Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

American McGay posted:

Ghost Babel is extremely ftw.

feel like they shoulda kept putting them out like nintendo putting out gb zelda games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

updated OP

mods please change the title to [Text Adventures - Deadline 8/7/22 11:59PM EST] later tonight

thanks!

propose we extend this deadline by +2 days to get the dates back onto Tuesday nights

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s cool because it’s some OOT Ganon wins alternate timeline poo poo where 2 and 4 never happen.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
decided to use my remaining time to instead load up my peace walker save and get in some last minute buzzer beaters

: Unlock Kojima
: Unlock the Monster Hunter Stages

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

decided to use my remaining time to instead load up my peace walker save and get in some last minute buzzer beaters

: Unlock Kojima
: Unlock the Monster Hunter Stages

hell yeah

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

mbt posted:

the week between christmas and new years should be every game from the past year

into this idea so i can have another opportunity to not finish metal gear acid

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

American McGay posted:

It’s cool because it’s some OOT Ganon wins alternate timeline poo poo where 2 and 4 never happen.

that does sound cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

the week between christmas and new years should be every game from the past year

I really like this idea lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

Sub-Actuality posted:

propose we extend this deadline by +2 days to get the dates back onto Tuesday nights

sure lets set the deadline to 8/9/22

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Beat the game -
Find the Hidden Tape -

The deadline made that an intense gaming experience. I really felt the tension of the escape at the end

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Joan posted:

Beat the game -
Find the Hidden Tape -

The deadline made that an intense gaming experience. I really felt the tension of the escape at the end

nicely done!

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 56 days!
been a challenging month and it would've felt good to finish with at least one game beat for mgj, but i was still fighting the joy at the buzzer. see you tomorrow mom i mean kat i mean boss...
: Unlock the Mosin Nagant

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

Ugh...I can't figure out how to not get caught in the last Nikita room of Stage 11 Mission 2 and that stage is so drat long.

Had to call it with 3 missions left, this room is hosed up. Could definitely do it every time if they gave you a box for this mission but without one it seems like you just have to pray guards don't actually come to you. Can't win 'em all, maybe on the proposed make-up week lol. My fault for not starting this earlier. I regret not going with my initial plan of just getting dog tags in MGS2 but I had enough of that game after last night.

As for the special missions I did actually finish, they're pretty fun, especially the alternate power plant demolition ones. But they would be about a million times better if they removed the cutscenes and codecs from story mode from them. I can't fault them for not doing that though, its an amazing little GBC game.

Metal Gear July is finally over. What a perfect month. I started back to school this summer and all had to do this July were two extremely easy classes, so I had so much time to Metal Gear. I started adding codenames to this image when I realized just how much I was going to play lol.

Thanks for running it TLD, and extra thanks to Sub-Actuality for upkeeping such a sick site. Excited for the future of the IZGC, it owns so hard.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Joan posted:

Beat the game -
Find the Hidden Tape -

nice work.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

that was a drat good month

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

i really like this idea

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

That Little Demon posted:

Pick 15

Deadline 8/7/22 11:59PM EST

Something a bit different and unique for this week:

Write up per Cubone

:siren: Text Adventures :siren:

People are still making these! Well passed the days of Zork and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, text adventures have become something of a niche hobbyist interest, and the games have gotten more intuitive, player-friendly, and unique, with creators exploring and iterating on different kinds of interaction and unusual settings. They're also pretty short, so instead of one game, we'll be doing a sampler of several games that do different things, so you can check them all out or just play the ones that interest you.

Gun Mute

A text adventure-shooter. Play as a mute gay cowboy in a Weird West setting taking on cyborg outlaws with nothing but your six-gun and your wits. Kind of to shooting games what Punch-Out!! is to fighting games- every shootout is a little puzzle where you have to pay attention to details and make logical conjectures to win.

Photobia

This one starts off a bit narratively abstract, and I don't want to spoil it, but the story does come into focus and when it does it hits pretty hard. I'd compare this one to walking sims- there are interactive bits, but you're really playing it more for the experience than moving towards a goal. Though it does feature a pretty remarkable outside-the-box puzzle that feels amazing to figure out.

Superluminal Vagrant Twin

Ignore the terrible title, this one's great. You play as something of a space mercenary, meeting strange folks and doing odd jobs in order to raise the money you owe to free your kidnapped twin. A little like Mass Effect but with everything pared down to work within just a few game mechanics that are extremely simple (even for a text adventure), while still feeling massive.

An Act of Murder

A murder mystery with a time limit and randomized variables (so it's replayable). You play as a detective investigating a murder at an isolated estate in the country. Move around the large estate, examining clues, interrogating suspects, and compiling evidence to present when your boss arrives. I recommend saving often and taking lots of notes- little things can end up crucially important.

How to Run These
On every game's IFDB (interactive fiction database) page, in the upper right corner, there's links to every available way to play the game. Some of them you can play in browser, others have playable .exes available to download, but many come in files with weird extensions like .z8. For those you need an interpreter- you can kind of think of an interpreter as an emulator and the story files as ROMs. IFDB is thoughtful enough to accompany story file links with a link to a wiki page that can point you towards options for the interpreter you need, but honestly Gargoyle works for just about everything if you want to play on desktop, and it's available for Windows, OSX, and Linux. iPhone or iPad users can also use a really reliable free app called Frotz. Android users, I dunno sorry, but a quick google search recommends something called "Fabularium"

Trophies this week thanks again to Sub-Actuality!

Beat 1 game:
Beat all 4:

Games Start 8/1/22 12AM EST

IZGC ftw.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
lol just noticed i got a secret trophy. bad rear end, thank you sub-actuality.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

is there a list of games from the previous game club

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

been a challenging month and it would've felt good to finish with at least one game beat for mgj, but i was still fighting the joy at the buzzer. see you tomorrow mom i mean kat i mean boss...
: Unlock the Mosin Nagant

welcome to the club :ocelot:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

is there a list of games from the previous game club

Fungah! posted:

i remember hearin axelay was cool, good pic rookie

oh yaeh i put together a list of games from th first two game clubs:

super punch out
alien soldier
the legend of zelda
symphony of the night
super hang on
gargoyle's quest
mystical ninja starring goemon/goemon's great adventure

lmfao that first sentence

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Axelay owns

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

some MGJ stats that were kind of interesting

Games ranked by how many imps earned at least one trophy:

Metal Gear (14 imps)
Metal Gear 2 (11 imps)
Ghost Babel (11 imps)

Ranked by total trophies earned:

Metal Gear Solid 3 (34 trophies)
Metal Gear Solid (32 trophies)
Metal Gear (30 trophies)

Ranked by total trophies earned, relative to the total available per game:

Metal Gear 2 (21:2)
Metal Gear (30:4)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (34:5)

Out of all 55 trophies, there were only 3 that nobody earned

Total Platinum trophies earned: 9
(4 of those were Evil Eagle lol)

it is estimated that Evil Eagle now owns 80% of the world's trophies

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me
mods please update the thread title to [TEXT ADVENTURES - Deadline 8/9/22 11:59PM]

thank you, and hope everyone had a good MGJ

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sub-Actuality posted:

Metal Gear (14 imps)
Metal Gear 2 (11 imps)
Ghost Babel (11 imps)

Metal Gear (30 trophies)

RIP MGS2 VR missions, Revengence VR Missions and PoOps Stealth Camo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

Metal Gear (14 imps)
Metal Gear 2 (11 imps)
Ghost Babel (11 imps)

Metal Gear (30 trophies)

mgs2 vr missions and what else?
did anyone get metal gear nes or the dont fall in pits one?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i downloaded an if interpreter as recommended by that site and windows says it has a virus and i cant open or delete it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

mbt posted:

i dont think anyone got the mgr vr missions

i was doing them then my xbox controller started drifting to the point of being unusable

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mbt posted:

OP beat MG1 NES, Arf fell in no pits

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

yeah the 3 that nobody got were:

MGS2 - Complete all Alternate and VR missions
Portable Ops - Unlock the Stealth Camo
Metal Gear Rising - Finish all VR missions

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

elf help book posted:

i downloaded an if interpreter as recommended by that site and windows says it has a virus and i cant open or delete it

hm uh-oh

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Got an interpreter good and MS-DOS themed, gonna start up Superluminal Vagrant Twin.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Got myself a shiny new heat shield. Calling it there for tonight.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I got up to tech level 94 for the PoOps stealth camo, but just couldn’t keep going. Capturing people is way too tedious

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Metal Gear July kicked rear end! Imp Zone ftw!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Beat Gun Mute. Fun, simple game. Looking forward to the rest of them.