Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Whats the difference between bulldozers or excavators and pavers or rollers? Under what circumstances do I want which? Or do I just want all of them in my construction offices?

For that matter when do I need tower cranes instead of road cranes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Whats the difference between bulldozers or excavators and pavers or rollers? Under what circumstances do I want which? Or do I just want all of them in my construction offices?

For that matter when do I need tower cranes instead of road cranes?

You want excavators to speed up groundwork for buildings. I don’t think bulldozers work for this? Bulldozers do work for the gravel stage of paved roads (or gravel roads) but I don’t know if they’re better or worse than excavators of the same rating. I’m happy to have both and just let either do the work.

Pavers you only need for road work, not buildings, but they’re almost necessary for paving. Without one, you rely on manpower and it takes forever. They’ll attach to dump trucks of asphalt and pave even without manpower at the road construction site. Rollers come last for paved roads, they just take a trip up and down the road and finish it. Again you can do this with manpower but it takes absolutely forever. It does make it nice, though, when you have all 3 working in concert. You can make a dedicated CO just for roads that doesn’t need to be fed workers at all.

Road and tower cranes are interchangeable, but tower cranes obviously need a truck or helicopter to carry them to the job site. The trade off is their rating is much higher. Cranes of either style just speed up the “building the walls” sorts of phases of construction. Again not strictly necessary, but almost so if you want to get anything done quickly.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Also, since excavator/dozer/paver/roller only work with gravel/asphalt that get hauled in dumpers, and since cranes only work with steel/brick/planks/panels that get hauled on flatbed, when you're specializing COs you can split the hauling vehicles this way. I tend to put concrete in with the first batch because it's used in the same phase.

Then you can have a separate CO with labor and only assign it to buildings once the hauling to them for a phase is complete. Saves a lot of guys standing around waiting for concrete and asphalt in particular.

E: This also means leaning heavily into tower cranes, since you've got all those flatbeds right there anyway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Just bear in mind that the CO will gleefully use the flat beds to send construction materials to every. Single. Site. Before bringing a crane to the first one. I personally have a "mechanisms" CO with a couple of flatbeds and don't assign them to open storages.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Any time you place a CO you should place another 3 or 4 right afterward in the same spot. What will you use them all for? I don't know yet, but you'll figure it out and you're going to vastly prefer having them able to segregate equipment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tons of COs seems to lag my game the last city I made .

Snow too probably . I should ban snow

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

euphronius posted:

Tons of COs seems to lag my game the last city I made .

Snow too probably . I should ban snow

Disable automatic assigning to jobs and it'll stop the lag. However COs determine pathfinding to new jobs, they do it way too frequently, which causes the lag.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So how do I wean my people off their crippling alcohol addictions? It's knocked 4 years off their life expectancy since my peak of 82.5, and whilst this doesn't actually seem to have a mechanical downside and is certainly thematically appropriate, it's making me feel bad :smith:

Griz
May 21, 2001

I think they get over it eventually if you just stop providing it, same as religion.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Do I need to feed a train CO workers or can it get away with just mechanisms, the same way a CO dedicated to roads can? What about bridges, I've noticed road bridges do require workers present?

Basically, can I build a train CO at the map edge to get me started, allowing me to import all the steel required via train, rather than having to truck it to my city then back fill towards the edge of the map? There is a significant bridge to build to connect up, and I feel like that might require workers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No the train CO needs workers to function.

You could, however, use wooden rails for the initial connection, if you want. Don't know if they're much faster to build but you could try it and see.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pish posh simply helicopter the workers to the CO.

It won't beat train deliveries of raw material but you can keep an inland train CO fairly productive just driving trucks in from the border for steel. You don't need cut rate efficiency at every moment.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

No the train CO needs workers to function.

You could, however, use wooden rails for the initial connection, if you want. Don't know if they're much faster to build but you could try it and see.

Wooden rails just uses planks to build instead of prefab panels. Given how cheap they both are, it only really feels like it matters if your border crossings are congested; otherwise, there's little reason beyond RPing to just use prefab every time, unless you're continuously blasting out prefab construction or something. It's honestly a little strange to have what ends up being a mostly false choice, since the cost of the steel etc massively overweighs it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

zedprime posted:

Pish posh simply helicopter the workers to the CO.

It won't beat train deliveries of raw material but you can keep an inland train CO fairly productive just driving trucks in from the border for steel. You don't need cut rate efficiency at every moment.

Well I've already trucked in 3.5k steel in the last couple years apparently, so what's another few thousand. I was mostly just hoping to avoid having to build another distribution office and the extra congestion.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012

Griz posted:

I think they get over it eventually if you just stop providing it, same as religion.

Does ignoring the need for religion has any long term effects? I haven't even tried to fulfill that and never seen any actual side effects , but then again my money bleeding empire usually dies in few years.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just a Fish posted:

Does ignoring the need for religion has any long term effects? I haven't even tried to fulfill that and never seen any actual side effects , but then again my money bleeding empire usually dies in few years.

if youre meeting all the other needs of the people they dont tend to give a poo poo and eventually forget about it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Correct, it only affects happiness. Citizens will be unhappy if they choose religious needs during free time and can't fulfill it, but they'll request it less in the future as their religious sympathy goes down from lack of fulfillment. Same with drinking iirc.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is there any way to sync up multiple bus lines? My industry area is served by two lines, both picking workers up from the same central bustop in the town. The problem is for whatever reason the busses always tail each others, so line 1 gets 90% of the workers and line 2 only gets whoever arrives at the bus stop in the 10 seconds between the line 1 bus leaving and the line 2 bus.

I swapped some of the busses between the different routes, so now at some times of day its line 2 that gets the lions share, which is slightly better but still doesn't help achieve consistent staffing at key industries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they are both picking up from the same bus stop, that would probably be a good use for the transfer function at the other end, presumably the other end has multiple stops because it's a big industrial complex?

If so, shuttling them all to one of the stops and then running a transfer line from it to the other industrial stop would probably help ensure a slightly more even distribution of workers. If you have limited numbers of workers you would close some of the positions around the main stop so that some of the workers wait to be transferred to the second stop.

I haven't messed with transfers really so someone else might be better to describe the exact mechanics of how the game handles them, I can't remember if forcing people off the bus will cause them to seek work at the destination before waiting for another bus or whether you would need three stops, one of which is purely a holding tank for workers being delivered to the two final stops.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you have priority staffing in mind and have 2 lines overlapping the immediate simple answer is to just have 1 line. You'll have some redundant visits to high priority stops that are already full but that's the price you pay for priority filling.

Alternately you can go full fragmentation/smallest quanta possible and do everything by minibus. The other way to look at your problem is the source bus stop is not big enough to supply workers to both lines with the size of the busses they are using and using smaller busses will smooth that out.

I would build a new residential center/source bus stop to avoid stealing each route's workers from each other before messing with transfers. They are meant to be better these days but I've never liked how they work, either technically or because it's conceptually a lean no-no waste of multiple touches. There's situations transfers can help get better results than just simple dumb direct worker delivery but I've never felt like sitting down and figuring it out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the solution I would probably use is "throw more workers at it" but I did once run a big combined steel and coal products complex that sprawled too much to be covered by one stop, with a transfer system and it worked okay. They are alright for single short hops when you just need to spread workers out a little further after a long trip using a train or something and thus it would be inconvenient to use an extra vehicle route.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The solution is cable cars .

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The solution is always cable cars unless you need to go further than the cable car is allowed to, in which case it is trains.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

The solution is always cable cars unless you need to go further than the cable car is allowed to, in which case it is trains a new city.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Better trams are coming so I hope that means cable cars at least get a competitor in conceptually perfect human conveyor belts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-56

Big info dump on how the trade simulation works, I like the idea of making air and water export count as "international" so you can sell large amounts of stuff. Though water is already super useful for not being bandwidth limited on number of vehicles. Might make air export better though as you can put a small airport near a high value goods factory and ship out electronics or nuclear fuel.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-56

Big info dump on how the trade simulation works, I like the idea of making air and water export count as "international" so you can sell large amounts of stuff. Though water is already super useful for not being bandwidth limited on number of vehicles. Might make air export better though as you can put a small airport near a high value goods factory and ship out electronics or nuclear fuel.

quote:

In realistic mode you need to buy some vehicles at the customs and then send a truck to pick the special vehicles which cannot drive by themselves (for example: tower cranes, trolley buses or cable cars), If you are playing on the island, you can purchase vehicles/trains and everything at waterway/airplane customs then you can send ship to pick up those things (or eventually airplane/helicopter).

:ohdear:

It seems like nuclear fuel might be the only thing economical to transport by air, honestly. Even electronics probably makes more sense to send out on a little boat.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 9, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I could bet electronics and other high value stuff make sense, but who knows.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I really like the changes to trade and finance, but are they going to add anyway to directly exchange the currencies?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

:ohdear:

It seems like nuclear fuel might be the only thing economical to transport by air, honestly. Even electronics probably makes more sense to send out on a little boat.

I am more thinking for if you are shipping fairly big volumes and the production site is fairly landlocked. Of course yes you could transport it to a port and then ship it out, air travel generally is a bit pointless other than for tourism. But airports are cool to build at least.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I am more thinking for if you are shipping fairly big volumes and the production site is fairly landlocked. Of course yes you could transport it to a port and then ship it out, air travel generally is a bit pointless other than for tourism. But airports are cool to build at least.

If you're exporting something that's larger than a truckload, and you're at the point where you need to do international trade, you should just be sending things via train to a dock logistics area.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Where should I build the secret police? Is it like other services that needs to be in walking distance of housing?

Also do I have any other options to prevent loyalty bleed? I've been trying to avoid it because it's big and expensive, but a radio station is even bigger and expensiver, and although I built some monuments they don't seem to do much good. I built the monuments close o the houses, is that wrong? Maybe it's better to put them in high traffic areas like around bus stops or shops???

Sometimes this game could really do with a little documentation. Just a little.

Also, I tried crime for this play through, I've built a police station and a courthouse, but it still says all crimes reach statute of limitations. Do I need a prison to for it to do anything? Where should the prison be built? I was thinking of just slapping it down in my industrial area, then maybe the prisoners can work in the industries?

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 16, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pharnakes posted:

Where should I build the secret police? Is it like other services that needs to be in walking distance of housing?

Also do I have any other options to prevent loyalty bleed? I've been trying to avoid it because it's big and expensive, but a radio station is even bigger and expensiver, and although I built some monuments they don't seem to do much good. I built the monuments close o the houses, is that wrong? Maybe it's better to put them in high traffic areas like around bus stops or shops???

Sometimes this game could really do with a little documentation. Just a little.

Also, I tried crime for this play through, I've built a police station and a courthouse, but it still says all crimes reach statute of limitations. Do I need a prison to for it to do anything? Where should the prison be built? I was thinking of just slapping it down in my industrial area, then maybe the prisoners can work in the industries?

The secret police has a decent range since it's like the hospital, in that the secret policemans will drive to residences to plant bugs. I don't know what the range is offhand but it's large. Yes, you need college educated workers for it. Paradoxically, it is unclear what effect loyalty has on workers here.

Monuments definitely help, but they're more to keep a relative baseline of loyalty. I don't know if they have effects outside of residential areas, but I've been placing them near my industrial complexes for flavor :ussr:

Loyalty of students is pretty strongly affected by the loyalty of teachers and professors in your schools and universities. Try to staff them with the most loyal people. You'll also want to try to keep loyal, college educated folks happy so that they don't leave, so make sure their needs are taken care of and give them cars (don't need a dealer, you can manually buy at the lots).

Unfortunately, monuments etc will only get you so far, you absolutely need radio, television, etc to raise it up once you can afford it.

Yes, unfortunately, you need all three aspects (police, court, prison) for the system to work. Prisoners can be sent to work jobs but you need to assign a bus to the prison or something, I've forgotten.

Look into the workshop for smaller versions of otherwise unreasonably expensive buildings. For example, there's a regional radio that only hires 10 educated workers instead of 50, but it's relatively small and I can afford it.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Secret police work by car, with agents on their shifts (assuming they have proper support staff) pulling from the building's motor pool to drive out to a residential building without the "see loyalty" buff and apply it.
They don't per-se need to be within walking distance of residential, but I find it makes life easier early to put them on the very outskirts of a residential area, such that the buildings they're most likely to prioritize pathing to can also work there directly. They're one of the first buildings you want that take educated workers (which you can sort into those buildings by default), and there's a positive feedback loop between loyal agents and more reliable loyalty checks, so this makes sure it spins up the fastest. Lategame, of course, you give them Trabis to ensure their loyalty and can just directly assign housing near parking to work there.

Some bleed is inevitable, but it comes from unfulfilled needs so making sure everything runs smoothly helps--this is why people bother with pubs to begin with other than RP, people will get very mad as you wean them off and while you have to wean them off religion unless you build only in pregen towns, alcohol you can supply at least until you have loyalty tracking and generation up. Swimming pools rather than football pitches also help to deal with need for sport going unfulfilled every winter, and aren't toooo expensive.
Monuments, radio, TV, and loyal teachers all help to counter the bleed, and no single one of them can regularly do it alone. Secret police are so valuable, not because they make people loyal directly, but because you can filter your most loyal into loyalty-enhancing roles (and after that into any needs that are borderline available, since a loyal pop is a Stakhanovite who will go that extra mile to make sure it's there.) I'm honestly not sure about placement, because each has a range rating and the red star or large Lenin are big enough to cover an entire town with proper placement.

Crimes must be duly arrested by a legitimate officer of the law, tried in a recognized court, and punished as laid out in the code; IIRC police without either will have a chance to prevent them on patrol, but the court-prison duo need to come together to actively reduce a pop's criminality score. I'm not sure what influences it has around it, but it does need to have supplies delivered regularly, will empty out if it ever misses a shift of guards, and while prisoners can work it's through a bespoke variety of microbus to a limited subset of jobs rather than anything that needs to be short range. Also, it's basically housing for them so plopping it directly amongst industry will produce pops who are reformed but also have cancer.

E: Once you get the court/prison up, you'll probably want to start by ruthlessly trimming the list of crimes to be investigated. IIRC the handling is that each pop has a low chance to commit a random crime scaling on their criminality, and then once it happens the statute of limitations ticks up at a regular pace, while police generate investigation ticks and courts generate trial ticks in a way that seems to be weighted toward the top but not completely deterministic; any crime that doesn't fill both investigation and trial bars (which are longer the more serious the crime is) before the limitations bar is filled increases the pop's criminality further, while any crime that does force-moves them from their current housing to prison where their criminality ticks down daily.
Because committing crimes and getting away with it means a pop will commit more crimes of all types, there's a certain logic in throwing out the murder cases that take serious detective work which might just be crimes of passion, while coming down hard on the most incorrigible for their compulsive littering.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 16, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the crime spiral is real, because once you reach a certain threshold of criminality the police stop being able to actually police anything because they are overwhelmed with all the crime happening, and also everyone is murdering each other so your republic cannot maintain population.

I ended up with thousands of cases per year going uninvestigated because the crime solving ticks were being spread across too many cases so they all went unsolved.

It is at once surprisingly realistic in that the police cannot forcibly maintain order, but also a bit weird that there is no way to tell them to try to actually investigate one crime at a time and solve it before moving on to the next one.

Also somewhat unrealistic in that the only way to fix it is to switch crime on and off again, resetting everyone's crimeyness, or have everyone die and import new people.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 17, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know if it was a bug eventually fixed, but
I remember someone here noticing the criminality stat is influenced by unsolved police cases. Which means the best to way to recover from a crime spiral is to shut down the police. Firstly removing a drag on criminality for unsolved cases by simply having no cases. Secondly criminals murdering people eventually murders the criminals and crime comes back under control enough to start up the police again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zedprime posted:

I don't know if it was a bug eventually fixed, but
I remember someone here noticing the criminality stat is influenced by unsolved police cases. Which means the best to way to recover from a crime spiral is to shut down the police. Firstly removing a drag on criminality for unsolved cases by simply having no cases. Secondly criminals murdering people eventually murders the criminals and crime comes back under control enough to start up the police again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yruQM1ggc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-57

Elevated light rail. No zebra crossings unless you can actually cross the road, containerized imports and lots of spreadsheets!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-57

Elevated light rail. No zebra crossings unless you can actually cross the road, containerized imports and lots of spreadsheets!

I gave up and started a new save in light of lack of updates. Got 6 or so hours in. 12 hours later, we get an update confirmed for the next week or two. Y'all are welcome.
(Thankfully this looks like it can be retrofitted into existing saves.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been holding off until the update cos I want to try strict cosmonaut, but yeah I don't think there's anything new you can't fold into an existing one, other than presumably needing space for the new stations etc.