Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me
updated OP

mods please change the title to [Text Adventures - Deadline 8/7/22 11:59PM EST] later tonight

thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

I felt like I was completely kicking rear end at this game the whole way through, and I got like the equivalent of a C lol :downs:

confession: I never played MGS1 before, only Twin Snakes, so this was interesting
it's unreal how good of a game this was. this loving kicked rear end. I can't believe it was a PS1 game. a lot of games of that era are tough to go back to, especially if you didn't play them at the time, and especially if they tried to be too many things, but this is just a really, really good game. a little teeny bit of jank here and there, but overall I was floored

anyway

definitely don't have time to finish MGS2, but I'm going to start it anyway, just feel like playing it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The text adventures thing seems cool

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Lol I didn't know the portrait they used for the scientist was just Albert Einstein

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Text adventures look dope. I remember playing a ton of the old Infocoms with my dad when I was a kid. First true gamer experience, even though a lot of it was me just dicking around, dying, and reading hint books. I'm stoked, good choice!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

agreed, really cool choice Cubone

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

American McGay posted:

Where you pick up the AK? I went clockwise around the outside. If you KO any of the guards the birds automatically fly.

Thanks, going around outside was the play. Done with about half the stages, dunno if I'm gonna make it but there's no stopping now.

Hype for some text adventures afterwards.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

Pick 15

Deadline 8/7/22 11:59PM EST

Something a bit different and unique for this week:

Write up per Cubone

:siren: Text Adventures :siren:

People are still making these! Well passed the days of Zork and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, text adventures have become something of a niche hobbyist interest, and the games have gotten more intuitive, player-friendly, and unique, with creators exploring and iterating on different kinds of interaction and unusual settings. They're also pretty short, so instead of one game, we'll be doing a sampler of several games that do different things, so you can check them all out or just play the ones that interest you.

Gun Mute

A text adventure-shooter. Play as a mute gay cowboy in a Weird West setting taking on cyborg outlaws with nothing but your six-gun and your wits. Kind of to shooting games what Punch-Out!! is to fighting games- every shootout is a little puzzle where you have to pay attention to details and make logical conjectures to win.

Photobia

This one starts off a bit narratively abstract, and I don't want to spoil it, but the story does come into focus and when it does it hits pretty hard. I'd compare this one to walking sims- there are interactive bits, but you're really playing it more for the experience than moving towards a goal. Though it does feature a pretty remarkable outside-the-box puzzle that feels amazing to figure out.

Superluminal Vagrant Twin

Ignore the terrible title, this one's great. You play as something of a space mercenary, meeting strange folks and doing odd jobs in order to raise the money you owe to free your kidnapped twin. A little like Mass Effect but with everything pared down to work within just a few game mechanics that are extremely simple (even for a text adventure), while still feeling massive.

An Act of Murder

A murder mystery with a time limit and randomized variables (so it's replayable). You play as a detective investigating a murder at an isolated estate in the country. Move around the large estate, examining clues, interrogating suspects, and compiling evidence to present when your boss arrives. I recommend saving often and taking lots of notes- little things can end up crucially important.

How to Run These
On every game's IFDB (interactive fiction database) page, in the upper right corner, there's links to every available way to play the game. Some of them you can play in browser, others have playable .exes available to download, but many come in files with weird extensions like .z8. For those you need an interpreter- you can kind of think of an interpreter as an emulator and the story files as ROMs. IFDB is thoughtful enough to accompany story file links with a link to a wiki page that can point you towards options for the interpreter you need, but honestly Gargoyle works for just about everything if you want to play on desktop, and it's available for Windows, OSX, and Linux. iPhone or iPad users can also use a really reliable free app called Frotz. Android users, I dunno sorry, but a quick google search recommends something called "Fabularium"

Trophies this week thanks again to Sub-Actuality!

Beat 1 game:
Beat all 4:

Games Start 8/1/22 12AM EST

this looks badass

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I've covered the James Bond adventure game Sub Base before and erroneously gave it a 0/10 for having no graphics, but I learned from my mistakes and re-reviewed it and gave it a 10/10

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I've covered the James Bond adventure game Sub Base before and erroneously gave it a 0/10 for having no graphics, but I learned from my mistakes and re-reviewed it and gave it a 10/10

lol.

also text adventures seems fun. a good chill change of pace from mgj

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

deleting my angry draft email. thank you

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

: Unlock Kojima

https://twitter.com/SouthAFAO/status/1553876120973594625?s=20&t=HMdPr5NOc_CqswB39X5cUA

Thanks to MBT for letting me know in the weekend thread that this trophy is pretty early on in the game, I had decided before then that I was done with Peace Walker for the day but decided to get one last trophy in. What a fun month. Looking forward to continuing Peace Walker and both MGSV games on my own time, and the text adventures seem like an interesting change of pace.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
hope everybody enjoys 😁

those trophies rule, thank you, Sub-Actuality

forgot to mention in the write-up, I don't know the completion times for sure, but I think Superluminal Vagrant Twin is the longest at maybe a couple hours
if you're used to old school stuff from Infocom, or even Colossal Cave Adventure, these'll probably be a cakewalk. there's plenty of tough ones out there but I went for like a fun mix

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

https://twitter.com/SouthAFAO/status/1553876120973594625?s=20&t=HMdPr5NOc_CqswB39X5cUA

Thanks to MBT for letting me know in the weekend thread that this trophy is pretty early on in the game, I had decided before then that I was done with Peace Walker for the day but decided to get one last trophy in. What a fun month. Looking forward to continuing Peace Walker and both MGSV games on my own time, and the text adventures seem like an interesting change of pace.

:cheers: I believed in you

Fungah! posted:

this looks badass

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Ftw.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

posting while doing the ghost babel special stage where you have to pass through every conveyor belt sorting device

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

: Kill The End Early
: Unlock the Mosin Nagant
: Catch a Tsuchinoko

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
: Beat the Tutorial (thats right, go ahead and just give this a shot)

Probably never playing this again. Too late for gc but think I'll finally commit to peace walker.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

peace walker is very good

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Cubone posted:

hope everybody enjoys 😁

those trophies rule, thank you, Sub-Actuality

forgot to mention in the write-up, I don't know the completion times for sure, but I think Superluminal Vagrant Twin is the longest at maybe a couple hours
if you're used to old school stuff from Infocom, or even Colossal Cave Adventure, these'll probably be a cakewalk. there's plenty of tough ones out there but I went for like a fun mix

:cheers:

I’ve been hearing good things about Photopia for years, never got around to seriously playing it. this is going to be a cool one I think

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
yeah i'm not finishing acid in time for the deadline. this game is just too drat slow and clunky. maybe failing to finish this in two separate month long community game things is a sign i dont like it who can say

i'll finish it someday regardless

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i'm too drunk and high to commit to beating another game before midnight but i'm satisfied w/the trophies i got this month. metal gear july loving owned.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Snake's Revenge

: Beat the First Area without being spotted once

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I’m going to miss Metal Gear July

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

herculon posted:

I’m going to miss Metal Gear July

the week between christmas and new years should be every game from the past year

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mbt posted:

the week between christmas and new years should be every game from the past year

Then, the week after, you can play the video games from the current year, and the week after that we could play all the video games from years yet to come.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mbt posted:

this is a fun idea lol, get trophies you missed

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Beat the game -

Beat The Game without killing a single soldier (except where required) -

Save Meryl -

kept you waiting, didn’t I?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ugh...I can't figure out how to not get caught in the last Nikita room of Stage 11 Mission 2 and that stage is so drat long.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

: Unlock the True Last Battle

Got one last trophy in under the wire. PW is awesome

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Sub-Actuality posted:

: Unlock the True Last Battle

Got one last trophy in under the wire. PW is awesome

Sick

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Peace Walker credits rolling, listening to Heavens Divide while I add MGJ imp trophies to the website. good poo poo

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Final boss... so close....

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

my morning jackass posted:

Beat the game -

Beat The Game without killing a single soldier (except where required) -

Save Meryl -

kept you waiting, didn’t I?

Welcome! just in time

https://impzone.club/case-mymorningjackass.html