Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the consensus is that we are all rude dudes who don't visit our ol' man often enough :colbert:

Haha, yeah, something like that! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the consensus is that we are all rude dudes who don't visit our ol' man often enough :colbert:

Hey, it's not Ken's fault that his dad decided to go all "I AM GOD! HERE IS AN ARK" and didn't mention "BY THE WAY, KEN, GOR TO THE HIDDEN LAND DEEP UNDERGROUND, I WISH TO MEET WITH YOU, AND TELL YOUR MOTHER I SAID HELLO." You can blame Ken, but he was busy trying to preserve 2 of every animal, and thought his old man was dead-dead.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
from the hotel:

quote:

Ken found 2 G!

ah, gimmick chests :allears:

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

I read this thread over the last week and wow, what a ride. Came for the weird monster designs, stayed because the plot is peak 90's late night anime and just keeps going.

Thank you for taking the time to not just play through this but translate and show off bits of the PC version.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I am really loving how Scenario C's plot goes places compared to the others. Thank you for the time spent on showing us this game so far!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Super impressed at how the game somehow nails the "sci-fi comedy" balance. It's got a real mystery you keep wanting to unfold, but times like Ken's dad just kind of going "oh hey Ken how's it going, I'm now the ruler of the planet somehow" made me laugh out loud.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Wow.

This game sure is something.

I think I caught up on the thread in two days of reading? Had to force myself to leave the tab to actually do things at points, it's just so well written and the game is super interesting. Something I probably would've loved to play and explore back when I had more time and if it had come out in English.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

KariOhki posted:

Wow.

I think I caught up on the thread in two days of reading? Had to force myself to leave the tab to actually do things at points, it's just so well written and the game is super interesting. Something I probably would've loved to play and explore back when I had more time and if it had come out in English.

Honestly, it's a seriously cool game (and even ahead of its time in some ways), and it's really a massive shame that there was never any effort to release it in the West. I mean, we ultimately got even stuff like Moon: Remix many years later, but nobody seems interested to bring this one over even though it remains popular in Japan. Shoji Masuda was responsible for some really good games back in 1990s, like this one, then Tengai Makyou II and also the original Oreshika, but all of them seem to be destined to remain Japan-only despite a good amount of fan interest. :(

I agree with you also that the writing is really top notch with definitely some of the best NPC chatter of any JRPG!

As I've mentioned a few times already, it does make me very happy that people here are really enjoying following the (mis)adventures of Linda and Ken and all the other characters! :v:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While I'm sad we never got the game released over here, considering the... hit-and-miss translations of games during the PSX/Saturn/N64 Era, I'll consider it a blessing. The humor is probably enough that Working Designs would probably have picked it up, but considering how some animals are only hinted at by random NPC dialog, and this is the company that managed to gently caress up a puzzles text so badly they had to post the answer on their website...

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
There also probably would've been a lot of sprite editing that would need to be done, unless they wanted the game to get an ESRB M rating which would kill sales that much more.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

KariOhki posted:

Wow.

this was me last week, now I'm clicking every thread update hoping for the next installment :f5:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ivantod posted:

Honestly, it's a seriously cool game (and even ahead of its time in some ways), and it's really a massive shame that there was never any effort to release it in the West. I mean, we ultimately got even stuff like Moon: Remix many years later, but nobody seems interested to bring this one over even though it remains popular in Japan. Shoji Masuda was responsible for some really good games back in 1990s, like this one, then Tengai Makyou II and also the original Oreshika, but all of them seem to be destined to remain Japan-only despite a good amount of fan interest. :(

It's a real shame that neither the original Oreshika or the PSP remake got brought over and the sequel was released with barely any acknowledgement from Sony's US branch.

(I didn't realize the same person was responsible for both Oreshika and Linda Cube, but I guess given the, uh, distinctive tone of the animated scenes in both games it makes a lot of sense)

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Wow its been a while since I read a Let's Play thread and I'm not disappointed! I've been blitzing through the thread for the past few days reading up on this strange yet somehow charming game. It's definitely very 90's especially in regards to the upcoming 2000 doomsday uncertainty and all that.

Man this triggers a memory back in the day when the local game shop was letting go some unsold PS games and they had massive amounts of Linda cubed going for sale. Unfortunately this was back when you had google on your fingertips and the only image thy had going for it was the one with Linda all chained up and bloody, so I passed it over and got that dating sim Sonata instead. Kinda kicking myself for that one.

One question though, so Ken's dad had an illness, died and somehow got his consciousness transferred into the underground computer? Then who is the dude who got locked up and stabbed by Nek in Hospico?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Morgenthau posted:

One question though, so Ken's dad had an illness, died and somehow got his consciousness transferred into the underground computer? Then who is the dude who got locked up and stabbed by Nek in Hospico?

The guy in the computer is Ken's adoptive father (stepfather). The guy who was beat up by Nek is his biological father (allegedly). So it's not the same guy.

Morgenthau posted:

Man this triggers a memory back in the day when the local game shop was letting go some unsold PS games and they had massive amounts of Linda cubed going for sale. Unfortunately this was back when you had google on your fingertips and the only image thy had going for it was the one with Linda all chained up and bloody, so I passed it over and got that dating sim Sonata instead. Kinda kicking myself for that one.

Well, if you really want a copy of this game, good news is that PS1 copies of this game in good condition can still be found on ebay for about $50, so not too expensive. The Sega Saturn version is for some reason a lot more expensive ($200) although it only comes with an extra soundtrack CD--the game itself is basically identically other than some very minor (really really minor) differences in dialogue text.

Also, welcome and thanks for the kind words! :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

No fruit dies so vile and offensive a death as the banana.
                    -- Kiran Desai

Last time, Linda and Ken explored a bit in the underground and found what looked like a hologram of Ken's adoptive father. He ultimately was not able to tell us much, other than the fact that he ended up down there by accident and that he was the one who sent the ark. He also mentioned that all the robots we have seem around remained there after their previous "masters" were already dead or gone and he just assumed the role. We also explored the abandoned hotel on the southwestern coast.

And so, as we start todays episode...

...it becomes Spring 1995!

Before we proceed, I want to make a small correction. Last time I mentioned that Linda's "Moon of Yabasa" ability is a big heal for the whole party--but actually I got that confused with another ability. Moon of Yabase actually puts all enemies to sleep with good probability! These new abilities obtained from rings are really powerful, as you can see.

And now, being that it is a new year, we should as always go...

...and check out the calendar for this year.

I'm pretty sure we've already seen this one before.

Before we proceed, there is one other thing I wanted so show you.

This is our inventory, and the highlighted item is basically an "oval shaped chocolate". Each spring this item appears in your inventory, presumably as a Valentine's day chocolate given from Ken to Linda or vice versa. A neat little touch in a game full of them. The usage of the item is just as a consumable that heals your HP when you use it.

So, with that done, we'll head down to Dogy Figh again.

Actually we'll head outside of Dogy Figh...

...where we find another one of these.

There is a silver pedestal here.

Would you like to put the silver beastman statue on the pedestal?

We certainly do.

This, of course, activates the teleporter. If we use it...

...we are teleported again down into the underground, but at a different location.

Here we can see on the map that we are in a totally different place from last time (our location is the black rectangle). In fact, if you look carefully at this map, you can see that there are some areas here which are completely blocked off by mountains and or water. So they cannot be accessed by walking, and you need the different coloured statues to be able to get to everything. Well, that's not entirely true, there's one other way, but we'll see about that later.

Anyway, on the previous screenshot you can already see a familiar animal species we can catch!

I am talking, of course, about lions. As you can see some species can found both over- and underground. But in general that is not the case for most of them. On the whole, the ones which can be found down here tend to be a bit more on the "exotic" side as far as the game is concerned, so quite a few of them will be in Class A. Here is where we will also find some as yet "undiscovered" species (which nonetheless cound for our total of 120!).

The other thing we can do in this part of the underground is... let ourselves get ambushed.

Most of the time this will result in an attack from a bunch of buffalos!

They rely mostly on brute force, but also have that "eject" ability which we've already seen with snakeheads. If the ejected person is Ken then this will end the battle prematurely, which can be a bit funny when it happens!

We'll now head back out as we really came here for now to get those two species in our backpack.

Back on the surface, we'll head again to battle park.

Or, rather, again just outside of it. Going into that ruin there...

...we can place here another beastman necklace. When active, this teleporter leads to Xass, so it basically saves you some walking, if you want.

A bit north is one more of these.

In this one, we can place the red beastman statue for another way into the undergound!

Here we are. If we check the map...

...we can see that this has taken us to that northwestern part which is not reachable by walking!

Well, first let's get a couple of species here for the ark and then... I will reveal the true reason for coming here!

Hey there, what are you?

Oh, right. Cicadas, of course.

I do like that the game often tries to tailor the animal's abilities a bit to their real world counterpart. So buffalos use brute force, cicadas make weird sounds to attack you and so on!

And yes, those are hooves on their feet of course. It can be seen even more clearly in the PC Engine version:

The other thing here are...

...these flying creatures.

Turns out, those are eels.

Again, unsurprisingly, their attacks are mostly electric-based!

As is often the case, the PC Engine version is just a bit less cute and a bit more horrific looking:

But anyway...

...as it turns out, there are also caves/dungeons down here too. And they are a little bit more unique than those overground.

So let's head into this one here.

This place is caled Melt Pot. Let's have a look.

So far, so ordinary...

...but after coming downstairs, we can see that this place is practically floating in lava! Therefore, as you can probably guess by now, we have come here for one single reason. To get some hot poop. You know, for the cherry trees in Eterna.

Just lava everywhere!

Walking through the dungeon, we pass by some random poop on the ground. But if we pick up the one in the middle...

...it turns out to be exactly the hot poop that we need for the cherry trees! It's not actually random, it's always this one here. The other two are just "warm" poop instead of "hot".

Nevetheless, let's continue through the dungeon, as there are two more inportant things to be found inside here!

You can also find this teleporter as you walk around! As you can already expect, it leads to...

Ah-ha! Looks like here we can use two more of our rings!

Ken absorbed the power of Harabade!

Maximum HP +5, Maximum BP +3, Attack Power +8, Defence +2, Speed +6

Of course, in addition to this, he also gains an ability: "The Foam of Haraba". This ability causes all enemies to be ejected from the battle with high probability, thus likely ending the battle. You might ask, what's the point of this, when there is an "Escape" command in battle? Well, the escape command works only when you're not surrounded on all four sides. So this is kind of an "emergency" ability if you really need to escape the battle!

Anyway, let's see about Linda's ring.

Linda absorbed the power of Haraba!

Maximum HP +4, Maximum BP +7, Attack Power +5, Defence +6, Speed +3

In addition to this, she gets the ability "The Water of Haraba". This one gives a big increase in speed to the whole party.

Now then, I'm sure that chest in the corner has not escaped your attention. Let's have a look.

Hey! Nice! Unlike the white one, this one does belong with the others and will activate a teleporter!

There are some animal species we'll come back to capture later on, but at this point let's just push on and reach the end of this dungeon.

Indeed. In order to reach the chest, you'll have to pick up the poop from the ground to clear the passage. The top and the bottom chest actually contain just more poop, but the middle one...

Oh no. Just as we managed to figure out what one related set of items does, it seems... well it certainly seems that we've got a first item of a new set that we again have no idea what to do with. Oh well. Let's keep it in our inventory for now. I'm sure the opportunity will present itself.

In any case, we are done here for now, and having obtained the higly desired hot poop, let's just head back to Eterna to deal with the cherry trees!

Here we are. If we talk to Sophia, she immediately notices we have hot poop with us.

Eh? Let's spread the hot poop into the soil!

She is a little bit impatient...

However, all she needed to do was wait a few seconds, because...

Yay! The cherry trees are back!

Waaaaaaa! Beautiful!
Grandpa! Look! Look! The cherry trees! The cherry trees have bloomed!
Now you have to come with me, just like you promised! You must! I'll take you with even if you don't want to!
Brother! Here's the key to the room where the promised money is hidden! So don't lose it!

Ken received the mansion key!

I've also spread some poop in the flower beds, so you can grow some flowers! Why don't you give them to her as a present? Women go for that! ❤

Yeah we should definitely go and get those 300 G that she promised us!

But before that. You would be forgiven for forgetting as it's been a while, but... we actually have been carrying a pouch of flower seed for quite a while now--we got it from Yamada after giving him 60,000 G! So let's have a look...

Use the seed pouch here?

Yes / No

Sure. Let's see what happens.

And in just a few seconds... a flower grows here! Well, since we have no immediate use for it, we'll just leave it here for the time being. We wouldn't want to risk it wilting over time in our inventory (as flowers do). In the meantime, we'll just have a chat with the gardener there.

When my father, my mother and I moved to Neo-Kenya, it was spring and the cherry trees were in bloom like this. It's quite nostalgic... I hope they bloom again next spring...

We can also talk to the grandpa...

Well, for as long as I have lived, I have never seen a dead tree bloom like that...
Maybe I should try to make another flower bloom... If possible, with a young woman. What do you think, Linda? I still have good technique!

Don't answer that, Linda. It's a trick question.

Anyway, let's just go quickly and get our reward.

This new key allows us to unlock all the locked door here in the mansion. This one is where our immediate reward is. The first chest contains the 300 G, as the girl promised us. The second one contains an air free pass. But I already have one since the beginning of the game, so I'll just sell this one.

There are a few more locked rooms with chests in the mansion, but I won't bore you with that as they all contain just various stimulant drugs that you can use to boost your stats temporarily during the battle.

Instead, we'll go upstairs and talk to the girl's mother.

I heard you made the cherry blossoms bloom for my father. You guys really like doing weird things, don't you?
Maybe you should try digging around the cherry trees. Who knows, you might find a pot of gold or something, huh? Not! The world doesn't work that way, you know! Things don't come so easily!

Digging around the cherry trees, you say? Well, this game is funny enough that now I would exactly expect to find gold buried under one of them!

We have to check! (By the way, not sure why that flower has moved. It's definitely the game and not me doing some weird editing or something).

After a bit of trying...

Huh, well what do you know. There WAS gold buried under the cherry tree!

Oban and koban are names for the old Japanese gold "coins" minted during the period of Tokugawa shogunate from 1600 all the way to mid-1800s. Here is a real one:

By PHGCOM - Own work by uploader, photographed at Toi Museum, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7555742

This one in particular on the photograph happens to be from 1601.

Oh right, before I forget, in order for this to work and to be able to find the coin, you also have to have a dog in your active party. Apparently it's the dog who sniffs it out and digs it out from under the tree!

Anyway, as far as the game item itself is concerned its only purpose is that we can sell it for some money. So even if you miss out on this, it's not a big deal--you only lose the 36,000 G that it sells for.

All righty then. We are basically done with this quest and can head out now. So the only active and unsolved quest that we have now is to bring some pteranodon eggs to Bronco at the farm. But that one will have to wait for just a little bit longer.

While outside, let's make a camp with Linda!

We still have no idea where the ark will take us... Doesn't that make you feel a bit uncertain?
[ A fair bit...] / Not really.
Well, I know that even if we go all the way to the end of the universe, I can survive as long as I have a bit of food... and Ken!

Also... we get another message notification! Perhaps a new quest awaits us?

Back down at the ark, the season switches to Summer 1995. We now have only four years left until the end and still about 50-ish species to collect!

Before we check out the phone message, let's first finish a task which has been outstanding for a while! Some time ago, we gave about 100,000 G to those scientists who were digging for water in Karagoram. So, let's go and see if they've succeeded!

Well, that certainly looks like water, so they must have succeeded. Let's go inside the tent and talk to the guy.

How about it! Didn't I tell you? Just look at that daphnia! Her clear white skin and lovely round eyes! Her body, her face, even the shape of her bottom! Just like my late wife!

All right, calm down. But for us, the important part is that apparently the species that water has brought back is daphnia (a.k.a the water flea, despite the fact that it's a crustacean and not an insect!). Certainly we need to collect them for the ark!

By the way, I forgot to mention, if you take too long before you donate, the professor gets eaten by the dogs that live in this cave and you miss out on daphnias.

Ah, here they are.

Funnily enough, they don't even look that different from "our" daphnias! The real-life ones also do indeed have mostly transparent bodies like this, so their internal organs like the heart etc. can be easily seen.

So this wasn't actually an "official" quest, but obviously you have to do it if you want to capture all 120 species.

In any case, now that that's done, we'll head to Ozport for a bit of a break, because local NPCs suddenly have some VERY interesting things to say about this planet!

Welcome Neokenya!

This person near the (closed) egg shop.

It seems that before the school trip season, young mothers rush to the red cedar tree here. It's quite a sight as they try to quickly erase the names of old boyfriends that they carved here on the spur of the moment, before they got married.

And then this guy by the tree...

It was actually the Federation Tourism Board and the people from the hotel here who gave the tree the name "red thread cedar" and spread the rumour that it guarantees a love match! They are pretty good at this, ho?

Inside, in the airport waiting room, we can talk this person.

All animals on this planet, excluding humans and dogs, are not able to survive when transferred to another planet! Apparently it has to do with the fact that they cannot synthesise certain proteins in their bodies.

Let's head quickly up to Ozsat via the teleporter.

Up on the satellite, a quick chat with this lady sitting at the controls.

The scientists say that this device is not moving anything physically but instead it's only moving the information. In other words, to this device, a human being is nothing more than a mass of information that can be disassembled and reconstructed!

The essence of TransCargo technology which also powers our backpack!

Here we can talk to these two ladies. First the one with the ponytail.

The Federation may have screwed me over this time around, but I will not give up! I'll start over somewhere else and succeed! Even if I don't manage... my children will! That's how I will raise them!

And the one sitting down...

I heard that they found something interesting at the bottom of the ark... the root tissue from a plant. But it was not any plant from this planet. That means that the ark must have flown somewhere before! So now at least you know that it works somehow and that it's worth doing all this.

Upstairs, in the departure area, we can talk to these two scientists...

We've found traces of clever genetic tampering on a lot of the animals here. So I thought... I examined the bodies of Beastians and found the same kinds of marks. That was about 25 years ago; at that time already the third generation was born to Beastian and settler couples, so there was no going back any more. In fact I'm also one of those children!

And so is Linda. And we did notice that many animal species have unexpected organs/appendages in strange places, so...

The other person:

Why would the Federation support a thing like the ark project is something I find difficult to get a handle on. Certainly they would not just be swayed by an altruistic idea of animal protection. But then, why? Well, I have an idea. Come and visit me in the year of the arrival of the Grim Reaper and I will tell you what I think why that is.

What a tease. Ok, sure. We'll put it on our list.

And finally this person here.

Someone who left the planet has left you a message. Would you like to hear it.
[ Yes. ] / No.
Kissing Dr. Flora 256 times will not give you the ability "identify poop", but perhaps it might make you a better kisser!

Nice little meta joke about Linda's "identify plant" ability, coupled with sometimes silly secret requirements in JRPGs--dodging 200 lightning bolts, anyone? Not to mention about Dr. Flora's propensity to want to kiss everybody who comes along!

All right, we'll head back down to the planet. In the hotel part of the airport...

...we'll definitely annoy people in their roooms, like always!

The fossils of animals on this planet, reveal some strange things. It seems that about 20,000 years ago, there was a sudden drastic change in this planet's ecosystem. Like somehow God created new species of animals, or...
Or, perhaps, they were actually brought in from somewhere else?

Good question, and I think I may already know the answer...

I also stop by the bank to withdraw our money. But since this is the bank branch where Yamada used to work, we'll just quickly have a chat!

In my case, I can safely say that unlike Mr. Yamada, I will never end up having relationship problems with women, hehehe! ❤

And if we go behind where the bank offices are...

I really don't get what these young people are doing nowadays. Just the other day, Yamada and Maki got married and then divorced the very next day and they both retired. Then Yamada's colleague Paul married Maki the day after, and also retired. I don't understand this at all.

It's a mystery!

Ok, well, we're now ready to check out the next message...

But before that, there is one person I forgot to talk to.

It's this pregnant lady over in Hospico.

You should have children as soon as possible, because they give you a lot of happiness each day. The greates happiness of all: the ability to relive the depth of love your parents had for you!

All right. NOW we go and check out the next message.

My name is Kevin and I live in Rose Garden. Um, my little pet Poroporo is acting kind of weird... Big bro, please help me!

You might remember from Scenario B that Kevin is the kid who has a pet stag beetle (which we need). We couldn't do anything about it then, but now we may be able to! Looks like we have our next quest, therefore our destination is Rose Garden--it's been a while since we stopped by there!

Let's head inside for now.

Of course we'll talk this scientist here.

This is Dr. Flora's friend, MC Alice, the talking flower. She's like minah bird and can learn to mimic words and will brighten the atmosphere in any house! She's quite the charmer.
Normally the price is 400 G, but since this is the last one, I will give it to you for 100 G. What do you say?
[ I will buy it! ] / Nope.
Then we'll deliver it to your house in Hardia. It will provide you with lots of fun, just make sure to take care of it regularly.

Of course we want to get the talking flower! Even if it really is just for fun and has no influence on the gameplay!

Over here is Kevin's mother.

This my son Kevin in the back. I told him that his father is on a long term assignment in Flora Jam... but that's a lie. He died some time ago. It was in a freak accident when he stuck his head between the antlers of a stag beetle. Pretty dumb way to die, right? But still for kids of his age, it's difficult to talk about it.

The story is a little different from the previous scenario. There the parents were divorced. In any case, this finally gives us a reason to go to Flora Jam!

On the way to Kevin, we can also stop to talk to this guy.

Have you already met Dr. Flora, who created this park?
[ Yes. ] / No.
Then, has she ever kissed you?
[ Yes. ] / No.
Then, did you ever feel that the doctor's lips had a sexy, mysterious scent?
[ Yeah, that kind of feeling. ] / Not at all.
So you noticed it too...

So, uh, poop lipstick? I mean she is a poop expert, so...

I think it's better if we just talk to Kevin at this point!

Oh hey, big bro, it's me Kevin! You must have heard my voice mail!
My poor Poroporo won't eat anything and has stopped moving. I asked Dr. Flora and she thinks it's a nutritional disorder specific to female stag beetles. She told me that if I can feed her fresh blood fruit from the trees in Flora Jam, she would be able to quickly recover.
Dad is not home and I don't know what to do.
[ Leave it to me. ] / Sorry but another time!

So it seems this kid has the last female stag beetle in existence. Clearly we need it, but it seems first we have to solve whatever ails her by getting the fruit.

I know what you're thinking, we just need to go to Flora Jam and grab the fruit (like we did e.g. with that dog's collar thing). Unfortunately, no, it's not quite that simple. Nevertheless, let's head to Flora Jam to see what we can find there.

The chest by the way has a grasshopper mask. It's not better than what we already have.

So, here is our new quest. Nothing too surprising, we are supposed to save Poroporo by finding the fresh blood fruit and bringing it to Kevin in Rose Garden. The deadline is a bit on the short side, only 1 year and 2 seasons. But let's see.

Flora Jam can be found in the northwestern corner of the southern continent. It's that little grove of trees which are of slightly different colour. Going inside...

It's like a park/forest thing.

Checking out the map might scare you, but the whole area is definitely a bit more open than it seems and not especially frustrating to navigate.

As we walk along, we run into a security guard.

We lost one guard because of a stupid accident so now we have to do even more work! And on top of that, it seems that the female stag beetles have gone extinct before we realised! We didn't notice it becaus their number was anyway small compared to the number of males... but if the authorities find out, we'll probably get a big pay cut or even lose our jobs.

Well, not quite extinct, but certainly not far from it considering there is only one left.

Also, it seems that we might be able to at least find some male ones here, then? We'll, let's keep going.

There are also trees with red fruits, like this one. We can definitely pick up the fruit.

Ken obtained a red fruit.

Well, yeah, as expected.

Soon, we find a second security guard.

I don't know why it's so funny, but once we had here a security guard who liked to stick his head between the antlers of male stag beetles. But he died in an accident. Do you want to hear the story?
[ Tell me! ] / I don't really care.
He ate a bit too much the night before accident, so he got a bit bloated and at one point farted very loudly. It just so happened that at that moment he had his head between a beetle's antlers. But the loud sound startled it, and then well... it was "snap" and then "roll" and that was it!

You might also remember the conversation about Dr. Flora keeping her animal experiments here in this park. So as we walk along we can run into some of her genetically modified creations.

Like for example these not-ants.

Or the not-giraffe. There are also not-gorillas, but I didn't happen to run into any. In any case, none of them count towards the total of 120, so feel free to completely ignore them.

Also, as we walk around, we find many other trees, but all of them have only the red fruits.

Eventually we come to this tree, which does look very slightly different. Let's check it out.

Ken obtained the blue fruit.

Oh. So this one is just blue. And, well, to cut a long story short, no matter how much you look, the only thing you will find on trees in Flora Jam is a bunch of red fruits and this one tree with blue fruits. Definitely no "fresh blood fruit" anywhere to be found.

In fact, there are actually TWO different ways of obtaining the fresh blood fruit, but they are both a bit non-obvious, so I will leave that for now until we come to that point.

In the meantime, let's focus on finding at least a male stag beetle. This is not quite a ladybird situation, since it was made very clear by multiple people that they live here in the park. However they are EXTREMELY rare and it may take you a good while of wandering around until you find at least one group.

It helps when you know what they look like on the screen. Anyway here's one, and it's important to remember they're definitely there and to not give up, even it may take some minutes of looking before you find them.

Yep, those are stag beetles.

Also as you can see above, the game does have the full stats defined for females too, and you can even sell them, but since there's only one in the entire game, it's not really advisable to do so!

For "reasons", I want to capture all three. But they're prone to running away, so first I use Linda's "Moon of Yabasa" ability.

This puts them all to sleep, so the can then be captured more easily. For the actual capture I use Ken's "Gale Cutter", since it's a fairly weak ability. Obviously, for the ark, we only need one, but as I said, we may need a backup for something else that we'll talk about next time.

Anyway, we've found what there is to be found here for the time being, so let's head out and do something else for a while!

As we return back to Hardia...

...it is now Autumn 1995! Huh, the time sure passes quickly lately.

However, that doesn't mean we don't have time for a bit of rest. So let's go to Linda and Ken's house.

Here, of course, we now have also MC Alice! Let's see what she's heard in our absence!

"Let's not do this now...."
"Ah, it's fine! My brother is away all the time, collecting animals!"
"But..."
"Come over here..."
"Weeelllll..... ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤"

The flower certainly seems to have a very particular topic it likes to mimic, doesn't she.

Anyway, that bed over there, Ken and Linda can definitely use to sleep in it and recover HP and so on (instead of an inn or a camp). So let's have a rest.

[ Yes. ] / No.
Night! ❤

Later, during the night...

Hey Ken, I should probably let you know... what your roaming hand is squeezing right now, that's actually the pillow.
That's my chin.
That's my neck.
That's my shoulder.
You silly! *kiss* ❤

Hehehe.

All right, now that we're refreshed, let's keep going. Our next destination is Parside.

Because that's where Ken's mum is hanging about at the moment as par of her Neo-Kenya tour.

I used to tease Gomez by making him pretend to be a dog!

Ah, so that's where he got it from, huh?

Anyway, let's try to uncover a bit more of the "secret of the ark" to finish up for today. This time we'll access underground via the well in Minago.

Although, before that.

We can have a quick chat with the priest up here.

Ken, both of your brother's weddings were quite unique. Nek and Sachiko are now in Laguna Lodge. Make sure to visit them as they are about to leave the planet.

Well, I think we did do that already, so...

The other person we want to check in with is this guy who studies animals.

I don't think there are any undiscovered animals anywhere in the whole of Neo-Kenya. But maybe there is. If you happen to catch such an animal, come and show it to me. As the first discoverer of a new species, the honour of naming it will go to you!

All right then, let's go and discover more secrets of the ark AND in the process find some undiscovered species? How's that sound?

So as I said, we'll just head down the well again.

From here...

...we'll head past the big pyramid...

...and over to where the two smaller ones were. We'll enter the one on the right.

It's just a large area of hallways and walls.

Again it looks a lot more complicated than it is.

The important part is here. Looks like there is a passage guarded by several layers of doors. There is also a switch to the right. If we press the switch...

So, it seems all we need to do is find other switches to open the rest of the doors?

The next switch is down here in a corner.

The third one is here behind these awesome statues.

And then, if we follow these narrow passages...

...we go past a room containing lots of those dangerous guys.

Ultimately, we find the last three switches.

This door is now open, so we'll use Ken's camouflage to quickly grab whatever is in that chest!

Oh, hey! That was definitely worth it! Don't worry, we'll come back and fight these guys in a moment.

The road here is open now, though.

Obviously it's a teleporter.

It leads to a hallway with three possible destinations--there is a teleporter at each end that is not visible here. Top and left actually go to the same place, so let's go there first!

It's just a big empty area, but...

...there is a unique animal species we can catch here! Let's see what it is!

Oh. It's the... um... "the shining guy".

So, as you might guess, welcome to our first "undiscovered species"! Instead of a proper name, the undiscovered species will have some sort of description, like "the shining guy" in this case. But other than that, the battles proceed in a normal way.

Also, I'm sure you've already noticed their HP. That's right, they literally have 1 HP. And in order to capture them... you have to do exactly 1 HP of damage, no more. There are a couple of options here. One is probably to throw some poop. Most poop does single digit damage, so you might get lucky here. The second option is to simply set up a trap here and you will almost certainly catch a few. And the third option is to use the weakest weapon in the game. If you use Ken's starting weapon, the squirrel needle, because of how their stats work out, you will typically deal 1-2 HP damage depending on the RNG, thus allowing you an easy capture of these guys. In this case, I also equipped the squirrel needle on Linda because she has a lower attack stat to begin with.

Anyway, that's all there is down here, so let's head back up!

Now we'll take the other teleporter.

It leads down here. But... is that another ark to the right of us?

Linda is confused too.

Yeah... it seems to be a whole bunch more arks in storage, somehow?

If we check the map of this place...

...and yes, it's just arks as far as eye can see! Well, nothing else we can really do but get on one of them and see what's up!

Well, so far looks the same as what we already know. Let's go into the main room.

Yep, that looks the same. Except that we can't hand in anything here. We just get a message:

Well, all right then.

Let's head upstairs.

Maybe talk to the robot?

From the moment the crew is registered, the ship begins to operate as a whole, as part of crew's body and soul. It continues to grow with the crew, and when the crew despairs, the ship dies too.

Well, that's more or less the same thing that the robots on "our" ark are saying. The ark also does have those capsules where animals are stored, but they are all empty, so there is nothing to be found.

And then suddenly we start hearing a noise. It's a bit similar to the noise the crickets typically make--if you've never been in a place with lots of crickets, let me tell you, those buggers are LOUD! You wouldn't think being so small and everything, but no, they are L O U D!

Anyway, following the noise...

...we find the source of it, too!

Indeed, it's the crickets. Although the game is a bit specific here again, so these are, very specifically, bell crickets!

So, uh, to quote myself, this is "not quite the ladybird situation", since at least there is the noise to indicate you should investigate further until you find the source. But yes, this is the only place where these guys appear!

Anyway, after capturing the crickets, there's not really much left to do here. So let's head back all the way up and see about those menacing looking guys.

And by that, of course, I mean these guys. Let's find out what they are!

Ah, so another unknown species! This time they are described as "the ultra strong". As I mentioned, they do have the ability to increase their strength further and if you're unlucky they may one-shot you. So, what to do? Simply transform Ken into whatever gives him the strongest attack (normally, dolphin) and then just...

...spam "The Earth of Yabasa". It will only take a couple of casts. Remember also that it does hit all enemies on all four sides!

All righty then, we've had quite an adventure today, but let's get out of here now.

We'll head over to Minago again to talk to the animal researcher!

Oh! The animals you've caught seem to be genuine new species! As the first to discover them, you can name them!

And, we're given the opportunity to name the new species! We can use a maximum of four katakana letters. I should mention that this naming thing is just for fun. It doesn't matter what names you use or even if you don't do it at all. But we'll do it, because why not!

So "the shining guy" will become... firefly!

Firefly, huh? I had a friend once with that name. He used to fart a lot...

And "the ultra strong" will become T-Rex!

T-Rex, huh? I don't think that name makes any sense to me...

Yes, he always has a stupid comment. What can you do.

Anyway. We've done a lot today. Let's head back to the ark.

After handing everything in...

...we're now at 75 out of 120! So we still have 45 left to find.

As you can see, the capturing has become moderately harder since discovering the underground, and indeed, this is where most of the remaining species will be found (but we do still have some on the overground that we haven't yet got, so there's that). There are still some "undiscovered" ones too, although as you can see that is only for the player's amusement and has no gameplay impact.

Anyway, until next time, take care!

Again, it's two steps forward one step back!
  • Find a place where we can find some pteranodon eggs which were requested by Bronco.
  • Figure out a way to obtain a fresh blood fruit so we can give it to Kevin to feed his pet.
  • Figure out what is up with the stories about the "Underground Eden".
  • Visit the lady on Ozsat in 1999 to hear the rest of her story.
  • Investigate the story about a legendary animal which only appears during heavy blizzards in the north.
  • Find a place where female tree frogs can be found.
  • Figure out how to capture aye-ayes. Apparently they can disguise themselves as humans.
  • Explore the "untrodden wilds".
  • Explore more the "pyramids" in the underground.
  • Investigate more about who built the management system of the planet.
  • Find the rest of the teleporters which can be activated by beastman statues.
  • Investigate what happened in Garex in the south and what was the cause of the explosion which destroyed the place.
  • Find what the "crowns" are for and where they may be used.
  • Participate in dog fights (Dogy Figh).
  • Participate in hunter matches (Battle Park).
  • Visit the auction room (for fun).

Linda and Ken, looking cool:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kind of seems like Ken's dad probably should have sent out a lot of arcs, and not just the one
It'd be funny if you could register all of them and fill them up with animals. True 100% Hell: maximize every arc

I like the "undiscovered" species gimmick where you get to name them. Do they happen to "stick" across files or is it just for the one?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ahhh I love that concept art pic! Holy smokes

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I really hate how those bell crickets look lol

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Maybe one ark is used up each time loop.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ivantod posted:

Firefly, huh? I had a friend once with that name. He used to fart a lot...

someone has weird friends

also I don't know if I've mentioned Dogy Figh as an excellent name but it really is. my brain keeps trying to parse it as "Dogy Fish," though.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

curiousCat posted:

I really hate how those bell crickets look lol
Can't possibly imagine why! :v:

rannum posted:

I like the "undiscovered" species gimmick where you get to name them. Do they happen to "stick" across files or is it just for the one?
I'm pretty sure it does not persist across save files.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Binged the thread over yesterday, and I can firmly say I have never had quite so many "....huh, well....that was....unexpected." moments from any other game. I'd heard about the game before, and that it was a bit of a ride, but I was not prepared for how much of one.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Binged the thread over yesterday, and I can firmly say I have never had quite so many "....huh, well....that was....unexpected." moments from any other game. I'd heard about the game before, and that it was a bit of a ride, but I was not prepared for how much of one.
It just keeps going. :allears:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Never interrupt me when I'm eating a banana.
                    -- Ryan Stiles

Last time, Linda and Ken explored the underground a bit more, finding there a whole bunch of arks that seem to be ready to be put to use! They also went looking for poop, so that they could revitalise the cherry trees in Eterna (which they succeeded in, by the way). They also went to Flora Jam, with the goal of trying to obtain the fresh blood fruit, but so far the situation on that is unclear.

The start of today's episode finds us at the beginning of Winter 1995. There is now 3.5 years left and we still have 45 species to collect. With that in mind, after a couple of "plot" focused episodes, this one is going to largely about making a bit of a push with hunting/collecting. But don't worry, we'll tackle our sidequests, too!

As mentioned, last time we managed to obtain in Flora Jam some "blue" fruit. If we check our inventory right now...

...we can find out that it has actually matured into a "fresh blood fruit", which is exactly what we need. As you maybe know, in some languages (definitely including Japanese), there is sometimes a bit of confusion between blue and green colour, so this was probably meant to be a "green" fruit which then matures into the one we need. In any case, without Linda's ability to "identify plants" (which we obtained a couple of episodes ago), the inventory would not identify the fruit clearly and you'd be out of luck with finishing this quest. But we've done all we needed to, so we're good.

Incidentally, there is another way to obtain the fresh blood fruit, and that's by simply dismantling the male stag beetle. It kind of makes sense, since it's been hinted that it's something they like to eat, so it's logical that you'd find it by dismantling.

This is also the reason why I wanted last time to catch more than one male stag beetle. I've read in a couple of places that there might be a bug in the game where sometimes the blue fruit doesn't change into the fresh blood fruit in your inventory after a couple of seasons. So I figured better to have a backup in case I have to obtain it by dismantling. But in the end it wasn't needed.

But before we head back to Rose Garden, let's first take care of something else.

This teleporter here...

...leads over to Marblepolis.

You might also recall from way way back, that moving a stone block there will open this "secret" staircase.

It ultimately leads to the next place where we can use our next pair of rings!

Ken absorbed the power of Ziade!

Maximum HP +2, Maximum BP +5, Attack Power +4, Defence +7, Speed +3

In addition to that, Ken also receives an ability, "The Wind of Zia", which is also a strong attack against all enemies.

Linda will use her ring too, of course.

Linda absorbed the power of Zia!

Maximum HP +5, Maximum BP +3, Attack Power +8, Defence +2, Speed +6

She gets the ability, "The Flame of Zia", which greatly increases the party's attack power!

And this makes so far three pairs of rings. We have one more to do, but we are missing one of the two rings still!

Also, here's where our characters are right now stat-wise:

As always, overleveling is not really a thing you want to do in this game, so we just take the levels naturally as they come, but I've definitely not been going out to grind as it... simply isn't necessary in this game!

With this done, let's make our way to Rose Garden.

Obviously, we've come here to talk to Kevin.

That's the fresh blood fruit! Thank you, older bro!

Ken hands over the fresh blood fruit to Kevin.

The insect comes out from under the bed!

Have some of this! It will make you feel better!

He turns back to Ken and Linda...

Uh, yeah... I talked it over with mum and we decided that I will ask the older bro to take care of Poro-poro...
Poro-poro, please go to the brother here.

The insect runs away into the corner!

It's no use, Poro-poro... you can't come with us. I'm sorry, but I'm just a kid and don't have the power to help you... I'm really sorry.

The insect finally comes over to Ken.

Take care of Poro-poro, big brother!

Ken put Poro-poro in his TransCargo backpack.

Bye-bye Poro-poro!

As always, we can get just a bit of extra dialogue from the "quest giver":

Please find a good and strong mate for Poro-poro.

No problem on that, we already have one.

And with this, we've finished this quest. Our reward is simply the fact that we've obtained a female stag beetle, for which there is absolutely no other way to get it and also of course this is the only one in the entire game, so try not to sell it or dismantle it or whatever.

For now, it's time for some hunting. There are definitely still some animal species on the surface that we need to pick up, so let's make some progress on that. For that...

...we'll head outside of Battle Park.

More or less directly south is this cave, called Uruma. (Just ignore the eagles flying around!)

Inside there is one new species which is a bit rare to be found roaming around, but you can definitely trigger an ambush when camping overnight. When I make camp, we get one of those random comments from Linda!

Whenever I feel like I am going to lose my mind over all this, I just look at you and calm down. So Ken is all I need to stay upbeat all the time!

Ok, sure. But anyway, our ambush is time caused by these guys:

Sunfish!

They are kind of a bit hard to run into by just walking around, so you might want to try your luck in getting ambushed overnight rather. Somehow, they have no special abilities at all, and simply rely on normal attacks and the large HP pool! I have no explanation for this.

A bit further into the cave...

...there is one more place where we want to trigger the ambush.

These are stingrays!

Unlike our previous encounter, these guys actually have some powerful physical attack abilities, which is a bit surprising.

And here is their slightly more insane PC Engine version:

One other species we can find here in the cave is...

...the tigers! As before, females are a bit rare so you might have to try a few times until one spawns!

And that's that for here!

As we return to the ark, it is now Spring 1996. As a reminder, we have until Summer 1999 to finish everything. So it does seem that we might want to pick up the pace just a little bit--well, that's pretty much what we're doing today, so...

Let's head into Hardia.

If you talk to this lady here, you kind of get a gentle nudge to hurry up!

There is only 3 years and one season left, you know! So how's it going? Do you think you'll make it?

Well, we better! New year means of course new calendar, so let's go and have a look.

The year might be new, but we've definitely already seen this one.

Our next stop is again Ozport, because people there again have various interesting things to say!

We're definitely rapidly approaching the "GOODBYE NEOKENYA" part, though.

First, this person in the park.

The bible says that when Noah got off the ark, god gave them the promised rainbow in the new land. You will find a rainbow too, I'm sure! Until then, best of luck.

Or it might be just the rainbow coloured teleportation beam that gave Ozport its name?

This woman in the teleport waiting area...

I will be moving to Yuri, Canamel system. I hear that they have 8:2 male to female ratio there! I'm practically in heaven!

Teleport technician.

The Escape Project is going pretty much as planned, so you don't need to worry about it. You just focues on your work and keep it up. It looks like it's going well for you!

We'll take the teleporter up to the satellite and talk to a couple more people.

Like this woman here.

I don't know how many tens of thousands of years it will be, but someone from my bloodline will definitely stand on this planet again! And when we do, even if the Grim Reaper comes back, this time we won't lose! We will win! Don't underestimate the humans!

A pretty blatant hint at just what it is that might be going on here!

Talking to the lady at the computer, we can get another message from someone who left.

Someone who departed, left you a message! Would you like to hear it?
[ Yes. ] / No.
"About Miss Maki... In th end it wasn't either Yamada or Paul that she ended up with. It was the manga artist named Nishimori."

Manga is not really my thing, so I have no idea what this might be a reference to. But if someone knows, feel free to post!

Next...

...we head again to just outside of Dogy Figh.

A bit northeast, in the lake, there is another one of these.

Here we can use the blue beastman statue to activate the teleporter.

Of course, it takes us underground...

...this time to this area in the southwest.

Some new kinds of animals here!

For example these bisons.

So other than strong physical attacks, not too much more to say about them really. They do go extinct eventually, but not before 1997 or so, so you do have plenty of time to catch them. I don't think there are any hints about this in the game--generally NPCs don't really talk much about species which are only found in the underground, which makes sense.

Also... check out this original PC Engine screenshot!

Really, what can one even say here?

In actuality, what we came here for is this cave.

This place is called Pteranodon Terrace, and it's a bit uniquely structured. But for now, let's just head through the opening. Also, you might already be able to guess why we came here.

Once inside, it's a bit more like a normal cave.

There's a chest here, contining the golden nugget.

As for animals, there are definitely a few new species here. In fact there is one species which is a bit tricky to find, so it's best to let yourself get ambushed.

Before the ambush, we get another dialogue with Linda.

If it hadn't been for the ark, do you think you would still have ended up marrying me?
[ Probably. ] / No sure.
To be honest, I was expecting that you would end up on the ark with me. But I wasn't sure...
So now, I'm always really happy that I married you. Because now even if I have a hard time, I can find at least one happy thing.

So this is kind of a bit similar to the last one, actually.

Anyway, back to our ambush. It's...

...the chameleons!

Unlike other animals, they are entirely invisible in the world and as you walk around you might simply accidentally trigger a battle with them without realising. But that's annoying, so just try to get ambushed by them instead.

Also, today we seem to have some of the truly weirdest looks from the original version. So here are the chameleons:

Nevertheless, we must continue on!

In this chest is a swallowtail folding fan, a weapon. It's not better than what we already have. Also, we'll be meeting a whole bunch of swallowtails in just a few minutes!

Here's our next species on today's list! I hope you're ready.

Because spiders.

Eventually...

...we make our way back out. If we check out the map...

...we can see that this whole place is a series of layered terraces. Our goal is of course to reach the very top, where something special awaits!

Continuing through the cave...

...we reach the next level.

Back inside the cave...

...try not to fall into the hole there.

A somewhat precariously positioned chest! It contains a pteranodon hat, a piece of equpment.

I give it to Linda, for a small increase in defence.

Soon...

...we're back outside again.

And also one level higher again!

We find another chest! In this one is a huge gold nugget. It can be sold for 88,000 G, so not too bad!

Back outside...

...and one more level higher. We're almost there!

Before we head back inside, let's have a look at this imposing fellow!

Ah! Finally some actual pteranodons! Have you noticed that, unlike above ground, here there are deifinitely existing some pre-historic species that are long extinct on our Earth? Isn't that interesting.

Sometimes they will just "hover" above you. In that case you might want to use Linda's ability to imitate animal calls to make them come to you.

They mostly looked the same in the original version, so nothing to see on that aspect. However, we might remember at this point that we still have an outstanding task to find some pteranodon eggs. Maybe around here somewhere?

Back inside, another one rather precariously positioned chest... but this one doesn't even have an item! It just triggers a battle with spiders. Thanks, game!

So many spiders here. It's interesting that it took us until Scenario C to finally see some actual spiders, but well here we are.

Going one more level up...

Here we can find also some butterflies.

These are, very specifically, swallowtails. In this case it makes sense to be specific, since there are actually other kinds of butterflies in the game.

Since we're on a roll today, let's continue with PC Engine weirdness:

After this, we can finally...

...exit on the top level of this terrace! And... well, what do I see here. Could it be, some pteranodon eggs? (Answer: yes)

This is what we came here for, really. So now we can leave. Instead of making your way all the way down floor by floor, you can simply fall down if you walk over the edge of the terrace.

Here we are, and mostly we can leave now. But, before that... there is just one other item to be found here. And it's hidden a bit sneakily.

If you walk all the way to the eastern corner of this area...

...literally here in the corner, there is a chest!

Sure, let's make a collection of these, why the heck not! Anyway, NOW we have everything we came here to find. Since we have obtained the pteranodon egg, I guess it's time to go and bring it over to Bronco in Battle Park. So let's do that.

We'll go straight to the farm and into the basement.

As always, Bronco is down here. Let's remember that he's promised us a pair of giraffes out of his cold storage as a reward for bringing him the egg.

Oh! That egg! That's a... pteranodon egg! Let me take it quickly from you!

Ken has a huge egg taken away from him!

To tell you the truth, I had a hunch you would be coming back soon, so I already started to defrost the giraffes... But I set the temperature wrong and so I ended up boiling them.
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, all right?
I know that just saying sorry is not enough, so how about I make you a suggestion?
There's a beastian legend about a "ribbon flower", which can make even the corpses dance. I would like you to go and find it. If you have it, even a boiled giraffe would again hop skip and jump! I have just a bit of confidence that the legent must be true!

Well, that's not ideal, but what can you do. Now we have to go and find a "ribbon flower". I guess this must be the thing the guy at the morgue was talking about how the corpses disapper by walking out.

By the way, Louise is busy cooking...

I should better add here a bay leaf, some black pepper, saffron, and garlic as well...

Before continuing our quest, I stop by Hardia to sell some of those "sellable" items we've been getting lately, but...

...in the first shop I go into, the shopkeeper seems to have already left the planet! This might become a problem soon.

After exiting Hardia, it's now already Summer 1996!

Back to the flower, well, we have one obvious flower to check out to begin with...

...the one we left in the mansion in Eterna.

Well that was kind of easy. When you know where to look, anyway. Although regardless, it seems like an obvious place to check, provided you used the seed pouch there already. Let's bring this back to Battle Park!

W-what! You managed to find a ribbon flower! I really didn't think it actually existed! I was even talking to my wife about possibly having a bit of the boiled giraffe for dinner tonight...
Hmm.... well, I guess I did promise you, so nothing can be done. Here, give me your ribbon flower; don't worry, I won't eat it.

Ken handed over the ribbon flower.

All right...
......?
......!?
H-how! They've really come back to life!

With this Ken obtains in his TransCargo backpack one of each male and female giraffe! But I said we won't be making use of gifts in this scenario unless there is no other way (such as with female stag beetle, you can only get it from that quest). So we will catch the giraffes ourselves later.

But still... I wonder what a boiled giraffe would have tasted like...
With some ponzu sauce... No, with butter... No, no, with mustard! I'm so curious, I could practically die of curiosity!

Well, no giraffe for you tonight, sorry.

Louise has some final words for us as we leave...

If you guys ever eat a boiled giraffe somewhere... can you please let me know what it tastes like?

Well, all right.

With this, we have now in fact finished all the quests in this scenario. Therefore, all that's left is to finish exploring and capturing and of course to try out a few optional activities as we go. Yeah, it kind of sneaked up on us, but actually we are very close to the end of Scenario C at this point!

So, to continue we'll head over to Nebul, the city of illegal trade!

First, we'll stop by the animal dismantler and dismantle the female giraffe we just got!

I found the crown of N'Deen!

It's one of those "you just have to know" kinds of situation, I suppose. If you play the game without a guide it really expects you to try absolutely everything. Otherwise you will miss stuff.

Then we stop by the animal smuggler. As mentioned, quite a few species from the underground are considered class A, so this is the only place you can sell them. We end up with just over 1 million G in our pocket after the transaction.

Next, we'll disturb this person here in her hotel room in Nebul.

They say the humankind will go extinct in 20,000 years. I guess that's not a bad price for using the entire universe on credit without paying all this time. And besides, in the whole long 20,000 years, I'm sure we'll find many more ways to do so.

We'll continue by taking the southeastern exit from Nebul.

As you might recall, this takes us to that little otherwise inaccessible patch of land.

There we can find rhinos...

...and impalas.

On the eastern side is one entrance to Daicave. We'll go inside.

Although we've already caught enough of them for the ark, I will catch one more wolf here. You'll see why in a second.

I'll skip the details of the trip, but we came here to access this wide area where there are lots of blue flowers. Some of which are actually peacocks in disguise.

We find them quickly!

Here is also a chest, containing another beastman necklace.

So, now then. The reason I caught a wolf is because I want to use it in dog fights. The reason to use a wolf rather than a dog is because they have better stats overall. First, Linda has to use her ability to train the wolf.

Then we can name the wolf. Before I run out of names, this wolf is going to be named Natsu (=summer). Well, I only said I'm never going to name a dog "Summer". I said nothing about the wolves!

Then the wolf simply becomes a member of our party. It's the one highlighted at the top, it has a "W" marker to indicate that it's a wolf. However, a Lv. 15 wolf still stands no chance. So we need to level it up some more... oh, say to about level 40.

So I guess it's off to the grind?

No. You NEVER need to grind in this game, not even for this. There is a shortcut for this, too. Let's head over to... uh, Hospico!?

Over here is the dog shop, like in many towns, but this one is special...

...because it also has this guy here. He is the dog trainer!

Here you have a couple of options:
- Improvement of physical strength (3 levels up)
- Personality correction
- Acquire special skills

So the first option is a bit self explanatory. You pay the given amount and your dog/wolf/etc. gains 3 levels; each subsequent level gain costs more money than the last. The only problem is that while your animal is being trained, you can hear the somewhat unsavory sounds of a whip being cracked and animals whining/crying. So the methods used to train the animals may not be the most legal ones.

The second option allows you to choose in what direction to develop the stats of your animal as it levels up. The choices are:
- Adaptable (well balanced)
- Brave and daring (aggressive)
- Selfless (protect the owner)
- Calm and collected (not prone to injury)

Probably a good option for dog fights is the last one as you will have to do many battles in a row with no way to heal in between. So you might want to upgrade the defence of your animal in particular.

The third option allows you to teach your animal a few special abilities that they will use in battle. Which abilities they can learn, depends on the species. As we saw already as your "hunting dogs" you can use dogs, wolves, dolphins, eagles and two other species we haven't yet seen--as such the abilities which they can learn will differ.

And so in the end, here are the stats of our wolf Natsu, after changing to "brave and daring" character and levelling up to 39. The three stats on the right side are attack/defence/speed. With this we should be ready to participate in a dog fight. Although, not today.

What is today, though, is Autumn 1996. Let's do a couple more quick things before we finish!

First of all, a bit north of Ozport is one more "teleporter ruin".

Here we can use the gold beastman statue to activate it.

As usual, it takes us to the underground...

...to this tiny isolated area in the northeast corner of the map! We'll explore this later, but for now let's head back again to Battle Park.

Here, as always, we can participate in fights against other hunters.

Come over! Show your limitless power in the third ring against the most powerful creatures ever!

Of course there are three rings, divided by strength and the enemies here are the strongest. The game also limits you and doesn't let you participate in lower tiers when you're overlevelled. But the third ring is still open to us, so let's give it a try. You have to pay the participation fee, but you get it back when you win.

And then you get into a fight like this one, with a hunter and one or more of their animals. The hunters will be a bit higher level, but we are definitely in a position where we can handle it. You can also use your special abilities gained from those rings if you want, but it really isn't even necessary to be honest.

Once you win you get your reward in money and can keep going to stronger opponents.

Next is the second round... If you fold here, at least you won't be killed! Do you want to continue?
[ Continue. ] / Fold.
Well then, as you wish. READY GO!!

And so it continues.

After you win 8 rounds, you become the champion!

The champion is decided! Team Ken wins 128,000 G! The total prize money won is 255,000G! In addition, the mayor of Battle Park will present you with the Champion's Belt!

So you get a fair chunk of change, and also the champion's belt item. We've already found a few of these lying about in chests. They simply sell for 10,000 G to that dude in the tent, here in Battle Park.

This guy here. As I've mentioned before, he only has a certain probability of being present (I think it's 1/4), but it certainly seems like he's never there. So I take this chance finally to sell all those accumulated champion's belts and free up spaces in my inventory! For participating in lower tier rings, you also get a lower tier reward, such as a champion's medal. It simply sells for less money.

So this is just a fun activity you can do to earn some cash. It has no influence on the capturing process itself.

All right, to finish for today, let's go over to the ark.

We've done a fair bit of hunting today, so we should hand in what we have!

We find that our total is currently at 87 out of 120. It does mean that we still have 33 species left to find, but still it feels like we've finally made a bit of a push to get there!

We've managed to tick off a few items today! Apart from finishing all quests, we've also managed to finish using all beastman statues of different colours to activate the teleporters. I guess from here on we'll be mostly removing the entries from this list rather than adding. I also want to make a note that the presence of an item on this list doesn't necessarily mean that there's an answer for it in the game. At least not a direct one. So bear that in mind.
  • Visit the lady on Ozsat in 1999 to hear the rest of her story.
  • Investigate the story about a legendary animal which only appears during heavy blizzards in the north.
  • Find a place where female tree frogs can be found.
  • Figure out how to capture aye-ayes. Apparently they can disguise themselves as humans.
  • Explore the "untrodden wilds".
  • Explore more the "pyramids" in the underground.
  • Investigate more about who built the management system of the planet.
  • Investigate what happened in Garex in the south and what was the cause of the explosion which destroyed the place.
  • Find what the "crowns" are for and where they may be used.
  • Participate in dog fights (Dogy Figh).
  • Visit the auction room (for fun).

Today, some animal design sketches. It contains: buffalo, rabbit and peacock. Clearly these are some in-development drawings as the final design of the buffalo didn't end up quite like to one here (check last episode).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I’m kind of surprised that that’s it for quests, I’d have expected another one or two. Then again, it’s not like you lack for stuff to fill your limited time left.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I think the joke behind sunfish is that they're popularly perceived to do absolutely nothing, just drift around lazily, and are supposedly very easy to catch.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Wow! That's it for quests huh? Gosh, it is a lot of game though

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Do you get anything special for dismantling female stag beetle or is just what you would get from the males?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

WarpedLichen posted:

Do you get anything special for dismantling female stag beetle or is just what you would get from the males?

"With this stag beetle's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created."

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

WarpedLichen posted:

You don't get anything special. If you dismantle the female stag beetle you get either some carrion or you get a black flower, which is an item that restores a small amount of HP. Considering also that the female stag beetle sells for only a few hundred G, literally the only useful thing you can do with it is to register it in the ark. Luckily the game is not so cruel to make you choose between a good item and a full 120 species completion!

Mister Olympus posted:

I think the joke behind sunfish is that they're popularly perceived to do absolutely nothing, just drift around lazily, and are supposedly very easy to catch.
Huh, I didn't know that, but it definitely explains why they have no abilities at all. In addition to that, when you're actually fighting them they are super slow and will pretty much not even get a turn in at all before you defeat them.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I’m kind of surprised that that’s it for quests, I’d have expected another one or two. Then again, it’s not like you lack for stuff to fill your limited time left.
To be fair, if you were playing this game blindly for real, probably things would get a bit more distributed out over the course of the game since you wouldn't immediately know where to find what. But in an LP like this, you inevitably end with a situation that you have to spend a couple of episodes mainly focused on hunting at some point. By my count probably we have 2 or 3 episodes left until the end of Scenario C, so we're pretty close to the end actually.

Einander posted:

"With this stag beetle's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created."
Luckily this is neither a From Software nor a Yoko Taro game, so we're safe on this one! :v:

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Yeah, sunfish are the gentle giant idiots of the sea. They are completely unaggressive and without any natural defenses. There's a famous picture of a sunfish with half it's head missing after a shark attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbgC-0f_aP4

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Ah, that amazing feeling when you're trying to record the gameplay for the upcoming updates for your Linda Cube LP, but it turns out that the vendor you ABSOLUTELY NEED* has decided to close up shop and leave the planet a bit sooner than expected...

The worst thing is, she's literally still in the shop, but when you try to talk to her, she just casually tells you "ごめん、うちもそろそろ店じまいしよう思ってて。"** and that's it. You can't do anything with her any more even though she's still there!

Well, that's ok. I am paranoid about keeping the save states at each season change, so I can easily go back and do things in a different order to accomodate this situation. I mean it's just a couple of hours i have to re-record. No big deal. The seams in the final product when I stich everything back together will be hardly even visible. :v:

On a serious note: If you ever play this game yourself, just remember that around the beginning of 1997 the situation with vendors/shopkeepers leaving the planet starts to get REALLY dodgy.

* "ABSOLUTELY NEED" = For all practical purposes, you can't collect all 120 species without using her services this one time.
** "Sorry, I'm thinking of closing down the business soon."

ivantod fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 17, 2022

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Seeing the planet gradually depopulate feels sad.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what does she tell you for those of us too lazy to pull up Google translate?

Google translate seems to give a solid translation, but goons are notoriously lazy.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Randalor posted:

So what does she tell you for those of us too lazy to pull up Google translate?

Google translate seems to give a solid translation, but goons are notoriously lazy.

The translation is in the second footnote in my post:

ivantod posted:

** "Sorry, I'm thinking of closing down the business soon."

On the other topic:

Mzbundifund posted:

Seeing the planet gradually depopulate feels sad.

Yeah, they totally nailed this. As you're playing the game eventually (generally around 1997 or so) you realise that places have become pretty empty and there are almost no people around any more except the last few vendors/shopkeepers. It's quite an odd/sad feeling. At least you know that the people have simply left to continue their lives elsewhere mostly.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ivantod posted:

Yeah, they totally nailed this. As you're playing the game eventually (generally around 1997 or so) you realise that places have become pretty empty and there are almost no people around any more except the last few vendors/shopkeepers. It's quite an odd/sad feeling. At least you know that the people have simply left to continue their lives elsewhere mostly.

It's crazy how they manage to balance the weird slapstick humor and serious undertones (and also overtones) without either becoming overbearing.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

ivantod posted:

Well, that's ok. I am paranoid about keeping the save states at each season change, so I can easily go back and do things in a different order to accomodate this situation. I mean it's just a couple of hours i have to re-record. No big deal. The seams in the final product when I stich everything back together will be hardly even visible. :v:

Mostly I'm just glad you prepared for this- how long does Scenario C take, from beginning to end?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Sum Gai posted:

Mostly I'm just glad you prepared for this- how long does Scenario C take, from beginning to end?

If you play normally talking to everybody and going at normal speed just capturing everything like I'm doing, it's taken probably about 12h so far. But this is with knowing exactly where what is and how to deal with the quests and everything so it would probably take a bit longer otherwise.

However, this game is moderately popular for speedrunning in Japan, and I've seen speedrunners do Scenario C in about 2.5-3h--but this is with collecting only 100 species (instead of full 120), therefore you are able to entirely ignore all the quests and also with using the RNG manipulation in order to make certain animals that are harder to capture to appear at the animal sellers or auction house. Like many games from this period, it appears Linda³ also seems to use the number of steps your character makes as a sort of RNG seed. So by making very particular movements when entering a room you can manipulate what is available for auction/sale (or even trigger a particular animal to appear in the world) and so on.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Alright- still frustrating to find out you missed something in the endgame, but that's a much more reasonable length than I was expecting, especially compared to a lot of JRPGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ivantod posted:

The translation is in the second footnote in my post:

On the other topic:

I wonder if that line was something changed while they were working on the game (or unchanged while they changed her store). Why say "I'm thinking of closing" when you've already closed up shop? Or does she start saying that earlier on, and they forgot to change the dialogue after she closed up shop (maybe to something like "Sorry, I'm closed. I'm just packing up"?)

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 18, 2022