Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Do you think when they typed 'when China rattles sabers it seems rational for Taiwan to rattle its shields' they sat back all satisfied with that clever little bit of wisdom? That feels like a line they workshopped a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
they strained on a toilet bowl for an hour then hopped off and ran off to show the people like a toddler

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Taiwan's armed forces are practically a baby compared to the PLA.

what about tjhe Taliban vs USA? Taiwan doesn't have to win the mainland to get its objectives, just defend a mountainous island, not that hard honestly

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Antonymous posted:

what about tjhe Taliban vs USA? Taiwan doesn't have to win the mainland to get its objectives, just defend a mountainous island, not that hard honestly

Taiwan ain't that big and China isn't across the pacific from it.

In addition there are no land borders in which they can easily resupply. By the time time Taiwanese resistence would need to retreat to the mountains the fights already over except for the cleanup.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Jul 31, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I don't think there's any population from any "first world" country that's capable of the same sort of hardships the Taliban had to endure.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't think there's any population from any "first world" country that's capable of the same sort of hardships the Taliban had to endure.

Obviously.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Antonymous posted:

taiwan imports like 98% of its energy needs from abroad, so china doesn't even need to land a single soldier on the island, just blow all the airports to poo poo and blockade the sea lanes until the lights turn off in a week or two

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the only thing that can bring nancy down now is a poorly programmed boeing plane

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Taiwan is second world. Because it belongs to China, you see.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

republicans must be overjoyed right now, its a win win for them. Nancy doesn't go they get to make fun of biden for being weak and cowardly, she does go and it blows up they get to cheer at nancy being dead.

They can't lose!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Good morning. Sunday morning. :)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cerebral Bore posted:

taiwan imports like 98% of its energy needs from abroad, so china doesn't even need to land a single soldier on the island, just blow all the airports to poo poo and blockade the sea lanes until the lights turn off in a week or two

Do they need to blow up the airports? How much aviation gas do they have anyway?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do they need to blow up the airports? How much aviation gas do they have anyway?

maybe not, but probably good to do just in case some geriactric us politicians start dreaming up some bizarre berlin airlift 2.0 scheme

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

to break an aerial blockade of Taiwan the USM would also have to defeat the PLAN. A missile cruiser can intercept aerial traffic just as easily as ocean traffic.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

can i Ask you about regurgitating russo-fascist talking points! op, i need to make sure mine are fresh

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CoolCab posted:

can i Ask you about regurgitating russo-fascist talking points! op, i need to make sure mine are fresh

Ukraine should negotiate a peace agreement asap.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I check the Berlin airlift, the air corridor was in range of 110 miles. Now in case of Taiwan, the closest commercial airport to Taiwan is probably somewhere in Philippines, about 1000 miles.

I don't know what's the closest military airport. Japan gobbled up a lot of tiny islands in east China sea.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Ukraine should negotiate a peace agreement asap.

Peace = Rashism

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ProletarianPost/status/1553688018040475649
https://twitter.com/ProletarianPost/status/1553688021672738816

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/TripInChina/status/1553716857852481536?s=20&t=GaeDv9LFTM6tc9qp3wxCaw

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

The Rules Based International Order

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Taiwan ain't that big and China isn't across the pacific from it.

In addition there are no land borders in which they can easily resupply. By the time time Taiwanese resistence would need to retreat to the mountains the fights already over except for the cleanup.

How long will it take to capture Taipei? 2 days
Will Tsai be killed? Yes
Total Taiwanese civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Taiwan: 3000 dead
Total military casualties PRC: 15 dead
Will the Taiwanese army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Taiwanese air force fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Tsai launch attacks on Xiamen? Yes
Will Tsai defend attacks on Kinmen? No
Will Tsai sacrifice Taipei and retreat to Tainan? No
Will Penghu make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Japan do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Tsai burn TSMC? Yes
How long will China be occupying Taiwan? Indefinitely
Will the China/Taiwan war catalyze increased prices in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Antonymous posted:

Will Tsai be killed? Yes
Will Tsai burn TSMC? Yes

:discourse:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

do they have an entire detachment of chunky guys?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tom Guycot posted:

republicans must be overjoyed right now, its a win win for them. Nancy doesn't go they get to make fun of biden for being weak and cowardly, she does go and it blows up they get to cheer at nancy being dead.

They can't lose!

maybe she shouldn't play universebrain games like risking WW3 over $100 of fundraising

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Palladium posted:

maybe she shouldn't play universebrain games like risking WW3 over $100 of fundraising

Let's be fair, she could be collecting a MIC kickback too

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

are there exclusively Mongolian units in the PLA? or are they interspersed in the rest of the army? cause if it’s the former, RIP Taiwan/USA

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

R. Mute posted:

do they have an entire detachment of chunky guys?

Mongolians love big bois who can wrassle

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Mongolians really did well with seaborne invasions.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Antonymous posted:

Will Tsai be killed? Yes
Will Tsai burn TSMC? Yes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
trying to look into which other US politicians have visited Taiwan in the past, and I found Alex Azar, Trump's HHS Secretary went there in Aug 2020, followed by an Undersecretary of State, Keith Krach, one month later

Mike Pompeo cancelled his trip, and the US Ambassador the UN also cancelled their trip

a Reuters article mentioned that Azar was the first cabinet-level official to visit Taiwan since 2014, and the highest-ranking official to do so in four decades. Who were those other two?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

The Rules Cringe International Order

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
CNN (but no one else??) are claiming that she’s still going despite Taiwan not being on her itinerary

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/01/politics/nancy-pelosi-taiwan-visit/index.html

(CNN)US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is expected to visit Taiwan as part of her tour of Asia, according to a senior Taiwanese government official and a US official, despite warnings from Biden administration officials, who are worried about China's response to such a high-profile visit.

The stop -- the first for a US House speaker in 25 years -- is not currently on Pelosi's public itinerary and comes at a time when US-China relations are already at a low point.
The Taiwanese official added that she is expected to stay in Taiwan overnight. It is unclear when exactly Pelosi will land in Taipei.
The US official added that defense department officials are working around the clock on monitoring any Chinese movements in the region and securing a plan to keep her safe.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://twitter.com/Dragondescendan/status/1553772815555313664

stephenthinkpad posted:

I check the Berlin airlift, the air corridor was in range of 110 miles. Now in case of Taiwan, the closest commercial airport to Taiwan is probably somewhere in Philippines, about 1000 miles.

I don't know what's the closest military airport. Japan gobbled up a lot of tiny islands in east China sea.

400 miles Taipei to Okinawa; 700 to Manilla; 800 to Busan in South Korea.

Tankbuster posted:

lol wtf? When did we align with the US lol.

For about three seconds while the ink was drying on Quad documents.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It's literally just this racist comic again, but with more coherent chopsticks physics:

MORE coherent?! dang I'm learning all the forbidden chopstick techniques.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

CNN (but no one else??) are claiming that she’s still going despite Taiwan not being on her itinerary

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/01/politics/nancy-pelosi-taiwan-visit/index.html

(CNN)US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is expected to visit Taiwan as part of her tour of Asia, according to a senior Taiwanese government official and a US official, despite warnings from Biden administration officials, who are worried about China's response to such a high-profile visit.

The stop -- the first for a US House speaker in 25 years -- is not currently on Pelosi's public itinerary and comes at a time when US-China relations are already at a low point.
The Taiwanese official added that she is expected to stay in Taiwan overnight. It is unclear when exactly Pelosi will land in Taipei.
The US official added that defense department officials are working around the clock on monitoring any Chinese movements in the region and securing a plan to keep her safe.

can't wait to find out she was just impotently lying to CNN about "strongly intending to visit Taiwan, if the situation allows for it"

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1554063755046432769?s=20&t=AIgdUYbNINmEi4qZIeEJ6g

China's reaction to this is just so hysterical like seriously what is their problem nancy has the right to have lunch with her friends despite the threats of these Chinese communist bullies

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
god loving damnit can't this bitch give it a rest? why do this? why is america always poking the other great powers and getting surprised. why is our empire run by such old fucktards! gently caress man!

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
World War 3 just so this used up senile old hag can boost her semiconductor stock position.

I miss Donald Trump. He would have told the bitch to stay the gently caress out of this.

https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/1554061144519753730?s=20&t=fbGlApVCvBv6kglT3KzcMg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
as was predicted, the phrase "those who play with fire will eventually get burned" is the only thing anyone is picking up from the Biden-Xi readout, and it's being interpreted as China being the threatening bully and aggressor, not the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mirello posted:

god loving damnit can't this bitch give it a rest? why do this? why is america always poking the other great powers and getting surprised. why is our empire run by such old fucktards! gently caress man!

It's because the people who own houses keep re-electing them.