Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Alan Smithee posted:

idk but in FR they say schlanger and i aint never heard an aussie say it but if an aussie says you eat it, can probably figure it out based on context clues

As an Australian I can confirm people have said schlanger, but I also haven't heard it since school 20+ years ago.

It means penis if anyone didn't already know.

My favourite slang from Fury Road is "fang it!", which means floor it/go really fast but some people unfamiliar actually heard a homophobic slur, had to do some explaining to American co-workers that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
As someone who watched KGF 1 and 2, I highly recommend them. I want them to be the movie of the month for August. It's amped up and over the top but entertaining. 1st is stronger than the 2nd but it's all quite solid.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, but Bahubhali does nail the structure of never going five minutes without reminding you that the main character is completely loving awesome. The movie constantly throws ridiculous problems at him and instead of 'making hard decisions' or whatever he just does something awesome and solves it. I especially liked the rejection of the villain's choice towards the end. "If you charge my line, you will kill civilians!" and the hero, like an actual hero, finds a way to not kill civilians and charge the lines. that kind of larger than life ability seems lacking in a lot of modern storytelling, certainly in the west.

I do agree with you, that type of character building is much rare these days but we are finally getting it more in the west with John Wick, Nobody, Equalizer and Reacher. The super badass dude that can't be even touched and makes the villains look like clowns. Those type of characters were more common in the 50s-60s Charles Bronson type movies or the 90s with Stallone. The 2000s were a really bad time imo for western action movies. Super hero movies started off good but went on for way too long. Lots of these super hero movies have poo poo action choreography.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ulio posted:

Watched KGF while I was in my trip in India, it was super hyped up but I thought it was very meh. Nowhere as entertaining as RRR.

I watched Bahubhali 1 after watching RRR. It's not good imo. There is lots of story with very little action and the action is nowhere as stupid crazy as RRR. The main character is literally an reincarnation of a god warrior. I don't remember a single set piece from it. Meanwhile in RRR there is the scene with the attack on Sir Scott's mansion, the intro where the cop catches the bad guy among thousands of people, Sir Scott chase scene, the piggyback action sequence. There is way too many to name. Didn't bother watching Bahubhali 2 after the mediocre first one.

I almost made the same call, but 2 is a huge step up on 1. it's still pretty stupid, but it's way, way better looking and better choreographed. the final fight in 1 is cut to poo poo, guys get hit in the head when their head isn't even in frame, the performers are whiffing moves left and right, it's a mess. the action in 2 is extremely good. it sucks rear end that both movies establish a badass warrior woman who then immediately stops doing anything badass (or indeed even talking in the first movie) once she gets a boyfriend

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Not sure where all the sass about Gray Man is coming from, it hits all the "80s action movie in a post-Bourne, post-Wick" world. The action after he gets out of handcuffs in the square felt like Time Crisis 2, s'all right.

Lumbermouth posted:

The John Wick movies are the best Vampire: the Masquerade movies we’re going to get.

Kate Beckinsale is very upset with you.

midge fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 2, 2022

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

midge posted:

Not sure where all the sass about Gray Man is coming from, it hits all the "80s action movie in a post-Bourne, post-Wick" world.

For me the problem is with the tone of the movie. I'm not a big fan of 80s action movies, since I'm not a fan of camp, but at least the characters in those movies acted like they were in a movie. In The Gray Man, nobody ever acts scared or angry or hurt or anything at all, they're too busy rolling their eyes in ironic detachment and formulating their next quip. The whole thing is so arch it was infuriating.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Gray Man was great. I like fun action movies with enjoyable characters trying to kill eachother. Don't over think it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Demtor posted:

Gray Man was great. I like fun action movies with enjoyable characters trying to kill eachother. Don't over think it.

Does thinking 'this action isn't very good' count as overthinking?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I liked the characters in The Gray Man, that definitely wasn't my issue with it. If anything the reason I did enjoy it was because of the actors involved, plus yea it does have one or two good action scenes.

But like I mentioned a while back, modern action movies like The Gray Man tend to make it tough for me to do the whole "turn your brain off and enjoy" thing because hardly any of the scenes are even shot on real locations anymore. It's all so heavily green-screened that I'm constantly being taken out of the movie and it's impossible to get invested and immersed in it. That for me was the main thing that held The Gray Man back.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
id give it a shot at this point based on the minority that thought it was okay...if it weren't 129 minutes, I mean jesus christ.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If anyone needs an excuse to watch an action flick, KGF is this months motm

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/on_celluloid/status/1554607640990388226?s=21&t=_PJpB80AFqnW4n9bLAkAuQ

Hell yeah, just got tickets. Never seen it. The movie that sunk Tsui Hark’s American career!

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Either the action is fun to watch just for the spectacle of it or I'm invested in the characters. In The Gray Man the action was pretty standard silliness and the character was uhh... silent and very serious. Ultimately it's completely forgettable and in 2 months not a single soul will remember it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/on_celluloid/status/1554607640990388226?s=21&t=_PJpB80AFqnW4n9bLAkAuQ

Hell yeah, just got tickets. Never seen it. The movie that sunk Tsui Hark’s American career!

Knock Off is terrible, but so much fun. The action and camera stuff was great at the time, even tho there's only really one good fight scene. Also RIP to Paul Sorvino, the only person in the show that still seems like a professional actor by the end.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

But like I mentioned a while back, modern action movies like The Gray Man tend to make it tough for me to do the whole "turn your brain off and enjoy" thing because hardly any of the scenes are even shot on real locations anymore. It's all so heavily green-screened that I'm constantly being taken out of the movie and it's impossible to get invested and immersed in it. That for me was the main thing that held The Gray Man back.

It's really funny you mentioned this because just by sheer coincidence I watched Tomb Raider (2018) on a flight (because I knew it was most likely not a hidden gem) and then The Grey Man (2022) properly and I actually felt like the CGI spectacle completely pooped both movies. I still liked The Grey Man though because I enjoy Gosling's Stoic Shtick, although some absolutely bizarre choices were made in that movie. For 200 million you guys couldn't crash a real tram in a backlot somewhere? Really?

Tomb Raider, though, yikes. Not only did they lift the Big Twist from the Big Twist of the first Uncharted (very funny to me IMO) but they made poor Alicia Vikander get shredded to hell and learn the bow only to spend most of her time running around tiny CGI-enhanced sets, hanging in front of greenscreens, or jogging around jungle backlots. Too drat talented for that poo poo!

To recalibrate my Action Compass I watched the intro to MI:5 (aka Cruise's Plane Hang) and yeah, it's more exciting than the big CGI "danger moments" in either of these films because, you know, Cruise is actually there, your brain knows he's actually there, and it's thrilling as hell.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I've been rewatching some old samurai favorites, and I have to say that Hideo Gosha may be the best action director of the 60s. Three Outlaw Samurai, Sword of the Beast, Tenchu, the Samurai Wolf movies are not only truly great movies (well maybe not the Samurai Wolf movies), but the action scenes in them are up there with anything Sam Peckinpah or Kenji Misumi did.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dokmo posted:

I've been rewatching some old samurai favorites, and I have to say that Hideo Gosha may be the best action director of the 60s. Three Outlaw Samurai, Sword of the Beast, Tenchu, the Samurai Wolf movies are not only truly great movies (well maybe not the Samurai Wolf movies), but the action scenes in them are up there with anything Sam Peckinpah or Kenji Misumi did.
I've only seen Three Outlaw Samurai and Sword of the Beast, which I loved. Gotta get on more of his poo poo.

Also, as far as chanbara sort of stuff goes, I really liked Shinya Tsukamoto's (of Tetsuo fame) 2018 Killing. Not a ton of action scenes, though it does have a few good duels...but whenever anything samurai-related goes down he shoots the aftermath like it's loving Texas Chainsaw Massacre and it works so well. Also a refreshing take on the samurai genre where it's like "no, actually, taking someone's life just leaves you a traumatized hosed up zombie...it's not something that forges you into a 'hero' or 'man'."

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 3, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

I almost made the same call, but 2 is a huge step up on 1. it's still pretty stupid, but it's way, way better looking and better choreographed. the final fight in 1 is cut to poo poo, guys get hit in the head when their head isn't even in frame, the performers are whiffing moves left and right, it's a mess. the action in 2 is extremely good. it sucks rear end that both movies establish a badass warrior woman who then immediately stops doing anything badass (or indeed even talking in the first movie) once she gets a boyfriend

I'll check it out, but ya it's always weird going back into a director's work in most cases their craft gets worse unless you are M.Night. RRR seems to be where the director got action choreography to the next level and cgi improved dramatically.

Also I mentioned Fable a while back, I just watched Fable 2, this series is literally so underrated don't see it mentioned anywhere for action. It's got a bit of story in the first half of both movies but then there is a big action set pieces and delivers on so many levels. It is literally Japanese John Wick, cut that its way better than John Wick and if you watched any Tak Sakaguchi action movies it has a similar vibe. The main character will literally dodge bullets but the sound effect and choreo is so slick it all feels believable and not too over the top like something RRR(RRR is awesome btw). It literally has some of the best action sequences right up there with John Wick, Raid2, RRR or any Tak movie.

dokmo posted:

I really got interested in this genre of films after playing Ghost of Tsushima/Sekiro/Nioh but these movies seem really hard to find. I was trying to find Zatoichi The Blind Swordsmen, it's on the Criterion Channel streaming service. I am not sure if anyone has experience with that service? I signed up for the trial to just check this movies out.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 4, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ulio posted:

I really got interested in this genre of films after playing Ghost of Tsushima/Sekiro/Nioh but these movies seem really hard to find. I was trying to find Zatoichi The Blind Swordsmen, it's on the Criterion Channel streaming service. I am not sure if anyone has experience with that service? I signed up for the trial to just check this movies out.

If you have HBO Max, I *HIGHLY* recommend the Lone Wolf and Cub series. It's no Kurosawa-level great cinema, it's a hyper-violent action series, right up this thread's alley.

Samurai, ninja, lots of bright-red 1970s style arterial blood spray. Touching story about the samurai and his son.

Quick summary: Ogami Itto holds the post of official Shogun's Executioner, but another clan wants the position for themselves, so they frame him and murder his wife. This results in Itto wandering about Japan with his small son in a cart, contracting himself out as an assassin, and seeking vengeance on the clan that did this to him.

If you decide to check these out, the proper order is:

Sword of Vengeance
Baby Cart at the River Styx
Baby Cart in Hades
Baby Cart in Peril
Baby Cart in the Land of Demons
White Heaven in Hell

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also Lady Snowblood is on HBOMax and it is fantastic. Definite recommend.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hbomax isn't available in Canada but it looks like Criterion Channel has this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ulio posted:

Hbomax isn't available in Canada but it looks like Criterion Channel has this.

Those films getting a Criterion release is kind of funny. They're trashy as gently caress but they're so very good. The lead looks like possibly the least convincing action hero ever but once he starts actually fighting, you start to believe that this guy, just possibly, could kill like 20 people.

Also, one of the bigger action scenes, when the villain seems to have him dead to rights, is resolved by him just pulling out guns that they had never mentioned him having before (not the ones on his cart, these had been established before) I love that they wrote him into the same kind of spot he'd been in a dozen times at that point and came up with a new, even more ridiculous way of writing him out of it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It's all pretty ridiculous, and yet all so wonderful. The actor who played Itto was a real one when it came to the swordplay, he'd had some training in stage-fighting of course but also was into kendo and iaido (a form of fencing with wooden swords like katanas, and the latter is the art of fast-drawing and cutting in one motion with a real katana) if I recall, and it comes across onscreen .

And he does it all with this Dad-bod.

Anyway these films in this series have such a unique style and feel. I bought them all on Blu and watch them about once a year or so. They are so much fun, and they're a unique snapshot of samurai films from this time when they transitioned from the more traditional ones to these pulpy ones with a lot of gore, in a way like the difference between The Wild Bunch and all the westerns that came before.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Here's a little taste, for anyone interested

https://youtu.be/auiXcEy1kmI

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ulio posted:

Also I mentioned Fable a while back, I just watched Fable 2, this series is literally so underrated don't see it mentioned anywhere for action. It's got a bit of story in the first half of both movies but then there is a big action set pieces and delivers on so many levels. It is literally Japanese John Wick, cut that its way better than John Wick and if you watched any Tak Sakaguchi action movies it has a similar vibe. The main character will literally dodge bullets but the sound effect and choreo is so slick it all feels believable and not too over the top like something RRR(RRR is awesome btw). It literally has some of the best action sequences right up there with John Wick, Raid2, RRR or any Tak movie.
Yeah I really liked Fable, but I loved the manga before watching it so I'm not sure how well it stands on its own. It's perfectly cast and I hope they make another one to cover the last part of the story.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Looks like Prey is getting positive reviews

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah I really liked Fable, but I loved the manga before watching it so I'm not sure how well it stands on its own. It's perfectly cast and I hope they make another one to cover the last part of the story.

Oh drat didn't know it had a manga, I do hope we get more movies and as you said the cast was perfect. Satou is really meh in the first movie but he has a bit more personality in the sequel.

Snowman_McK posted:

Those films getting a Criterion release is kind of funny. They're trashy as gently caress but they're so very good. The lead looks like possibly the least convincing action hero ever but once he starts actually fighting, you start to believe that this guy, just possibly, could kill like 20 people.

Also, one of the bigger action scenes, when the villain seems to have him dead to rights, is resolved by him just pulling out guns that they had never mentioned him having before (not the ones on his cart, these had been established before) I love that they wrote him into the same kind of spot he'd been in a dozen times at that point and came up with a new, even more ridiculous way of writing him out of it.

Ya I saw a review and the guy was basically saying Zatoichi has a lot of comedy in it, by looking at the actor's face I could believe that.

Btw this is the channel, since we are talking alot about Samurai movies, this guy seems to just purely focus on Samurai media/entertainment. Lots of reviews about movies, games, manga, books anything samurai basically. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnx_YzjNGATWqVaPwSd6-xg

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The Zatoichi movies rule. I recommend especially the ones directed by Kenji Misumi (in particular the first one, Tale of Zatoichi), but the whole series is remarkably consistent in quality. Some are more actiony than others but almost all of them end on a big swordfight, and those are usually very well done.

Misumi also directed most of the previously mentioned Lone Wolf and Cub movies, which have very little to do with Zatoichi apart from being set in Tokugawa-era Japan and featuring swordsmen. Zatoichi films were mostly character driven dramas with comedic and action elements, Lone Wolf and Cub films were over the top, sometimes surreal, violent exploitation films. I love both series, and anyone interested in the general concept of historical Japanese movies could do worse than dig into these.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I bought the Lone Wolf and Cub blu-rays on Criterion during a sale sight-unseen and was very happy with them.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Appropriate trivia: The guys who play Zatoichi (Shintaro Katsu) and Lone Wolf (Tomisaburo Wakayama) are brothers, and Wakayama appears in a couple of the Zatoichi films. Katsu was supposed to have played the lead in Kurosawa's Kagemusha but was kicked off the production for being a pain in the rear end, more or less. Both of them died pretty early, sadly.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The scene in the first Lone Wolf and Cub where Itto asks his son, a BABY, to choose between a life of vengeance and swift, merciful death at his own father's hand is amazing. It verges on self-parody but it's played so straight and with such tension that it wraps around to become badass.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

The scene in the first Lone Wolf and Cub where Itto asks his son, a BABY, to choose between a life of vengeance and swift, merciful death at his own father's hand is amazing. It verges on self-parody but it's played so straight and with such tension that it wraps around to become badass.

There's a reason the RZA just plays it in its entirety to start Liquid Swords, hah

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

morestuff posted:

There's a reason the RZA just plays it in its entirety to start Liquid Swords, hah

That's GZA, you fool. You imbecile.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

That's GZA, you fool. You imbecile.

RZA produced everything on that album you clod

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

morestuff posted:

RZA produced everything on that album you clod

yeah, well, you can prove anything with facts can't you.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kinda weird that RZA came up because that yt channel I mentioned has reviews of almost every Japanese samurai flick then a random rear end Forrest Whitaker movie called Ghost Dog Way of The Samurai, the music is done by RZA. I had never heard of this movie but honestly it looks insanely interesting. Don't know if anyone here has seen it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ulio posted:

Kinda weird that RZA came up because that yt channel I mentioned has reviews of almost every Japanese samurai flick then a random rear end Forrest Whitaker movie called Ghost Dog Way of The Samurai, the music is done by RZA. I had never heard of this movie but honestly it looks insanely interesting. Don't know if anyone here has seen it.

It's a very Jim Jarmusch movie. Whether that's a good thing is up to you. I loved it when I saw it years ago and I think it would probably hold up. It's not really an action movie. I don't know what the hell to call it. RZA's done a bunch of great soundtracks. His work on Afro Samurai was terrific.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ghost Dog is definitely an all time fave of mine.

"You know, in ancient cultures, bears were considered equal with men."
"This ain't no ancient culture here, mister."
"Sometimes it is."

It's basically Forest Whitaker versus a bunch of 60-70 year old Italian Americans. That should be enough to sell you.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ghost Dog rules as does Le Samourai, the movie it’s loosely based on. More moody character pieces than action movies though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ghost Dog was just added to HBOMax this month so if you have that it's a good time to check it out.