Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I appreciate that we got an unsatisfying ending thats deliberately ambiguous as opposed to an obviously desperate attempt to not get the show canceled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

StashAugustine posted:

I appreciate that we got an unsatisfying ending thats deliberately ambiguous as opposed to an obviously desperate attempt to not get the show canceled

that was still a badass ending for season 2, and i will die on that hill

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I feel like the ending is pretty clear.

Do not mess with Judy at all.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Lol someone put this on reddit

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Consummate Professional posted:

I feel like the ending is pretty clear.

Do not mess with Judy at all.

we don't know who Judy is

or what it is

it just wasn't answered at all

My gf thinks Judy created BOB, but it was clear that the Trinity test created him. He is the personification of the evil that all men are capable of. Maybe Judy is the same for women? Seems like it might be Sarah Palmer, but she isn't even there in the new timeline at the end...

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I found the ending very satisfying and in keeping with the themes of the return. I'm also not surprised that it was unsatisfying to anyone who was frustrated that season 3 wasn't the further adventures of Dale Cooper. I have heard anecdotally that it becomes much less frustrating on rewatch where some people have found it easier to enjoy the journey when they already know the overall shape of it.

I'm watching the last 4 episodes with my friends who haven't seen them yet this weekend so I'll have some more ending opinions then. They've been loving the Dougie stuff so far so it'll be interesting to see how they handle Cooper coming back.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

My gf thinks Judy created BOB, but it was clear that the Trinity test created him.

Not that clear. It appears more likely to me that, to the extent BOB was "created" at all, the Experiment created him (since it's seen spewing him forth along with all the other stuff) and the Trinity test was just what allowed him entrance to the world. The Experiment is a pretty frequent guess for being Judy or at least Judy-aligned, which I agree with and which would put me more on your GF's side than yours.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

we don't know who Judy is

or what it is

it just wasn't answered at all

My gf thinks Judy created BOB, but it was clear that the Trinity test created him. He is the personification of the evil that all men are capable of. Maybe Judy is the same for women? Seems like it might be Sarah Palmer, but she isn't even there in the new timeline at the end...

There is a white humanoid shape vomiting him forth. Trinity definitely prompts his birth as it prompts the giant to send Laura Palmer to Earth, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to see that shape as Judy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My gf and I have been watching the show over the past two months. We just finished season 3. She is distraught that there's no resolution or ending to the show. I keep telling her that there may be another season if Lynch gets the mental energy to move forward with good ideas, but that it also will probably end with a vague ending that you are suppose to interpret for yourself lmbo

She was also super pissy about the Dougie plot being like 16 episodes long and [real] Cooper being back only for two and a half, but I thought it was a great long-con troll by Lynch. What a magnificent bastard.

Episode 8 was some of his best material imho.

I'm still not sure how to coalesce all of the lore into a coherent narrative, but I don't think I'm suppose to be able to do so?

If it helps, Dougie is Dale, but his mind's asleep. He's just as silly and weird as Dale is. Been a little while since I saw the show but the ending comes in two parts. Dale does succeed in saving Laura but Judy grabs her and sends her to the HBO Presents Twin Peaks universe (here it's a straightforward, realistic FBI procedural with the complimentary Mexico filter). I always took the very end is Laura waking up from that nightmare and the reality that imprisoned her collapsing, thus everything turning off and cutting to black. They end up in the Black Lodge again, so I took it that Dale succeeded.

It's weird and open-ended enough that you can draw your own conclusions based off of the visuals and whatnot. Can have some fun in doing that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tarnop posted:

I have heard anecdotally that it becomes much less frustrating on rewatch where some people have found it easier to enjoy the journey when they already know the overall shape of it.

I loved Dougie but it was frustrating every week wondering if THIS was the week Cooper was coming back. On a rewatch, that tension is gone and I found myself just cherishing every moment I now knew I would get to have with Dougie, and actually somewhat dreading the moment when I knew it was finally going to end.... though,"I AM the FBI!" is a hell of a panacea for that pain. :hellyeah:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah that delivery is great. Kyle McLachlan really got to flex almost as hard as Lynch over those 18 hours

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I love how there were zero questions asked about the corpse with a hole in its forehead and brain matter all over the wall in not-Laura's apartment.

I figured that the scream was her realizing who she was and what happened and all the trauma. Her mother asks "Laura, is that you?" I'm not sure when we heard that, or if we ever did during the first two seasons / FWWM. Doesn't seem like something you'd hear when waking up (like "Laura are you up, honey?"). The cut to the "black lodge" or wherever it is with the zany floor and red drapes... it just shows her whisper into Cooper's ear again, but they're both younger??? Sucks we never got to find out what she whispered (or was that in the movie?).

I want to watch it all over again like immediately, but I don't know if I have the energy. I REALLY hope Lynch does a season 4. I want it even more than Raised by Wolves season 3 or the final three Expanse books lol

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Also Sarah Palmer is obviously Judy bc of when she pulled her face off. This was in contrast to Laura pulling her face off and showing a white bright light, showing that she's pure. I don't know what the gently caress The Experiment is but since it morphed into "real" Dianne, I'm leaning toward it not being Judy.

What do y'all make of all of the sick people shown throughout season 3? The kid in that car with the screaming lard lady? That idiot in the jail cell that kept drunkenly repeating everything (who I think is Audrey's Billy)?

Kind of hosed up that it was implied that Cooper's doppleganger raped both Dianne and a very young Audrey. Audrey clearly never grew up and just married another father figure.

edit: and when did Cooper "cross over" into the new reality? I think it was when he fell asleep after letting Dianne take her power back during the sex scene.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I don't know what the gently caress The Experiment is but since it morphed into "real" Dianne, I'm leaning toward it not being Judy.

That's not the Experiment, that's Naido. There's no strong relation between the two that I recall.

edit: and when did Cooper "cross over" into the new reality? I think it was when he fell asleep after letting Dianne take her power back during the sex scene.

I think it's pretty specifically before that, literally the point right after Cooper says "once we cross, it could all be different." He drives a bit forward, suddenly it's night instead of day and their demeanors have changed, they've crossed.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Sucks we never got to find out what she whispered (or was that in the movie?).

Wasn't it something like "My father killed me?" We know she tells him who killed her, I'm sure we hear it at some point.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

Wasn't it something like "My father killed me?" We know she tells him who killed her, I'm sure we hear it at some point.

Oh, yeah, we hear it in S2E9, after the waiter tells Leland "that gum you like is going to come back in style" and everything falls into place for Cooper.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

finally started the rewatch i've been procrastinating since i got the VHS set. this show hits different when you're watching it on a little CRT (or maybe i'm just a boomer idk)

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

disaster pastor posted:

That's not the Experiment, that's Naido.

then wtf is the Experiment? i thought it was the asian chick with eye holes all over her face

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hybridnoisebloom posted:

finally started the rewatch i've been procrastinating since i got the VHS set. this show hits different when you're watching it on a little CRT (or maybe i'm just a boomer idk)

This sounds awesome. Get you some old horror tapes too!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

then wtf is the Experiment? i thought it was the asian chick with eye holes all over her face

the thing in the glass box that kills tracy and whats his face + floats in the nuclear void and spits up BOB

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

hybridnoisebloom posted:

YES. Or even better: a CRT TV in a cabin in the woods, although it was the DVD set for me. It felt very appropriate.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

the thing in the glass box that kills tracy and whats his face + floats in the nuclear void and spits up BOB

The thing that was also inside of Sarah Palmer?

Well I thought that was Judy! :wtf:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well it's in the credits as Experiment, but there's a stronger case for it being Judy than just about anything else.

though, keep in mind that whatever's inside Sarah is clearly shown to have originated from the Experiment along with BOB. God what a weird show :allears:

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 4, 2022

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
I think the Experiment is definitely Judy and Sarah is possessed (?) by Jump Man. We've seen every other evil lodge spirit in the real world except for him.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Orunitier posted:

I think the Experiment is definitely Judy and Sarah is possessed (?) by Jump Man. We've seen every other evil lodge spirit in the real world except for him.

who the gently caress is Jump Man lmao

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Orunitier fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 4, 2022

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Orunitier posted:

That's no reason for it to be him (it?) though. It looked like Sarah had the "experiment" in her face or whatever. So I think it's Judy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

That's no reason for it to be him (it?) though. It looked like Sarah had the "experiment" in her face or whatever. So I think it's Judy.

Jumping Man, known for hopping on and off a box, having a long pointy nose and screeching. Judy gives birth to a frog-bug with a long pointy nose that's swallowed by Sarah Palmer. Then lies dormant for like, 35+ years. I think Judy is too powerful and volatile for that. I mean, the weird box in the first episode couldn't contain it.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Wait, the Latino looking girl in black & white was supposed to be Sarah Palmer? I thought the toadsect was BOB anyway.

Now I'm thinking it was Judy in physical form

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No, they said lmao, not Lalo.

Edit: Don't read this, I'm baiting you into posting the video with the sound effect :ssh:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well it's in the credits as Experiment, but there's a stronger case for it being Judy than just about anything else.

What's the case for it being Judy?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/SouthAFAO/status/1562101928477315073

Evil Coop shot a kid

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's the good Coop :colbert:

And of course it's Stabler "just not getting there in time", too

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fire Walk With Me turns 30 years old today! Who else is watching it today? I'm gonna watch it when I get home later.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I guess I will!!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

As a matter of fact I'm at your house, watching it right now :twisted:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I don’t need an excuse to watch FWWM but this is a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FWWM is cool and good.