Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well gently caress.

Now I don't know if I want to continue my Expedition save or return to my original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dwarf74 posted:

So once I finish this expedition, I can find a friend to help transfer my sick s-tier freighter tech to my permanent save, right?

Or should I just install this crazy poo poo in my tiny c-class?

dwarf74 posted:

Well gently caress.

Now I don't know if I want to continue my Expedition save or return to my original.

I think I missed this on the first go-round, but which crazy S-tier tech do you have that you want in your permasave? afaik the only thing you can't get legitimately in normal is the singularity engine, and you can save edit the blueprint in

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ughhhh posted:

So starkravingmad's post gave me inspiration to build me freighter base properly. Even realized that there is a recolor option for the walls that easy to use even after you have placed down all your tiles.

Unfortunately the color applies to both sides of a separation wall... :negative:

I'd appreciate, at the very least, having

1. walls that aren't windows, and
2. hallways that can be made explicitly straight instead of automatically turning into junctions based on what's nearby

for the latter at least the old hallways do that, I guess, and it's easier to avoid "no rooms directly touch" than it is to "no rooms or hallways directly touch"

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'd appreciate, at the very least, having

1. walls that aren't windows, and
2. hallways that can be made explicitly straight instead of automatically turning into junctions based on what's nearby

for the latter at least the old hallways do that, I guess, and it's easier to avoid "no rooms directly touch" than it is to "no rooms or hallways directly touch"

1. yes, this, a plain wall piece is badly needed
2. if you expand the corridor piece in the catalogue you can choose which corridor piece to lay. I haven't tried it myself yet but I'm assuming that if you choose a specific piece it won't dynamically change it after placing. Needs testing though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Helith posted:

2. if you expand the corridor piece in the catalogue you can choose which corridor piece to lay. I haven't tried it myself yet but I'm assuming that if you choose a specific piece it won't dynamically change it after placing. Needs testing though.

drat, I saw that in the patch notes but completely forgot about it, yeah it applies to the corridors and seems to stick regardless of what's placed nearby later, nice

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

The other day when stopping to shoot some asteroids I got a weird weather effect. Everything became foggy and full of lightning flashes. Is that just random space weather or if I'd looked left instead of right would I have found some neat thing?

Yeah, that one is new. Fun fact: You get a custom title for dying to it. It got me literally on day 1 after the patch, thanks to me walking off a frigate into space due to it not spawning correctly. Suddenly, I got fried by cosmic rays.

No idea how long it takes if you hang around in a space ship. Maybe try walking into space from one of your frigates, see if space weather kills you, too. :v:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I had a glitch where even though the last thing I made in my refiner was magnetized ferrite , when I opened it a day later m.f. was in the input slot and a bunch of chromatic metal was in the output. I took it out and it duped. Weird! I guess I don’t need any more chromatic metal in this expo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I think I missed this on the first go-round, but which crazy S-tier tech do you have that you want in your permasave? afaik the only thing you can't get legitimately in normal is the singularity engine, and you can save edit the blueprint in
I have yet to see an s-tier tech module for my freighter in my regular save. I am sure they exist but I just haven't seen them.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

"Built on cursed ground" is just repeating yourself, I think

I don't disagree that "it'd be nice if they officially supported it", I'm just noting that there's a reason that flight pit owners aren't lining up at the studio doors demanding it. I'd still love to see a real flight model grafted onto the game some day that allows for proper 6dof and less on-rails crap (one of the earliest mods for the game was an attempt to fix how badly railroaded the on-planet flight was), I'm just not holding my breath anymore

I mean, if I'm going to use a fake floaty HOTAS in VR, just spend the extra bit of time and let me use my goofy controller guy that does the same thing as another controller with buttons

but I have sent the feedback to hello games saying "HOTAS please?" with no reply.

Apparently the next numbered update is significant, for switch and PSVR2. And presumably they're gonna... just keep updating the game.

I think it will get added eventually

And with them adding a module that essentially lets you have more starship control, and the way they will usually just upgrade entire structure of the game I can kinda see them doing a space combat update (I know they kinda did one already, but for real this time)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dwarf74 posted:

I have yet to see an s-tier tech module for my freighter in my regular save. I am sure they exist but I just haven't seen them.

You really have to either be religious about doing derelict freighters in every system or just look up the coordinates of "a system that spawns S-class modules for freighters", since it's one of those things where crowdsourcing info is the name of the game if you want to maintain your sanity

I think I spent a week or two looking for one back in my initial playthrough-- freighter modules give static bonuses per system and at the time, nobody had found a full-max-buff 250ly hyperdrive upgrade. I'd usually clear 5-10 systems worth of freighters per play session, and I never saw an S-class period, let alone one better than the current "best" that people had already found.

On the topic of derelict freighters, I finally found an answer to a question that had been drifting around in my brain for awhile-- back in the early expeditions, it wasn't uncommon to fly to the rendezvous point stations and seeing 5-10 derelict freighters just floating extremely nearby. I had long assumed that it was just someone on PC doing something funky with mods to spawn them in place, especially after I stopped seeing them as frequently.

Turns out, something I didn't realize until now, is that the anomaly-spawning timer is actually pretty forgiving, and thanks to an accidental late triggering of one when I was flying to my freighter, I found out that you can basically spawn them on top of a destination. It does look like they made it so "automatically disengaging your cruise because you dropped in on the space station" doesn't trigger anomalies anymore, but manually triggering them near the space station, or auto-dropping on your own freighter, still works just fine.

I may have accidentally made my freighter look like a subject of interest for some Unfortunate Events in the process of testing this, though

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It really is one of the best Scifi Paperback Book Cover Generators in existence. drat those are nice shots.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So, I've never done an Expedition before but people are gushing about this one so I figured I'd give it a try. What am I getting into? Anything in particular I should look out for?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

So, I've never done an Expedition before but people are gushing about this one so I figured I'd give it a try. What am I getting into? Anything in particular I should look out for?

check through the list of each tier's rewards. There are a couple rooms you don't need to buy as they are rewards, there are later tier tasks you should be doing at every stage of your journey, such as scanning every animal, vegetable, and mineral you see.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
The Expedition tab in your menu does a good job of telling you exactly what to do for each milestone.

Make sure you do the optional "visit someone else's freighter" milestone, it's an easy 5 million credits to get the ball rolling, I did it by starting a fossil hunt at the Nexus and waiting for someone else to join then asking them to deploy their freighter after they visited mine. There can only be one freighter per group summoned at a time so one of you will have to dismiss it after.

Don't spend all of your nanite rewards, you will need a lot of nanites to unlock 3 starship bays to complete the squadron recruitment milestone.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Let's see how dumb I can get with thi-

oh?

oh?

pretty stupid then

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

StarkRavingMad posted:

I wanted to show off my freighter bar because I spent way too long making this dumb thing and I think it looks nice.

Hell yeah freighter bar buddy. I made an imgur gallery for my freighter base renovation since there's a lot but it's had a deck 2 bar since NEXT that I've been fastidiously tweaking ever since:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Anyone have tips on locating a wrecked starship for the reclamation milestone? It tells me I should explore planets to locate crashed starships or get a Planetary Chart from a Cartographer, but the random charts always seem to give me monoliths. I guess if I could find a big stack of Navigation Data somewhere I could buy the distress beacon charts instead. Any reliable way to find those?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

3 posted:

Hell yeah freighter bar buddy. I made an imgur gallery for my freighter base renovation since there's a lot but it's had a deck 2 bar since NEXT that I've been fastidiously tweaking ever since:

I dig the fishtank in the middle, that looks nice!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Diephoon posted:

Anyone have tips on locating a wrecked starship for the reclamation milestone? It tells me I should explore planets to locate crashed starships or get a Planetary Chart from a Cartographer, but the random charts always seem to give me monoliths. I guess if I could find a big stack of Navigation Data somewhere I could buy the distress beacon charts instead. Any reliable way to find those?

Nav data comes from the little blue and yellow cube things in space stations in a pinch; otherwise any building on any planet will have a little save station antenna that'll give you one.

You only need one in a pinch-- buy a distress beacon map, save your game manually, then use it and see if it leads you to a claimable wrecked ship. If it's not a ship, or if the ship still has a live pilot and they just want a repair, reload and try again.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

You really have to either be religious about doing derelict freighters in every system or just look up the coordinates of "a system that spawns S-class modules for freighters", since it's one of those things where crowdsourcing info is the name of the game if you want to maintain your sanity

Oh my yes. Found this on Reddit and it's completely lol. Short run, no goop monsters, just the occasional security measure. S-tier tech.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Let's see how dumb I can get with thi-

oh?

oh?

pretty stupid then

:psyduck: How in the hell? If you return to it, is it just floating in space or have you tames a derelict freighter?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nav data comes from the little blue and yellow cube things in space stations in a pinch; otherwise any building on any planet will have a little save station antenna that'll give you one.

You only need one in a pinch-- buy a distress beacon map, save your game manually, then use it and see if it leads you to a claimable wrecked ship. If it's not a ship, or if the ship still has a live pilot and they just want a repair, reload and try again.

Worked like a charm, thanks! Found an S class...shuttle. Might be better off finding something with less slots to repair since I'm only doing this for the milestone.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

Diephoon posted:

Worked like a charm, thanks! Found an S class...shuttle. Might be better off finding something with less slots to repair since I'm only doing this for the milestone.

You only need to repair the pulse engine, launch thruster, and the shield to have it count for the milestone.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

You also get a pile of repair kits in one of the milestones.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MrGreenShirt posted:

:psyduck: How in the hell? If you return to it, is it just floating in space or have you tames a derelict freighter?

The "how" is "it's far enough into an atmosphere that it's technically on the planet"; so the answer to the second is "oh god it's bugged, it's so bugged, it's bugged on like 6 different interlocking levels, I'm probably going to have to save-edit to delete the base, don't do this"

It lasts like it looks like on the tin for as long as derelicts last, which is (roughly) until you leave the system or load a save. At that point,

- Gravity snaps from "freighter is down" to "planet is down"
- The usual weirdness of having a high-altitude base asserts itself but even weirder than expected, because
- Instead of "everything but the base computer disappears", it's "everything but near-ish to where you saved disappears, but is also technically still there, but is also not interactable with, but sometimes also might reappear if you build something that sticks around into it again? but not always"

One of the things that's vanished is the base computer, which audibly comes to life when I'm near it but is also invisible, which means I can't actually delete it from in-game

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
efb

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If you create a new save can you go to the vendor in the anomaly to get expedition rewards again like the living ship?

Thinking about doing that to get a better start freighter.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Does anyone have problems with doing Cross Save stuff? I have Gamepass. Started out on PC, played some on Xbox, now when I start it up on PC most of the time, I can't get past the title screen. (the one with the three dudes before mode/save selection). I've had some success deleting temp files or reinstalling, but that seems to work once and then doesn't work anymore.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

priznat posted:

If you create a new save can you go to the vendor in the anomaly to get expedition rewards again like the living ship?

Thinking about doing that to get a better start freighter.

Yep! You can always claim rewards on every save as far as I know.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

One of the things that's vanished is the base computer, which audibly comes to life when I'm near it but is also invisible, which means I can't actually delete it from in-game

You should be able to delete it from the quick menu if you want to.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Yep! You can always claim rewards on every save as far as I know.

Sweet! May just do that, start a new one and run the expedition.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainSkinny posted:

You should be able to delete it from the quick menu if you want to.

I'm fairly certain that's "hiding other people's bases via reporting them", unless they've added something hidden somewhere that I missed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Really digging this expedition so far, way less annoying “hunt around on foot in an inhospitable area to find a big monolith” quests than the last one!

I am wondering what to do with the salvaged data units, since I’m not building planetary bases. It would be cool if there was a way to convert them to the ship modules. They do fetch a lot of units at the trade stations though.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Finished up this expedition, my first. Pretty neat, although I was helped by the refinery on my freighter making GBS threads out as much Chlorine and Oxygen as I wanted.

One question, though - are Dream Aerials just borked on some saves? I found one on like my third frigate mission on the expedition save, but my main save hasn't seen one after a few days of running missions nonstop.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Just found myself a solar ship and I think it’s my favourite ship I’ve had so far, it’s so pretty with its dragonfly wings :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is that a glitch or do I need 250 hermetic seals to feed my living frigate. Talked to the captain on my frieghter if that matters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Something else I just found out, after getting my Living Frigate all the expedition times lept up. The one I had out there went from 15mins left to 2 hours, everything else is 4 hours for formerly 32min ones and 14 for the 4 hour ones. Anyone got a clue?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

Is that a glitch or do I need 250 hermetic seals to feed my living frigate. Talked to the captain on my frieghter if that matters.

"Weird red hue on a stack material with a rank associated" tends to indicate a bug, yes. Never seen that specific one before though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Weird red hue on a stack material with a rank associated" tends to indicate a bug, yes. Never seen that specific one before though

A power flicker reset my computer, I couldn't find the captain afterward, but accessing it from the terminal let me feed it normally (and the couple of food I had could make it combat or trade which were the two I was totally lacking yay). So it was either a reboot issue or a captain issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve hit a few bugs in the expedition, like the large refiner just losing everything in it (I reloaded) and my ship constantly being on fire.

Also one of the stations had all the npcs A-posing and sliding around the floor, that one was pretty amusing.