Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

and once you look at what's actually being produced and its utility in a war it's even less impressive

It is mostly oil and food/beverage products with some electronics/car manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

It is mostly oil and food/beverage products with some electronics/car manufacturing.

the 1st coca cola brigade supported by mobile tobacco launchers will throw back the pla, no prob

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

crepeface posted:

will the market and Number accept that?

also, where are those numbers from? are they in US dollar numbers or something else?

Just the most cursory google for countries by manufacturing output. USD value added.

Ardennes posted:

Btw, once you readjust for the dollar, it isn’t nearly as impressive.

yeah, a PPP of about 4.

Tankbuster posted:

Can I get some sources on the industrial production stuff? I want to slack off at work tomorrow.

It's sourced from here
https://unstats.un.org/unsd/snaama/basic

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Cerebral Bore posted:

the only fighting ability that the us has proven lately is fighting a couple of colonial policing actions, mainly by blowing up defenseless people from the sky

I mean, I'm as :d2a: as they come, but I didn't say anything about USA, I asked who is going to win WW3.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Frosted Flake posted:

There are recent books on PLA doctrine and papers from observers of their exercises. Not sure what your point is here.

I wanted to know if OP knows anything about fighting wars or has they just seen Wolf warrior many times.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China outnumbers the US by something like 4-to-1

even a Strangelove-ian accounting of "we win a thermonuclear exchange if there are more of us left standing than them", China is absolutely going to win

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

I mean, I'm as :d2a: as they come, but I didn't say anything about USA, I asked who is going to win WW3.

really giving the game away here, pal

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Fish of hemp posted:

I mean, I'm as :d2a: as they come,

"How do you do, fellow C-SPAM folks?"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fish of hemp posted:

it's the side with industrial capacity op

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

even a Strangelove-ian accounting of "we win a thermonuclear exchange if there are more of us left standing than them", China is absolutely going to win

i think you are underestimating america's love of bombing civilians. it's grift, cruelty, racism, and video footage of explosions for toby keith videos. the only thing more american is donald trump.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think you are underestimating america's love of bombing civilians. it's grift, cruelty, racism, and video footage of explosions for toby keith videos. the only thing more american is donald trump.

except this time the people being bombed can bomb the US back.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

is nancy still flying

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
china and the usa are incapable of fighting a war with each other that could be won

when i said nobody has ever been prepared to fight a war across the pacific i wasn't just dissing america, though i was doing that. comrade xi is not going to be swimming across the ocean to save the world from capitalism as much as we might wish

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

atelier morgan posted:

china and the usa are incapable of fighting a war with each other that could be won

when i said nobody has ever been prepared to fight a war across the pacific i wasn't just dissing america, though i was doing that. comrade xi is not going to be swimming across the ocean to save the world from capitalism as much as we might wish

China has defeated capitalism by offering to build the rope it hangs itself with, and selling it at a steep discount. xi's mighty weapons arrive across the pacific daily and we let them in willingly

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

China has defeated capitalism by offering to build the rope it hangs itself with, and selling it at a steep discount. xi's mighty weapons arrive across the pacific daily and we let them in willingly

:hmmyes:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rutibex posted:

in marx’s time capitalism was all about the trains and the material effects rail transportation allowed in capitalism.

ships and containerized ocean marine are the material system of capitalism now.

how has that undermined that system?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Regarde Aduck posted:

you don't win wars by 'doing so hot'. You win them by being the side still standing.

cockroaches will win WW3

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not necessarily. America has way lower population density, which means it takes more bombs to kill the same number of people.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

atelier morgan posted:

Japan got half way across the pacific 80 years ago. America fought and one that war across that distance. Ignoring nukes the only thing stopping China from doing it in the next few decades is political will.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

Japan got half way across the pacific 80 years ago. America fought and one that war across that distance. Ignoring nukes the only thing stopping China from doing it in the next few decades is political will.

japan got less than 1% of the way to being able to invade the us across the pacific to prosecute a successful war

in fact, probably several orders of magnitude less than 1% of the way there, and they knew it and at no point was it even a glimmer in the eyes of the IJN's admiralty

i think it would be significantly easier for china to invade the us across the pacific than it would be for the us to invade china across the pacific because the PLAN was built from the start for the specific mission of stopping the US from invading china via bases in japan (or taiwan) while the us navy was not and lacks the diesel electric submarine forces and anti-ship missiles and other defensive measures china has, but it is still frankly impossible

even in a presumed future deep into the collapse of the us as a centralized power the us navy will exist long past the lifespan of a rump civilian federal government and rule the puget sound and southern california as their fiefdoms

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 02:36 on Aug 1, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

china and the ussr won that war, america stole the last hit so they got the xp

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
now after ww3, or merely after the complete collapse of global trade and capitalism, when america does not exist and is merely the cursed earth perhaps if we are very lucky china would come and liberate and uplift the survivors

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

You'd think that but when someone brings this up in the briefing the response is always:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri2TplWqY1o&t=231s

Griz
May 21, 2001

Fish of hemp posted:

Well who is going to win WW3? Russia ain't doing so hot in Ukraine and China's army produces really cool propaganda films but their fighting ability is still unproven.

one of the recent Chinese propaganda videos showed all their rifle rounds keyholing at like 10 yards
https://twitter.com/TachankaKity/status/1553749809676394502

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Griz posted:

one of the recent Chinese propaganda videos showed all their rifle rounds keyholing at like 10 yards

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

atelier morgan posted:

japan got less than 1% of the way to being able to invade the us across the pacific to prosecute a successful war

in fact, probably several orders of magnitude less than 1% of the way there, and they knew it and at no point was it even a glimmer in the eyes of the IJN's admiralty

i think it would be significantly easier for china to invade the us across the pacific than it would be for the us to invade china across the pacific because the PLAN was built from the start for the specific mission of stopping the US from invading china via bases in japan (or taiwan) while the us navy was not and lacks the diesel electric submarine forces and anti-ship missiles and other defensive measures china has, but it is still frankly impossible

even in a presumed future deep into the collapse of the us as a centralized power the us navy will exist long past the lifespan of a rump civilian federal government and rule the puget sound and southern california as their fiefdoms

That's broadly true about Japan but what if China decided to go full Amerikkka and just kill Americans until they won?
Did WWII Japan even do this? From my limited understanding their conquests and empire were focused on having productive colonial possessions, which if I'm right can be contrasted with America's 50 year inability to have a plan for after the invasion. Like they're good* at winning the war but bad at winning the peace.

E: I'd guess that "keyholing" is just paper tearing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
just killing everybody you can doesn't actually win wars, ask saudi arabia how the war in yemen is going lmao

more importantly, the apotheosis of war as mass murder is uncorking the bottled sunshine which is a campaign that cannot be won

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Weka posted:

E: I'd guess that "keyholing" is just paper tearing.

My guess is that they are using low velocity training rounds to reduce the risk of ricochet injury.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You believe Japanese colonialism was trying to be productive? And the problem with their plan was that they used kid gloves and maybe would’ve won if they killed more? What?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

MyushiVerSCOOTY posted:

My guess is that they are using low velocity training rounds to reduce the risk of ricochet injury.

its something like this, we have footage of most of the internals and patent diagrams of the rest and china's new rifle platform in mostly ar-15 with a few minor changes and a couple ak elements like the fire control group

its a really boringly normal rifle, unlike the sniper grenade launcher they have and the west is too loving lame to develop

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

cheap Chinese Norinco guns are well-made and reliable firearms, whatever is going on in that video clip isn’t indicative of normal performance of Chinese weapons

for the poster who asked, keyholing are those elongated holes in the paper caused by the bullet tumbling in flight and impacting sideways which is an extremely bad thing for ballistics, it’s low velocity training ammunition or something like another poster mentioned

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

atelier morgan posted:

the sniper grenade launcher they have and the west is too loving lame to develop

i would like to see this tia

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Goon Boots posted:

i would like to see this tia

the qlu-11, its absolutely hilarious and with the LG5s model is organic at the squad level

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MyushiVerSCOOTY posted:

not a bad guess

https://twitter.com/Whisky_Allergic/status/1553978676412235776

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pryor on Fire posted:

You believe Japanese colonialism was trying to be productive? And the problem with their plan was that they used kid gloves and maybe would’ve won if they killed more? What?

I always thought that korea was a major source of rice and raw materials for japan and necessity forced the japanese to coopt local landlords into making stuff like agriculture and industry more productive.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

There were reports a few months ago of PLA soldiers secretly embedding with Russian Allied forces to witness some real-life street fighting in Ukraine; never heard anything more about that, wonder if it was true.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
so people are still trying the 'china is backwards and doesn't know how to do anything right' even as they overtake every economy?

people sitting in tent cities in the ruins of their cities: "lol if china made this tent it'd be on fire'

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Regarde Aduck posted:

so people are still trying the 'china is backwards and doesn't know how to do anything right' even as they overtake every economy?

People also think every city in russia looks like soviet settlements depicted in american movies. They practically never update the basic model of the world that was installed in them when they were children

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tazjin posted:

There were reports a few months ago of PLA soldiers secretly embedding with Russian Allied forces to witness some real-life street fighting in Ukraine; never heard anything more about that, wonder if it was true.

military attachés have been a thing for literally centuries, so i wouldn't be surprised if there are pla personnel in the ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

atelier morgan posted:

just killing everybody you can doesn't actually win wars, ask saudi arabia how the war in yemen is going lmao

more importantly, the apotheosis of war as mass murder is uncorking the bottled sunshine which is a campaign that cannot be won

It seemed to work pretty good on Japan. The home islands lost about 4% of their population. I don't think Yemen's quite there yet, that'd be 1.2 million deaths.
MAD is what it is, for now at least, but that's only moderately helped by those oceans.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Just the first part, their war was always hopeless. Japanese colonialism WAS productive. They heavily industrialized Manchuko on top of all the raw materials they pulled out. Their war machine ran on oil from the ex-dutch east indies. Their colonies alone had half the GDP of France in dollar terms in 1938.
Compare this to America's spoils from it's last 20 years of war. Some oil profits. Despite never facing any serious opposition.