Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Excuse me this isn't the 11foot8 viewing thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It should be

Every thread should be

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Godholio posted:

That's an Air Force thing they carried over.
Eh?
I'm USAF and we wear the flag on the same side as the Army, just in spicy brown. My supervisor is USSF and I'm jelly of his colorful rubber US flag on the opposite shoulder side of mine.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

7 feet is not very much clearance

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Aimed too High

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This could have been a lot worse. At least they were going slow.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

This could have been a lot worse. At least they were going slow.

All is not lost. They have plenty of opportunity to gently caress it up reversing back to the infield.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Eh?
I'm USAF and we wear the flag on the same side as the Army, just in spicy brown. My supervisor is USSF and I'm jelly of his colorful rubber US flag on the opposite shoulder side of mine.

Flight suits, at least.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Aim Too High!

e:fb

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Got stuck behind a Navy recruiting trailer in single lane construction traffic for like 20 miles one time. It blew a tire and couldn’t pull over so the rear corner kept coming down and throwing sparks everywhere.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Casimir Radon posted:

Got stuck behind a Navy recruiting trailer in single lane construction traffic for like 20 miles one time. It blew a tire and couldn’t pull over so the rear corner kept coming down and throwing sparks everywhere.

Accelerate Your Life! :downs:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

VSOKUL girl posted:

> Johnson reportedly explained to authorities "he was told by the president" to warn "the government there was US aliens fighting with Chinese dragons."

badass

i would watch us aliens fight chinese dragons any day

Should have driven to a Marine base. Fighting a dragon can't be too different than a lava monster

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He hid behind a wall. Seems safe enough.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

:staredog:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I got no room to talk, but I think that's fairly responsible method, all things considered.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

My friends and I built a trebuchette a while back and used it to huck a 5lb round chunk of marble. But we kept loosing it in the ground ivy. So I would go down range and wait for them to fire it, watch the arch to figure out about where it's going to land, and then step behind a tree.

My friend's dad was not amused when he found out.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I've never seen a PFM-1 explosion. drat, they really are just meant to cause misery.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I've never seen a PFM-1 explosion. drat, they really are just meant to cause misery.

A great way to reduce the number of soldiers you have to fight 10 years down the line.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Dude in Donetsk City kindly informs clueless old lady that the weird looking thing she just picked up off the street is a PFM-1 antipersonnel mine.

https://twitter.com/walter_report/status/1553774328914886657

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Dude in Donetsk City kindly informs clueless old lady that the weird looking thing she just picked up off the street is a PFM-1 antipersonnel mine.

:stare:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

That's a yikes from me dawg.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I got no room to talk, but I think that's fairly responsible method, all things considered.

Better than the Iranian approach to clearning minefields !

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Crab Dad posted:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How bad is the shrapnel from a mine like that? Are those people just getting really really lucky that they're not being hit?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

How bad is the shrapnel from a mine like that? Are those people just getting really really lucky that they're not being hit?

It's not inconsequential, but the bodies of the mine are made of plastic to make them harder to detect. They're warcrime mines meant to linger in areas populated with civilians and cause limb destroying casualties. They're also meant to be deployed from the air and can be dropped from aircraft or launched from mortars. They're designed to glide so that they remain intact while airdropped.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Very little. Butterfly mines fall under Toe Popper types- they are designed to be scattered by munitions (varieties can be deployed from aircraft, mortars, arty, and even a variation on theme with the Counter Pursuit grenade, which while not the Butterfly, operate similar. IIRC there are accounts of Spetsnaz/VDV in AFG and Chechnya hand deploying them) and simply to maim. That's it. The charge is not enough to kill (generally), but to remove parts of humans in large chunks. Besides the old mistaken belief of "Wounding 1 removes 3 fighters" and area denial, it's to tie up resources and exhaust the opposing force. Their small size and color (even though the Russians agreed to make them less tactical colors, same lie we tell) make them extremely hard to find without advanced detection.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Right, gotcha.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That's not to say they don't throw shrapnel, just not much. They are horrid designs with a horrific tactical doctrine attached.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1556926537647144966

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah they deploy those in packs of 34, so if you find one, there'll be at least another 30 scattered around the same area, and more likely hundreds. I can easily see the mine clearance guys getting tired and just saying gently caress it and using bricks/tires.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

forbidden macarons

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah they deploy those in packs of 34, so if you find one, there'll be at least another 30 scattered around the same area, and more likely hundreds. I can easily see the mine clearance guys getting tired and just saying gently caress it and using bricks/tires.

Just warcrime my poo poo up.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

They have a laughably high failure and dud rate, too.

E- America's is terrible for similar munitions, so I dread to find how theirs is in real world.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 10, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Someone get Nick Cage.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Godholio posted:

Someone get Nick Cage.

I get this reference.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I recognize those from Worms Armageddon

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

Someone get Nick Cage.

In the name of Zeus’s BUTTHOLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

If I happened to be making a videogame involving semi-realistic military forces using semi-realistic military tech and I had a question about the kinds of stuff that could be feasibly mounted on a specific vehicle, should I ask about it in here or should I go bother TFR?