Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Chonchon posted:

Serious question would nuclear war actually cancel out climate change
more or less
https://twitter.com/mark_lynas/status/1502213470216929281
https://twitter.com/mark_lynas/status/1502213473593434112
https://twitter.com/mark_lynas/status/1502213476911042560
https://twitter.com/mark_lynas/status/1502213480396603395

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

goochtit posted:

more or less

okay great, so just enough nukes for 1.5 degree cooling, but not so many nukes, okay that's great

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ben shapino posted:

so how are you guys going to kill yourselves

Poverty lol

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The roving chud gangs will likely take care of that for me.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

ben shapino posted:

so how are you guys going to kill yourselves

inert gas for me

I'm going to allow my cats to feed upon my flesh and brain so that their descendants can rebuild civilization

in all seriousness im just gonna see how it goes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm going to live a full and happy life and die naturally at a ripe old age surrounded by loved ones

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So alzheimers.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I hear that there's a lot of research going into that

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

You are not allowed to kill yourself

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

great news!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Fried Watermelon posted:

You are not allowed to kill yourself

[tapping The Official Thread Position sign]

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I swear someone in this thread was talking about vacuum sealing bags of unroasted coffee beans for long term storage?

My reading is that even with a freezer you're looking at something that gets a lot shittier within a year or two, and the idea that long term deep freeze will be viable once coffee production is not strikes me as odd.

I am just enjoying all the coffee I can right now, expect to have bigger worries than CAN'T GET MAH SPEED BEANS in a world where I can't get mah speed beans.

Flunky posted:

great news!

This (birdsite) thread is predicated on poo poo popping off with a ton of mostly white people dying in nuclear fire, so that does seem like something this thread would generally support?

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Jul 31, 2022

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts about climate change?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what leftist podcasters are you talking about that hit it big and turned into psychopaths?

Hasan, tyt, Seder, etc

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I swear someone in this thread was talking about vacuum sealing bags of unroasted coffee beans for long term storage?

My reading is that even with a freezer you're looking at something that gets a lot shittier within a year or two, and the idea that long term deep freeze will be viable once coffee production is not strikes me as odd.

I am just enjoying all the coffee I can right now, expect to have bigger worries than CAN'T GET MAH SPEED BEANS in a world where I can't get mah speed beans.

This (birdsite) thread is predicated on poo poo popping off with a ton of mostly white people dying in nuclear fire, so that does seem like something this thread would generally support?

just stockpile adderall and modafinil

your local college kids will sell them at the killer bargain rate of $5 a pop

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Chonchon posted:

your local college kids will sell them at the killer bargain rate of $5 a pop
20 years ago I sold a ton of 20mg pills for 2 bucks a pop and it would hurt my brain to pay more. Also I hate speed. Thanks, though.

Anyway,

"Climate change is just a series of increasingly realistic AI renders, until you can't tell the difference between generative images and what you see out the window"??

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Perry Mason Jar posted:

[tapping The Official Thread Position sign]

[frowns deeply and taps sign more insistently]

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

my official thread position has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my official thread position

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I already got my hockey mask and leather thong set for the waste land. Join me.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

kill myself? my my.... and miss all the fun? i don;t think so

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
But seriously, we're bringing back the temperature conditions that existed in the Triassic, don't you want to see dinosaurs?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm going to take care of my kids and my cats as best as I can until I die. What else can I do? The die is cast. I fully expect massive social change/collapse in the next 20-30 years. Hopefully I live to see it!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ikanreed posted:

But seriously, we're bringing back the temperature conditions that existed in the Triassic, don't you want to see dinosaurs?

We already have a Florida.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm pretty sure these aren't supposed to be used outdoors, they're for poo poo like book cases or built in fancy silverware cabinets, I used to have poo poo like this and you can tell because the cames aren't sealed, or they don't look like it when I try to zoom in

I'm actually kinda upset too see this lol the wood is gonna be ruined and everything these are going to go bad in like <2 years if you didn't do the outside facing part correctly

The best case scenario for these having ever been external to the house they were originally for I think is that they could have been the inner pane and hinge inwards, and then the outer part would have been old style storm windows or something

I'm sorry you're upset and also jealous that that's what you're mainly upset about

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

I'm going to take care of my kids and my cats as best as I can until I die. What else can I do? The die is cast. I fully expect massive social change/collapse in the next 2-3 years. Hopefully I live to see it!

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

honestly i don't think there's even anything specifically wrong with the billionaires as human beings. the hoarding, number obsession thing is deeply human; look at MMO players, people climbing comp shooter ladders, playing EVE. this is just what happens when humans accrue that kind of power and make decisions with these kinds of stakes without being mentally inoculated against those natural psychological impulses. that's why I've said and maintain that the Great Filter is capitalism. put any random person through the process of accruing a whole shitload of money and they will also turn into a psychopath; I mean, look at any leftist podcaster/streamer that hit it big for an example.

the truth is the game was rigged from the start

I gotta say this attempt at empathy seems more morally questionable than you might've intended even if there is some truth to it. Structural position shapes and enables these tendencies but doesn't determine what actions are ultimately taken -- the evidence overwhelmingly supports that the ruling class goes well beyond merely benefiting from exploitation to act with excessive criminal impunity in all manner of arenas public and private. There are also a few who simply do not do this of course, or try to do at least a modest amount of good in addition to being monsters in other ways.

Bathtub Cheese has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Jul 31, 2022

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i have as much empathy for capitalists as they do for brown people at the receiving end of a hellfire missile

some people deserve to die

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Slow News Day posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts about climate change?

The first go to is radio eco shock, drilled is a good one for the non-scientific aspects (one season focuses on how denialism came to be, another focuses on how it's affecting the livelihood of fishermen and whales, etc)

Those are the only good ones I know of, there are others tho,q the creator of drilled has a current climate events podcast but it's on the pod save America guys company so :barf:, the NYT had a hopium one

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

well there's the Elden Ring DLC, and then the next Fromsoft game. after that we'll see what it's like outside

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I gotta say this attempt at empathy seems more morally questionable than you might've intended even if there is some truth to it. Structural position shapes and enables these tendencies but doesn't determine what actions are ultimately taken -- the evidence overwhelmingly supports that the ruling class goes well beyond merely benefiting from exploitation to act with excessive criminal impunity in all manner of arenas public and private. There are also a few who simply do not do this of course, or try to do at least a modest amount of good in addition to being monsters in other ways.

there is no need to have empathy for the capitalists, nor do I think the post is an attempt at it. Capital necessarily produces many more potential capitalists than it has niches for, and every one gets both chances to proceed or exit their path along the way. to become what Capital needs, you have to want it and work hard at it. every billionaire was once a normal person who would hesitate to act with excessive criminal impunity, and every one who eventually become a billionaire worked hard to extinct that hesitation. once they cross some as yet undetermined critical threshold, the process becomes irreversible.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

I'm going to take care of my kids and my cats as best as I can until I die. What else can I do? The die is cast. I fully expect massive social change/collapse in the next 20-30 years. Hopefully I live to see it!

20-30 years? it’s happening now

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

biceps crimes posted:

20-30 years? it’s happening now

seriously, one of the big drivers of our current inflation that no one's talking about is how hosed up supply chains are atm, and they're not going to get any better

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Egg Moron posted:

Why doesn't some slick madman just take over the world and then produce 7 billion shovels and then give everyone a shovel and tell them to dig a hole and die in it

youve got my vote

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, it's funny how the "just far enough into the future so I don't need to care too much" narrative keeps holding despite rapidly accelerating evidence of imminent collapse.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
20,000 years of this, seven six more to go

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

what a wild and crazy trip it has been

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Shifty Nipples posted:

what a wild and crazy trip it has been

Well it started wild, anyway.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Unless posted:

the apparatus that would do so is simultaneously bloated and overconfident

they’ll have already won if they keep us too scared to do meaningful work

ELTON JOHN posted:

smokey bear is a dumb piece of poo poo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All but this here now was the purest ambivalence. Nothing but this same life lived differently, or else this different life lived just the same. Such a dreary loving cataclysm; this end-of-the-world which, after all, did not end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mayor Dave posted:

seriously, one of the big drivers of our current inflation that no one's talking about is how hosed up supply chains are atm, and they're not going to get any better

what if we ignored that and pretended they will get better?