Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Didn't they say they had another drill? And didn't big spinny have a second MSAM looking thing in the first episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

in any sane and just world, helios would be sued into oblivion

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

fischtick posted:

Lol that they’re on a 3 year coed mission and nobody has birth control. Maybe they did and Ed’s gonna be space grandpa to a miracle space baby whose Midichlorian count is off the charts.

Make this an Expanse prequel series and Kelly's kid is the first Duster.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Belter

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
In an earlier season 3 episode they showed a portrait of a woman on the wall in the White House that looks like it was from the 1800s you can see it again in the background in some of the Oval Office scenes in the latest episode. I was wondering who that is supposed to be? Are they implying this timeline was altered much earlier with a woman president way back?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Noob Saibot posted:

In an earlier season 3 episode they showed a portrait of a woman on the wall in the White House that looks like it was from the 1800s you can see it again in the background in some of the Oval Office scenes in the latest episode. I was wondering who that is supposed to be? Are they implying this timeline was altered much earlier with a woman president way back?

It was Eleanor Roosevelt, who was prob also gay

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

If they use an Omega Speedmaster to time any part of it, their timeline will have a whole slew of special edition watches.

"First Abortion in Space" edition? I could see that. Let's get the company that did this custom watch for goons to make another one

Mustache Ride posted:

Didn't they say they had another drill? And didn't big spinny have a second MSAM looking thing in the first episode?

Seems like that would be a bit of an overkill for an abortion

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Drop the drill from space. Put a propeller on it. Danny spins it up and redoes the thing that made the first drill explode, only this time it shoots into the air and carries everyone to safety.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Did I miss a scene where they showed how the doctor and the other Russian dude know about the pregnancy, when Kelly doesn't even apparently suspect it? Did she have to give her urine for something, was she throwing up which 100% of the time on TV means pregnancy, ANYTHING? Does this bother anyone else?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

boquiabierta posted:

Did I miss a scene where they showed how the doctor and the other Russian dude know about the pregnancy, when Kelly doesn't even apparently suspect it? Did she have to give her urine for something, was she throwing up which 100% of the time on TV means pregnancy, ANYTHING? Does this bother anyone else?

They did a blood test to check if there would be any issues with her doing the blood transplant when they performed surgery on the guy, since she was the only one who was the same blood type. Presumably that's when the doctor figured out she was pregnant.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

^^ still an annoying explanation though. He would’ve had to be checking specifically for pregnancy. It wouldn’t just show up when he’s testing for something else.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Right, but he's an Evil Russian Communist, who knows she was bumping uglies with a Comrade, so of course he'd run that test. Get with the program :commissar:

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

boquiabierta posted:

^^ still an annoying explanation though. He would’ve had to be checking specifically for pregnancy. It wouldn’t just show up when he’s testing for something else.

They knew they were fuckin', and the Soviets are being shown to work *very* hard to get any leverage that they can, so it's not surprising they'd check.

They probably checked for *everything* they possibly could and have "Not the genetic child of Ed" stashed in the Kremlin archive just in case they ever need to do a blackmail.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 1, 2022

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ok just saying would nasa consider telling a mars mission to take birth control pills during the mission just in case? Seems like a stretch for some extra undeserved drama.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

BooDooBoo posted:

They probably checked for *everything* they possibly could and have "Not the genetic child of Ed" stashed in the Kremlin archive just in case they ever need to do a blackmail.

I'm probably misunderstanding you, but the idea of a scene where the Soviets try to blackmail Ed with the revelation that his adopted daughter isn't genetically related to him appeals to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CaptainCaveman posted:

I'm probably misunderstanding you, but the idea of a scene where the Soviets try to blackmail Ed with the revelation that his adopted daughter isn't genetically related to him appeals to me.

"She's not even your child."
"Yeah, she's Vietnamese, you commie moron."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

boquiabierta posted:

When they needed to test her blood, one of the Helios people says they have a blood scanner. I'm guessing it also checks for pregnancy on default settings.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I thought the scene where doctor decides he needs to drill a hole in Russian dude’s head to be kinda nuts. Like, my first thought was he got a concussion. I don’t know how you diagnose someone with brain pressure stuff just by looking at them.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I knew as soon as the show made a point that he popped a couple of aspirin, a blood thinner, that he was a dead man

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder if the baby is born in space after Ellen leaves the Presidency, would alt right VP try to deny the baby citizenship?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I wonder if the baby is born in space after Ellen leaves the Presidency, would alt right VP try to deny the baby citizenship?

Not legally possible. Kelly is an unmarried American citizen, which means her baby is an American citizen too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Not legally possible. Kelly is an unmarried American citizen, which means her baby is an American citizen too.

Fair point. I was thinking the alt right guy could lead the charge on encouraging a terrible amendment be created/passed. I guess it would be impossible for an amendment to happen that fast.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

BooDooBoo posted:

They knew they were fuckin', and the Soviets are being shown to work *very* hard to get any leverage that they can

Ok yeah makes sense, thanks for giving me a plausible explanation

Vegetable posted:

I thought the scene where doctor decides he needs to drill a hole in Russian dude’s head to be kinda nuts. Like, my first thought was he got a concussion. I don’t know how you diagnose someone with brain pressure stuff just by looking at them.

It was a subdural hematoma, wasn’t it? You can diagnose that from the symptoms he had and the likeliness of having suffered blunt force trauma to the head.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

Marriage doesn't matter either. If one parent is an American citizen, the kid is. The only way for the kid not to be is if the American parent gave up US citizenship prior to the birth.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is the kid a USSR citizen also?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

I guess it depends on if they do birthright citizenship

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

What about Martian citizenship?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Season finale will be a legal battle over who has control over the only natural-born citizen of Mars.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

withak posted:

I dunno how the USSR handled citizenship. Also, if your parents are from different countries they have to register you and claim citizenship. Since the Russian dude is toast I don't imagine Kelly is going to be filing with the Soviet embassy for a USSR passport for Marskid.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I guess it depends on if they do birthright citizenship

Soviet nationality law changed a lot over the years and was not always consistently applied, but by the 80s, the rule was, generally, birthright citizenship if both parents are already USSR citizens, and birthright citizenship if and only if both parents agree for situations where one is a Soviet citizen and the other isn't. I'm not sure how that would work in situations where one parent is dead.

It would also require determining whether or not the dad was legally considered to be residing 'outside of the USSR' at the time, I think; depending on interpretation, if the Soviets consider him to have still technically been living in the USSR, the kid might automatically get Soviet citizenship

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 1, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It will be interesting to see if the USSR demands to have the baby because the father was a soviet citizen, so that means the baby is a soviet citizen and if the Americans kidnap a soviet citizen, there will be war or whatever. By American laws, it's Kelly's baby, so it's American, and American laws tend to favor the mother in cases of deciding who gets custody of a kid. But the USSR could pass some dumb law that says if the father dies before the baby is born, the baby automatically becomes property of the state.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This baby subplot is a great idea and I hope it doesn’t meaningfully intersect with whatever crap they’re leading to with the Dan Stevens subplot.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Really curious to if there is a big action/space set piece in the last two episodes/what it could be. I don't see how this season could top the end of last season.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We've seen the soviet doc save Ed and drill a hole in some guy's head to no effect. Helios has a huge staff and well-stocked drug supplies, but did they actually bring an MD? As far as I can tell nobody from NASA is primarily an MD. Did they just figure nothing bad was going to happen for 2-3 years?

Kelly probably can't evacuate to the Helios ship now because all them Gs are probably bad for a baby. Even if she got there, they can't take her home because the baby probably can't handle the Gs to get back to earth. She (and the Soviet doc, I presume) are stuck on Mars for years unless she gets an abortion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The doctor might be up on the Phoenix.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

The doctor might be up on the Phoenix.

This seems most likely to me. I can't imagine they didn't bring one, and there was the discussion of sending Danny back up to the Phoenix for medical treatment. Current NASA missions don't (though there are MD astronauts), but everyone gets medical training and the circumstances are different since you can get back to Earth relatively easily + real time communication with a doctor on the ground to walk you through things if needed. Mars you're going to need a doctor locally.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

CaptainCaveman posted:

You understood me perfectly.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

BooDooBoo posted:

You understood me perfectly.

Cojawfee posted:

"She's not even your child."
"Yeah, she's Vietnamese, you commie moron."

I’ll now be sad when this doesn’t happen.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Antarctica: Hey man, if you want to spend 4 months here that's cool, but you're probably gonna have to get your wisdom teeth taken out. Some of you on medical staff need to have your appendix removed on account of what happened to that one Soviet guy back in the 60s. Also, here's some intensive training on ectopic pregnancies and other horrible stuff that can happen, even in just a few months.

Mars: 2 years rawdoggin' in 0.4g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
NASA: "The astronauts will simply practice abstinence."