Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Entropist posted:

At least in my country, the driver of a potentially lethal vehicle is always at fault in such a situation. You have to take the responsibility that comes with choosing to drive a car.

So someone could commit suicide by literally jumping in front of a truck and giving the trucker zero opportunity to avoid him, and the fault would still lie with the driver?

That doesn’t sound right at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That's because it's not true - by default liability lies partly with the driver of the vehicle but if there is proof like dashcam footage that the cyclist ran a red light or obviously did something else wrong, then you absolutely can get that liability shifted onto the cyclist or pedestrian.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
in any case the driver is the bigger piece of poo poo for fleeing the scene. probably a DUI.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Midjack posted:

From a sheer self preservation standpoint checking both ways before you run a red light on a bicycle is a really good idea!

As a daily cyclist I agree, and yeah you need to slow to a crawl too. Also I have literally looked at a driver on a 2-way stop (theirs), made eye contact, and then they go into the intersection anyway.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

VideoGameVet posted:

As a daily cyclist I agree, and yeah you need to slow to a crawl too. Also I have literally looked at a driver on a 2-way stop (theirs), made eye contact, and then they go into the intersection anyway.

To me, even as a non cyclist, this is equally as infuriating as when a cyclist runs a stop sign or red light. The rules of the road apply to everyone regardless of your chosen transportation mode.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PremiumSupport posted:

To me, even as a non cyclist, this is equally as infuriating as when a cyclist runs a stop sign or red light. The rules of the road apply to everyone regardless of your chosen transportation mode.

The one thing that really bothers me is the e-scooters because the law can't seem to decide whether they count as vehicles or pedestrians, and therefore whether they need to stop at stop signs as a vehicle would, or have all other vehicles give way to them as one would have to toward a pedestrian.

The average scooter rider, far more often than cyclists, seems to believe the latter, which strikes me as a bad idea simply because they actually go quite fast.

It's a legal grey area that hasn't been fully worked out, and on the whole I see much, much more dangerous behaviour from scooter riders than any cyclists.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

PT6A posted:

The one thing that really bothers me is the e-scooters because the law can't seem to decide whether they count as vehicles or pedestrians, and therefore whether they need to stop at stop signs as a vehicle would, or have all other vehicles give way to them as one would have to toward a pedestrian.

The average scooter rider, far more often than cyclists, seems to believe the latter, which strikes me as a bad idea simply because they actually go quite fast.

It's a legal grey area that hasn't been fully worked out, and on the whole I see much, much more dangerous behaviour from scooter riders than any cyclists.

In here they are unambigiously defined as bicycles and must follow the same traffic rules. Of course not everyone knows this or bothers to follow the rules, but at least the law is clear.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I like how they all have little stickers on the footboard that say "do not ride on sidewalks", the "wink wink" left unstated but heavily implied, as they're all stationed and left and ridden exclusively on sidewalks. As someone who walks in the city every day, they're one of the banes of my existence. Give me cyclists every day of the week.

And they're so loving lazy. The "downtown" of my city is 4 miles square. You can walk anywhere within it at a casual pace in less than an hour. Nobody needs an electric scooter here unless they're disabled, and then they have their own and don't need to rent.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 4, 2022

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Imagined posted:

And they're so loving lazy. The "downtown" of my city is 4 miles square. You can walk anywhere within it at a casual pace in less than an hour. Nobody needs an electric scooter here unless they're disabled, and then they have their own and don't need to rent.

If using a scooter as a "last mile" solution is what it takes to get people to use public transit, we should be happy. Not everybody is willing to walk an hour to work, bud. Don't forget the long walk to the bus station at the home side of the trip.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Very few places within a 4 mile square area are 4 miles apart. But I knew calling able-bodied people who won't walk a few miles lazy would rustle someone's jimmies here.

Bud.

You should know that exactly zero people rent those drat scooters to go to work or do anything that needs doing. Here at least they're exclusively rented by fat tourists and 25 year-old gentrifying 'urban colonizers' to go get avocado toast.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 4, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those scooters are a terrible idea since most people dont wear a helmet

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd stay on the sidewalk in any of the cities I've seen the rent -a-scooters available, too.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Those scooters are illegal to ride in any public space in my country, because they are not an approved category of vehicle. Fine by me, stick to bicycles.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Any business plan that relies on “people just leave trash on public property” needs to be nuked into oblivion. And a scooter that’s blocking the sidewalk is loving trash.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This one is almost refreshing compared to the things I’ve seen, but just thought it was fun how both these people decided at the very last minute that they were in the wrong place and even crossed the stripes. I’m sure I’ll grab more exciting stuff now that I have one of these fancy “dashboard cameras” to fiddle with.

https://youtu.be/QUl0wXOQQCA

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's never just one, either, there's always piles. I've often wondered if anybody ever just throws a heap of those things in the nearest dumpster when they accumulate a half dozen in front of a building

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I saw someone pull the "two rights make a straight" maneuver today. They hung a right on red, immediately made an illegal U turn and turned right again to run a red light without technically running it. As if any cop wouldn't nail their rear end if they saw them pull that poo poo.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I thought everyone knew you have to pull through a gas station, complain about the price of gas, and only then continue the maneuver.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I thought everyone knew you have to pull through a gas station, complain about the price of gas, and only then continue the maneuver.

Related. Kind of.

I am an auto tech, and years ago worked at a shop on a very busy corner. We had lots of people shortcornering through our parking lot to avoid waiting for the right on red. One day, 5 of us were pushing a no-start into a bay (4 pushing, 1 steering) when some clown blew his horn at us because we were pushing too slowly. Without a word, we all stopped pushing and turned to stare at him. He eventually backed up, and I hope he lost more time than he was hoping to save by cutting the corner.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AmesCoEstate/status/1555604867535831043

https://youtu.be/PDNGATpyr9k

I’d bet money this guy had a defeat device on his wheel

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

11 minutes in the cops say he had 2 priors for the same thing in the past year.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
As always, I never follow my own advice never to read Youtube comments.

Goddammit.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Elon stans really are the simpiest simps that ever licked a boot, aren't they.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Nidhg00670000 posted:

As always, I never follow my own advice never to read Youtube comments.

Goddammit.

Thanks. Due to your comment, I went back and scanned the quotes. Ouch. So many people making excuses for that idiot.

At least there is some pushback in the replies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/carnage4life/status/1555871312257507329?s=21&t=6fySZ3k7gnmxNUGYL_PP5A

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

99% of people who go to car shows/races are garbage people.

There is the annual historic grand prix here in Copenhagen* this weekend, and as always it turns into a super lovely parking situation. There's barely any parking available for the event, because we're in a city and all the parking there is close by is reserved for crew and handicap parking, because that's sort of important.

There are some parking garages, but you do have to walk a bit, or you can take the S-train to the nearest station and use the provided free shuttle buses.

But these mouthbreather wroom-wroom idiots just absolutely have to take their precious cars as close as possible to the event, which means they're appropriating every single goddamn street parking space in a several kilometer radius, including reserved spaces. It's real goddamn fun to arrive in a car share car after a long drive, only to find the reserved parking space blocked by some fucktrumpet, and you only have ten minutes left on your booking, so you have to find an alternate parking spot, all of which are also taken.

The reserved spot was even blocked by those pay-per-minute short-term rentals, which very specifically tell you on the dash display that you are not allowed to park them in reserved car share parking spots, but I guess people are just too stupid to read. I hope they get fined.

It really is that blindingly idiotic mindset of "there's no parking immediately in front of the thing I'm going to, so there's no parking available anywhere ever and I hate cyclists and public transit and walking".

And I haven't even gotten to the trash that gets spread everywhere on streets surrounding the even. Discarded wristbands, flyers, food garbage, random crap. People just discard it because gently caress it, it's not their neighborhood.

It's a bit like smokers just discarding butts everywhere. If you aren't sure there's a trash can where you're going to be smoking, either bring a pocket ashtray or don't loving smoke. If there probably isn't going to be parking where you're going, maybe don't drive your loving car there.

* I used to be part of the track construction crew 2010-2019, but I can't be arsed anymore, plus the general atmosphere got shittier and more politically polarized over the last couple of years.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 7, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Uhhhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/NHETexas76/status/1558966940353323009?t=VFXa8fVujD3m0vuAh8JxPA&s=19

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Mall crawler driving badly? First time ever!

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 16, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Can't park there mate!

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1559883296808615937?s=20&t=HgjUzCYerPphADu9I9gvJQ

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ that poor pedestrian, that's nightmare fuel :stare:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They reacted quickly and appropriately, at least. Good situational awareness, no hesitation. Bit of the Prometheus school of running in the same direction as the thing chasing you, but I'd have done the same thing there, and it worked!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://twitter.com/william_volk/status/1560701927700058112?s=20&t=zJaXVBDKUaOx8RPdfxB0YQ

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/cctv_videos/status/1562753475200499715?s=20&t=nzCnJFZ4GKOy3_ZdXJ4fyQ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/o4Ip2Sh.mp4

https://news.yahoo.com/wild-nyc-car-chase-ends-235800085.html

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I love the good journalistic practice of doxing the witness who spoke to reporters.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Devor posted:

I love the good journalistic practice of doxing the witness who spoke to reporters.

It was just his first name and where he works. I'm sure plenty of people named Nour work at that deli, it could have been any one of them.

For real hopefully he gave all fake information to the nice people at the NY Daily News who think it is appropriate to put the name and place of work of a witness to a daylight vehicular assault and armed robbery in a news article.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
What's the point of talking to reporters if they don't show your face in the evening news.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Thankfully a moment after I took the pic a guy walked around to put it up. I was wondering how tf I was going to get their attention.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/MikeWayland/status/1562518465587851265

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's too big a gap, another car would jump right in there on the road and the 'trailer' would poo poo itself and slam on the brakes for whatever's behind it to smash into.