Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Postman posted:

i'm what they call a real "nintendo head"

Oh yeah? Name every Mario game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
how is the kotor 2 port? i saw the game breaking crash has been fixed but i am wary for obvious reasons. but i want to play the best star wars game again.

e: also they've not put the restored content in yet right? that's coming later?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

how is the kotor 2 port? i saw the game breaking crash has been fixed but i am wary for obvious reasons. but i want to play the best star wars game again.

good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It is illegal to own a Switch and not have Breath of the Wild, so you should probably get on that

What if i used to own it but then sold it back

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

:cheers:

e: apparently you need to start a new save to access the restored content whenever that's coming so i'm gonna hold off but still good info for the future

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The butthole av guy was caremad about it which I can only conclude means it loving owns.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The best reason to get a Switch, besides the first party games or exclusives, and the handheld functionality, is if you have young kids. Nintendo is great at parental controls and storefront security, no in-app purchases, and the Online experience is so poorly implemented you don't need to even worry about it. The first party games are almost always appropriate for any age and are fun for everyone to play.

My home office is in a basement with an open layout, so the Switch is in the same shared space. When I have a meeting and a kid wants to play Switch, they can just take it away in handheld mode and everyone is happy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mandatory lesbian posted:

Same

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

:cheers:

e: apparently you need to start a new save to access the restored content whenever that's coming so i'm gonna hold off but still good info for the future

I wouldn’t be shocked if that never comes out at this rate seeing as how they’re apparently completely hosed with the remake of 1

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

Legislation is pending to add this exception, contact your representative

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Squiggly posted:

Just bought a switch this weekend to play Odyssey, but with only about 300 moons left I'm already looking at what game to buy next

Always wanted to play Monster Hunter, is the community still alive? Any trouble finding people to group up with?

The best thing about the Switch version (besides bappin Rajangs on the toilet) is that everyone in Japan bought it on the Switch apparently so you'll always have an army of people waaay better at the game than you to help you dunk on monsters. I've had less than a handful of times I couldn't find a 4 stack since it came out in March last year.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wouldn’t be shocked if that never comes out at this rate seeing as how they’re apparently completely hosed with the remake of 1

man that would be a bummer, i know the mod is out for PC but playing it on switch sounds so much better. i've looked forward to that restored content since reading it on a let's play 100 million years ago on this forum. i picked up mega man zero collection instead and got my rear end kicked by the first boss. feels very nostalgic.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

JordanKai posted:

Oh yeah? Name every Mario game.

Easy

Mario 3, Mario world, Galaxy, odyssey

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It is illegal to own a Switch and not have Breath of the Wild, so you should probably get on that

I'm a little tentative, the only Zelda game I've ever played was twilight princess and I got bored after finishing the main story which is pretty unlike me (I'm huge on side quests and collecting poo poo)

Should I still give this one a go?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Breath of the Wild is great whether you care for the old Zeldas or not. i can't stand most open worlds or puzzle dungeon bullshit but i enjoyed it all the way to the end. it's more about exploring a gorgeous location than anything else

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Easy

Mario 3, Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, odyssey

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Squiggly posted:

I'm a little tentative, the only Zelda game I've ever played was twilight princess and I got bored after finishing the main story which is pretty unlike me (I'm huge on side quests and collecting poo poo)

Should I still give this one a go?

I thought I was done with 100+ hour open world games, but Breath of The Wild was a perfection of the form that was definitely worth my time. After beating it I went back and finished all the shrines but the game makes it very clear that you'd have to be some sort of weirdo to get all 900 korok seeds.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Squiggly posted:

(I'm huge on side quests and collecting poo poo)

That's basically all the game is

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Are there any games out there like dragon quest builders 2?

I like the building and decoration aspect (yes, I have 100000 hours in animal crossing) but I also like the “goals”/recipe hunting part of it (instead of endless building in Minecraft, which I like but play on PC).

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That's basically all the game is

Game’s good, worth every cent to give it a try. Give up all hope of an interesting or even present story, and you will probably have a really good experience.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

taco show posted:

Are there any games out there like dragon quest builders 2?

I like the building and decoration aspect (yes, I have 100000 hours in animal crossing) but I also like the “goals”/recipe hunting part of it (instead of endless building in Minecraft, which I like but play on PC).

Enh, Littlewood kinda? Each of the residents has a set of needs to accomplish, including furniture and housing location. There's various construction and food recipes as well. And a loose sort of story arc but i haven't completed it yet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like that early on in Xenoblade 3 all the main characters get naked and nobody is perverted or weird about it, nobody even cares. Really sets the tone that this isn't going to have some of the more cringe anime bullshit.

Wow, you're right. It's actually highly illegal for an anime to do a bath scene without a girl throwing a bucket at one of the guy characters so someone at Nintendo is probably going to prison.

The scene vaguely reminded me of Starship Troopers.

Too much cringe anime bullshit in XB2 put a bad taste in my mouth. XB3 is reminding me of the first. It's nice so far.

I spent all weekend playing through Live A Live. Highly recommended. Probably gonna go down as my RPG of the year. Really made me feel like a kid discovering the classics for the first time again. It really is a lost classic.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Thanks for all of the recs and input so far

Checking out dekudeals, I think I'm going to pick up Crawl and Immortals Fenyx Rising unless someone says otherwise

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Squiggly posted:

Thanks for all of the recs and input so far

Checking out dekudeals, I think I'm going to pick up Crawl and Immortals Fenyx Rising unless someone says otherwise

How much is Fenyx Rising? Cause i really can't recommend it unless you have a switch you can overclock. Or a PS4 or better.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Mister Facetious posted:

How much is Fenyx Rising? Cause i really can't recommend it unless you have a switch you can overclock. Or a PS4 or better.

$15 through the store

What's the problem?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've never noticed any serious issue with the performance. The trouble with that game is the combat, puzzles and dungeons are really boring and that is 90% of the game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Maroon Hawk posted:

81.1M people breaking the law then...

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Squiggly posted:

Just be warned that Crawl isn't Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I may've been overeager when I jumped on that purchase.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Squiggly posted:

$15 through the store

What's the problem?

I feel that even after the patches the framerate is kinda... rough.
Also as Ubisoft open world games go this one is the most lifeless from a non-combat npc perspective.
Progress can also be kind of slow as your stats and moves are divided among something like four or five different currencies?

For $15? Yeah I dunno; maybe. Would be better if you can get the cartridge for that so you can sell it later.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 1, 2022

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Mister Facetious posted:

I feel that even after the patches the framerate is kinda... rough.
Also as Ubisoft open world games go this one is the most lifeless from a non-combat npc perspective.
Progress can also be kind of slow as your stats and moves are divided among something like four or five different currencies?

For $15? Yeah I dunno; maybe. Would be better if you can get the cartridge for that so you can sell it later.

Thanks for the heads up, I like the mythology premise but it sounds kinda lackluster

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Hammer Bro. posted:

Just be warned that Crawl isn't Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I may've been overeager when I jumped on that purchase.

Never played that one but love a good rogue like or dungeon crawl

Not gonna buy binding of Isaac as I've already completed it on computer. Same with Hades

I did buy Resident Evil 4 for the 5th time though, I'll buy it on every system I can

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Squiggly posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I like the mythology premise but it sounds kinda lackluster

it's a pretty shameless breath of the wild ripoff but with no idea what made that game good, instead filled with map markers to check off. botw is just like, start the game, learn some stuff, then go do whatever you want.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Similar feeling here.
I have at least a full day of meditative plugging things in and fiddling around to make it all work together before I even get to patching the synths and making some beep bloops.

I just recently picked up a switch, and haven't really had consoles since I was a kid. The last couple I bought were a GBAsp and newxl3DS , both of them at the very end of production. I've played pc games at a 2 to 3 year lag for Similar reasons ( cost). This is the first time since genesis days that I've had a current machine.
Remembering Being viciously reminded that mariokart single player, you better be ready to eat at least 2 shells a lap if you want to stay in the lead the whole time.

Also, my 5yo kid loves watching crashes when I try playing lonely mountains downhill.

Switch is good so far.

As a fellow 5 y/o haver I can attest the switch is the best for games you can enjoy together. I've beaten BotW, Yoshi's crafted world and Luigi's mansion with mine and she loves Mario cart and the paw patrol games. We're working through Kirby's forgotten land right now and it's incredible And I can pay dark souls, XCOM and Tetris effect in bed :getin:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

If you like side quests and collecting poo poo then BOTW is the Zelda game for you, that’s basically the game’s entire premise

If you’re hesitant just get a physical copy, if you don’t like it you can resell it and first-party titles have excellent resale value so you’ll be out like $20 tops

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

botw is amazing at what it does but i hate what it does and instantly get bored whenever i leave the great plateau. i've tried like 5 times. Cheers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I pity people that cannot find fun in a somewhat sandbox game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Different people like different things, it's all cool.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

An Actual Princess posted:

botw is amazing at what it does but i hate what it does and instantly get bored whenever i leave the great plateau. i've tried like 5 times. Cheers.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mega64 posted:

Different people like different things, it's all cool.

How could you say something so false and hurtful??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The enjoyment of BotW is going to be how much you finding and solving minor environmental and exploration puzzles for some percentage of a reward because that's 95% of the game. Solve how to get into and through a shrine and get a disposable weapon and 1/10th a stamina swirl. Reach an area and, from the clues in the area, figure out to make fire to reveal a korok to get a seed to put you one step closer to your next korok reward. Clothing is the only reward that isn't fleeting or marginal and even then they still have upgrades. It's a well designed world and it's fun to poke around in with more going on gameplay wise then it feels like as you get comfy with your options but how well that will endure is up to you.

Also blah blah weapon durability blah blah six kinds of enemies but combat is fine at first, becomes a joy for a little bit as you finally 'get it' then quickly becomes a chore as you repeat it adl nauseum and never feel like you're getting much meaningful out of it yet it won't stop trying to happen at you. It reached the point where most of my rupees went to bomb arrows which is basically Link's "I win, gently caress off" option.