Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Phanatic posted:

So do non-bodega convenience stores.

Yeah, it isn't uncommon or unique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

New yorkers think they have this unique amazing culture that can't be found anywhere else in the world, but really they just talk stupid

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
In the PNW, we don't have bodegas. I have heard the word before but never thought much about it. I figured, once I encounter one, I'll know what it is. I had no idea they were just convenience stores.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

sassassin posted:

In the UK "bodegas" are corner shops, or [racial slur] shops to a certain demographic.

Fun fact: A lot of people think Bostonians are being racist when we refer to going to a "Packie" to pick up liquor.

It's short for Package Store

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

credburn posted:

In the PNW, we don't have bodegas. I have heard the word before but never thought much about it. I figured, once I encounter one, I'll know what it is. I had no idea they were just convenience stores.
Relevant link https://twitter.com/Bodegacats

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Neito posted:

Fun fact: A lot of people think Bostonians are being racist when we refer to going to a "Packie" to pick up liquor.

Yikes yeah don't say that in the UK, that's on par with the n-word around where I live.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

flavor.flv posted:

New yorkers think they have this unique amazing culture that can't be found anywhere else in the world, but really they just talk stupid

I mean gently caress New Yorkers but "bodegas" is a very lovely example because it's not unique to New York, it's like saying "they think they're so special because they drink soda and act like I'm supposed to know what that is."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Also it's a nice word and acknowledges a particular ethnic population and gave us the good twitter account with the lovely cats.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Let’s move on from same stupid bodega argument that Twitter was obsessing over years ago.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Neito posted:

First time my wife said that around me I did a double take. Then we had to have a quick teachable moment about how she's not living in the New England area anymore.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Where else can you buy a common food item and a common toiletry under the same roof? Greatest city in the world no doubt about it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

in Danish, "bodega" means bar (specifically an old bar with brown wood paneling, a jukebox, and ancient regulars)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Crumps Brother posted:

First time my wife said that around me I did a double take. Then we had to have a quick teachable moment about how she's not living in the New England area anymore.

It's definitely one of the last Great New Englandisms, alongside Tonic and the Frappe/Milkshake divide, and putting some good ol sharp Cabbot cheddar on your slice of apple pie.

(Tonic is the Boston-area word for soda or pop, and is mostly used to confuse outsiders these days, or to pretend you're "old Boston". A milkshake in Boston is just milk and syrup, shaken; a frappe is the one with ice cream).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Admiralty Flag posted:

Trivia time because someone mentioned the word: "bodega" comes from the same root as "apothecary"

I love this kind of pop-etymology, it owns. Every time I wrap my head round "word X and word Y-that-looks-nothing-like-it come from the same place" I feel like I can see the loving matrix.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think in daredevil he does shoot some ninjas.

The main irritation I had from either season was the fact Frank should have been dead 9 times over from all the abuse he took, but he still got up and kicked everyone's rear end. His super power is "tough", but it's just so overdone that is annoying.

That and jigsaw from season 2 was barely scarred considering his face was chili before that. I dunno if it was some kinda contract thing where the actor wanted to be recognizable but he should have been WAY more hosed up.

I argue it's not annoying. The Punisher is supposed to do what he does in the shows. He punishes lovely ppl. Superpower being 'tough' is kinda the point after highly trained murder unit. They atleast showed he got hurt, a lot, and had recovery. Yea, Thor/Iron Man/Hulk etc will outright kill him, but he's not meant to be fighting crazy poo poo. He gets roughed up taking out some lovely normals and then gets back to work when he feels better. It's, in my opinion, meant to show his determination to achieve a goal over superior power with skill. The character would suck if he just walked through problems. Punisher is the dirty version of Hawkeye really. Daredevil's thing is his dad was such a good boxer that as a blind adult he can hear where a fist is to know the direction/angle/speed/origin/target so well that he avoids it and extropolation of the failed punch gives him perfect accuracy to knock everyone out with one shot... Punisher being 'tough' is less of a stretch.
Only arguing that it's not annoying(from my own perspective).

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

They should use this place just for the name alone. I mean I know it's just a bathroom in a park, but it sounds like the waiting room you hang out in before you meet Satan.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've heard people use the term "Paki", referring to a Pakistani, but I never realized it was a slur. When I think of the people I've heard use it that way, I think they also don't know it is a slur.

edit to clarify: It kind of sounds like I'm minimalizing it. I'm just saying this because it's a thing I did not know but, at least in these forums, it seems like a thing people know.

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Aug 1, 2022

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love this kind of pop-etymology, it owns. Every time I wrap my head round "word X and word Y-that-looks-nothing-like-it come from the same place" I feel like I can see the loving matrix.

"Buckaroo" is Whitey being unable to pronounce vaquero.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

credburn posted:

I've heard people use the term "Paki", referring to a Pakistani, but I never realized it was a slur. When I think of the people I've heard use it that way, I think they also don't know it is a slur.

I didn’t realize it was considered that bad/severe. I thought it was similar to saying “Jew” when referring to someone who’s Jewish.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shnakepup posted:

I didn’t realize it was considered that bad/severe. I thought it was similar to saying “Jew” when referring to someone who’s Jewish.

Maybe it's just me, but I also do a double take with that one. Like saying someone is Jewish is one thing, but saying that someone is "a jew", particularly if the person saying it isn't jewish, idk, I'm white so I have no idea what I'm talking about but it feels iffy to me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I feel like there is really nothing to be gained by comparing the severity of various slurs for different groups. I will say that if I heard a white person use the word "Paki" to an asian person in the UK I would absolutely expect to see a physical fight within the next 10 seconds, so yeah, its pretty severe.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I had thought it was an ethnic group. Kazakhstan, land of the Kazakhs. Afghanistan, land of the Afghans. Pakistan, land of the-

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly any name is a slur if they're an oppressed or marginalized group and you put enough stank on it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

IDK why, but I thought that of all the things I said, cheese on apple pie was gonna be the one to cause the fight.

Personally I limit use of Packie to within New England, talking to other New Englanders, cus I can get how it'd look to someone not raise in the culture. The phonetic similarity alone is enough to make me wary outside of that context.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The P-slur for south Asian people is severe enough in the UK that I wouldn't even type it out to be honest. It's incredibly offensive.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Byzantine posted:

I had thought it was an ethnic group. Kazakhstan, land of the Kazakhs. Afghanistan, land of the Afghans. Pakistan, land of the-

Pakistan is an acronym.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's the Urdu word for "the pure" and the Persian word for "place of."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nesamdoom posted:

I argue it's not annoying. The Punisher is supposed to do what he does in the shows. He punishes lovely ppl. Superpower being 'tough' is kinda the point after highly trained murder unit. They atleast showed he got hurt, a lot, and had recovery. Yea, Thor/Iron Man/Hulk etc will outright kill him, but he's not meant to be fighting crazy poo poo. He gets roughed up taking out some lovely normals and then gets back to work when he feels better. It's, in my opinion, meant to show his determination to achieve a goal over superior power with skill. The character would suck if he just walked through problems. Punisher is the dirty version of Hawkeye really. Daredevil's thing is his dad was such a good boxer that as a blind adult he can hear where a fist is to know the direction/angle/speed/origin/target so well that he avoids it and extropolation of the failed punch gives him perfect accuracy to knock everyone out with one shot... Punisher being 'tough' is less of a stretch.
Only arguing that it's not annoying(from my own perspective).

All true but the amount of repeated punishment he received over the course of those shows was superhuman, way too over the top sometimes and often strained credibility for a show that's generally considered "grounded" and involves heroes with a lower tier power set. Frank would barely be able to get out of bed half the time, let alone go out and kick even more rear end.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's the Urdu word for "the pure" and the Persian word for "place of."
and an acronym

quote:

The name of the country was coined in 1933 by Choudhry Rahmat Ali, a Pakistan Movement activist, who published it in a pamphlet Now or Never, using it as an acronym ("thirty million Muslim brethren who live in PAKISTAN")[36] to refer to the names of the five northern regions of the British Raj: Punjab, Afghania, Kashmir, Sindh, and Baluchistan.[36]

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My condolences

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

My condolences

Not british though!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Neito posted:

Fun fact: A lot of people think Bostonians are being racist [/spoiler]

A reasonable guess at any time.

christmas boots posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I also do a double take with that one. Like saying someone is Jewish is one thing, but saying that someone is "a jew", particularly if the person saying it isn't jewish, idk, I'm white so I have no idea what I'm talking about but it feels iffy to me.

I have had non-Jews people tell me they’re uncomfortable with saying it, which is hilarious to me. It’s just years of hearing people talk about The Jews angrily. There are apparently actual Jews who do get offended by it out there but they are definitely a minority.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've seen locations referred to as a "Jewery." Is that like a Little Italy or Chinatown but Jewish? And um, is it, uh... okay to say?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is this really where we're going to repeat words that may be slurs and ask if they're okay to say? I mean, you can see where this could become a problem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have had non-Jews people tell me they’re uncomfortable with saying it, which is hilarious to me. It’s just years of hearing people talk about The Jews angrily. There are apparently actual Jews who do get offended by it out there but they are definitely a minority.

Unfortunately this is kinda what we call the euphemism treadmill, where benign terms that even started out as the sensitive and polite alternative end up turned into slurs.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is this really where we're going to repeat words that may be slurs and ask if they're okay to say? I mean, you can see where this could become a problem.

Ten Words You Can Still Use To Trigger The Snowflakes

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

credburn posted:

I've seen locations referred to as a "Jewery." Is that like a Little Italy or Chinatown but Jewish? And um, is it, uh... okay to say?

Literally the only place I've ever seen that term used is with the word "International" in front of it, by fascists keen to let you know that they don't hate individual people, just the concept of Jewish people in general. So I dunno man, maybe not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jewry is a real word used in actual Jewish publications to describe all things Jewish. It just sounds like the most antisemitic thing you’ve ever heard.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

You're not wrong, which depresses me as someone who otherwise holds a great deal of affection for that city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

Honestly any name is a slur if they're an oppressed or marginalized group and you put enough stank on it.