Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Stultus Maximus posted:

How is that a downside? I love seeing all the little guys on our native plants.

Things can get pretty exciting in a bad way if you neglect to make sure there are no extra passengers when you go to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Saukkis posted:

I meant something different. Get rid of the chain completely. Attach a generator to the pedals and a motor to the wheel.

It's been tried. Maybe easier now given the decent motors.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Trip report: took my leaf s plus down to the Jersey shore. Google maps pegged the trip at 171 miles each way plus a bit a of routing around traffic. Overall I’m pretty pleased with the range. On the way down I stopped at EVgo spot about 65 miles in just because I wanted to top off from 74% to say 91% or so and just get the hang of chase fast charging. Worked fine no issues other than figuring out the order of the plug app.

I got to the hotel which was cool enough to let me charge to 100% on an outdoor outlet.

Trip back got kind of hairy. I routed to the same outlet mall with the EVgo which was like 105 miles plus some routing around. Arrived with about 47%. What sucked was getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on garden state for like 2 hours. I turned off ac to be safe which was awful but W/e. Charged to 87% then headed home with the ac cranked. Made the last 65ish miles home with about 57% left in the tank.

Is this pricing about standard? I saw some ChargePoint stations in the outlet but wasn’t sure if they were better priced or faster 🤷‍♂️

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 31, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

God minute pricing is so loving stupid.

I charged at a kWh billed EA station last night, almost exactly the same amount and paid around $8.50.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

In Socal EVgo is charging like $0.65/minute with a $2.99 "session fee" because they are assholes

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Elviscat posted:

God minute pricing is so loving stupid.

I charged at a kWh billed EA station last night, almost exactly the same amount and paid around $8.50.

Per minute works out to be cheaper with the EV6 on a 350kW charger. :v:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
drat In 2013 I paid a flat $2 that included a 1 an hour parking spot for all day, which people would ice cause it was cheaper. Ice holes! Also people would point and laugh at my leaf it owned.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Man, I really hope I win the Model S Plaid S-Apex on Omaze - that's pretty much the only way I'll ever be able to afford one. Model S looks freaking awesome lowered with a widebody - not that they are ugly to begin with. Only downside is that it comes with The Yoke.
https://www.omaze.com/products/tesla-s-plaid-s-apex

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Unplugged Performance does some good work. I'm sure there's ways to convert that wheel to a standard one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Unplugged Performance does some good work. I'm sure there's ways to convert that wheel to a standard one.

I thought I saw where someone did a wheel swap, but it took some software fuckery.

edit: TSportline has modified yokes for $2300+: https://tsportline.com/collections/tesla-model-s-yoke-steering-wheels-june-2021-present

Pimp My EV has a number of options starting at $1600: https://pimpmyev.com/products/custom-traditional-circular-round-steering-wheel-replacement-for-model-s-or-plaid-2021-2022

gently caress you, Tesla, for making the yoke the only option on some models. It's stupid, please stop.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 1, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What I love is that you’ve got people paying thousands of dollars to get rid of their yoke and then other people spending thousands of dollars to add a yoke to their 3/Y

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

What I love is that you’ve got people paying thousands of dollars to get rid of their yoke and then other people spending thousands of dollars to add a yoke to their 3/Y

money to be made by the first middleman who runs yokeswap.org

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Should just be a joystick in the center console area

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Neuralink solves this

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

money to be made by the first middleman who runs yokeswap.org

Sounds more like a .xxx domain to me

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bitprophet posted:

Polestar has CarPlay now! :dance:

Not sure if I ever posted my own “cruft bylaw” pic in here, so have a late-spring snap of my then-new PS2 visiting my folks’ place, with similarly attired cat in foreground.

What’s the trap speed of the cat?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Seeing EV6 GT reviews pop up now, is that getting close to release or something? First half dozen preorders maybe.

Reviews are impressed but the range sacrifice (down to 263mi) is its weakness.

https://www.wired.com/story/kia-ev6-gt-review/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a40756379/2023-kia-ev6-gt-drive/

Hm Q4.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'd get the EV6 GT over a Model Y Performance any day. I'm not into crossovers so this isn't saying much but still.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m guessing based off the 161 mph top speed it is also going to embarrass the Mach-e GT at 50-70/highway passing/trap speed further making Ford look like dipshits.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wish the EV6 had a bit more space behind the rear seats otherwise I’d slap a deposit down on the GT. But it won’t fit midsize dog carriers so nah.

The electronic limited slip diff really interests me like how good are those for cornering etc. sounds like the GT still has a bit of roll though.

I miss my e46 wagon, not the fastest but really fun to drive.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm seeing a bunch of videos up on the GT version now, and boy is that konami code to unlock a drift mode so you can put your car in the ditch silly. It also seemed strange the most expensive version of the car has no power seats. I get that it has different seats entirely from the base version, but why just have them manual adjusted?

Considering how alike all the e-gmp cars are though, this should be pretty much a window into how everything with that framework will behave in their performance versions.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The Straightpipes guys did a video on the GV60 with the drift mode and turning off all assists and said it was genuinely scary and somewhat uncontrollable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoLseHL42cM&t=179s

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tom Guycot posted:

It also seemed strange the most expensive version of the car has no power seats. I get that it has different seats entirely from the base version, but why just have them manual adjusted?
Am I the only one who prefers a manual seat? At least slide and recline are so much faster and easier to set where I want it that way rather than waiting on a slow motor and then usually tweaking back and forth a bit.

I guess if you share a vehicle with someone of a significantly different build power seats with memory are probably great, but memory still seems to be treated as an advanced feature that not all cars are even permitted to have.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I prefer (or at least don't mind) manual seats for a car nobody else drives, but my wife and I share a daily with manual seats and automated memory seats would be very nice indeed.

Adjustments are finer on power seats for the most part, as well. Doesn't bother me that much but it matters to some people.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As a tall I always found power seats used to cut into the amount of headroom, but in newer cars this issue doesn't seem to be as prevalant. They're definitely something I can deal without though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Looks like poo poo.

Not your fault, tho

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Speleothing posted:

Looks like poo poo.

False.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Thats a drat nice looking car

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Still looks like a focus

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

priznat posted:

As a tall I always found power seats used to cut into the amount of headroom, but in newer cars this issue doesn't seem to be as prevalant. They're definitely something I can deal without though.

As a fellow tall, there's a lot of cars where the manual option won't get close enough to the floor to clear my dome, but the power option would.

If I ever rode in the passenger seat of any of my SN95 Mustangs I ran into that issue.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Elviscat posted:

As a fellow tall, there's a lot of cars where the manual option won't get close enough to the floor to clear my dome, but the power option would.

Your Dimmadome?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thats a drat nice looking car, instead of CUV.

FTFY

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

wolrah posted:

Am I the only one who prefers a manual seat? At least slide and recline are so much faster and easier to set where I want it that way rather than waiting on a slow motor and then usually tweaking back and forth a bit.

I don't have a problem with manual slide, but that's because I always adjust to the backstop. I'm only 178cm, why on earth do I have to slide the seat to maximum on a BMW 5-series! It really looks like I have non-standard body proportions.

The other adjustments, on the other hand. I regularly take a nap in my car, and switching between normal and full recline on my previous car, by jamming my hand between the seat and B-pillar and spinning the roller got annoying fast.

Then there's adjustments like tilt and height which often feel they really can't be used while sitting without motors.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Still looks like a focus

Finally someone is ushering in the era of non-weirdmobile electric cars. Overdue, IMHO.

Boring EVs is a strong signal that they're commonplace now.

e: Wait, this was made in 2009? Why am I just hearing about it?

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 3, 2022

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

wolrah posted:

I guess if you share a vehicle with someone of a significantly different build power seats with memory are probably great, but memory still seems to be treated as an advanced feature that not all cars are even permitted to have.

I've always been able to get the back in a better spot with power recline without having to gently caress around too much.. But yeah, the main reason we wanted power memory seats is we share the one car and have a foot of height difference.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Citizen Z posted:

I've always been able to get the back in a better spot with power recline without having to gently caress around too much.. But yeah, the main reason we wanted power memory seats is we share the one car and have a foot of height difference.

He's six inches tall, she's eighteen. How do they manage the phone books and stilts in their Ford Econoline? Next time, on Inside Edition.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

The seat memory function is of limited use if the memory profile does not also include mirrors and the steering wheel. You never get your perfect setup if you have to adjust them every time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I drive with the seat and wheel in positions that make it considerably more difficult to get in and out of the car so power/memory/easy exit is a pretty huge plus for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I have seat, mirrors, and steering memory. I also have a feature that when I turn the car off it slides the seat back and raises the steering wheel to make it easier to get out. It's nice.