Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Happy Landfill posted:

What's Vic's beef with Crunchyroll?

Probably auditioned after the new administration rolled in and got told, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GhostStalker posted:

lmao, Ministry of Otaku. I knew that guy was an ISWV douchebag after he posted a bunch of videos on his small rear end YouTube channel saying that he wasn’t going to attend any con last year that had a mask or vaccination mandate.

I only discovered him because I was looking for videos of the shenanigans my DJ friends and I got up to at the Lumica booth at ANYC 2019, and while he had some good videos of our Anikura stuff, his everything else turned out to be regressive anime bro bullshit. Oh course he went to Anime Matsuri. Been hearing some stuff about how they had a bunch of right wing YouTubers there as well, but of course Vic was their star attraction.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1553088701328154627

Not just ANY right wing YouTubers. They straight up got... some woman, and... the guy who once ragetweeted at Elmo from Sesame Street for some reason, and... uh... the guy from that compilation image of dudes sitting in their cars wearing ball caps and sunglasses. One of them, anyway.

What a spread.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

They also have some more interesting panels that are basically a greenlight for socially-awkward guys to harass women, so it's very much an intentional choice on the convention's part and not just "whoops, we didn't do our research!"
https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1551801096863002624

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Drip Jesus

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1553088701328154627

Not just ANY right wing YouTubers. They straight up got... some woman, and... the guy who once ragetweeted at Elmo from Sesame Street for some reason, and... uh... the guy from that compilation image of dudes sitting in their cars wearing ball caps and sunglasses. One of them, anyway.

What a spread.

Pretty sure they got Nick himself too, hot off his many successful legal battles. Drunkenly repeating $20 superchats is what court is, right? Oh, wait, but he can't do that because his channel got a strike. Try to legal at them, Nick!

And That Star Wars Girl is part of Geeks and Gamers, last seen being hilariously thrown under the bus by Zack Snyder. She's the kind of 100% dipshit who complains about new Star Trek being woke and will say something mournful about Nichelle Nichols' passing but think her being on the show at the time wasn't political.

Shinjobi posted:

Drip Jesus

You forgot a comma.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is Drip Jesus the God of Drip or is that two separate entities? Also where is the Drip Spirit in all this?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you just don't get it, multiple Drip Jesuses can be used on Convention Baddies

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I need to see what Drip Jesus actually will wear to this panel

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shinjobi posted:

Drip Jesus

The God of Drip

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What is "drip" and what is a "baddie"? I am not good at toxic nerd slang.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Drip is Zoomer for fashion, I have no idea what baddies means except from context clues but I think it means women?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The whole twitter thread is just :kiss:

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1552520002900635649

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1553150510269472774

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i feel so bad for any idols that go to a con like animematsuri

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

thatStarWarsgrl

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
"Drip Jesus" is now claiming the panel is meant to be "satire".

I. M. Gei posted:

What is "drip" and what is a "baddie"? I am not good at toxic nerd slang.

Mors Rattus posted:

Drip is Zoomer for fashion, I have no idea what baddies means except from context clues but I think it means women?

"Baddies" can either mean "a hot girl", or a hot girl of a specific "style", usually very popular on Instagram. Think Kylie Jenner, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP2jKw2LMzk

quote:

The Baddie aesthetic is influenced heavily by the likes of the Kardashian/Jenner style, Cute Booty Lounge Coupons YouTube beauty gurus, and some of the more popular Instagram models.

Baddie makeup puts a lot of emphasis on having very thick eyebrows, dark eyeliner, and lips (Kylie Jenner's products are popular among the Baddie sect), using makeup to contour the face into an aesthetically pleasing fashion, usage of fake eyelashes, and lots of clear lip-gloss. Hair, hairstyles, and hair accessories are very important as well. Baddies usually have long, dark straight wigs or hair.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 1, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Escape From Noise posted:

thatStarWarsgrl

Because they're only allowed to have one.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

That Star Wars Girl page on Youtube.fandom.com posted:

Anna TSWG provides commentary and reports news regarding geek media, and stands against the same woke culture that claims to support people like her. She's vehemently against the modern Disney era of Star Wars media in which she claims has ruined the franchise to promote identity politics, and loathes how they say it's to appeal to women. She often criticizes feminism, woke culture, SJWs and the far left, as well as the concept of political correctness. Videos often have bombastic voices and frequent use of swearing.

TSWG says that entertainment should be entertaining first and foremost, and no one wants to hear far left identity politics shoehorned into any product. Furthermore, she points out how hypocritical the leftists are, as she often pokes fun at her haters who claim to respect women but don't actually care, as shown with how they attack her for not kowtowing to the narrative. One point she often makes is that feminism usually means erasing everything feminine about female characters, which she detests.

I am making a jerk-off motion so furiously, the energy could probably power a small city.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

I am making a jerk-off motion so furiously, the energy could probably power a small city.

"The left is so hypocritical. Why don't they support me, a woman, in my ongoing quest to denigrate other women and help those who want to strip our rights away and erase us from media? Why is it--oh, sorry, that's all the time I have for you today, a man is talking and I need to shut up now. Like and subscribe!"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

my god

it's beautiful

it's exactly what i imagined a texas anime con would be like

go a bit farther south for an infinitely better time:
https://twitter.com/Tortilla_Senpai/status/1548760338438524931

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Bombastic voices and frequent use of swearing???

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bombastic voices and frequent use of swearing???

Louder, angrier AND access to a mental time machine back to 1855 when women didn't have rights :haw:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i feel so bad for any idols that go to a con like animematsuri

I remember when Kusada Aina (Kussun, the seiyuu of Nozomi Tojo of Love Live fame) was announced as a guest for Anime Matsuri in like 2019? And the #BoycottAnimeMatsuri folks tried to warn her off because of the terrible rep the Leighs have wrt non payment of guests and the like, and that was taken as proof by the ISWV assholes that cancel culture was out to get them and that they had to double down harder. I believe this was also the year they had the dude who attended in full SS Nazi cosplay and who took over a panel room to read Anne Frank fanfiction or something like that (EDIT: nvm, was the year before, in 2018).

Also, Shibuya Kaho, the former JAV star turned author/streamer/cosplayer/influencer went to AM last year and complained that they basically used her as unpaid tech support and camera tech and translator in helping to assemble a life sized Rem statue they somehow got their hands on. She’s a friend of a friend, so her displeasure at being taken advantage of like that made the rounds in my social circle and layered on the poo poo that AM has done.

Midjack posted:

my god

it's beautiful

it's exactly what i imagined a texas anime con would be like

go a bit farther south for an infinitely better time:
https://twitter.com/Tortilla_Senpai/status/1548760338438524931

Yeah, this looks infinitely better. I just wish Covid hadn’t pushed back Anime Frontier and prevented Hasshi (Ayaka Ohashi, the anisong artist and seiyuu) from making her first con appearance in North America. With Peter Tatara’s backing (the absolutely humble guy with a gigantic Rolodex who runs AnimeNYC, amongst other cons), AF could’ve eaten Matsuri’s lunch and we’d have a better standard of Texas con.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 2, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

'TSWG says that entertainment should be entertaining first and foremost, and no one wants to hear far left identity politics shoehorned into any product,' she says, while making her entire identity about the politics of entertainment

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

and yet shes thatstarwarsgrrl and not thatdailycallergrrl

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GhostStalker posted:

I believe this was also the year they had the dude who attended in full SS Nazi cosplay and who took over a panel room to read Anne Frank fanfiction or something like that.

:stare:

What.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah

https://twitter.com/ronijane123/status/980226106749018112?s=20&t=N38mn5hS_1P9f0NsF3gzmw

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I wouldn't call that cosplay if they're just wearing their normal clothes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe Hellsing Ultimate just got way edgier than I remember.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I actually assumed it was a Hetalia thing. At one point, people dressed as Homestuck trolls and people dressed as Hetalia characters were public enemies no. one and two at conventions: the former due to the grey body/facepaint, the latter due to the giant flags they tote around (and also some "pretend" Nazi poo poo).

https://twitter.com/mametchl/status/1216859936623407104?lang=en
https://twitter.com/Captain_Roots/status/1216861499672743936
https://twitter.com/spookyskeltals/status/1217110456688693248

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

whoever this person is i got them

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
to their credit at least half of that photoshoot looks too embarrassed to even make eye contact with the camera

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The best thing about that photo is that it's all people doing Nazi salutes that have their faces censored, and not any of the people who obviously don't like being there. Speaks to the priorities of the poster who put it up originally.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 2, 2022

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

yeah i was about to say, some interesting choices in whose faces were censored and whose weren't

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

whoever this person is i got them

I haven’t thought about this incident in forever, and I was just at AB a couple months ago. Just a hurricane of bad decisions piling up there…

Man, early US conventions were certainly cringey as gently caress, but it’s not like certain modern ones like AM are any better, as we were just talking about.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Early 00s conventions were weird (and certainly gross in particular areas) but they were simpler. The mid 00s initial boom of anime meant crowd sizes exploded and good god things got out of hand very quickly.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There's a scene in Mega Man X4 where the General and the Repliforce do that heil thing too, and that game came out in 1997.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ah, so Laura Ingraham was actually just a huge Hetalia fan at the wrong convention.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thatStarWarsgrl

My favorite thing about That Star Wars Girl is she crowdfunded a ton of money for a 2022 calendar that took several months into 2022 to actually come out and the quality level was basically Kinko's level.

Also:

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1554634847074672640

"Look! I'm wearing a red coat! Like Ed! You like Ed, right? RIGHT?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gyges posted:

Ah, so Laura Ingraham was actually just a huge Hetalia fan at the wrong convention.

No, she just has the Dr. Strangelove condition where her right arm will just randomly sieg heil at certain stress triggers and she has to find a way to try and make it like she didn't just salute the fuehrer for seemingly no reason.

It's more common than you'd think.