Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for talking about my vagina to my male roommate

quote:

I (25f) am not on great terms with my vagina. I've struggled with recurring infections for about a year now. Something that really helped me get things under control however is a lactic acid supplement that I take every other day. It comes in a powder form and you dissolve it in water, wait for a minute and then drink it on an empty stomach.

About a week ago I had just mixed the supplement with water and had the glass sitting on the counter while I was preparing my breakfast. My roommate (21m) came into the kitchen and asked about the mysterious liquid in the jar. I replied that it's a supplement for gut and vaginal health that I take regularly. He seemed a bit confused but said "ok" and continued doing whatever he was doing in the kitchen.
Yesterday I was again preparing breakfast with the supplement sitting on the counter when the same roommate entered the kitchen again. He noticed the glass and said I should start taking the supplement in my room instead of the kitchen since that makes him think about my vagina. Apparently he thought it was invasive that I told him what specifically I was taking the supplement for. I told him that I'd continue preparing it in the kitchen and that I was also storing my tampons relatively openly in the bathroom so he should be aware of the fact that I have a vagina anyways.

Now I'm not stupid - I get that it's kind of direct to say my supplement is for vaginal health. I do also think however that we shouldn't continue stigmatizing talking about that sort of stuff. Vaginas are an organ like any other and I don't think anyone would care if I had said the supplement was just for gut health only. It's not like I started talking about my history of vaginal infections in great detail when he asked about the supplement so I don't think it was invasive or that I shouldn't consume it openly anymore. He did seem pretty uncomfortable however - so AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Soylent Pudding posted:

Lmao what the gently caress is wrong with boys.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Somebody told me they have a headache and now I can't stop thinking about their head help me reddit

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs3OWJ53rHE

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Soylent Pudding posted:

That one got me, reddit had me ready for someone going into too much detail about medical stuff to an uninvolved person, but dude's just a dumb weenie.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

When I was 21 I pretty much thought about vaginas non stop

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Does he know she drinks it? Like, does he think she's leaving some mysterious enema/douche juice sitting around in a jar in the kitchen?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It doesn’t matter. Most birth control is taken orally but guys still flip out at the sight of it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It doesn’t matter. Most birth control is taken orally but guys still flip out at the sight of it.

i dont get that one at all. but then i didnt have an accidental kid until i was 40 and it was very not-accidental and planned with my wife.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my brother that girls avoid him because he says creepy things, not because he’s a “misunderstood soul” like my mom insists?

quote:

So I (21F) have a younger brother who is 18 and is starting to show serious interest in relationships. He’s honestly a sweet kid but oftentimes he just says weird things that come across as…well, weird. I guess this is OK on a day to day but it definitely doesn’t make his dating life easier.

Example: One time we went to a beach party and he started chatting with a girl. She clearly seemed interested and engaged. Fyi this girl was short and petite, and my brother told her that she’s so “tiny” and “helpless”. He then said that it would be easy to abduct her and that she can fit in his bag. Now I know him and I know he’s not being intentionally creepy, but he doesn’t quite get that some things just sound weird when you say them out loud. The girl just did a nervous fake chuckle and never came back lol.

A few days ago we went to a café and met a girl. They ended up exchanging numbers and he excitedly told me they were texting. Yesterday he came to me all depressed and showed me their text exchange. TL;DR earlier that day she told him that she’s not a fan of scary movies bc she gets easily spooked. Later on she asked if he wanted to hang out this weekend. He jokingly told her that he’d sneak into her room at night when she least expects it and make her “scream”. He didn’t think it was creepy at all and only noticed something was up when she never responded to that text.

So he’s been pretty bummed out ever since and moping about all day. I honestly told him that he needs to stop saying creepy things if he wants girls to stick around. I told him that he’s a big & tall guy and not a little boy so that just ups the creep factor of anything he says. He got very defensive and hurt and said he’s not creepy. When my mom found out she defended him and said that it’s “awful” of me to label him a creep. She said that he’s just a “misunderstood soul” and that I could’ve used a little more tact instead of insulting him.

I turned to my brother and explained again that he’s not a misunderstood soul in other girls’ eyes, he’s a guy who says creepy things. He got upset and didn’t say much after that.

AITA?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
r/relationships: I am not on great terms with my vagina.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my brother that girls avoid him because he says creepy things, not because he’s a “misunderstood soul” like my mom insists?

Young Dennis Reynolds show coming on great it seems

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

AceClown posted:

Young Dennis Reynolds show coming on great it seems

Bet it'd be better than Young Sheldon.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
He is so lucky to have a sister like that willing to set him straight.

Actually, so are the rest of us.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Soylent Pudding posted:

hey maybe don't teach this rapey motherfucker how not to scare off his prey

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Sister shouldn't have to explain why what he says is creepy, but maybe that would be more effective than just saying it's creepy, if he's actually willing to listen? Hopefully he's not already a lost cause. It's over, the second the incels get to him.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

lobsterminator posted:

Boyfriend won’t stop telling me I have B.O.

My husband just said something very hurtful to me, and I don't know if I'm overreacting.

quote:

So, ever since I got pregnant, I've become increasingly self-conscious about how much I smell. This is probably from a combination of an increasingly acute sense of smell, body odor from excessive sweating, difficulties bathing every part of my body, some *ahem* toots every now and then, etc. Basically, I'm always worried that other people are going to smell me and realize how much I stink, so I'm constantly embarrassed to go out in public or near any group of people. No one had seemed to notice anything thus far, so I've managed to convince myself that it's all in my head.

However, a few minutes ago I was walking past our living room where my husband was sitting, and I heard him say: "God, you stink!" I was shocked, so much that I couldn't respond. It may be the hormones, but I instantly started crying and fled to my room, where I've pretty much been held up ever since. He hasn't come by to check on my, so I don't know what he was thinking. He may have conceived it as a joke, but he normally doesn't make "mean" jokes like that to me, so this is kind of out of nowhere. He's usually a very kind, loving man who would never say anything hurtful to me, even jokingly. I assumed that even if he did think that I stunk, he would never say anything out loud. So this is completely out of the blue.

I'm not sure why I'm even posting here. I guess I'm just hormotional and embarrassed, and wanted to vent. Does anyone think I'm overreacting to this? I don't know if I should say anything to him or not, or if he'll think I'm crazy for getting so upset over one offhand comment.

UPDATE:

quote:

So, I mentioned a little while ago that I heard my husband say "God you stink" when I walked passed him earlier today. I was sitting in my room crying when he finally came to check on he. He asked me what was wrong, and I told him he had said I stunk earlier, and it hurt my feelings. He looks confused and denies ever saying such a thing. I tell him I definitely heard it when I was walking passed him in the living room. He thinks for a minute, then gets a wide-eyed look on his face.

It turns out, because my back was turned to him at the time, I didn't notice that our dog was actually on his lap and licking his face when he said it. Apparently the dog had some pretty bad breath today, so when he said "God you stink," he was directing it at our dog, not me.

So, I feel pretty stupid now. But, on the plus side, my husband was so mortified that he inadvertently made me sad, he went to the store to get me an ice cream cake. Still feel pretty stupid though. Oh well.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Awwwwwww :shobon:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for refusing to be present at my sister's birth?

quote:

I (21F) have a sister (27F, Liv) who will be giving birth in a couple weeks I guess and she's doing a home birth. She has made elaborate plans for her labour and is excited for the process, I'm also excited for her too but honestly it seems a little scary to me. I've unfortunately seen my mom's labour footage, it was not a good experience (😭) I was legit traumatised.

Now the thing is that Liv wants to be surrounded by family while labouring. By family I mean; her husband and a few female family members from both sides. Her SIL is coming and from our side, mom will be there. When the conversation came up the other day, she totally just casually said that we'll get her through it. I told her that I was not going to be there because I'm not sure if I would be able to stay calm seeing her agitated and ofcourse witnessing the bloody miracle of birth. She was surprised that I was saying such a thing. I tried to reason with her and said that I'll support her in every other way, like cooking or cleaning her house but I just don't want to be there when she's all screaming and the baby's coming out.

She got super angry, and lectured me on how I was ruining her perfect labour plan and then mom also got on my back that I was being squeamish for no reason. Liv then got super emotional and mom tried to calm her down and gestured for me to leave which I did.

I understand that Liv is emotional ofcourse because she's just about to give birth but i really don't think I'll be a stable person during that process, it's better that I come after. I have no problem in taking care of her and ofcourse I'll love the baby so much after its born. But I just can't stop feeling so guilty for saying no to Liv and ofcourse she became quite stressed because of my refusal.

So reddit, AITA?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHIXduEbLz0

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
childbirth is gross and overrated. why anyone on earth wants a mirror, or to touch the head during crowning or any of that poo poo is beyond me. the best analogy i have heard is a wet st bernard crushing through the cat door.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

run on sentience posted:

Sister shouldn't have to explain why what he says is creepy, but maybe that would be more effective than just saying it's creepy, if he's actually willing to listen? Hopefully he's not already a lost cause. It's over, the second the incels get to him.

On the other hand, it's probably better that the brother doesn't know he's being creepy. If he realizes, the women he's interacting with may not get a warning sign until it's too late.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

On the other hand, it's probably better that the brother doesn't know he's being creepy. If he realizes, the women he's interacting with may not get a warning sign until it's too late.

Yeah but he might be the kind of guy who gets a broken brain from rejection and goes on a shooting spree, Too bad his sister didn't catch this
earlier, he probably was learning some of this creepy behavior from his equally creepy adolescent friends who find this speech funny.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I guess that depends on if you think the brother is someone who would actually be harmful to someone he dated. It seems like the sister thinks he isn't.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
He's a teenager with a bad sense of humor who doesn't yet know that strange women are going to view him as a potential threat. It doesn't sound like he's doing any other weird stuff about women.

Hopefully the sister will tell him why women find those jokes creepy and he'll learn something, but he doesn't sound dangerous.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

It must be kind of a dismaying realisation for an adolescent boy to discover he's gone from 'cute little guy, tyke, little fella' to 'adult man who is possibly dangerous to me'.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

I guess that depends on if you think the brother is someone who would actually be harmful to someone he dated. It seems like the sister thinks he isn't.

Honestly, I sympathize with the guy. I imagine he is just me turned up to 11. I remember a few years back when I was playing with my daughter in a playground. A lady walked up to us and complimented how cute we look together. For some idiotic reason, I went into a spiel how my daughter is so cute that I'm afraid someone would kidnap her. That lady just turned around and walked away really fast.

I do have an excuse in that when i was a kid, my mom would regularly warn us that we were in real danger of being kidnapped (there was a rash of high profile kidnappings in Asia at that time). I do have an irrational (or maybe rational) fear that someone will kidnap my kids.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

yeah they couldn't possibly have closed it because the entire subreddit was gleefully dunking on a wannabe techbro

Normally I'd agree, but they have actually been getting really attentive with that particular rule lately. There was a story where you had to do the math to realize the couple got together when the wife was super young and they nuked it too.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Soylent Pudding posted:

:eyepop:

i hope that brother can get set straight because he sounds like a serial killer in the making... maybe they gotta do a google slides or something on How Not To Be a Creep

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Soylent Pudding posted:

As a man I am hesitant to ever make suggestions for a woman's birth plan but having tons of people there while you poop/pee/push a child out seems absolutely horrific and I definitely don't want someone there that feels they cant handle it due to being squeamish.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Soylent Pudding posted:

what THE gently caress is a vagina?!

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Hughlander posted:

My husband just said something very hurtful to me, and I don't know if I'm overreacting.

UPDATE:

lol, this is literally a romcom misunderstanding

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Goon Boots posted:

what THE gently caress is a vagina?!

what is the sound of one hand clapping?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

DeeplyConcerned posted:

what is the sound of one hand clapping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UyP6-q8SJs

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

sounds like he should just be euthanized now before he can do any harm

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sounds like he should just be euthanized now before he can do any harm

Settle down there Mr Adams, have a dilburrito and relax a minute.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for threatening to cancel my wedding because my family were making bets on how long it would take my fiancé to regret marrying me?

quote:

My wedding is supposed to be at the end of this month but I’m planning to cancel everything and have a courthouse wedding because my cousin told me my family were making bets on how long it would take my fiancé to realise he wasn’t getting the “good little wife” he was expecting and regret marrying me.

When I confronted them, they said it was just a harmless joke and that I didn’t have the personality to be a submissive housewife which a man like my fiancé would obviously want. My sister-in-law made a joke about making sure my fiancé didn’t realise until after the wedding while I was confronting them.

I was already upset but her joke just made it 10x worse and I told everybody I was going to cancel the wedding. My family told me I couldn’t do that because people would talk and my future in-laws wouldn’t be happy about it but I told them I didn’t care and they could tell everybody why I never had a wedding ceremony.

My parents are telling me not to cancel the wedding as I would regret it in the long run and it would be embarrassing for our family and me for it to be cancelled now but I’m not backing down.

AITA?
:psyduck:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s the point where you collude with a relative to schedule a fake breakup and keep up the facade long enough to receive and split the payout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for threatening to cancel my wedding because my family were making bets on how long it would take my fiancé to regret marrying me?

:psyduck:

OP says she talked with her fiance about this, btw, and he said it's up to her, he doesn't care how they get married.

I'd say have the wedding and don't invite them, but she says they will 100% show up anyway if she does this. And I guess not everyone wants a probable scene at their wedding with security. What a bunch of dickbags her family are.