Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

They made a ton of Dominion because of problems with past boxes selling out entirely too soon, I think, and overshot.

I think they learned by now and just do made to order based on pre-orders with some set overhead for stores.

Edit:
Terrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I think they believed Dominion would be AoS' Indomitus, forgetting that Stormcast aren't as popular as marines and that only cool people would like the Kruleboyz

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Doesn't help that the Stormcast half of the box has a special character that you don't ever want a second model of and while the Kruleboyz are cool, they have been one of the worst armies in the game since their release. Not exactly a great recipe for an Indomitus repeat, which was a box that you could buy repeatedly and had two extremely popular and powerful armies in it. As much as people credit the success of that box to Marines, Necrons are actually one of the most popular xenos factions in 40k.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If they'd done Lumineth vs Vampires or something and delayed the release of both armies until 3rd it probably would have sold like crazy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I really need to get around to painting my AoS minis but I feel like I need more practice on other models than working on these bony bois to do them enough justice

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, the guys videos are certainly way over the top in clickbait titles, but I seem to be seeing that almost universally over YouTube so I wonder if they have tweaked their algorithms to show more of that stuff.

It's because you view this stuff. It pops up once in a blue moon for me, and I never click it, so I barely see it.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah I follow few hobby channels on youtube and I do not see stuff like this - might be because when it used to pop up I tended to bin those videos without watching. As far as Domion goes it was a)overprinted b) as far as the sce go there was no point of picking their half more than once since you don't need doubles of the heroes (of whom only lord impertant sees any play). Soul wars was superior box as far as army building went

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Box splitters didn't love Dominion because it had so many characters too. I think it's a much more fun and cool starter set in comparison, but it didn't have a lot of value for splitters compared to a shitload of marines and necrons. A lot of the indomitus sales were to people reselling (which is fine I bought some extra bikes and assault guys).

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Any news on The Old World?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not really, no. Last we heard was a while ago.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It'll happen when it'll happen in this case. Considering they're also busy with 30k 2nd ed and on the fantasy front redesigning Cities of Sigmar from the ground up.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Cooked Auto posted:

It'll happen when it'll happen in this case. Considering they're also busy with 30k 2nd ed and on the fantasy front redesigning Cities of Sigmar from the ground up.

There's probably some overlap between Cities of Sigmar and the armies of the Old World, I would think

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Announced 15th November 2019.

Old World Map Stuff, 6th February 2020

Kislev will be there, 23rd March 2020

Kislev will have bears, 11th May 2020

Map of Bretonnia, 28th December 2020

Cathay's in Total War: Warhammer III, 14th September 2021

Map of the Border Princes, 7th October 2021

Map of Cathay, 18th February 2022.

I think that's about all we know.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I will be dead and buried before I rebase all my Skaven. It was a long day of snipping when I took them off the square bases first time.

As much as I liked the big blocks of units visually, I’ve really grown attached to how the AOS board looks with big mobs of rats smashing into units and overwhelming them all in the sheer mass. It is more visually interesting to me at least.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Hopefully the old world will either launch or be fully revealed in 2023.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

War and Pieces posted:

Any news on The Old World?

FWIW, Horus Heresy 2 has given me a lot of good feelings towards The Old World, being that it's essentially a greatest hits compilation of previous 40k editions.

Hopefully they can undo the sins of 8th and incorporate some of the cooler AoS mechanics.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

I will be dead and buried before I rebase all my Skaven. It was a long day of snipping when I took them off the square bases first time.

As much as I liked the big blocks of units visually, I’ve really grown attached to how the AOS board looks with big mobs of rats smashing into units and overwhelming them all in the sheer mass. It is more visually interesting to me at least.

Going from round to square base should be easy, if needed, and not need rebasing. There is another game, with a terrible name, "Conquest: Last Argument of Kings", that has all the models on round bases but has these neat square bases that fit 4 round base guys on them, kind of like a movement tray almost, and you make up your blocks of infantry with these bigger square bases. So like a group of 12 line infantry has 12 round bases situated on 3 square bases, and I think it works really well. It would be the easiest way to adopt AoS to rank and file style. That being said, the big benefit of moving away from rank and file was to allow the troops to be a lot more active as opposed to static, so getting them to fit might be a challenge.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

A number of places offer similar regiment trays in MDF, I get mine from Warbases, but the problem is AoS changed the minimum base size to 25mm whereas humans and Skaven used to be 20mm*20mm. Will GW call for Old World figures to use that base side, or change to current size bases to allow cross compatibility?

For example, Orcs/Orruks have 32mm round bases in AoS but 25*25 square bases in Warhammer Fantasy - are they expected to use such regiment trays to rank up their models to make them effectively 32*32 squares, or rebase back to 25*25? A lot is being left in limbo, unfortunately. :(

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yo revised stat cards for warcry for forces of order are up https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/01/free-warcry-rules-for-your-grand-alliance-order-warbands/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would imagine the base size question would be dependant on how they want to handle the minutiae of rank and file and how the frontage can expand or collapse. The more discrete and granular the frontage is the more difficult it becomes to get an easy solution to base sizes.

The easiest way to allow/adopt models of any base size is to change the rules so that each unit has a number of wounds, not models, and instead of removing a bazillion models you just put a wound tracker next to the unit in question. This, of course, removes some of the granularity, but you could address that by adjusting the stats of the unit based on how many wounds it has left out of the original amount, kind of like 40k does with vehicles. I actually kind of like that idea, because before with WHFB the last 3 guys in a unit would still have the same stats as when they were full up, so it was not super representative of how cohesiveness plays a role in the actual fight. In fact, if they went to a model in which a unit gets worse based on the number of wounds they could then have an army with one of their bonuses being that their numbers are different or whatever, or the opposite could exist, a debuff.

The other advantage is that you could then make a static diorama or whatever for your unit, since you don't have to take anything off of it. You also would not need the exact number of models if the rules gave minimum/maximum frontage sizes based on wounds.

But the biggest drawback, of course, is the expansion/contraction of the frontline, and that seemed pretty critical to WHFB and was at the heart of it.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Nice, just in time for a local revival of Warcry. Always liked that game, I hope it sticks now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I appreciate that a lot of the Order infantry is on par with the Warcry warbands now, even if Stormcast still are absurdly tough.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

I'd love to see something like hoards of scaven on round bases swarming around a movement tray of pikemen in perfect formation.

Maybe that's doable idk!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

With all the new Warcry points updates out, I have done important science.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/119OH0i3PMu4bdy9EJijI7g2Q0xrOgokSMf1h8MXMDNM/edit

I have calculated the maximum number of dogs possible in any warband with access to non-Thrall dogs.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Sometimes a family is just a Broodmaster and sixteen individual swarms of spiders

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/07/sunday-preview-massed-reinforcements-for-warhammer-the-horus-heresy/

Speaking of dogs, the Witch Hunter warband Good boys pack goes up for pre-order next week.

Also for any Soulbound players C7 announced the Champions of Chaos book yesterday at Gencon.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
And that Glorfindel from the preview!!
:circlefap:

Nash fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 8, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That is probably the fastest "Announced at a livestream to pre-order" turn around I have ever seen because the model was announced just hours earlier.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That Glorfindel is so loving good but I already have a Rohan army and a Mordor army and a Dwarf army and an Isengard army :negative:

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I got a small smattering of a lot of armies but not Rivendell so Glorfindel might be a buy just to paint model. The Lothlorien duo though is an absolute purchase for my elf force. Good stream today despite what lovely nerds say.

Nash fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 8, 2022

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Nash posted:

I got a small smattering of a lot of armies but not Rivendell so Glorfindel might be a buy just to paint model. The Lothlorien duo though is an absolute purchase for my elf force. Good stream today despite what lovely nerds say.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I have some Galadhrim for my Helm's Deep force but... Do I really need a Lothlorien army?

Anyway, back on Thread topic, I think I might finally finish up my Kruleboyz army. I have the Dominion box, I have Kragnos, I have Swampboss Skumdrekk, what else should I add?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I have some Galadhrim for my Helm's Deep force but... Do I really need a Lothlorien army?

Anyway, back on Thread topic, I think I might finally finish up my Kruleboyz army. I have the Dominion box, I have Kragnos, I have Swampboss Skumdrekk, what else should I add?

A Vultcha or another Sludgraker beast.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/08/skullgrinder-herax-brings-death-destruction-and-a-big-flaming-hammer-to-the-nethermaze

Happy Khorne day folks. Here's a preview of what the next Underworlds warband is going to be.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Pretend I posted that pic of the tubby guy dressed in tacticool gear for paintball, but with Khorne symbols and skulls slapped on as well

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I dunno, he looks like he has a serious dadbod game going on. A bit too much BBQ and Blood Beer.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, that’s the build of like, an actual powerlifter. The dude’s a barrel.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
it's the gladiator physique

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I like that they are going for a different body type for Khorne cultists, I mean, ripping and tearing must be a very intensive exercise, but I don't think many of them are into healthy diets or protein shakes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

peer posted:

it's the gladiator physique

We may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

Talas posted:

I like that they are going for a different body type for Khorne cultists, I mean, ripping and tearing must be a very intensive exercise, but I don't think many of them are into healthy diets or protein shakes.

Khorne is well known for providing free passes to Ye Olde Country Buffet to those who bring him the most skulls every month :btroll:

In all seriousness, I think the problem with it (for me, anyways) is that being bloated/swollen/oversized has long been associated with Nurgle. Khorne's followers are commonly depicted as being muscular, whether it be lean muscle or being built like a WWF wrestler from the late 1980s. Seeing one that has love handles just doesn't seem right.

E: furthering the 1980s WWF comparison, maybe it's actually bloat from all the 'roids and coke he's been doing :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

If slannesh can get overweight guys so can khorne I reckon