Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh do the dodecahedrons remain a mystery after all?

what was off about the theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

The greeks weren't conscious and couldn't see blue. Simple as that

You are Julian Jaymes and I claim my five pounds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cheetah7071 posted:

There's no evidence of knitting existing in the Roman period, the earliest known knit garments in Europe are fairly late medieval. There are some other problems but that one's a doozy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Romans getting btfo by my grandma once again

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Isekai grandma: trapped in a parallel world I teach them to knit?!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tunicate posted:

Better by miles than 99% of isekai stories.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

cheetah7071 posted:

It's not anymore convincing then it being an astronomical tool or having to deal with coinage or etc etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tunicate posted:

That would be the first isekai I ever read

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

the lunar cycle and menstrual cycle are similar enough that I think it'd be hard to distinguish which one influenced the earliest calendars--even setting aside the likely possibility that it's just, both. 28-30 days is a division of time that helps you track the moon

I wonder if it's also the other way round too? Want to know what time of month it is, look up. Rent is due every full moon, etc.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no evidence of knitting existing in the Roman period, the earliest known knit garments in Europe are fairly late medieval. There are some other problems but that one's a doozy.

Yeah that's the big one. The other kind of obviously problem is that it doesn't actually make knitting finger gloves like that any easier.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Better by miles than 99% of isekai stories.

I'm still sad the isekai CK3 LP died, that was funny.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Tulip posted:

it doesn't actually make knitting finger gloves like that any easier.
Ah, so it's an ancient roman lifehack.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

Ah, so it's an ancient roman lifehack.

Now I'm imagining a Roman version of infomercials on the forums. "Have you ever spilled posca on your toga!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grand Fromage posted:

Man that is wild. Granted I have never knitted or thought very much about it, but I thought for sure it was one of those crafts that goes back many thousands of years.

Clothes in antiquity were mostly woven then?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

They were used for measuring the standard size of slingshot bullets, OBVIOUSLY

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Historians have come to a consensus that Rubik was most likely an idealized myth, possibly inspired by multiple historical figures, and these objects had ritual significance.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

PittTheElder posted:

Man that is wild. Granted I have never knitted or thought very much about it, but I thought for sure it was one of those crafts that goes back many thousands of years.

Clothes in antiquity were mostly woven then?

Yes, weaving was the big thing. As I understand it, weaving was a huge aspect of life, in terms of hours dedicated to it. If you want to read a lot of :words: about cloth production in the ancient world, there's this one on ACOUP which seems to be a pretty well-regarded source.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I could google this but I want to hear it from the thread - what in the world is an "isekai"?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A Japanese genre of fiction involving modern age people being reborn in a fantasy world typically.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ChaseSP posted:

A Japanese genre of fiction involving modern age people being reborn in a fantasy world typically.

Isekai (異世界) just means "another world," and while there's currently a big boom of those kinds of stories, there's really nothing necessary about it that would exclude a lot of Jules Verne's work, lots of early explorer fiction, or even arguably The Odyssey. The critical trope is a character being planted, alone, in a foreign environment where skills from "back home" prove surprisingly useful.

The funniest play I've seen done with the genre is "Ya Boy Kongming," where Zhuge Liang of Three Kingdoms fame (aka Kongming) is reincarnated in 2020 Tokyo and becomes a party planner/agent for an aspiring pop star.

e: he uses "The Stone Maze Trick" to manipulate traffic at a night club for example, its very silly

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tulip posted:

The funniest play I've seen done with the genre is "Ya Boy Kongming," where Zhuge Liang of Three Kingdoms fame (aka Kongming) is reincarnated in 2020 Tokyo and becomes a party planner/agent for an aspiring pop star.

e: he uses "The Stone Maze Trick" to manipulate traffic at a night club for example, its very silly

this is extremely up my alley, but only if Zhongda appears and begins promoting a rival star

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
The isekai chat reminds me, there was a Reddit thread about how you would survive if you woke up in Medieval Europe with only the clothes on your back, no modern technology. Someone posted an elaborate plan for how he'd steal a horse, pretend to be a monk who'd taken a vow of silence (to avoid the language barrier), and use his modern knowledge to conquer all of Eurasia and then the New World. The most important stage in his plan? Inventing pasta! There might have been a thread on some other subreddit mocking it, but I can't find either that or the original.

steinrokkan posted:

They were used for measuring the standard size of slingshot bullets, OBVIOUSLY

For anyone who doesn't know what this is about and has archives, I recommend this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3443249

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

if it was just an everyday utility object it doesn't really make sense that some of them were made of gold and were decorated. if i had to venture a guess id say they were used to display something

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ScienceSeagull posted:

The isekai chat reminds me, there was a Reddit thread about how you would survive if you woke up in Medieval Europe with only the clothes on your back, no modern technology. Someone posted an elaborate plan for how he'd steal a horse, pretend to be a monk who'd taken a vow of silence (to avoid the language barrier)

They should have gone to a school that teaches Latin :colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I could google this but I want to hear it from the thread - what in the world is an "isekai"?

a connecticut yankee in king arthur's court, but anime

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A plot device currently trendy in fantasy manga in which the protagonist is transplanted from contemporary Earth.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm gonna describe Army of Darkness as an isekai from now on

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
IMO what makes Isekai its own distinct sub-genre of fantasy and not just standard fantasy with real world protagonists ala Narnia, is that it generally uses video game mechanics. And I don't mean "story like a bad JRPG" or thematic similarities, I mean actual literal mechanics. Characters "Level-Up" in numerically sequential levels when they gain enough "XP". Instead of casting a fireball with magic, they cast a Level-6 fireball spell that does 26 HP of damage and costs 14 mana points. Instead of going on adventures they do "quests" from the quest giver NPC at literal Adventurers Guilds for loot. Instead of the power fantasy wish fulfillment coming from being the chosen one, it's because they spec into the right Class or Racial Skill. It's all as dumb as it sounds, making the fantastical into the banal.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

galagazombie posted:

IMO what makes Isekai its own distinct sub-genre of fantasy and not just standard fantasy with real world protagonists ala Narnia, is that it generally uses video game mechanics. And I don't mean "story like a bad JRPG" or thematic similarities, I mean actual literal mechanics. Characters "Level-Up" in numerically sequential levels when they gain enough "XP". Instead of casting a fireball with magic, they cast a Level-6 fireball spell that does 26 HP of damage and costs 14 mana points. Instead of going on adventures they do "quests" from the quest giver NPC at literal Adventurers Guilds for loot. Instead of the power fantasy wish fulfillment coming from being the chosen one, it's because they spec into the right Class or Racial Skill. It's all as dumb as it sounds, making the fantastical into the banal.

Not really, thats a sub-genre called LitRPG

Also not really the thread for it but your mind gently caress for the dat is that DBZ is a cultivation series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's only modern Isekai from that post sword art lineage. Inuyasha never had that poo poo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ScienceSeagull posted:

The isekai chat reminds me, there was a Reddit thread about how you would survive if you woke up in Medieval Europe with only the clothes on your back, no modern technology. Someone posted an elaborate plan for how he'd steal a horse, pretend to be a monk who'd taken a vow of silence (to avoid the language barrier), and use his modern knowledge to conquer all of Eurasia and then the New World. The most important stage in his plan? Inventing pasta! There might have been a thread on some other subreddit mocking it, but I can't find either that or the original.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a parody of this trope where Arthur Dent ends up in a foreign civilization and realizes that the only practical skill he has is to make a decent sandwich.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Also IIRC arent they overwhelmingly found in legion camps and forts? Which makes 'civilian' uses suspect, because otherwise theyd be found elsewhere.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

a currently-popular subgenre of portal fantasy

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Perhaps the dodecahedrons serve... a ritual purpose?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Stairmaster posted:

Discarded spawn points for isekai protagonists

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Alhazred posted:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a parody of this trope where Arthur Dent ends up in a foreign civilization and realizes that the only practical skill he has is to make a decent sandwich.

I feel that this would be me.

Also, making a good cup of tea.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The reason Isekai became a genre and not just a trope was because of the sheer flood of stories that followed the exact same beats. It's most common for the protagonist to get reincarnated into another world with a bunch of cheat skills that trivialize all challenges (which can either lead to a very chill story or a very contrived one when the author tries to reintroduce drama), but there's a thousand tweaks and variants.

There are some that try to take a more "educated" approach, which often falls short, but it is what it is. The only one I'd actively recommend is Ascendance of a Bookworm, which is in a world that is not very gamey at all, the main character has no cheat powers and in fact is abnormally weak and frail, and she has her one interest in books that inspires her to try to spread her modern knowledge of printing (and having to go through many failures to do so as she reckons with the harshness of medieval living).

There's also a manga that's all about Roman baths, but I don't know anything about that one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solo Leveling is cool because the guy gets really strong and badass and the art is cool

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

anime is bad

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I finished Dawn of Everything a few days ago and I think I'm going to be thinking about it for the rest of my life.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's also a manga that's all about Roman baths, but I don't know anything about that one.

Thermae Romae, I've only seen a few eps and its very funny. I have completed the much more psychedelic Bessatsu Olympia Kyklos, about a cowardly greek man who gets periodically transported to 60s Japan where he learns things about Japanese life that he brings back to ancient Greece. Japanese people are all weird paper cut outs, while the Greek people are all claymation, it's great.

Each episode ends with a weird song explaining some element of ancient Greek life, like "what is a polis" and "what did ancient Greeks wipe their butts with." According to a classicist I'm friends with, he didn't see any really glaring errors in those songs.

Stairmaster posted:

You just blew this thing wide open you crazy bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Tulip posted:

I finished Dawn of Everything a few days ago and I think I'm going to be thinking about it for the rest of my life.

Same! That book makes some incredibly far-reaching claims that I'm not equipped to judge, but while I'm sure that some of them won't stand up to scholarly criticism, the conceptual framework and the way it makes you question assumptions is fantastic. Absolutely blew my thinking about social history wide open.