Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Nobody's saying that either. What you appear to be saying is that the CDC poo poo the bed with AIDS in the 80s and therefore they are doing the exact same thing with monkeypox.

The AP apparently has no agency of its own, and everything is the CDC's fault.

How does saying that the CDC is making similar mistakes appear to you to say that the CDC is making the exact same mistakes?

The words similar and exact are in fact not synonyms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gerund posted:

How does saying that the CDC is making similar mistakes appear to you to say that the CDC is making the exact same mistakes?

They are in fact doing the very opposite of what the US admin did during the AIDS crisis, which was to ignore the disease altogether and let it run through the LGBTQ community as much as possible. I'm not disputing that clumsy messaging can result in similar issues in the same community, but the responses themselves are not in fact similar at all.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

As I understand it (and someone correct me if I am wrong) is that the Reagan Administration purposefully didn't do anything because they wanted AIDS to destroy the gay community. So they withheld information, didn't investigate, didn't tell people they might be in danger. Then when it jumped into people who were deemed straight they were forced to do something and also blamed the gay community.

In the 1980s the CDC made errors in communication, again focused on the at risk population of men who have sex with men, and these errors helped provide the foundation for the public perception as a "gay plague" one of the first things the CDC did in response to aids was a study on the disease specifically in homosexual men whose conclusions were that "case-patients tended to be much more sexually active than controls and were more likely to have had other sexually transmitted infections" these studies, their results, and other communications by the CDC allowed the perception to propagate that the risk was exclusive to gay men. There's a pretty straight line between the public perception of the disease as applying only to gay men and the failure to act by the Reagan administration.

So the CDC isn't solely responsible for the public perception of AIDS as a gay plague, and they aren't solely responsible for why people think Monkeypox is an STI, but if any agency in this country should know the terrible risk of linking men-who-have-sex-with-men to an infectious disease, it should be the loving CDC

Kalit posted:

I thought the CDC mostly avoided doing much research/outreach until public pressure finally forced Reagan's hand at the end of his presidency. But that might just be an assumption on my part.

I mean the link you yourself provided is strong evidence of that not being the case, with CDC studies on gay men linking the disease to sexual activity well before the administration had been forced to respond.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 1, 2022

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm not going to shut down monkeypox discussion in USCE as it is absolutely a very current event, but it would certainly be helpful if someone felt motivated to put together an informative monkeypox thread that can be used to keep people up to date on the latest developments. Threads are an essentially limitless resource, go hog wild.
please remember to replant any posts that are harvested for a new thread so future generations have some to

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Kalit posted:

Do you have a good link that summarizes the CDC response to the AIDS crisis? It's kind of hard for me to find on a casual search, I just found this.

That seems to be a good summary. I'd also recommend "And the Band Played On" as a general overview of AIDS and the hovernment's response to it. It talks a bunch about CDC research and outreach, although primarily, CDCwise, about Don Francis's team of epidemiologists who tried to trace the spread of AIDS and were some of the first to suggest it was caused by a virus.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gerund posted:

Yes and

Ciprian Maricon posted:

So the CDC isn't solely responsible for the public perception of AIDS as a gay plague, and they aren't solely responsible for why people think Monkeypox is an STI, but if any agency in this country should know the terrible risk of linking men-who-have-sex-with-men to an infectious disease, it should be the loving CDC

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I mean the link you yourself provided is strong evidence of that not being the case, with CDC studies on gay men linking the disease to sexual activity well before the administration had been forced to respond.

They did some, which is why I stated "avoided doing much research/outreach". I had meant relative to how much effort they should have put into research/outreach for a public health crisis.

Epicurius posted:

That seems to be a good summary. I'd also recommend "And the Band Played On" as a general overview of AIDS and the hovernment's response to it. It talks a bunch about CDC research and outreach, although primarily, CDCwise, about Don Francis's team of epidemiologists who tried to trace the spread of AIDS and were some of the first to suggest it was caused by a virus.

Great, I'll check out that book, thanks!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kalit posted:

Great, I'll check out that book, thanks!

It is incredibly good, and will make you extremely angry.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
The alex jones trail is going about as well as would be expected

https://twitter.com/5DollarFeminist/status/1554177876760662016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i don't think i want to travel down the alex jones trail

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

World Famous W posted:

There are chili stops all along the way. Big bowls o' chili

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

World Famous W posted:

It's like the climate change trail but you are wandering around looking for big bowls of chili yelling DEEP STATE

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/5DollarFeminist/status/1554177876760662016

there's a very enjoyable rubbernecking thread in gbs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008312

and RGD's knowledge fight thread is of course supplemental material: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990450&pagenumber=39#lastpost

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

I'll answer this as though it's being asked in good faith: it's impossible to say. We have no way of knowing when a virus will mutate, and particularly when it will mutate in ways that create problems for existing treatments and prevention methods.

But to use covid as an example, the vaccines are still effective against the delta and omicron variants. Breakthrough infections have become more common with the new variants, but vaccinated people are still well-protected against getting seriously ill. Which is what we actually care about.

Thank you for responding in good faith.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Aye, and while we certainly have homophobes, we simply shout them down instead of pretending maybe it’s our fault they’re hateful because we didn’t phrase things properly.

Wait, so if I want to not experience homophobia any more I should simply shout them down? drat I never knew it was that easy, I've been getting homophobic abuse for years when I didn't have to! That's so embarrassing, for me

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

some plague rats posted:

Wait, so if I want to not experience homophobia any more I should simply shout them down? drat I never knew it was that easy, I've been getting homophobic abuse for years when I didn't have to! That's so embarrassing, for me

No, it's a sickness in society. Your neighbours and friends and countrymen should shout them down.

I live in basically the bible belt of Canada, and we recently had a local businessman implode his own business overnight by spewing some homophobic QAnon poo poo, because the community, even as conservative as it is, did not and will not tolerate that. It must not be tolerated. It's not the responsibility of the person receiving hatred to stand against it; rather, it is the responsibility of society as a whole to make clear such behaviour will be condemned at great personal cost to those who would engage in it.

We had a client at work who made homophobic remarks. We told him: this is your one warning and there won't be a second, don't ever say that poo poo here again or you will be told to leave and never come back. You can do that! It's within everyone's power to make society completely intolerable for homophobes.

I just don't understand what y'all have going on down there, I really don't. I try to, but it makes no sense to me.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 1, 2022

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
If you don't understand it maybe just believe people who tell you what it's like.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PT6A posted:

I just don't understand what y'all have going on down there, I really don't.

Yeah that's pretty clear. That anecdote in your post absolutely would not end like that in a conservative area of the US. The client would be clapped on the back and continued to be sucked up to in many places, because there are more homophobes the conservative identity is much more tied up with social shibboleths here moreso than any sort of consistent policies or ideologies.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
If you're in a place or business where reactionaries have a substantial majority, making a big fuss about homophobic remarks or whatever might well put you at more risk than the bigot. Source: am Texan

speng31b
May 8, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you're in a place or business where reactionaries have a substantial majority, making a big fuss about homophobic remarks or whatever might well put you at more risk than the bigot. Source: am Texan

In the given example it would also put the business owner and whichever employees who probably work for them that someone is expecting to enforce against the bigoted behavior at risk. Also Texan. Private businesses telling people to alter their offensive or dangerous behavior is the ultimate trigger for some people around here.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

uh oh

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1554221430060904449?s=20&t=U2GF_hKkPu78i-ZiR-tJFw

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haha… yes!! Hahaha!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Trump couldn't decide which Eric to endorse so he went with the chaos option as always.

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1554227979168976898

what's funnier is how predictable the chaos is at this point.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
That trial has bounced between completely infuriating and mind-blowing hilarity at a break-neck pace.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Trump couldn't decide which Eric to endorse so he went with the chaos option as always.

This is the only time in his life that Trump has shown any amount of faith in someone named Eric.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
I just voted in the MA democratic primary. The only races that felt remotely interesting to me were lieutenant governor and attorney general. I voted for Eric Lesser for lieutenant governor because he promised to fight for the representation of Western Massachusetts, and Shannon Liss-Riordan for attorney general because she very deliberately focused her campaign around the strength of unions. If any other massholes come across this post please let me know your thoughts.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

No, it's a sickness in society. Your neighbours and friends and countrymen should shout them down.

I live in basically the bible belt of Canada, and we recently had a local businessman implode his own business overnight by spewing some homophobic QAnon poo poo, because the community, even as conservative as it is, did not and will not tolerate that. It must not be tolerated. It's not the responsibility of the person receiving hatred to stand against it; rather, it is the responsibility of society as a whole to make clear such behaviour will be condemned at great personal cost to those who would engage in it.

We had a client at work who made homophobic remarks. We told him: this is your one warning and there won't be a second, don't ever say that poo poo here again or you will be told to leave and never come back. You can do that! It's within everyone's power to make society completely intolerable for homophobes.

I just don't understand what y'all have going on down there, I really don't. I try to, but it makes no sense to me.

So your solution to this societal problem is... to be living somewhere that it's already solved. Incredible.

I mean:

PT6A posted:

You can do that! It's within everyone's power to make society completely intolerable for homophobes.

How, exactly. What do you suggest we do, as individuals, who do not have the backing of our community because that community is largely homophobic.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ellasmith posted:

I just voted in the MA democratic primary. The only races that felt remotely interesting to me were lieutenant governor and attorney general. I voted for Eric Lesser for lieutenant governor because he promised to fight for the representation of Western Massachusetts, and Shannon Liss-Riordan for attorney general because she very deliberately focused her campaign around the strength of unions. If any other massholes come across this post please let me know your thoughts.

I feel like its mostly a good group no matter what. I am trying decide between Liss-Riordan and Campbell for AG. I am also having a hard time between Tanisha Sullivan and Galvin because while Galvin dragged his feet on early vote Sullivan has lacked specifics about she wants to change.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Mooseontheloose posted:

I feel like its mostly a good group no matter what. I am trying decide between Liss-Riordan and Campbell for AG. I am also having a hard time between Tanisha Sullivan and Galvin because while Galvin dragged his feet on early vote Sullivan has lacked specifics about she wants to change.

That was my main complaint with her. She seemed like a platitudes type candidate, which isn't enough to get me to dump a long timer.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Predictit is currently burning to the ground because there were bets on who Trump would endorse and this is obviously going to a ridiculous tiebreaker.

e also that is a respectable called shot

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
lmfao

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

ramp me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

your missing that the eric he wants to endorse is the wife beater that got charged with campaign corruption that literally is the worst possible choice for the gop in the race, we are taking an aitkin level bad candidate. Surprisingly just as bad a choice as walker and oz are. And hopefully vance ( I dream that we take portmans seat and I can cackle at the fuckers in the state house that let it happen.)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Looks like the us military killed Zawahri, who's been #1 in al qaeda for many years. Biden will undoubtedly try and make this into UBL 2.0

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Looks like the us military killed Zawahri, who's been #1 in al qaeda for many years. Biden will undoubtedly try and make this into UBL 2.0

They'll play it as a major security win, but for them to begin to try and spin it as UBL 2.0 they'd have to get over the massive hurdle of every american going "who?" when the name is mentioned. Biden's tone deaf to attempt it, maybe, but I don't think the staff will go along with quite that level of door-kicking.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I don't know what ran though Trump's brain to make him chose the chaos option, but I am *highly* entertained.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Twincityhacker posted:

I don't know what ran though Trump's brain to make him chose the chaos option, but I am *highly* entertained.

Both checks cleared, most likely.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

There are reports that the Taliban have known where he was, at least since re-taking Kabul a year ago. The Taliban are upset that this drone strike was done without their approval.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ryde posted:

That trial has bounced between completely infuriating and mind-blowing hilarity at a break-neck pace.

I'm oscillating between incandescent fury at what Alex Jones callously did to these poor parents and grim consolation that his defense is utterly incompetent and he's not rich or powerful enough to be immune to laws like many shithead monsters of his caliber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OAquinas posted:

They'll play it as a major security win, but for them to begin to try and spin it as UBL 2.0 they'd have to get over the massive hurdle of every american going "who?" when the name is mentioned. Biden's tone deaf to attempt it, maybe, but I don't think the staff will go along with quite that level of door-kicking.

Right now they're running on "Hey, we didn't kill any innocent bystanders this time!" as their major win from the operation more than anything. And that's probably got like at least 24 hours before it comes out that like half the block this guy lived on is now also dead alongside him or something.

This is probably more some kind of roundabout performative dick waving directed at China to try and discourage them form doing anything to Nancy Pelosi if she does in fact pull her crazy senile renegade grandma act and actually land in Taiwan in the next few days.