Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

I uh would not count on Goodell to make things better. Here or just in general. He’s probably thrilled it isn’t more.

I highly doubt it, unless the NFL's stance for the past like 4 months was entirely some sort of weird reverse psychology. The question is going to be whether or not they feel like it's worth the NFLPA potentially putting up a (doomed) suit and drawing things out.

Taking sentencing away from Roger Goodell was one of the major goals of the NFL PA for the last collective bargaining agreement and they weren't able to negotiate anything other than having a theoretically neutral first step that the NFL can override at will. Being football judge dread is incredibly important to Roger Goodell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, Goodell from everything that has been leaked wanted a year.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If the judge gave 12 games I bet the league wouldn’t do anything.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There was some tweet this morning that said the NFL wanted 12 games + 7 million dollars and the NFLPA balked at it over money. If "NFL" means Goodell here.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Harlock posted:

There was some tweet this morning that said the NFL wanted 12 games + 7 million dollars and the NFLPA balked at it over money. If "NFL" means Goodell here.

Then the PA likely hosed up.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Give him 16 games so he’s eligible to only play the very last game of the regular season

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Incredible Brock Turner vibes.

For those that forgot about that shitstain, he was charged with raping a drunk woman but was only convicted of 3 counts of sexual assault because he didn't have penetrative sex with the victim*. Then the judge only gave him 6 months in prison & 3 years of probation; he only served 1/2 that time.

At least the judge was recalled.

*what differentiates sexual assault & rape in the eyes of the law is :can:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Turner got caught in the act was the extra messed up part. A guy walking by mid sexual assault, beat his rear end and called the cops.

6 goddamn games loving hell.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The NFL is tired of the ambiguity and want to make it ABUNDANTLY clear they don't give a gently caress about women

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's extremely funny that the NFL's new system blew up in their face immediately, basically forcing Goodell to either accept the punishment and make everyone mad or appeal and cast doubt on the process

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Look I REALLY hope I am wrong and Goodell bans the fucker for a year life. I just don't see any precedent for him doing more than the bare minimum when it comes to violence against women and sex crimes. I know it's been said a million times already but they had the Ray Rice tape and did absolutely nothing until it leaked. He won't hesitate to drop the hammer when it's ~integrity of the game~ at stake like Ridley (lol) or Deflategate or PEDs. But with almost all the civil cases settled and no criminal charges, I have a hard time seeing him steamrolling the judge. My cynicism about the NFL's leadership is bottomless.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The NFL is tired of the ambiguity and want to make it ABUNDANTLY clear they don't give a gently caress about women

Basically. I figure he sees Watson playing at a pro bowl level and the Browns making a playoff run as a bigger win for the league than putting this human shitstain in his place. But again, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know whether it's in the NFL's interest to cast doubt on the process but it absolutely is in Goodell's interest.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Goodell would get off on arguing that this independent arbitrator agreement with the PA was stupid and that the system worked better when he had full authority.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This poo poo is really testing my "never root for people to get injured while playing football" ethos.

I'd root for Brady and the Bucs over the loving Browns at this point.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey remember that Calvin Ridley got suspended for a year for making a bet when he was injured and not even playing

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey remember that Calvin Ridley got suspended for a year for making a bet when he was injured and not even playing

Yeah but betting on the Falcons is such a lapse of judgement he needs a full season out to reflect on it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mina as usual has the right take here:

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1554134662611476480?t=j4AAgqi59Lgeg5zCCVmc2Q&s=19

Because it all happened concurrently - 20+ women are being treated as one offense. If we were to follow past precedent, Watson should be getting 6 games per incident/120+ games.

Extremely gross that this is basically - if you're gonna commit foul crimes or be suspected of such - do them all at once so it only counts as one punishment.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Problem solved.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1554143843326607360?t=OHxEI96n6oSsg3PQ1Kt5rw&s=19

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Wow she enshrined the George Constanza standard into her ruling

"Was that wrong? Should I not have raped 24 women? If anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon...."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If a 'culture change' of consent matters is too much for a person then they can get hosed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Someone check this judge’s case record when she was on the bench.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The use of the phrase "non-violent sexual conduct" in this case is genuinely, deeply upsetting

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

That ruling is Stage IV Legalism Brain.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

xbilkis posted:

The use of the phrase "non-violent sexual conduct" in this case is genuinely, deeply upsetting

Also literally recognizing that he’s at huge risk of being a recidivist by saying “yeah no outside massages anymore.”

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"without the benefit of fair notice" rofl.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That is some real brain worms.

I'm sure if Watson knew he could be potentially be suspended for a season he wouldn't have assaulted so many women.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Where did they find this judge? Trump Towers?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
drat she's really teeing it up for goodell

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah you needed to release a memo saying sexual assault is bad. Rats! One Weird Trick

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

The union might as well appeal the entire suspension

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

absolutely deranged.

"he didn't know the league frowned upon sexual assault. unfair to catch him up in this sea change"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That is some real brain worms.

I'm sure if Watson knew he could be potentially be suspended for a season he wouldn't have assaulted so many women.

This isn't a defense of the judge but if she feels she is an arbitrator and has to work within the CBA rules and precedent she might of thought this was would stick if it is challenged.

dirty shrimp money posted:

The union might as well appeal the entire suspension

I mean, they might. It's not like the NFLPA cares about domestic abuse.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Neil Armbong posted:

absolutely deranged.

"he didn't know the league frowned upon sexual assault. unfair to catch him up in this sea change"

Fair. With how indifferent they've been with prior rapists who could tell they'd have an issue with this one?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I'm glad american legal minds have decided to be guided by the opening song to fiddler on the roof.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the judge is a cringe ratio'd football megamaga chud and they did 6 games so deshaun could face the ravens and bengals with no tape on what he's doing w/ the browns

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha was it just the other day that the NFLPA was like "oh we won't appeal the decision and hope the NFL joins us in that!"?

They knew he was getting a slap on the wrist and don't want Goodell to make it more

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1554161432421433345?t=TnPXb4oRD8FOVnvOTAlxsQ&s=19

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Florio posted the full report linked on twitter.

edit: beaten

The conduct described isn't surprising to anyone who's followed this story. Robinson's conclusion remains insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Ayudo posted:

Florio posted the full report linked on twitter.

edit: beaten

The conduct described isn't surprising to anyone who's followed this story. Robinson's conclusion remains insane.

she claims it's the harshest penalty ever handed down for non-violent sexual assualt which sure is some choice phrasing.