Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AnimeIsTrash posted:

RIP to a queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

jesus is shatner going to outlive all the others? hosed up

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mantis42 posted:

shatner is going to live to see the invention of warp drives

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mantis42 posted:

honestly impressive he's the last guy standing considering how unhealthy and fat he is

e: i forgot walter koenig is still alive, i guess we'll see

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
george takei seems like he has a lot of energy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

George Takei is only 85

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yeah but shatner is microdosing space travel to slow his aging relative to everyone else on earth.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Suplex Liberace posted:

Jazz is having the best years of its life rn, so many great albums are coming out and in so many varieties.

tell me what contemporary jazz to listen to, i want to know

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTIZikaOTDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MndB7PlkILI

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCyNdfSHZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXKU94emYKQ

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Fuligin posted:

tell me what contemporary jazz to listen to, i want to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQH0GPL33uc

portico quartet does some of my favourite haunting urban soundscapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTloZPT62IM

badbadnotgood are a lot more white and Canadian than you might expect, but I love their combination of hip hop and jazz

kinda busy celebrating my bday rn but I’ve got more it you want it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

nice, taking this all for later

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

music chat sucks bring back the snyderverse slapfights

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

The new Beyonce album is very good, Grace Jones has a guest spot, they sample Donna Summer on the last song, just a really good album all the way through.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the implication here is that YA authors and the community they coddle are so invested the idea of YA that as they age out of it, they're just making up a new Older-YA genre to reverse-engineer a rationalization for themselves as to why they're still reading YA

yer a muggle who just got a job at the top, cutting edge broom design firm. 1000 galleons a month and the intern from pakistan wants to "ride your broom and grab the snitch", Larry

now navigate the corporate ladder without getting canclled in the daily chirp, a vicious magical place where peoples thoughts stream into eachother's minds

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://twitter.com/benedict_rs/status/1553729887281811456?s=20&t=uLjY-48xFetaZE6I6iwCrA

https://twitter.com/benedict_rs/status/1553737864441110530?s=20&t=8ewIcl5YWbNRuod2ZPGvrA

for some reason this keeps happening!!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

And from a personal subjective review, there is a lot less great music coming out today, and a lot less great music that was made in the past.
Like as a person grows, what they like shrinks.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

x-posting from boardgame thread because I think it may be of interest here, GMT is working on a game that might be cool for CSPAM but I want to pick your brains about it:

Cross Bronx Expressway

Cross Bronx Expressway is the third game in the Irregular Conflicts Series. It simulates the socio-economic processes of urban development, and the human costs that result, as a competitive city-builder with collective loss conditions. Players control one of three asymmetric factions working in the South Bronx between 1940 and 2000, pursuing their own goals while cooperating to keep the borough viable. Through a card driven sequence of play, they will work to solve the economic challenges facing the area by building infrastructure and organizations, forming coalitions, mitigating the multitude of issues facing the vulnerable population, and managing resources to stay out of debt. Cross Bronx Expressway offers an engaging way to learn about the recent history of American cities, as exemplified by Jane Jacobs' pivotal work The Death and Life of Great American Cities, simulated through the case study of the South Bronx. Players will experience the conflicting incentives and complex factors shaping urban life and together determine the fate of the Bronx.

During his 1980 Presidential campaign, California Governor Ronald Reagan took a tour of the South Bronx. As he walked the same streets that President Jimmy Carter had walked three years prior, what Reagan witnessed was a scene so devastating it caused him to remark that he had not "seen anything that looked like this since London after the blitz." Cross Bronx Expressway is a game about the social and economic processes that created this scene in the South Bronx and the impacts they had on the local population during the second half of the 20th Century.

These six decades, from 1940 to 2000, witnessed many major events that shook the nation and the world, including the Second World War, the Korean and Vietnam Wars, an international recession in the 1970s, and economic recovery and increased globalization during the 1980s and 1990s. Less well known, but no less impactful for the people involved, were events in the Bronx during the same period, which underwent rapid growth and demographic change in the 1940s and 1970s, suffered through the debt crises that affected the whole of New York in the 1960s and 1970s, and struggled through the 1980s towards a recovery at the end of the 1990s. This is a game about navigating all these events as a local stakeholder in the South Bronx.

Beginning in the 1940s, New York embarked upon infrastructure and urban renewal projects that would reshape the city, including the culturally rich working class neighborhoods of the South Bronx. The game takes its name from one particularly infamous infrastructure project, an expressway conceived of and championed by the city's "construction coordinator" Robert Moses, which from 1948 to 1972 gradually cut through the borough, disrupting neighborhoods and businesses alike. This, and other similar infrastructure projects, impacted the local fabric of existing communities in ways that are still having an effect to this day.

The South Bronx also underwent significant demographic, economic, and social changes during this period. The existing European immigrant population, which had watched World War II unfold from the Bronx, went on to use post-war financial incentives to leave for the suburbs. With the introduction of commercial air travel, a new wave of migrants arrived from Puerto Rico, while segregation in the South saw many African Americans moving to the area. This growing minority population led to redlining policies which restricted real estate investment. At the same time, roadway and infrastructure projects used eminent domain laws to seize property and move forward with large-scale redevelopment, often at the cost of those already living locally. Neglected housing and social services reached a boiling point in 1977, when a citywide blackout combined with looting and arson to devastate the Bronx.

Throughout this period, a wide cast of public figures would take interest in the Bronx, including Robert Moses, US Presidents like Ronald Reagan, and New York Mayors like Rudolph Giuliani. For some, the area served as a publicity prop, while others saw it as a set of statistics to be manipulated from a distance. Yet each of these manipulations, no matter how far removed, had their impact on those that were fighting for survival in the borough.

Cross Bronx Expressway models this rich history as a competitive economic city builder with collective loss conditions. Three playable factions—Public, Private, and Community—attempt to save the city from the brink of bankruptcy and protect the Bronx's vulnerable population throughout this tumultuous period, while also working to achieve their own conflicting objectives. The game progresses using a shared event deck, divided into decades. Each decade features a semi-random series of historical cards whose effects will always occur but can be manipulated by the players. The factions perform actions around these events in order to mitigate their effects, while hoping to tip the balance in their favor. Infrastructure will be built and sometimes demolished, coalitions formed and abandoned, populations housed and displaced, and the vulnerable encouraged and discarded, while each faction struggles to stay out of debt and achieve their own objectives. At the end of each decade, census numbers are tallied to determine which factions have achieved their objectives and at what cost. If they manage to keep the city afloat, each decade provides the players with new opportunities to transform the South Bronx according to their own vision, but if too many vulnerable people are lost or if the city goes bankrupt, everyone will lose. Can you cooperate better than the historical actors did and pull the South Bronx back from the brink of disaster?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Fuligin posted:

nice, taking this all for later

Here's some more

https://youtu.be/_3sAIQjh5Mk

https://youtu.be/JWALx23jfw8

https://youtu.be/CIlisBa8blA

https://youtu.be/vC7ridORfuc

https://youtu.be/T6iQOXRAdEM

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watched Paul WS Anderson's Monster Hunter movie today, truly dogshit but the monsters looked and sounded very true to the games and it made want to dip back in to those. So mission accomplished I guess? Lotta military hardware getting blown up too.

E: Ron Perlman's character was also using a Switch Axe, wouldn't be my first choice but I can respect it.

C-Euro has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Aug 1, 2022

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
last night I watched the columbo episode "The Greenhouse Jungle". it was great. really good music. The sidekick guy was fun. Peter Falk fell down a hill in a truly incredible manner.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

greatest fall down a hill in all of cinema: Rudy Ray Moore jumping down a hill at the start of The Human Tornado (1976), he starts the jump in a rumor of some underwear and by the end of the tumble they've been destroyed and Rudy's equipment is just everywhere, also at the start of the jump while he's midair he stops the movie, rewinds it, and taunts the viewer for not believing he'd do his own stunt

I'd normally upload a clip of it but if John Cena threatening to shave the viewer got flagged by imgur then Rudy Ray Moore's dumper and entire tacklebox probably wouldn't last long

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

so so so SO many to choose from and he (1) picks goodfellas which (2) didn’t even win lmao

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1553890233242062848

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah Deer Hunter was worse than any other best picture winner by a pretty huge margin, it's not even close. Crash would probably be my 2nd choice but even that is like 10x better than Deer Hunter.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah Deer Hunter was worse than any other best picture winner by a pretty huge margin, it's not even close. Crash would probably be my 2nd choice but even that is like 10x better than Deer Hunter.

Deer Hunter gets props for including the socioeconomic elements of American soldiers in vietnam better than any other. And Meryl Streep is good in it.

Was Million Dollar Baby or Oliver! really better?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Yeah but Meryl Streep was in it. Automatic Oscar contender.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

its dances with wolves, which was also the movie that beat goodfellas lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah but cazale was in it. Automatic Oscar contender.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

its dances with wolves, which was also the movie that beat goodfellas lol
Of course Dances with Wolves won, the choreography set a new standard!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

so so so SO many to choose from and he (1) picks goodfellas which (2) didn’t even win lmao

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1553890233242062848

The correct answer is Cavalcade or one of the other really early ones no one has seen. But of the last 30 years it's Shakespeare in Love, Crash, and Green Book.

I love to be contrarian and say Gladiator tho

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chicago or Argo are good recent candidates. They're both fine movies but like... no one is going to look back at Argo as an all-time great

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Chicago or Argo are good recent candidates. They're both fine movies but like... no one is going to look back at Argo as an all-time great

i was super confused by how popular argo was because i was bored to tears and couldn't; even finish it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

If this is the best modern jazz can offer then it’s a moral good that jazz is dead as popular music. “Oh having no melody or chord progression and sounding like a seal slapping its flippers on the instruments means it’s artistic”. Go back to NPR.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

one of the funniest meta jokes about the movie whiplash is the little guy's killing himself to be good at jazz.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Green Book 100% gets my vote, it's the most egregious example of a racism movie being made transparently for white people in recent memory. Worse than The Help by far

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blackkklansman should have won, Spike was right

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

Green Book 100% gets my vote, it's the most egregious example of a racism movie being made transparently for white people in recent memory. Worse than The Help by far

Speaking of that genre how the gently caress did Driving Miss Daisy win best picture

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
all of the torture techniques done by the viet cong in the deer hunter were not actually done to US prisoners. however, all of them were done by the south Vietnamese military against captured VC (or against random civilians accused of being VC)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

loquacius posted:

The scene where Viggo teaches Mahershala how to eat chicken made me crack up in the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

That movie was really about how Italians were treated as badly as African Americans in old times.