Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So I have a 10 gallon that I left for a couple weeks to cycle while I was on vacation I've loaded it with 5 neon tetras, 5 ghost shrimp and a mystery snail. When I first dumped them in, the tetras schooled, but the next day they are scattered and one in particular seems to be harassing the others. What do I do? Will he chill out with time? I was planning on throwing a betta in there, but that seems like a bad idea with him being this aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

RodShaft posted:

So I have a 10 gallon that I left for a couple weeks to cycle while I was on vacation I've loaded it with 5 neon tetras, 5 ghost shrimp and a mystery snail. When I first dumped them in, the tetras schooled, but the next day they are scattered and one in particular seems to be harassing the others. What do I do? Will he chill out with time? I was planning on throwing a betta in there, but that seems like a bad idea with him being this aggressive.

More neons. 6 is the min for a school, so get like 4 more.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

More neons. 6 is the min for a school, so get like 4 more.

Ah. They told me 3 was the minimum so I got 5. Will 9 be too many with the betta, shrimp and snail?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

RodShaft posted:

Ah. They told me 3 was the minimum so I got 5. Will 9 be too many with the betta, shrimp and snail?

I would not think so, but keep an eye on the betta tail; people like to remember that piranha are voracious hunters, but piranha are tetras; they all can be fin nippers and have tiny sharp teeth. A school of neons can do damage if they get hungry or curious.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Ghost Shrimp will also go after Betta fins and Betta's will go after Ghost Shrimp. It's a less than ideal combo.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

Ghost Shrimp will also go after Betta fins and Betta's will go after Ghost Shrimp. It's a less than ideal combo.

Well crap. I got this combo off of some video I watched. What would be a better bottom level of the shrimp don't work out? Or I guess a better centerpiece. Bear in mind there's 3 pet stores here and they all barely keep any fish in. Like I got the only 5 ghost shrimp in town that existed delivery day and this was the first time any had neon tetras when I've checked over the past month-ish.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I forgot the ghost shrimp.

Also be aware that those bags of water are called ghost shrimp but tons of species can wear the name. I once had a "ghost shrimp" that turned out to be some kind of prawn. Killed several of my fish before I figured it out. Little bastard went to a friend's tank with Malawi cichlids. Where he got at least one of them too.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I would not think so, but keep an eye on the betta tail; people like to remember that piranha are voracious hunters, but piranha are tetras; they all can be fin nippers and have tiny sharp teeth. A school of neons can do damage if they get hungry or curious.

I watched in horror a few years ago when a keyhole cichlid fry strayed too far from mom and dad and got devoured by......a neon tetra.

Ugh. Return of the mystery parasite in my 55g.

Anyone have any ideas? He only has a couple spots. It looks like ich, but with a tail. None of the black tetras have any. Neither of the angelfish do right now, but I have seen them on the bigger one in the past. It's never more than 1 or 2 spots at time.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 30, 2022

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Could the tails be tiny streamers of slimecoat from the irritation that parasite is causing? It really looks like its sitting on top of the skin of the fish and not "in" the fish if that makes sense. A bit like epistylis really.

It's been a bit rainy lately so I decided it was a good time to release the last of my garden snail juveniles to the garden, to reclaim the tank and set it up again for something else. I hadn't been able to get styrofoam or EVA foam when I set that shelf up so instead I used a roll of yoga mat, some kind of gummier soft marshmellowy springy foam. Turns out this was a terrible idea because even the weight of a dry tank with a couple of ornaments, some damp coco coir substrate and 15 snails was heavy enough to adhere the base of the tank extremely firmly to the foam. I managed to wrench the tank up and away but it left half of the rim of the tank behind! I think I'll have to check all the seams and maybe reseal it AGAIN after that.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I knocked over a rock cleaning a tank and squished a cardinalfish. I know this kind of poo poo happens, but I still feel awful.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah poo poo that sucks! One of your bangaiis?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I watched in horror a few years ago when a keyhole cichlid fry strayed too far from mom and dad and got devoured by......a neon tetra.

Ugh. Return of the mystery parasite in my 55g.

Anyone have any ideas? He only has a couple spots. It looks like ich, but with a tail. None of the black tetras have any. Neither of the angelfish do right now, but I have seen them on the bigger one in the past. It's never more than 1 or 2 spots at time.

Hole in the head?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 31, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I knocked over a rock cleaning a tank and squished a cardinalfish. I know this kind of poo poo happens, but I still feel awful.

I"m so terrified of doing this in my saltwater tanks. That and siphoning up something. Really sorry for your loss.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Hole in the head?

I've dealt with HITH before with Oscars and an Angelfish and I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on here. There are no pits. Just every few weeks/months, the larger cichlids in the tank get a couple of these ich-like bumps, never more than 3 at a time, and the tetras are never afflicted.

Stoca Zola posted:

Could the tails be tiny streamers of slimecoat from the irritation that parasite is causing? It really looks like its sitting on top of the skin of the fish and not "in" the fish if that makes sense. A bit like epistylis really.

That could be. Especially since not all of the bumps have the tails.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Put together a 450 gallon above ground pond for father's day. It is about 6' x 5' x 2' deep

Above ground pond still doing good, water clarity isn't crystal clear but pretty close

First image, those orange things are goldfish

Second image, is about half of my school of 12 golden topminnows

I have about 100 1" plastic bio sponge balls placed ~near my pump in two bags, as well as 2x 1lb ceramic rings at the bottom of the pond, and the filter/pump combo has about half as many incorporated into it, plus a UV filter.

Pretty happy with how clear the water is. Probably helps that it's under a great big tree and 80% shaded most of the day, 95% shaded the rest of the time

Currently 3x 3.5" goldfish, 12x 1-2" (full grown) golden topminnows

Thinking about adding another three or four 2-3" goldfish? Pond is about 300-450gal depending on how much water is in it

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 31, 2022

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

So update on my five neon tetras. I went camping overnight and came back and there were only four neon tetras. The bully has mysteriously disappeared and the other four are schooling together.

Are there other tetras that neon tetras will school with. Because It's not easy to find neon Tetras in my town for some reason. I think the stores had black and green tetras last time I was there.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Tetras tend to be stand offish and only school with their own species (in my experience anyway). If you are having trouble getting neons, glowlight tetras might fit the bill for a small fish that sits in a similar spot in the water column.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Stoca Zola posted:

Tetras tend to be stand offish and only school with their own species (in my experience anyway). If you are having trouble getting neons, glowlight tetras might fit the bill for a small fish that sits in a similar spot in the water column.

I'll hit the stores today and hopefully one of them has some in and I can get them up to like 8 or 9 for the school.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

If you are in the US I strongly suggest buying online, online stores tend to have better stock that is more locally/ethically bred. You might have to set up e-mail alerts and wait for what you want. I LOVE this company (disclaimer: I have sold stuff to them, not unbiased):

https://aquaticarts.com/

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

If you are in the US I strongly suggest buying online, online stores tend to have better stock that is more locally/ethically bred. You might have to set up e-mail alerts and wait for what you want. I LOVE this company (disclaimer: I have sold stuff to them, not unbiased):

https://aquaticarts.com/

How do you sell to them?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

How do you sell to them?

You breed something they want/need/don't have and contact them. They send you a UPS label, you box it up and mail it, and then once they have it they will give you special attention such as store credit, holding things you want until you can make up a decent order, and adding extras to orders etc.

This is my autistically bred high quality MTS for example (I sent them enough to breed them in house. They apparently had some already without noticing, but I got some of theirs and the genetics suck lol).

https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-snails/products/malaysian-trumpet-snail

They are a good company to buy from, they are a great company to sell to.

If you breed anything they'll probably take them off your hands and do right by you.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 1, 2022

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

They sent me a bunch of their line of MTS for free along with an order so I could improve the genetics of my line of MTS so I could send them even higher quality in the future.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I have a Fish Mystery (Fishtery) to solve. I've been struggling to keep Ember Tetras alive in my 15g tank. This last weekend we lost two in a 24 hour span and I have no idea why. Notable parameters:

KH/GH were both about 20, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates are all 0. pH is 7. This isn't a new cycle, this tank has been running for about a year (though there was a cycle stall and a nitrite spike about 3 months ago). Temperature is set to 78.

Tank is a 15g Fluval Flex, planted tank with some simple beginner plants (cryptocorynes, java ferns, ludwigia repens, dwarf hairgrass, rotala). These plants were pruned approximately six days before the first death. The most recent water change was also six days prior, the same day the plants were trimmed. The next water change was later that day.

We are currently battling a trumpet snail infestation, but we're doing manual removal of the snails to fight it. The only chemicals that I use on the tank are Flourish Excel to manage algae and Prime to dechlorinate the water.

Any ideas? Was it just bad luck that two died of natural causes or am I missing something?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The smaller Tetras tend to be finicky and really LOVE a super well established tank. That said, I think your pH is a little on the high end for them? Start tossing in a Cappatta Leaf or Alder Cones or any of the other wood/leaves that will lower pH (bannana, bamboo, cinnamon, etc, there are a LOT of options). Most of them will provide a slow and steady pH lowering effect along with antimicrobal qualities.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

I have no issues keeping embers in a 7.8-8ph range, but temp is slightly lower at 76 and the tank is heavily planted.

How long had you had the tetras prior to the loss? Could it be stress from the source having different parameters and they're struggling to adapt to the new parameters?

I had this happen when I first tried embers because my LFS was using a RODI mix and I use municipal.

All that said, I've had great success with the AquaticArts embers.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

candystarlight posted:

I have no issues keeping embers in a 7.8-8ph range, but temp is slightly lower at 76 and the tank is heavily planted.

How long had you had the tetras prior to the loss? Could it be stress from the source having different parameters and they're struggling to adapt to the new parameters?

I had this happen when I first tried embers because my LFS was using a RODI mix and I use municipal.

All that said, I've had great success with the AquaticArts embers.

These tetras were (mostly) from after the tank stall back in May, so they've been in the tank for about 2.5 months. We did lose two the first week after we got them (I assume to parameter shock), but the rest were fine until now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'd guess my goldfish have, I dunno, not doubled in length, but sure seems like they've doubled in volume in the last six weeks. Definitely 3" long moving up to 4"

I put in 5 dwarf crayfish, I haven't seen them since they went in, I think largely because they camouflage perfectly against the black pond liner. With four goldfish what are the chances they ate all of them? There's some ground cover, a couple fake plants, a brick tunnel and some bags of filter medium and left over plant pots but it's not super significant, nothing like a reef

Put in 10 cherry shrimp, the goldfish mostly ignore the shrimp but my topminnows pay close attention if they stray too close. Probably just really expensive fish food

Thinking I need to build a better reef out of some leftover bricks, provide cover where the fish can't reach them? Or just accept that shrimp and crayfish won't survive in this pond

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I"m so terrified of doing this in my saltwater tanks. That and siphoning up something. Really sorry for your loss.

*monkeys paw curls, instead of accidentally injuring a pet while cleaning you merely discover the proverbial mother of all polychaete stowaways, and it eats you in the first documented case of human death-by-bristle-worm

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Hadlock posted:

I'd guess my goldfish have, I dunno, not doubled in length, but sure seems like they've doubled in volume in the last six weeks. Definitely 3" long moving up to 4"

I put in 5 dwarf crayfish, I haven't seen them since they went in, I think largely because they camouflage perfectly against the black pond liner. With four goldfish what are the chances they ate all of them? There's some ground cover, a couple fake plants, a brick tunnel and some bags of filter medium and left over plant pots but it's not super significant, nothing like a reef

Put in 10 cherry shrimp, the goldfish mostly ignore the shrimp but my topminnows pay close attention if they stray too close. Probably just really expensive fish food

Thinking I need to build a better reef out of some leftover bricks, provide cover where the fish can't reach them? Or just accept that shrimp and crayfish won't survive in this pond

Maybe? If there's good cover they're probably just hunkered down. If the goldfish aren't interested in the shrimp, they're probably not munching in the pinchier crayfish. You would definitely want to give them a shelter.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I ran into an interesting problem with my little preformed pond this week: we had strong winds and after it was all over there was only 2 inches of water left in the pond. My best guess is one of the tiers of the mini water fall had a drop distance that was too high and the wind just blew the water away before it made it back into the main pond. I’ve adjusted it to be much lower and that’s something I will have to watch out for next time.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Learning the hard way over here too. I got a reminder of the necessity of shade for the patio tub. Got a bit too hot and some of the guppies cooked. And learned the hard way to use tools or gloves, and not just grab out the dead fish with my bare hands. Whole evening spent going back to scrub the stank off my hands repeatedly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How hardy are rice fish

From YouTube kind of looks like people keep them in pots on their roof in full sun, get kind of sluggish when the pond water starts to ice over but bounce right back? Seems like the ideal fish pond fish

Edit: my summertime pond water temp seems to be 75-82F

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 5, 2022

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’m looking at rice fish too, medaka seem very suitable for unheated ponds as Seriously Fish has them listed as temperate to sub-tropical fish. They prefer it cooler overall so I think they’d do well in my bigger pond once that’s done, I think the smaller one will get too hot in summer. Daisy’s rice fish seem more tropical and better suited as an aquarium fish, I quite like their red fins and I wonder if they would do well with my mix of small rasboras. Still too cold and shipping too unreliable here to order any new fish in so I’m waiting until spring for milder temperatures. But to be fair, rice fish would probably be fine, it’s not like there’s frosts here. I think they don’t mind a bit of seasonal warmth either, a natural cycle of warm and cool isn’t as much of a problem as too warm all the time.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of my dwarf water lilies bloomed.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Despite me doing what I thought would work . Still had an ammonia spike when I put those fish in. I lost three of 10 tetras before I got it under control. I did 250% water changes 2 days apart, used bottled bacteria and some ammonia neutralizing powder "safe by seachem" that smells like rotten eggs.

Everything seems good now, and it's amazing how much more active the shrimp are. Like I could totally be totally happy with just a shrimp tank because these guys are entertaining as all get out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Maintained the tank yesterday and it looks great but... there's nerite eggs everywhere, I'm not going to go in and try to remove them because it's pointless. Kinda takes the fun away from wanting to share photos when it looks like someone dumped sesame seeds in! My tank is primarily for the inhabitants (now just 2 amano shrimp which are both over 3 years old, and a nerite snail I got 8 months ago or so) and not for me so I consider it a successful tank if it's denizens have their needs met.

DC to Daylight posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of my dwarf water lilies bloomed.

Wow holy poo poo that's beautiful.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 5, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is it particularly stressful to net fish and move them to a separate tank for ~8 hours (using the water from the original tank)

I need to drain my pond 50-80% to do some structural work on it, there's enough water I think the fish would be fine in the remaining 70-100 gallons, but mildly concerned about slurping up a curious fish or two with the hose I'm gonna use to siphon out most of the water

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

What are you using to stop them getting sucked into the filter pump? If they aren't getting sucked into the filter, can you use that to pump the water out?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's just a great big all in one pond pump, filter and uv thing

I guess I can throw a sock over it with a couple rubber bands

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

This fat gently caress keeps eating 90% of the food when I feed my fish. Will he eventually knock it off or will he just eventually explode?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

RodShaft posted:

This fat gently caress keeps eating 90% of the food when I feed my fish. Will he eventually knock it off or will he just eventually explode?

Get him an account he's ready for sea spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Hello! I'm a new betta owner and I'm stuck on two things related to feeding.

1) When I bought my betta from the aquarium supply store (they had it in a nice ~5 gallon jug with tannins, not just a small bowl) I also bought some refrigerated pellet food. The instructions on the food are "Feed as much as your fish can eat in 2 minutes" which ????? So I asked for clarification and was told to feed the betta four pellets a day. However every betta care guide I'm finding are saying it's four pellets twice a day. Which is correct?

2) My fish does not come to the top when I put in food. He also doesn't seem to notice when food is in the tank. He definitely eats it when he eventually sees it, but should I be worried? Whenever I've seen fish owners feed, the fish all eagerly came up to the top.

Here's a picture of my pretty fish from before I rearranged his tank to include some hollowed out rocks to hide in in the unplanted area:

I named him Nebula and he always swims up to me and shows off when I sit down. He'll also go to the live plants in his tank and snuggle up against them like a cat leaving its scent it's the cutest thing :shobon: