Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pharnakes posted:

Anyone got any standout recommendations for community maps? Or ideally a curated pack?

Confluence has been a consistent favorite for myself and for friends playing the game. My most recent run has been on a much less well made map and I'm feeling the pain, all right. Likely to start over on Confluence again after the next big patch. Hopefully I can figure out a road to profitability other than "oil" this time... abandoned my current save but never even started really breaking even there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Anyone have any tips for early starts? I've attempted them a few times now, and I have the issue that building anything takes too long because of the low cargo size of horse wagons and early trucks and the lack of tower cranes.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Arven posted:

Anyone have any tips for early starts? I've attempted them a few times now, and I have the issue that building anything takes too long because of the low cargo size of horse wagons and early trucks and the lack of tower cranes.

There’s some woefully unbalanced early start US tractors and things, which I do use for a little bit until I get into some mid/late 40’s vehicles that actually have decent speed and capacity.

Really your only option is smaller buildings. There’s a lot of mods for smaller or “rural” or “early” factories that are smaller and sometimes less efficient factories that are much easier to build with crappy vehicles. Alternatively yeah, it’s just gonna take forever sometimes. Building my latest steel complex in the 40’s-50’s took a solid like, three years I think.

There’s a lot of ways to potentially speed up construction but they sort of get into the minutia of how you’ve set up your infrastructure and stuff. (Closer resources, etc)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, if you're doing a 1900s start, things are going to be VERY slow since the technology just isn't there, especially if you're intentionally handicapping yourself by saying that you can't build certain regular size buildings until a certain time.

Unrelated, I've come to learn to love the water and sewage systems, but the key thing has been the 3x3 large water pumps, and a workshop sewage 3x3 "pump." Being able to switch things over a bit at a time without getting turbo hosed because it's all backed up is crucial; otherwise you basically don't have a way to deal with upgrading and expansion beyond straight up duplicating your network to switch it over.

Ask me about doing cosmonaut with water and sewage :negative:

One thing that's honestly crucial, but a little cheaty, is workshop mods to provide "small" versions of otherwise enormous buildings. A regional radio station that DOESN'T take 400 (!!!) steel so that you can actually increase loyalty beyond having Lenin heads staring directly into each building, tiny universities so that you don't end up in an education death spiral, lovely housing that doesn't actually require steel...

For that matter, when would you ever want to do brick buildings over prefab, aside from adding them for VERSIMILITUDE? They're worse in every way; more expensive, more materials, fewer people, etc. At least with the wooden houses you can actually build with local materials without building an entire steel mill infrastructure.

There really needs to be more small sized but comparatively expensive and inefficient buildings for more things. Imagine having to build the large heat plant every time.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 24, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pharnakes posted:

Anyone got any standout recommendations for community maps? Or ideally a curated pack?

I've had fun with the "Tundra" map(s), that author is also gifted for making other maps. My latest effort attempt is on a map called "inner mongolia" I think? One of the workshop pictures shows the word PEACE spelled out with planted trees on one of the softer heights, can't miss it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have been starting from 1932 because that seems to be about the year that I have enough mods that I have vehicles for most 'absolutely necessary' categories.

Has anyone tried earlier? For purely roleplay reasons I wouldn't probably go beyond 1917, but I'm interested in kind of trying a highly distributed, small production set up and trying to kind of do a "lots of small villages" > "building real cities" transition instead of even the 1930's start which is more or less one sort of low-sprawl city before its suddenly the late 40's and I'm already building more or less 'modern' cities even if they're only 4-6 story flats.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 25, 2022

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I have been starting from 1932 because that seems to be about the year that I have enough mods that I have vehicles for most 'absolutely necessary' categories.

Has anyone tried earlier? For purely roleplay reasons I wouldn't probably go beyond 1917, but I'm interested in kind of trying a highly distributed, small production set up and trying to kind of do a "lots of small villages" > "building real cities" transition instead of even the 1930's start which is more or less one sort of low-sprawl city before its suddenly the late 40's and I'm already building more or less 'modern' cities even if they're only 4-6 story flats.

I've only ever tried a 1945-46 start just because it makes sense thematically for me. I mainly wish buildings could be separated by year so I don't have to squint to try and figure out which flats are from the 1970s and 1980s when I'm trying to roleplay like that.

Also, garbage is coming! Sounds like they're adding slag and other industrial byproducts at the same time?

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-55

quote:

Report for the Community #55

Greeting dear comrades of the Soviet Republic. We hope you are doing well and if you are suffering in this heat wave you can at least find some ways how to enjoy some of that. We had whole team on the vacations past weeks so we not made so great progress, but we all vacations are over and we will start in full number tomorrow. If everything goes well then, we will be able to release the update for internal testing in few weeks which means we would like to release it for public testing before the end of August.

The realistic (cosmonaut) mode seems to work fine and one key issue for it to work properly was solved. You will not need helicopters to construct some infrastructure which does not have direct road access. As example we can mention heating pipes which may be of three parts and before you were not able to construct the middle part. Now it will be enough if one end of the whole pipe is connected to a building with a road and the construction offices will be able to approach all pieces from that side. It will also make changes in electric wiring easier to make as you will not need to delete the whole piece to the switch or substation to be able to construct it.

Garbage management

This week we were adding new graphics to the game and now we can show you some brand-new garbage trucks. They are fresh never driven and never loaded so you cannot smell all the garbage they are up to collect in future.

We started to work on garbage management, and it will not be simple garbage collection even there will be a simplified version and a complex version. There will be quite a few added resources and you will have to separate several types of garbage and process them afterwards. Some of waste will be useful in some industrial facilities, other will be burnable. Different industries will produce different waste and you will have to deal with remains of destroyed buildings too - this will be part of complex version. It will add quite a bit of complexity again but hopefully it will not be that difficult to implement into existing Republics as water was because most of the facilities will be easy to build in short enough time.

Help for Ukraine DLC report:

We also want to inform you about Ukraine DLC. There were 3903 units sold in May with net profit* of $18,535.36 which we rounded up to $20.000 and then in June there were 1672 units sold with net profit* of $7590.59 which we rounded up to $8.000 and sent it to the Ukrainian Red Cross. We had to contact them first because the only option how to donate on their website was by Credit Card Payment but then they provided us with a USD account number. They were pleasantly surprised about the initiative and will have an effective use for the money they received.

There is still quite a bit of work ahead of us to prepare the update for release. We hope you can wait a bit longer and give us the time we need to make it fun to play. That is in the end the main reason we all play games. We are looking for fun and ability to do things we cannot do in real life even if it may be a waste of time to certain extent. But in the end, we can learn new things, develop new skills, and even meet new people through our passion for games. We believe that can be the story for all of us so until next time stay safe and enjoy what you got in this life as you are waiting for the upcoming report.

Thank You for Your Support

3Division Team

*net profit is selling price without Valve share and VAT tax (where applicable). Note that selling price is different country to country.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Has anyone got a good basic guide on how to get workers to factories?

I'm getting a problem where a quarter or my population is unemployed due to no workplace, when they all live in the same area in easy distance of the same bus stop, which is connected to only one other bus stop which is is walking distance of all my industries. so What is stopping this 25% from getting to work when the others can do it fine?

There are plenty of job available (or are they the wrong jobs somehow?)
The bus stops are in walking distance of the houses and the industries, as appropriate (I checked with the ingame tool)
There are enough busses I think? (certainly some run empty and I don't see massive numbers of workers piling up at the housing bus stop)

Are the busses too slow causing some workers to time out before they get there? Or will a worker not leave the flat at all unless they know they can complete a journey to a valid destination? Are they maybe getting to the industrial district but timing out before they can walk all the way down the paths to the coal mine? (a particular culprit for being chronically understaffed)

And once I've mastered that, how do you best ensure a steady supply of workers to things like power plants that need a constant rota of shifts? I've done the obvious thing of building it closest to the bus stop, and that ensures that if there are any workers the power plant is running, but sometimes there are no workers at all?

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Are your kindergartens possibly overflowing and causing parents to stay home?

Edit: And for places where a constant workforce is critical, like heating plants, you can directly assign the workplace as a bus stop and then use maybe a pair of microbuses.

sloppy portmanteau fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 25, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bus stops can also cap out - the small ones at like 200 waiting folks - so that might be an issue. I don’t know the exact behavior but they may be doing a quick “Is there work available?” Check, finding no local jobs and a full station, and then reporting “I don’t have a job” even if the station suddenly has space moments later.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I really wish they'd iron out those mechanics before adding more and more infrastructure systems honestly.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Are your kindergartens possibly overflowing and causing parents to stay home?

No, this is specifically the "can't go to work because I can't find a job" category, not the can't go to kindergarten or don't have education.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Edit: And for places where a constant workforce is critical, like heating plants, you can directly assign the workplace as a bus stop and then use maybe a pair of microbuses.

I'm not sure that would help, there's a constant flow of cusses anyway, but like I said there's times when people just aren't turning up at the bus stop for work, so micro buses would have no one to pick up either.

It feels like the game is trying to have shifts of workers, which is cool, but what times of day do they spawn from the apartments? And how do I see what time it is? Can I make bus timetables so they all run in a block in the morning and evenings and don't waste fuel and road space in the day?

How long will a worker wait at a bus stop, and if they've waited almost to long, does that effect how far they'll walk at the other end? Does the time taken to walk to the bus station count as well? Does getting on or off a bus reset the timer at any point?

I've seen people talk about using cable cars for a constant stream of workers, but there isn't a constant stream of workers out of the apartments, so how does that work?

Bus stops can also cap out - the small ones at like 200 waiting folks - so that might be an issue. I don’t know the exact behavior but they may be doing a quick “Is there work available?” Check, finding no local jobs and a full station, and then reporting “I don’t have a job” even if the station suddenly has space moments later.

I don't think that's it, although I have noticed a lot of "passengers" as opposed to workers at the stop, but not 200. Where are they trying to go? The only other bus stop in town is the stop in the industry, which they don't go to, reasonably enough.

Minenfeld! posted:

I really wish they'd iron out those mechanics before adding more and more infrastructure systems honestly.

Or at least just explain them somewhere. I can't even find a wiki article.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Agreed (e: re: Minenfeld). If anything is keeping me from continuing to play the game, it's worker distribution, between the very poor functionality of vehicle transfers, the complete absence of scheduling transit (how am I supposed to make the trains run on time if they can't run on any time?), and the lack of clarity on who's going where and why. Plus other weird fun experiences like "I set this house to provide 40 workers to a building with 60 slots, 25 of them are reporting unemployed" where there's logic to it but a shitload of manual work to make the logic work correctly. That one's especially fun since the original building used as a source had more people than jobs at that one location, which is how I found out that the game has no mechanics for overflow if you assign to a full building; anyone who can't get a job at that one location just stays unemployed instead of returning to the default job search pattern. Good luck manually setting balance percentages to keep everything afloat without filling anywhere too high or leaving anywhere too barren!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Comrades, this is the workers republic. Things are supposed to be riddled with inefficiencies.

Think of Oleksandr at the prefab panels plant. You haven't needed any of them built for 15 years now, but every day Oleksandr (or Yulia or Dmitri) rocks up and does a shift at the samovar and does the pravda crossword. They are living the dream.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

There's "inefficiencies" and there's "my republic is collapsing because I can't get enough workers to mine coal to run the power grid despite almost twice the number of workers I need to keep all shifts going being assigned to its dedicated rail line with frequent trains".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Garbage I think will add an interesting and fun element to the production chains . More traffic too which is always good

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

How long will a worker wait at a bus stop, and if they've waited almost to long, does that effect how far they'll walk at the other end? Does the time taken to walk to the bus station count as well? Does getting on or off a bus reset the timer at any point?

I can't all answer all of your questions, but I'd like to note that if you click on a bus stop and hover over the people waiting icons you'll see in the info panel timers for how long they've waited at the stop, how long they are willing to wait, and also a total time-in-commute timer and its max as well. I think its 2 hours at the stop until they give up and 5 hours commuting total until they call it a day.

Edit: also ive noticed that the total people at the stop is split typically between workers and non workers, I assume the latter are waiting to be taken to university or something but I'm not sure exactly how that works.

I've mostly been managing to bruteforce things by having way more people than I need and embracing 40% unemployment. I just see it as my republic having a national 3 day work week.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 25, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

I don't think that's it, although I have noticed a lot of "passengers" as opposed to workers at the stop, but not 200. Where are they trying to go? The only other bus stop in town is the stop in the industry, which they don't go to, reasonably enough.

"passengers" are people who are looking for downtime services, IMO you should just disable them on all stops unless you are committed to running a horrible precarious republic where people actually take the bus to get services instead of having them all in walking distance. Because yes people will just wait at any nearby bus stop in the vain hope that a bus will arive and transport them to a random location which may or may not have ths services they need. They also compete with workers for waiting space at the bus stop and I am not entirely sure that they are smart enough to check whether or not the service they want is in walking distance before going to the bus stop.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

There's "inefficiencies" and there's "my republic is collapsing because I can't get enough workers to mine coal to run the power grid despite almost twice the number of workers I need to keep all shifts going being assigned to its dedicated rail line with frequent trains".

"Inefficiencies" and "my entire city died because no one went to the power plant when it snowed so it shut down because there's no planning for contingency besides running a bespoke van service for workers or building their house next to the plant."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Major commuting hack: cable cars

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Agreed (e: re: Minenfeld). If anything is keeping me from continuing to play the game, it's worker distribution, between the very poor functionality of vehicle transfers, the complete absence of scheduling transit (how am I supposed to make the trains run on time if they can't run on any time?), and the lack of clarity on who's going where and why. Plus other weird fun experiences like "I set this house to provide 40 workers to a building with 60 slots, 25 of them are reporting unemployed" where there's logic to it but a shitload of manual work to make the logic work correctly. That one's especially fun since the original building used as a source had more people than jobs at that one location, which is how I found out that the game has no mechanics for overflow if you assign to a full building; anyone who can't get a job at that one location just stays unemployed instead of returning to the default job search pattern. Good luck manually setting balance percentages to keep everything afloat without filling anywhere too high or leaving anywhere too barren!

This is actually something the game can do, but the trick is that if you assign specific workplaces to a building the building will only consider those workplaces. It does, however, overflow between places that it is assigned to. So if you want to prioritize a building for workers, assign a residence to that building but also assign it some other workplaces and set the main place you want them to work to a high percentage. If that workplace is full, they will overflow into other assigned buildings, the only thing they won't do is go anywhere that they are not assigned to consider as an option.

I would probably say that this should not be the default behaviour and instead it should default to just going back into the general labour pool yes, but you can bodge that by just giving them a few fallback options in the assigned workplaces.

euphronius posted:

also yes cable cars 4 lyfe, friendship ended with trains, now cable cars are my best friend.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I figured out the problem with my early starts taking forever. First, there is no need to build anything but dirt roads because nothing goes over 30 kph. Second, and this was the main problem, horse road cranes don't work if you have the deliver mechanisms box checked.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Minenfeld! posted:

"Inefficiencies" and "my entire city died because no one went to the power plant when it snowed so it shut down because there's no planning for contingency besides running a bespoke van service for workers or building their house next to the plant."

I mean, I think there's plenty to complain about but I don't agree with this being one of them. You can build residences within walking distance, use trains, trams, helicopters, cable cars. Run more plows, run personal cars. These all have downsides, but they're all extremely viable options as contingencies. There are absolutely failure cases, though - If you have requirements of "Has to be close to the coal facility, but far enough away that pollution won't hurt my city" all of a sudden it becomes way worse to handle this situation, but these are the trade-offs. Honestly, that's what I *like* about the game, is that you actually have a lot of options for these sorts of things and some of them absolutely don't work well. Not everything is going to be best or even viable, but that's what helps build the variety in your approach to things. I agree winter can be extremely frustrating if you get screwed, but I don't think its because the game isn't giving you enough options to deal with it. My last winter death spiral I hit was because I started a horrible traffic jam when the plows all came out around a totally overloaded intersection combined with nearby construction offices flooding vehicles into the same small area at the same time. It sucked, but that's not "My entire city died because I didn't use One Weird Trick," ya know? This was a set up that was otherwise stable for years, but it wasn't robust because of my road network that just happened to hit a worst tails case. I think I've likely fixed this going forward by adding a few bypass roads with some priority signs and relocating some crucial traffic-driving buildings (construction offices, gas station.)

SkyeAuroline posted:

For sure there are a whole host of problems around trying to set up these sorts of things and there shouldn't be. I think a lot of it is just that very specific mechanics/behaviors that are horribly unexplained and need to be documented for players. For example, what does "Force out at stop" for workers do? It's meant as a line-transfer tool, but how exactly does it work? For example, what if I set up a central bus station in a commercial district? The behavior I'm looking for is for buses to drop off workers to fill that commercial district, but then leave the rest of the workers at that central stop to be picked up by regional buses for other facilities. How do I do this? Do I force out everyone and it just works? Do I force out everyone, but also add every workplace in walking distance to the "go work here" list for the station? Do I need to use two stations like prior to the "force out" mechanic? I'm almost sure that the behavior I want exists and, probably, isn't that hard to set up if you know how every element works. The game is abhorrent about telling you how some elements work, especially in mechanics in the past year or so.

I think a lot of the issues we all run into are just purely communication. When I hear "weird fun experiences like "I set this house to provide 40 workers to a building with 60 slots, 25 of them are reporting unemployed" I'd be willing to bet that the issue is that the mechanics are all 'working as intended' but the way they're presented and you're using them isn't right. Definitely not an indictment of you - The game should still be helping you figure out this issue. Today it either isn't giving you the information, or its buried, obscured, or just simply non-obvious to address it. At the same time, you might actually have the information you need already, but we don't know the exact behavior of every mechanical element and how they are supposed to work in concert with each other. These are the real failures the game has and requires really annoying "testing." I've wanted to do a lot of this and write a steam guide, but guess what, its really frustrating to set up and pretty unfun. It needs addressing by the devs, they should have a verbose in-game encyclopedia for these things.

SkyeAuroline posted:

the complete absence of scheduling transit (how am I supposed to make the trains run on time if they can't run on any time?)

I only wanted to pick on this because one issue I've had is trying to run way too thin on population and trying to dictate things like other factory games allow. You might not be doing this, but if you're trying to do the math of "There are 200 people that need to work here per shift therefore I need to run 3 trains, one every eight hours, and this suburb feeds 220 workers to it so that has some overhead" you're going to have a *really* bad time. I've definitely taken a far, far more heuristic approach to filling workplaces. My first town I flood my power and heating plants, then the construction industries, then have the coal mine be a "dump" for extra workers. I generally do this by having the other lines have a slightly higher frequency than the coal mine line. It requires some observation and occasional tuning, especially once I replace vehicles on the lines. I need to make sure that I'm not exporting something that will draw to heavily on coal - or if I do, there's a backstop that prevents over-production. This is all because I don't expect to fill my coal production here because they're just the "keep people employed" overhead. If you're really to a point of thinking "I need trains scheduled every six hours on the dot to get exactly the right amount of workers that I'll split 30/30/40 at this stop precisely or everything shuts down" I think you may need to sort of approach differently, it isn't isn't built for that. That's the 'inefficiency' that comes with the system.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 26, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah having non-essential industries that area basically just a labour sink for people with nothing else to do is a good idea. Because you can't rigidly schedule things. You can set up priorities using a variety of the tools available to you from actual priority listings in workplace assignments to a hierarchy in where your worker shipments go, but ultimately you're gonna have some people left over or places are gonna be understaffed, and both of those are fine, just so long as you make sure the understaffing is in non-critical areas and the oversupply isn't excessive to the point it makes people unhappy. Your republic should have some unemployment because that's your reserve labour force.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Pharnakes posted:

No, this is specifically the "can't go to work because I can't find a job" category, not the can't go to kindergarten or don't have education.

This is strange, if you're getting 25% of the population in the "can't find a job" category, with plenty of jobs, those jobs must be out of range, or citizens somehow blocked off from seeing them as valid workplaces.

Are you playing on a map with a starting population? Those would be counted and need to be in range of jobs.
Are there assigned workplaces on any of the residential buildings or on the bus stops?
Are the buses set to only drop off a certain percentage at the bus stop?
Check on a bus when it has workers on it and near the end of the line what the citizens time traveled is.
Is there rampant alcoholism? Though I doubt they'd fall in to the cant find a job category, but I've never allowed my citizens to drink so I don't know.
Also try and disable passengers on your bus stops to better see what's going on.

sloppy portmanteau fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 26, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Minenfeld! posted:

Interestingly, with the most recent version, they seem to actually be building in a measure of slack. It appears workers can go to otherwise full buildings to provide a minor overflow for shift change it seems, meaning, you don't hit the "quitting time at the nuke plant, time for the country to shut down" problem as easily.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Soviet Dril tweet but with monuments

euphronius posted:

This is actually true, and it's actually better than the other options for one main reason: you are providing a near steady drip feed of workers from source to destination. This means that shift overlaps will be just a few people at a time, so you don't have to worry about something showing up, providing a giant glut of workers, then preventing the backlog of other vehicles from dropping people off.

In my recent game, I've created a cable car station to transit over the mountain between the coal and power facilities, and the cable car station. Everything is within walking distance of the destination station (there are a few parking lots but people don't use them, it is glorious), the queue at the station is manageable since it just constantly hovers around a certain amount, and the power facility they go to is powering the cable cars so they ensure their own continued movement.

They're definitely somewhat situational, but they're not affected by snow, don't stop to refuel and throw the schedule off, and don't have feast or famine problems. They're also surprisingly affordable when you consider total cost, with the biggest problem being getting construction vehicles to the pylons you've placed if you're playing Cosmonaut.

The only problem is that my college educated citizens will enqueue but not actually take the cable car, preferring to be starving philosophers or something. They have no problem queueing up for construction jobs, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We are eventually getting subways as well

But yes cable cars are amazing. My last game included a large city with basically four quadrants residential around a core of services . each quadrant had a large cable car station which sent workers out to one of four work campuses. No buses at all to support thousands of jobs

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

euphronius posted:

We are eventually getting subways as well

But yes cable cars are amazing. My last game included a large city with basically four quadrants residential around a core of services . each quadrant had a large cable car station which sent workers out to one of four work campuses. No buses at all to support thousands of jobs

Also, worth noting since someone doesn't believe passengers should exist, inter city busses can actually be useful. Having a separate bus stop for passengers and workers (or sufficient vehicles to ensure the one doesn't effect the other) is a pretty straightforward way to handle passengers / students crowding out workers and vice versa. You may want to do this for a smaller settlement that you are ok building a food shop for, but not a hospital or cinema, and setting up a few mini busses with line spacing. Or, if your city grows large enough that you have housing in places that cannot walk to more expensive essential locations like the above, and you don't want to give them cars as the solution. You definitely don't need to give every town its own university!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mostly my aversion to using passenger services is that it adds another point of failure. Also in 90% of cases you don't want them so they probably shouldn't be on by default. But yes you can use them if you want to, though I admit I tend to just build large settlements that get all the services for that reason.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In my last game I was having issues creating student demand in satellite town bus stops to be fed into a central university .

I may have missed something but maybe they just all teleport themselves to the dorms attached to the university

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think yes they do sort their own transportation out, similar to migrating to new residential buildings.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yep, I think the entire purpose of the dorms is not needing to manage bus service there for students.

Actually, on the subject of roads, I like the idea of road priority where you can specify "this is the main road, everyone else can yield to it." What I don't like is that this means:

• Vehicles taking an onramp will become the most nervous drivers, unwilling to go if there's another vehicle anywhere nearby. There's no way to allow for an onramp LANE of some kind, or have vehicles in oncoming traffic move over to let people on. My beautiful cloverleaves and flyover ramps :ussr:
  • If you have any not dirt roads with junctions, and any vehicles that can surpass 50kph, you must MANUALLY set these values or it defaults to "everyone slows down a little to 50 before proceeding" which is just obnoxious. Even when there's no traffic anywhere around.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 26, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Yep, I think the entire purpose of the dorms is not needing to manage bus service there for students.

Actually, on the subject of roads, I like the idea of road priority where you can specify "this is the main road, everyone else can yield to it." What I don't like is that this means:

• Vehicles taking an onramp will become the most nervous drivers, unwilling to go if there's another vehicle anywhere nearby. There's no way to allow for an onramp LANE of some kind, or have vehicles in oncoming traffic move over to let people on. My beautiful cloverleaves and flyover ramps :ussr:
  • If you have any not dirt roads with junctions, and any vehicles that can surpass 50kph, you must MANUALLY set these values or it defaults to "everyone slows down a little to 50 before proceeding" which is just obnoxious. Even when there's no traffic anywhere around.

Yeah the "Onramp" problem really fucks with traffic circles badly, though making the tiniest Y intersection for each connection to the circle helps quite substantially. Still not totally perfect, though.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Can you not chain aggregate storages together?

Any idea why the second storage isn't filing up from the first? They both have power, and the second storage is totally empty, there's no gravel or anything blocking it from taking coal.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chaining behavior is.. weird. Some things just can't be chained beyond a single connection (forklifts), other things can be chained forever but they need some sort of pump to push product along then chain. Try using a conveyor tower to connect them, I think it will act as a 'pump'.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah that set up needs a tower. The towers are effectively the engine that pushes resources downstream. There are some cases where you don’t need one as buildings can often “pull” as well, but to be safe in most cases I always have at least one tower between any two buildings.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Yeah that set up needs a tower. The towers are effectively the engine that pushes resources downstream. There are some cases where you don’t need one as buildings can often “pull” as well, but to be safe in most cases I always have at least one tower between any two buildings.

My understanding - which might have been what you meant - is that storages will pull from producers, and producers will pull from storages, but any chained storages need a tower in between. That's how I always plan my designs, anyway, and have never had a problem.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah a tower fixed it thanks, and led to this delightful spaghetti.

Now a couple more questions. How do I get a snow plow to actually plow? I have one, and I assigned it to my two bus stops as that's the first priority to clear, but it just shuttles between them at 38km/h, doing nothing as far as I can see, and it seems to say if it was plowing it would go at 23km/h. Do I need to load it with salt somehow? Represented by gravel maybe? It doesn't seem to have capacity though. Or somehow actually tell it to engage the plow? It's not currently snowing but it has snowed, and everything has slowed to a crawl. So far power and heating remain on though :ohdear:

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 31, 2022

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Yeah a tower fixed it thanks, and led to this delightful spaghetti.

Now a couple more questions. How do I get a snow plow to actually plow? I have one, and I assigned it to my two bus stops as that's the first priority to clear, but it just shuttles between them at 38km/h, doing nothing as far as I can see, and it seems to say if it was plowing it would go at 23km/h. Do I need to load it with salt somehow? Represented by gravel maybe? It doesn't seem to have capacity though. Or somehow actually tell it to engage the plow? It's not currently snowing but it has snowed, and everything has slowed to a crawl. So far power and heating remain on though :ohdear:

For plows to plow they need to be assigned to a road maintenance whatever it's called, it automatically dispatches them when there's snow based on priorities for types of road. Afaik there's no way to just have one plow do one section between set points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
You can play with the priority logic a bit, depending on what else you've built in the area. In particular if you want most focus on a single road, but can't justify a divided highway/trolleyway/streetlighting down it all, you can build like 10m long stretches of one of those at either end and if the road you want covered is the most direct path between them IIRC the plow AI will happily go "well I did this trolley road, now I drive to the next trolley road with the plow down".

There are also 1km, 2km, and 3km range settings to keep them from working their way to other parts of the map that may use these in earnest.