Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How bad is Apex thought to be in this regard? I have my own internal rankings of the "big Three hero shooters" but it did occur to me that one could have considerably more or less cheaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

pointlessone posted:

If the game has any sort of grind, I'll cheat the heck out of single player and I'll abuse every glitch in the world that won't get me banned from multiplayer. I'm playing these games to have fun, not have a second job.

However, the entire point of competitive multiplayer is to compare your skills to other people, why cheat just to end up playing with other cheaters?

I just like playing things as designed. I don't even like customizing default game controls, or even tweaking OS or IDE UIs (im a software dev). If the grind was boring, I guess I wouldn't play it. I really can't understand why people would cheat at a competitive level in video games unless they were making money off of it or just trying to make other people feel bad. There is no way you could feel good about the wins.

e: maybe they are just trying to boost so they can practice at higher level games and derank.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

How bad is Apex thought to be in this regard? I have my own internal rankings of the "big Three hero shooters" but it did occur to me that one could have considerably more or less cheaters.

I barely notice, it was super bad a while back but they seemed to nip it in the bud, now it comes in waves.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's not like anyone could tell the difference between a console player and someone aimbotting :v:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jack B Nimble posted:

apex is generally the cleanest fps i've ever played wrt cheating. valorant is pretty clean too, but both are the least suspect if you're playing on an older account with a lot of hours played on it.

it's basically what dogstile said above: mostly very good, you'll see stuff in waves. You basically never see someone openly rage hacking in apex. Like I haven't seen that in probably 2+ years and I play a lot of apex.

that said you get owned by people who are unfathomably better sometimes, which might as well be getting killed by cheaters lol so it all kind of balances out.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Arzachel posted:

It's not like anyone could tell the difference between a console player and someone aimbotting :v:
in warzone it is usually impossible to tell in the killcam if you got aimbotted down or rollered down lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

headcase posted:

I would never cheat in any game, even single player.

You say that but some single player games have grinding expectations that put Korean MMOs to shame.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also anyone who uses wallhacks to try to help their long-term game sense is probably hurting their long-term game sense and will likely give tons of terrible habits

you probably kill your spidey sense by having a tool keep telling you what places are safe and what places are not lol

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

comedyblissoption posted:

also anyone who uses wallhacks to try to help their long-term game sense is probably hurting their long-term game sense and will likely give tons of terrible habits

you probably kill your spidey sense by having a tool keep telling you what places are safe and what places are not lol

Fully agree. People who use cheats to get good are basically never going to be good without them.

There are exceptions, ofc. I think babybay was an ex cheater.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

https://twitter.com/Portergauge/status/1553204606997446656

$5 for three sprays, lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

45 bucks for a skin, good lord

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

people in the replies are saying those are only the prospective numbers based on you answering previous answers like you'd pay out the nose

but let me tell you, my siblings in Christ

I'm not paying a dime

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Relax, it's probably been "leaked" in order to set some anchor pricing.

Then, when the actual prices are like 40-60% less, everyone - well, not everyone - will think "Oh, that's actually way more reasonable, let me get my credit card and pay $20 bucks for that skin, that's a steal. I would be straightup dumb if I didn't jump on this time-limited item! Ha! I'm so smart!"

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I also took that survey, and despite answering in pretty much every single capacity that I don't give a gently caress about sprays or banners, barely even want to get them for free, and would never pay a single dime for one... it still presented me with some hypothetical bundles that seemed laughably overpriced, but would also fluctuate wildly with no rhyme or reason. Maybe it was intentional, to make the legendary/mythic skin bundles seem like a better deal by comparison when they would offer them at anywhere from $15 to $45.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I would pay $15 for one of those mythic skins if they are rolled out as promised. Sorry for supporting Blizzard’s bad behavior.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Sheeple

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I wouldn’t pay $15, but I do wish that they would let you just buy specific things instead of lootboxing.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
$15-25 for legendaries seems about right but 45 bucks for whale bait seems on the low end, honestly

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'd pay $15 to play the beta again.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm just not going to give blizzard money.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

No more betas until launch

that support's gonna be fine and not OP at all, I'm sure

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol, was 100% expecting a beta this month or next with the new support. What the eff.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm glad they're launching the new support without any broad community testing so it will be completely broken and OP and everyone queues support so I can finally play loving tank/dps

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

teagone posted:

Lol, was 100% expecting a beta this month or next with the new support. What the eff.

Yeah I think we all assumed this, weird call considering everything so far, but it's blizzard so who's expecting them to do things right, anyway?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm glad they're launching the new support without any broad community testing so it will be completely broken and OP and everyone queues support so I can finally play loving tank/dps

My theory is that heroes being broken on release fuels content which makes people play the game, then they can just quickly patch it later.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah they like stretching the limits of what is possible with a new mechanic. If they released characters underpowered, nobody would adopt them or test the new mechanic. It's more exciting to do something game changing and let the rest of the cast adapt to it.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

How better to help queue times for the other roles than releasing a brand new support at launch? Problem solved EZ

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They're on record, at some point in OW1, as saying they intentionally make new heroes OP to ensure they're played, then scale them back to what they always actually wanted the hero to be. So, just mentally disregard any initial impression of "new hero breaks game!" And also "why did this common sense nerf take so long!"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That was fine until they abandoned OW1.

Also that being said the loving brig bug lasted like over a year.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What a glorious year it was. It may not have been fun for my opponent but what a genuinely novel FPS experience. Playing a d&d cleric in a shooter.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I generally hate unintended techs/glitches like mercy's jump, but brig's was so much fun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

dogstile posted:

That was fine until they abandoned OW1.

Also that being said the loving brig bug lasted like over a year.

I think the content drought is probably the worst decision they've ever made. Completely ceded any hype to all of their competitors, screwed over streamers, stagnated the whole drat thing

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Reminder that the brig bug was "solved" by them taking armour from tanks, meaning they were useless without brig until rebuffing, which only happened when they realised brig armour was applying the damage reduction multiple times depending on how many stacks you had.

Just, lol. It was a weird year. Winston basically did negative damage.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Pretty fitting that the last OW1 event ever is the usual wet fart of recolors.

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1557071316389445632?s=20&t=ryZrCxfGGjaswovGt6tCHw

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

headcase posted:

Yeah they like stretching the limits of what is possible with a new mechanic.

yeah. it reminds me of when jeff kaplan spent a year advocating for 1/3/2 roles internally, then it got pushed live, and they abandoned the idea within like 2 days, and stopped all development on the game for 4 years and lost developer after developer before deciding to go to 1/2/2 instead

the community did a great job with the feedback on that one. at least they'll have 2/2/2 forever as a reward for their work stopping overwatch from being saved

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Minera posted:

yeah. it reminds me of when jeff kaplan spent a year advocating for 1/3/2 roles internally, then it got pushed live, and they abandoned the idea within like 2 days, and stopped all development on the game for 4 years and lost developer after developer before deciding to go to 1/2/2 instead

the community did a great job with the feedback on that one. at least they'll have 2/2/2 forever as a reward for their work stopping overwatch from being saved

There is an alternate timeline where we could be watching an Overwatch cartoon with Arcane production values because they didn’t dumpster their most popular IP in years. Man, blizzard’s brain got so broken by DotA they will blow everything up chasing e-sports.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'll have some sympathy on not doing 1-3-2 in 2020. There was a year and a half+ of full-time crying because mercy lost mass resurrection. Rethinking the entire tank role while there was still a decent player base would have felt really crazy.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lord Packinham posted:

Man, blizzard’s brain got so broken by DotA they will blow everything up chasing e-sports.
It wasn't just e-sports, Blizz is still wrestling with the consequences of spending nearly a decade thinking they were infallible rock stars and disappearing up their own rear end.

Still no PvE news? Is it coming when 2 officially launches?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

Still no PvE news? Is it coming when 2 officially launches?

I'd put money on the answer being "no" but also that there'll be more info on it when PvP launches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm perfectly happy because I never had any interest in a pve thing