America produces less, in fact output has fairly steadily increased, it's that China has steamed ahead. If America can whip it's allies into supporting it then it still has more production. That's a pretty Laconic if though.

will the market and Number accept that?

also, where are those numbers from? are they in US dollar numbers or something else?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fish of hemp posted:

What did they won? Territory, prestige, direct say at Vietnamese affairs?

many won and dong

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Well also the bombing campaigns against civilian targets.

Btw, once you readjust for the dollar, it isn’t nearly as impressive.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

Yes.

Is China going to win WW3 or not?

yes

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Can I get some sources on the industrial production stuff? I want to slack off at work tomorrow.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tankbuster posted:

Can I get some sources on the industrial production stuff? I want to slack off at work tomorrow.
:eng101:
China already won ww3 20 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnM-RQI23Y

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fish of hemp posted:

Yes, Korea happened.

Do tell If you know.

There are recent books on PLA doctrine and papers from observers of their exercises. Not sure what your point is here.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

looks like Pelosi may be chickening out on that Taiwan visit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Filthy Hans posted:

the PLA decided letting her live would cause more long-term damage to the US

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe she realized most Americans would not be upset if the the Chinese airforce turned her to mist

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Filthy Hans posted:

turns out living (from a certain point of view) is a key prerequisite to enjoy the fruits of insider trade

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

Btw, once you readjust for the dollar, it isn’t nearly as impressive.

and once you look at what's actually being produced and its utility in a war it's even less impressive

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Rutibex posted:

maybe she realized most Americans would not be upset if the the Chinese airforce turned her to mist

despite the appearance of cunning and malice, a skeletal sorcerer has neither intent, nor life ---it is animated solely by a greater evil. attributing any desire to her is a grave mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

and once you look at what's actually being produced and its utility in a war it's even less impressive

"china is lying about their gdp" as i count my stuff to be 99% made in china within a 10 meter radius