Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

rufius posted:

I’ll be honest, I literally only know two things about Ohio: one of the major cities managed to set their river on fire AND there’s some sort of music hall of fame there.

I have exactly zero intention of going to Ohio.

Florida on the other hand… I went to college there. The food in Miami owns. That’s about it.

I visited my wife's family in Ohio until they passed away. Columbus/Cincinnati have had a decent enough revival of their downtowns in the past 10-15 years, with the usual influx of cocktail bars/breweries/New American restaurants/boutique shops/etc. If someone can't find enough things to do there for a convention weekend, the problem's with them, not the city. :shrug:

I haven't spent a ton of time in Florida beyond the usual locations, but I have to believe that most parts of Florida are the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

OSU medical center is pretty good from what I've seen of it (onc and bmt units)

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Anno posted:

As a lifelong Ohioan, Florida is one of maybe three or four states I consider absolutely worse than Ohio. We have seasons here at least, and will be better off in the Great Water Wars to come.

Is that when militias start battling over potable water or when rising sea levels cover the Earth and we become Waterworld

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

knox_harrington posted:

OSU medical center is pretty good from what I've seen of it (onc and bmt units)

Yeah they have poured absolutely ludicrous amounts of money in there.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Is that when militias start battling over potable water or when rising sea levels cover the Earth and we become Waterworld

Both. GWW1 and GWW2.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Cincinnati is alright, there's plenty to do. I've spent a lot of time there for work. I might have considered moving there if I didn't have kids. There's the typical midwestern city meth problem and crime but it's not a huge deal if you are even slightly street smart.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

KingSlime posted:

I liked Cleveland but I'm from dogshit state Texas and it never got cold when I was in Cleveland, I think the worst was high 50s with a pretty harsh wind. My friends were like oh yeah this is great weather for Cleveland

No traffic, cheap rents, basically the exact same "local business so organic bro" chains you'll see in Austin, nice neighborhoods and tons of businesses everywhere, really nice parks, tons of sports, what's there to hate?

The cold and the poverty probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cleveland managed to not quite turn into Detroit, but it got really close. Lots of people moved out starting in the 60s and it’s like 1/3 the peak population. They’ve managed to start revitalizing the city and bring some life back into it. They also have Cleveland Clinic and a couple of universities that pump a lot of economic activity into the city.

It’s generally GWM to live there since property is pretty cheap, but there are still some high paying jobs around. Huge chunks of the city are still in extreme poverty though, and some neighborhoods are in that transition zone where you have brand new houses down the street from ones about to fall over. At least they still have train lines.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I tried to go back to Ohio..... But my city was gone.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Bahaha, so many people sent me this a week before my trip! Not going to lie I went with very low expectations partly due to this video but Cleveland is much nicer and prettier than this!

At least the parts I went to, lots of restaurants, bars, entertainment etc. Also a premium apartment in the heart of downtown right next to like four different bar districts runs you around $1,400.... Don't tempt me Ohio!!!

Ultimately, the cold would ruin it for me, but as a Texas native I can't help but roll my eyes when I hear another native start dogging on Cleveland. Like bro maybe go there first and leave our failed state for half a second! Is everyone desperately trying to convince themselves that Austin is totally worth the money by ragging on all other major cities all the time? Like we ain't got deep deep problems here lmao

I don't want to be known as the Ohio defender. Please don't put that in the newspapers. But all of the sudden Ohio hate around here in TX is giving me similar trashy "gently caress Californians they ruin everything" vibe

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KingSlime posted:

Bahaha, so many people sent me this a week before my trip! Not going to lie I went with very low expectations partly due to this video but Cleveland is much nicer and prettier than this!

At least the parts I went to, lots of restaurants, bars, entertainment etc. Also a premium apartment in the heart of downtown right next to like four different bar districts runs you around $1,400.... Don't tempt me Ohio!!!

Ultimately, the cold would ruin it for me, but as a Texas native I can't help but roll my eyes when I hear another native start dogging on Cleveland. Like bro maybe go there first and leave our failed state for half a second! Is everyone desperately trying to convince themselves that Austin is totally worth the money by ragging on all other major cities all the time? Like we ain't got deep deep problems here lmao

I don't want to be known as the Ohio defender. Please don't put that in the newspapers. But all of the sudden Ohio hate around here in TX is giving me similar trashy "gently caress Californians they ruin everything" vibe

I agree with the general vibe of this post. Maybe this has changed because I've gotten older and lived/traveled more, maybe it's changed because of the increasing homogenization of culture (at least, in some ways), maybe it's just straight white male privilege, but I've found I have less tolerance for people who make blanket statements about say, only being able to live in California, or NYC, or ***. There are plenty of pretty reasonable places to live across the country/world with their own plusses/minuses. :shrug:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

California should sink into the sea

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

I agree with the general vibe of this post. Maybe this has changed because I've gotten older and lived/traveled more, maybe it's changed because of the increasing homogenization of culture (at least, in some ways), maybe it's just straight white male privilege, but I've found I have less tolerance for people who make blanket statements about say, only being able to live in California, or NYC, or ***. There are plenty of pretty reasonable places to live across the country/world with their own plusses/minuses. :shrug:

I agree generally, and also, yes it is straight white male privilege talking. As a trans person, Texas, Florida, a whole bunch of states are not really liveable right now

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

We were actually thinking about buying a newly built luxury condo in Cleveland as a second home because they have a 15 year tax abatement for new construction. It’s a fun city, but I wouldn’t want to live there full time.

Re: Austin, a friend is in town for work and told us that they house he bought there 3 years ago for $500k is near $1million estimated now and his property taxes are $12k per year. He said the city is growing and changing too fast.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also your job exists in rural areas, which is a lot less viable for a lotta peeps

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

California should sink into the sea

That'll be the day I go back to Annandale

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Pretty much any affordable city is a good place to live right now. That wasn't the case in the 80s-early 90s when violent crime was much higher.

Austin is probably the worst city in Texas these days but people want to act like it's some kind of omni-Mecca.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

greazeball posted:

That'll be the day I go back to Annandale

I appreciate this reference.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Residency Evil posted:

as much racism as there is all over the US, i'll stick to places where at the very least try to actually prosecute the guy who murders me because i'm not white.

is cleveland like that? maybe. but i can't imagine the entire area around cleveland to be any better and if something did happen to me in cleveland... would they just shrug it off? not really worth it for me to find out.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I was born and raised in Florida and escaped to Seattle when I was 30. There are still a few things I miss about it, like the Cuban and Greek food, the beaches. I'd still choose Florida over Ohio.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The junk collector posted:

Pretty much any affordable city is a good place to live right now. That wasn't the case in the 80s-early 90s when violent crime was much higher.

Austin is probably the worst city in Texas these days but people want to act like it's some kind of omni-Mecca.

Everything in Austin is double what it should be and not as cool. If I’m going to pay these prices I’d rather be somewhere like California or Colorado and have something worthwhile nearby.

Houston is the low key actual cool city that’s still very affordable and I hate that my job took me away from it to move to loving Austin.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I know Houston's not walkable at all but what about Austin?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's still Texas, idk about gambling with wet bulb conditions and deliberately-wounded power infrastructure

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

I know Houston's not walkable at all but what about Austin?

Depends on the area but no not really. More bike lanes that get ignored by cars though!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Austin is 100% not walkable unless you live in a very specific set of intersections and never have to travel more than 2-3 miles from home. In other words hard no

The public transport is absolutely miserable, painfully slow, and it doesn't even cover a lot of the city. Like the bus routes just stop randomly

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Strong Sauce posted:

as much racism as there is all over the US, i'll stick to places where at the very least try to actually prosecute the guy who murders me because i'm not white.

is cleveland like that? maybe. but i can't imagine the entire area around cleveland to be any better and if something did happen to me in cleveland... would they just shrug it off? not really worth it for me to find out.
Cleveland’s PD has been operating under a consent decree since 2014. Assume they’re trash (because they are cops).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cleveland cops executed a 12 year old black child, so yea they suck a lot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Texas, including its cities, is straight up the go-to case study for what happens when there is functionally no zoning regulation.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Cleveland cops executed a 12 year old black child, so yea they suck a lot.

Well, yeah, but the cop who shot the kid was totally... Fired.

Not for shooting the kid, but for lying on his job application.

So, y'know, justice was served.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regional newspaper posted an article about how people around here gotten hosed by some pyramid shitcoin site called MarketPeak (PEAK coin?). Same article mentions some new vultures that showed up around here, creating a new coin, that's "free" and an educational tool, and eventually, intends to "reimburse" victims of MarketPeak by collecting real money via affiliate links (without any real explanations about what, where or who would collaborate on that poo poo) and redistributing said money to the coin holders (without any details on how the payouts are weighted).

Now for the interesting thing: Said group is offering to exchange people's "worthless" PEAK coins for their new shitcoin, and no one seems to be suspicious about that factoid in anyway. And it seems a lot of people are jumping on that offer. From what I can find out about this PEAK poo poo, it still has some remaining value, yet that new shitcoin has none at all. It has scam written in bright red glowing letters all over it. Yet people seem to happily exchanging their PEAK coins in the hopes to get new future riches.

I feel like I'm in a fever dream. Especially because of the population size of that region I live and the amount of individual users from around here that are shilling about this poo poo all over Facebook.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"People that fell for a previous scam" is inherently a pool of people likely to fall for your new scam.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh, I forgot, the initiator of that new coin has a rap sheet for fraud and embezzlement, but that doesn't seem to deter the gullible idiots either. "Gotta let the past be past."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

KingSlime posted:

Austin is 100% not walkable unless you live in a very specific set of intersections and never have to travel more than 2-3 miles from home. In other words hard no

The public transport is absolutely miserable, painfully slow, and it doesn't even cover a lot of the city. Like the bus routes just stop randomly

Plus, you know

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Discendo Vox posted:

Texas, including its cities, is straight up the go-to case study for what happens when there is functionally no zoning regulation.

You're thinking of Houston, which is a sprawling mess where someone can put up a subdivision next to a factory with no questions asked. There's no non-car planning, density is terrible, and if you haven't been run over on a bike yet, a teenager with a lifted truck will take care of it for you.

Austin has the opposite problem, where most of the housing in the core of the city is owned by a bunch of boomers who also control zoning boards. Increased density has to be approved almost per development, and is very often rejected. This part of the city is still very manageable with walking, bikes, and transport though. But one of the results of population growth without increased housing density is that people have been moving more and more to the suburbs around Austin, most of which are the standard American expanse of suburbs that are too spread and isolated out to be realistically walkable or support a critical mass of public transport.

Mustache Ride posted:

Plus, you know

This isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be (source: commuted by bike in an Austin suburb for ~4 yrs pre-pandemic). You take it easy in the morning to avoid sweating too much going into work, and you take a shower when you get home in the afternoon.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 31, 2022

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be (source: commuted by bike in an Austin suburb for ~4 yrs pre-pandemic). You take it easy in the morning to avoid sweating too much going into work, and you take a shower when you get home in the afternoon.
This is fine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The BWM is buried deep within the comments long after the rabbit piss and poo.

quote:

My boyfriend invited our roommate on our trip. He brought his rabbit and keeps it in the bathroom. I am the only one putting money towards the hotel. Never again.

quote:

It’s not a vacation. It’s a trip and opportunity for my boyfriend to do some work that he’s passionate about for a festival. It’s hard, physically demanding labor to set up and that’s why the guy roommate tagged along. I can’t do but so much and can’t lift but so much. However, the roommate was not necessarily needed because 4 other guys from the are are helping as well

quote:

No one is getting paid for the work. I’m helping with everything as well, but mainly decorating because I can’t lift and build. My boyfriend has a passion and when he had the opportunity to do it for his favorite band of course I supported it.

quote:

I’m not a clueless girlfriend. We discussed everything and I OFFERED to help with hotel since he’s already spent thousands to make this happen.

quote:

We are in the middle of nowhere for my boyfriend to set up something to run for a festival (I don’t want to give too much info on location and exact festival) so it’s more like a work trip. It’s very physically demanding labor and I cannot lift much so I’m not much help. He thought the roommate would be great for extra help and I did agree but did not know the rabbit would be coming. My boyfriend didn’t want the rabbit to come either but was too nice to say anything. I’m the only one paying for the hotel because my boyfriend has already spent at least a couple thousand to make this work, it’s his dream. I offered to help as much as I could so buying the hotel and splitting gas is nothing compared to the money he put into materials and uhaul.

quote:

I’m not pet sitting lol I get out there and bust rear end with them.

quote:

So, my boyfriend absolutely loves Halloween. We do a home haunt every single year. He got the opportunity to do the haunt at the festival.

GWM for this band, though.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

So they're paying to work an anime convention, and none of them thought to go to the nearest store and get a $5 cat litter tray and bag of carefresh. Sounds about right.

I'm sorry for the rabbit, it's the only individual in this situation who didn't choose to be there.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The BWM is buried deep within the comments long after the rabbit piss and poo.

GWM for this band, though.

I've gotten extremely fed up with the way so many festivals have managed to rely so much on volunteer labor. SXSW in Austin is especially bad about this. It's the multi-million dollar event that exists entirely because for decades a bunch of college kids are willing to give up their entire Spring Break to do 90% of the actual labor the festival needed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LanceHunter posted:

I've gotten extremely fed up with the way so many festivals have managed to rely so much on volunteer labor. SXSW in Austin is especially bad about this. It's the multi-million dollar event that exists entirely because for decades a bunch of college kids are willing to give up their entire Spring Break to do 90% of the actual labor the festival needed.

This is a thing in F1 as well, only in that case some marshalls (who are all volunteers) will actually travel to races outside their own country because that country doesn't have any experienced volunteers. For local racing series' volunteers make absolute sense. For Formula loving One no, pay the loving marshalls since you legally can't run a race without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Bunny Woe Motel :(