Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I loving love Child's Play 3 and will defend it. So much of it is completely absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Child's Play 2 is kind of stupid and a bunch of it makes no sense and this is exactly why it rules. The finale of that movie is pure gold and it even has Gerrit Graham. I highly recommend it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Aubrey Plaza one?

God I totally forgot they rebooted that, and I went to go see it. I thought they were planning on more of those, must have really tanked.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

I loving love Child's Play 3 and will defend it. So much of it is completely absurd

I think that one is mostly boring and the way they kill Chucky in that one is incredibly lame compared to what happens in the first two.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Aubrey Plaza one?

That’s a remake so I don’t really count it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Child's Play remake is way better than you'd expect. This is due largely in part to the fact that they actually did their own thing instead of trying to rehash the original plus it has Mark Hamill doing the voice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it’s pretty good. But it’s not part of the series.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sniep posted:

My Best Buy hasn't been replenishing their blu shelves the past few months except for just the chart-top new releases. All the back stock of blu rays seems to have dwindled down into box sets, anime and tv series.

At the checkout, black shirt staff said they simply were phasing them out and that was basically it. RIP to one of the last places to get any physical media.

I remember doing seasonal work at Best Buy way back in 2005, and I was assigned to media, which included music, movies, and video games. It was massive, and took up more than half the center of the store (basically not the aisles along the sides). The CDs were maybe 5 rows, the video games were maybe 3 rows, but the DVDs were like 15 rows. DVDs were pretty much THE item that everybody was coming in to buy. I had customers come in with a list of like 30 movies they were looking to buy, and after asking about one or two, I'd just offer to take their list and grab everything for them.

The customers loved me for this kind of stuff, My supervisor hated me for not pushing Napster subscriptions as stocking stuffers to grandmas who had no idea what Napster was.

So it's crazy to me that that it's now gotten to a point where they're just doing away with physical media altogether. You'd think that maybe with the resurgence of vinyl records they'd try and put that in. I was shocked to see at what a large section of vinyls that Target has these days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Physical media is basically dead, then, isn’t it? If it doesn’t exist at retail, what other than boutique labels can exist? Just amazon?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

:frogsiren:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Physical media is basically dead, then, isn’t it? If it doesn’t exist at retail, what other than boutique labels can exist? Just amazon?

Somehow, video stores returned

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

To say it doesn't exist at retail is an exaggeration though. It's never gonna be what it used to be in terms of the variety of what stores will have in stock but all of the usual places in my area still get new releases. And when I say "new" releases, I mean whatever the releases of that week are, including older catalogue stuff. I've bought a bunch of Shout Factory UHDs at Best Buy in the past year, and Target doesn't have boutique stuff but they still stock various catalogue releases as they come out.

They tend to get three or four copies in and then that's it, they don't restock. That's the biggest difference, the volume and the fact that they never replenish the stock so the shelves end up pretty empty a lot of the time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Sorry, was a little too hungry to elaborate. Just meant Halloween 3 in the sense of “surprisingly good sequel” and less “unrelated but good movie.”

I cannot wait for October.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
All I'm saying is the word I got is it's getting shuttered so whatever is out there now, go grab it. I'm sure they'll keep something out, but it will probably just be a top 10s and box set section, not a A-Z type selection of any sort.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want a psycho goreman vinyl

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1553931787016994818?s=21&t=oVlxA7E7xgyEA9xnJwV0ig

This made me realize I hope we get something for Signs, which celebrates its 20th anniversary in like 3 days.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i'm down for this *please don't gently caress it up*

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1553872698299777025

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I only paid $10 for the Shout! Fargo steel book so an upgrade is an easy Yes!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I want a psycho goreman record

This exists but just don't buy it from ebay because people gouge it on there. Some discogs sellers have it for the original retail price (30 dollars). Plenty of people will have it for that price if you just look around.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Here in good ol' fictional Australia, I had the Jim Sheridan 4 Irish Film Collection bought for me. Can't wait to watch My Left Foot, The Field, In The Name of the Father and The Boxer on blu.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

This exists but just don't buy it from ebay because people gouge it on there. Some discogs sellers have it for the original retail price (30 dollars). Plenty of people will have it for that price if you just look around.

I think it’s still on the site. I just want it eventually lol

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

23 Skidoo posted:

Here in good ol' fictional Australia, I had the Jim Sheridan 4 Irish Film Collection bought for me. Can't wait to watch My Left Foot, The Field, In The Name of the Father and The Boxer on blu.

I've only seen Left Foot, are the others similiar in quality?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

23 Skidoo posted:

Oh hell yeah, boy's night movie marathon!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

23 Skidoo posted:

Imprint are doing really neat things, mostly. It's nice to have someone that's not Umbrella doing niche stuff, because Umbrella was really just going hard on making everything a separate label or line or whatever.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

worms butthole guy posted:

I've only seen Left Foot, are the others similiar in quality?

Well, I've only seen it also, and have also read his autobiography of the same name and love both, but In The Name of the Father won Day-Lewis another Oscar.
The Field is based off a play I read in secondary school in Dublin, but it's been a long time since I've thought about it.
Don't know much about The Boxer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sniep posted:

All I'm saying is the word I got is it's getting shuttered so whatever is out there now, go grab it. I'm sure they'll keep something out, but it will probably just be a top 10s and box set section, not a A-Z type selection of any sort.

We'll see what happens come Black Friday and/or Christmas. Just about everywhere starts stocking up a ton of physical media at that time of year, and you get some pretty good sales around them too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh yeah, I meant to post that the roommate and I watched Righting Wrongs last night. It owns, and it's a great looking Vinegar Syndrome entry. Hopefully we'll be getting more movies like that from them soon.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If you're like me and skipped getting heavy metal because you don't give a poo poo about heavy metal 2k, standard is coming out in august without 2k (which was a BD anyway).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tim Whatley posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1553931787016994818?s=21&t=oVlxA7E7xgyEA9xnJwV0ig

This made me realize I hope we get something for Signs, which celebrates its 20th anniversary in like 3 days.

lol goddammit, I just paid way too much the existing old rear end blu-ray release for this too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

lol goddammit, I just paid way too much the existing old rear end blu-ray release for this too.

Your fault for not keeping a spreadsheet of movies with big release anniversaries coming up

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Sirotan posted:

It's paramount so, six months after this they'll hawk a 4k version

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Goddammit. There is no reason for me to buy that Ring Steelbook and yet…. I’m drawn to it.

I have remember seeing The Ring opening night w a group of friends and being the most freaked out of them. Just awesome.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

thats a neat steelbook, but unless its priced like Good Burger was (at a tidy sum of $15 bucks) then I will just wait for the inevitable 4K edition.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Grabbed Sampo, the new Doris Wishman set and the Incredible Melting Man 4K from today’s Vinegar Syndrome drop (sampo was down around 260 in stock and I’ve been meaning to pick it up). Super stoked on these releases!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zer0spunk posted:

If you're like me and skipped getting heavy metal because you don't give a poo poo about heavy metal 2k, standard is coming out in august without 2k (which was a BD anyway).

So you get a 4k of Heavy Metal, and a 2K of Heavy Metal 2k.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Another solid month for VS and some very cool looking partner releases. I picked up Cornshukker and After Blue (plus more)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Oh good lord, another VS sale Aug 19-21 where they're revealing 1 VSA, 2 Peekaramas, and 2 catalog slips.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

pre-ordered Return of the Living Dead UHD, Righting Wrongs from VS and I will probably snag After Blue as well.

ok, grabbed After Blue and Faults which I've been wanting to check out because I loved Dual and The Art of Self Defense. Riley Stearns punches the right spots in my brain.

dorium fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 1, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Excellent Adventure 4K pre-order?! YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I need to go hide my phone and destroy my computer so i dont see any more stuff go up for pre-order.