Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ColdPie posted:

I needed some 8/4 stock, so I stopped by to check out a new lumber yard today here in the Twin Cities. Chatted with the owner briefly while I was there. They take in urban trees and process them for sale. Lots of Ash and Elm going down here for the past decade, thanks to Ash Borer and Dutch Elm disease. So they buy from the city and property owners and sell mostly in bulk to cabinet and furniture makers. A ton of the wood in the stacks was already claimed by local businesses.

They've been in business since 2008, but opened up this retail lumber yard space in August 2019... and then re-opened it just this past December. The selection is a bit limited, though what they have, they have a lot of. In addition to furniture grade boards of Ash and Elm, they had slabs and "character wood" of cherry, walnut, cedar, and some others.

I didn't think to take a picture, so here's one I stole from their website.

I got three, 6' pieces of 8/4 Ash. It doesn't come across super well in the photo, but the top board has some beautiful grain color. Mostly a nice brown, with some whiter patches. Makes me think of a river, somehow. The middle board is maybe mostly/entirely sapwood? It was very white compared to the other pieces. But it was perfectly clear and straight, so I grabbed it.

I also grabbed two decent 4/4 boards (in the background of the photo) from their "please-buy-this" bin. Sold by the plank at $5/ea, which comes to like $1.50/bf. Should make for some decent long, thin pieces.

I'm assuming this is Wood from the Hood? I could just walk over there since I'm that close, but since you were there, do they have anything that's already surfaced? I know I'm gonna have to buy a planer someday, but I'm not ready for that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My local lumberyard closed, and the more distant one only sells S2S1E wood. I miss getting 1/8" more material for cheaper by surfacing boards myself :(

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm assuming this is Wood from the Hood? I could just walk over there since I'm that close, but since you were there, do they have anything that's already surfaced? I know I'm gonna have to buy a planer someday, but I'm not ready for that yet.

Yeah, that's the place. I didn't notice any surfaced stock. I bet they could do it for you though.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Is the idea of using a French cleat to hold recycling bins reasonable? I was thinking something like 10 maybe 20 gallon bins. I could hit 3 studs with deck screws. They are off the ground and easy to put into the back of my car. I could angle the front of bins to make dumping them easier and it would keep weight closer to wall to prevent tipping.

Edit: I suppose I could put a chain on them too I am paranoid about squishing dogs or toddlers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah a french cleat can be made quite heavy duty if you want, you can hang heavy stuff from one.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I hang a full dust collector from a french cleat. I think recycling bins are probably okay.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Calidus posted:

Edit: I suppose I could put a chain on them too I am paranoid about squishing dogs or toddlers.

Seeing how many surprising breakages my nieces have caused at my parents' house (and how much poo poo I broke when I was their age), I'd make sure your mount is "locked" in place until you need to remove it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Uthor posted:

Seeing how many surprising breakages my nieces have caused at my parents' house (and how much poo poo I broke when I was their age), I'd make sure your mount is "locked" in place until you need to remove it.

You can always cap the ends so it can only be lifted off, not slid.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah a french cleat can be made quite heavy duty if you want, you can hang heavy stuff from one.

You can also buy metal ones that are usually much lower profile. They call them Z-clips or Z-hangers sometimes. I use them for hanging heavy art and poo poo.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Thanks - I'll play around a bit before I buy. There's no dealership in my town, and shipping on something like this is roughly the same as gas, so I'm thinking about taking my truck in to the city this week to go to Lee Valley and the Stallion dealer. I'm pretty much mentally committed to having a bandsaw in my truck when drive home, if I leave. There's also a Laguna dealer relatively nearby as well. FWIW the store that sells the Stallion - full name "CWI Stallion" - products sold Grizzly up until a few years ago before switching.

e. from what I'm seeing Stallion is the same as "General"

e.e. from what I'm seeing different Stallion products may be made in different places.

This is the bigger one I'm looking at:

http://www.cwimachinery.com/product/stallion-16-4-hp-hd-series-bandsaw/

Im catching up on a 2 week vacation, don't know if you've pulled the trigger yet, but I have that Stallion and it's really nice. I formerly had a 16" Italian Laguna that was 2.5hp, I like the stallion a bit more. The extra power is amazing and the cut is way smoother than my old Laguna. I don't love the guides as much, but the cut quality and power more than make up for it. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I can help answer them.

I also have the CWI 12" jointer/planer that is really nice.

Don't know where you are located but you are welcome to stop by and see them in person.

Meow Meow Meow fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 27, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Im catching up on a 2 week vacation, don't know if you've pulled the trigger yet, but I have that Stallion and it's really nice. I formerly had a 16" Italian Laguna that was 2.5hp, I like the stallion a bit more. The extra power is amazing and the cut is way smoother than my old Laguna. I don't love the guides as much, but the cut quality and power more than make up for it. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I can help answer them.

I also have the CWI 12" jointer/planer that is really nice.

Don't know where you are located but you are welcome to stop by and see them in person.

Thanks nonetheless - that's how things time out sometimes. I ended up buying the Rikon from Lee Valley in Winnipeg and used the difference to get a dust collector and some other stuff. The FWIW Rikon is plenty powerful - I've done some honkin' green hardwood cuts with it no problem at all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Stolen from another thread.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

It’s not grandpa’s fire truck

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

engine doesn't work, I'm unimpressed

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I finished my bedroom project :toot:. $300 worth of cherry with some "natural" Watco and water based poly on top. My phone is making the color all over the place for some reason.

Usually I'm a bit more adventurous but it's a pretty normal bed + some nightstands. Came apart and went back together nice and easy with the bed brackets. I did forget about the trim on the wall so I've got a ~3/4" gap between it and the headboard that I may do something about eventually if it bothers me. Also will have to do something more reasonable with the cords (I put some outlets in the backs of the nightstands).

I ended up picking up a gallon of the General Finishes water based poly (they call it topcoat but whatever), and having now used it I think it's worth the extra 25$. It takes less coats (2 seems to get you there, and they say not to do more than 3) than others I have used, gets a nicer looking finish, and seems to cure harder. I did find that it needed a bit more sanding than usual.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 28, 2022

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

wow, those are great

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dang thats a lot of cherry for $300

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I like the nightstands

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bloody posted:

dang thats a lot of cherry for $300

It's $2-4/BF at the mill here depending on grade, another $0.50 for planing both sides. I usually prefer the lower grades at least for cherry because you get a lot more character/color even if you have to epoxy some knot holes.

Found this wild mess on the end of a board and made some rounded pulls out of it but they didn't have enough contrast when I went to put it together.

Will have to find some other home for them.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 28, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That looks great. Cherry always looks fantastic with sage green walls.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Real good looking set. Lots of nice figure in that batch. You done good.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I'm really digging the chamfer on the inner face of those night stands

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

THIS IS TOTALLY CHEATING

POWER TOOLZ 4EVA

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ColdPie posted:

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

THIS IS TOTALLY CHEATING

POWER TOOLZ 4EVA

Oh poo poo man, I assumed you knew power tools existed, and just chose to use hand tools. I think I speak for everyone when I say we woulda told you about them earlier otherwise.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ColdPie posted:

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

THIS IS TOTALLY CHEATING

POWER TOOLZ 4EVA

Who hijacked this account!?!?!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want a bandsaw

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I. M. Gei posted:

I want a bandsaw

I only use mine sporadically but when I do it's the best possible tool.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Oh poo poo man, I assumed you knew power tools existed, and just chose to use hand tools. I think I speak for everyone when I say we woulda told you about them earlier otherwise.

Hahaha. It was actually my dad's bandsaw. We did a lot of projects on it together when I was growing up. I've been doing the hand-tool-only thing for ~6 years, it was fun, but between my dad passing away, and me finishing up that cabinet, and Chris Schwarz telling me in person to start taking it easy since I'm not getting any younger, it felt like it was time to go pick it up from my mom's place and find out how to fit it into my work process.

Guess I need to look into dust collection. I wonder if she still has his old shop vac.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I hope you pulled that saw out of the trash after taking that photo!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I love that saw! It's a 90~100 year old Disston D-7 thumbhole rip saw, 5 TPI. I put a lot of miles on that thing, one of my favorite tools. It's so old and brutal and well-used but still in great shape.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

There’s going to be a woodworker apprentice a few hundred years from now in a world we don’t recognize cursing out that saw in a language we’ll never understand :patriot:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I'm working on throwing together some quick and dirty shelves for a room that is not garage. Are French cleats often plywood for any structural reason or just because of low price per volume? Are French cleats always attached to a wall or would a back board of sufficient thickness be enough?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
French cleats can be made of regular wood just fine. Mine are usually a 2x4 that I rip at an angle. You can use a backing board; just make sure that the backing board itself is secure, and is thick enough that the fasteners you use to connect the cleats to it can't tear out easily. I wouldn't trust anything thinner than 3/4" if I'm putting a heavy load on the cleats, personally.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ColdPie posted:

I love that saw! It's a 90~100 year old Disston D-7 thumbhole rip saw, 5 TPI. I put a lot of miles on that thing, one of my favorite tools. It's so old and brutal and well-used but still in great shape.

There's nothing wrong with "Old and brutal and well-used but still in great shape." :corsair:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Question for this thread. We recently pulled a mahogany crib out of the attic that a family member had made back in the 80's. It looks like over the years a split developed down the center. There's a not a clear/simple way to disassemble it and glue/clamp the bottom board back together. Any recommendations on how to approach a fix? It's not super severe either. I could always just leave it as is.

Putty/filler? Sawdust/glue?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Would not disassemble. Squeeze some glue down in the crack, clamp in place from the bottom, and clean up the squeeze-out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'd be inclined to leave it, personally. That's the bottom, right? So it's going to be covered with a mattress or something?

I'm not even sure what you'd do to "fix" it. Maybe disassemble it, sand down the split sides, refinish, and reassemble, so the gap looks intentional? But matching finish is always tricky.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I would do nothing way before I took it apart. It's old and it looks like that now, and that's OK. Nothing you do will ever make it look like one board, so glue it if you're worried but even that is kind of whateverish imo unless it has parts moving around or rattling when you shake it.

e, oh duh that's already a glue up not a split. An even harder vote for doing nothing, then.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 1, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leave it alone. Any attempt to fill it will make more of a mess and look worse than it does now. You could take a razor blade and scrape out some of the yellowed glue and then wax it with a dark paste wax and it will disappear.

E: not sure I would even bother with the razor blade, just wax it. You can melt some dark brown crayon in there and scrape it flush with a credit card if it really bothers you.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Leave it alone. Any attempt to fill it will make more of a mess and look worse than it does now. You could take a razor blade and scrape out some of the yellowed glue and then wax it with a dark paste wax and it will disappear.

E: not sure I would even bother with the razor blade, just wax it. You can melt some dark brown crayon in there and scrape it flush with a credit card if it really bothers you.

Hooray. Doing nothing is my favorite solution! Good idea on the paste wax - I think that will work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Does this joint have a special name? https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf_3z49j2sL/