Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Keetron posted:

including shipping, that would cost me €110 and I am seriously considering buying it. Would it greatly reduce the cooking time of the pizza?

550F kitchen oven

stone cooked 12” pizzas in ~7:45
steel cooks 14” pizzas in 6:45

so yeah it’s faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
more importantly, the time between pizzas is much much much better for steel

its so expensive but getting a real bakingsteel.com steel with the groove for grease/oil collection doubles the utility since you can use it as a griddle

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Trying some different variations on the Detroit style pizza - this one was using Peter Reinhart’s method of cube cheese in the dough during proofing.

Brick cheese mixed with cheddar

Using about 10% semola in the dough and it’s awesome.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
holy poo poo wow, that cheese in the dough situation looks awesome.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy poo poo wow, that cheese in the dough situation looks awesome.

the sheer hubris of man

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How does that factor in to the parbaking method you were talking about before? Is it a completely different technique?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How does that factor in to the parbaking method you were talking about before? Is it a completely different technique?

Good question - these aren’t parbakes at all, just proofed dough that’s topped and baked!
This is another method to making DSPs and I wanted to get a feel for it and see which is overall better/easier.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ogopogo posted:

Trying some different variations on the Detroit style pizza - this one was using Peter Reinhart’s method of cube cheese in the dough during proofing.

Detroit wins the pizza argument.

Flawless victory.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Speaking of cheese... I recently had a party where 1/3 of the guests were vegan. I spent a bit of time checking out mozarella substitutes and settled on this: https://shop.purezza.co.uk/products/the-melty-one

It was... ok I guess? It went a bit translucent and the texture lacks that 'fresh' liquidiness you get from mozz on a neapolitan margherita. More importantly, it doesn't have the creamy flavour of mozz. The flavour profile is closer to imitating a combination of mozz and hard cheese, so it has advantages in that you don't also need to find a parmesan substitute, but it doesn't really hit the mark. I know this is probably a 'dairy free will never get that right' kind of problem, but any suggestions? I was thinking of cutting it with some oat or soy milk to get back some of the texture and creaminess.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ogopogo posted:

i really need to try that sometime, last few times i've made pies i've had issues where one of the pies would have all the cheese falling into the center while baking in the oven

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Sorry not sorry, a few more pan pie pics…

The Sicilian was especially tasty - light and crunchy. I worked on a special sauce for the pan pies that’s thicker and richer, definitely matches the pizza now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
motherfucker looking at those when I can't immediately eat them is cruel and unusual punishment.

(keep posting tho, god drat)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
my god

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had a lot of trouble with pulling dough this weekend. I had made enough dough for 16 pizzas and made 13. My containers had 8 across two of them cold fermenting.

The problem is that I the dough balls had pretty much merged together. I don't think I could have avoided this given how much dough I was packing in. When I had to get a ball, I had to cut apart the ball and then try to shape it. This bit of handling mixed some folds into the dough that just didn't want to stretch. So I was getting a lot of tearing and stubborn dough.

Ultimately, I think I would just have to reduce the number of dough balls. I think I can do 10 (5 in each) with far less of a fuss and, like, make a focaccia or literally anything else to go with stuff.

I then think about people who just bulk cold ferment and wonder how that works out for them.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Separate post: Do any of you do something similar to the SFAH Lingurian Focaccia here in a fired oven?

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia

I don't like the effect on the bottom of the pan usually. I could probably suspend it on bricks and get a few coals under it. On the other hand, I hosed it up last time I made it and used 2.5 cups for the brine (the amount of water for the dough!). But I am pretty sure I did not do that in previous batches and found the bottom to still be underwhelming.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had a lot of trouble with pulling dough this weekend. I had made enough dough for 16 pizzas and made 13. My containers had 8 across two of them cold fermenting.

The problem is that I the dough balls had pretty much merged together. I don't think I could have avoided this given how much dough I was packing in. When I had to get a ball, I had to cut apart the ball and then try to shape it. This bit of handling mixed some folds into the dough that just didn't want to stretch. So I was getting a lot of tearing and stubborn dough.

Ultimately, I think I would just have to reduce the number of dough balls. I think I can do 10 (5 in each) with far less of a fuss and, like, make a focaccia or literally anything else to go with stuff.

I then think about people who just bulk cold ferment and wonder how that works out for them.

I have no way to explain it in text, but when I’m in my shop later this week I’ll make a video on how we pull out dough balls from the tray. We do 5x2 in a tray for a our regular sized dough balls, and they’re separate when we make them, and when they’re fully proofed the balls all touch each other, just a matter of knowing how to get them out :)

Finally decided to debut our sourdough Detroit pizzas to the public yesterday! Made 11 Detroits for a lot of happy customers. It was a lot of fun but definitely a whole different workflow than what I’m used to making round pies.

Then after it was all done I made a big ol’ Sicilian pizza for the crew.

Light as a cloud, crunchy and delicious.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Goddamn that looks good

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
what's the main differences in sicilian and detroit? I know that in sicilian it looks like you don't have the cheese going to the edge, is there other stuff you change around about it?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

what's the main differences in sicilian and detroit? I know that in sicilian it looks like you don't have the cheese going to the edge, is there other stuff you change around about it?

As you said, no cheese edge, and a Sicilian tends be a thicker overall crust, almost like a big focaccia. Detroits tend to be a lower profile crust, but also still airy and light, and done in a high walled rectangle pan, Sicilian’s are in square or rectangle low edge pans and with a lot of olive oil so it fries the crust!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are the sesame seeds standard or are they your own twist?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are the sesame seeds standard or are they your own twist?

Not standard, but an idea we saw on someone else’s pizza. We’re gonna try everything bagel seasoning next :D

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

brush the bottom with lye solution and do a pretzel one

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pretzel pizza crusts are so loving good

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pretzel on the bottom, angel food cake on the top, stuffed crust throughout.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I didn't have time to do any poolish or cold fermentation... and the dough was quite a bit easier to handle. Less tasty, but the shape was way better. 65% hydration dough using Pizzapp. Just using buffalo mozzarella as the lactose free stuff isn't available up here. Sauce is pasaata rustica with oregano, salt, garlic and some tomato purée.

Napoletana (anchovies and capers)

Roasted peppers, cooked ham, artichokes, sweetcorn.

Yum

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ogopogo posted:

I have no way to explain it in text, but when I’m in my shop later this week I’ll make a video on how we pull out dough balls from the tray. We do 5x2 in a tray for a our regular sized dough balls, and they’re separate when we make them, and when they’re fully proofed the balls all touch each other, just a matter of knowing how to get them out :)

Finally decided to debut our sourdough Detroit pizzas to the public yesterday! Made 11 Detroits for a lot of happy customers. It was a lot of fun but definitely a whole different workflow than what I’m used to making round pies.

Then after it was all done I made a big ol’ Sicilian pizza for the crew.

Light as a cloud, crunchy and delicious.

My... God...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

did a sfincione over the weekend with caciocavallo, an aged cheese my younger sibling got from eataly; the middle layer is a sauce with onions and anchovies melted in and the top is breadcrumbs

weekend before was an indian pizza with tandoori chicken, this time for the curry sauce i put in greek yogurt instead of cream and got a much redder and spicier sauce

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

did a sfincione over the weekend with caciocavallo, an aged cheese my younger sibling got from eataly; the middle layer is a sauce with onions and anchovies melted in and the top is breadcrumbs

weekend before was an indian pizza with tandoori chicken, this time for the curry sauce i put in greek yogurt instead of cream and got a much redder and spicier sauce

those look good as gently caress, I wanna try your tandoori chicken pizza!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I like it, but we're crossing over into lasagna territory here.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

ogopogo posted:

those look good as gently caress, I wanna try your tandoori chicken pizza!

thank you! it's definitely the biggest pain in the rear end to make of all my repertoire, since in addition to the dough i have to chop up the tomatoes and cilantro and tandoori chicken, and also go the full nine yards to make a curry sauce just for the pizza

thotsky posted:

I like it, but we're crossing over into lasagna territory here.

funny enough from what i'd seen from a family that claims to have invented detroit-style pizza, the style was adapted from the sicilian grandma's sfincione recipe

insert that meme that goes "and yet a trace of the true self still exists" or however it went

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 3, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ogopogo posted:

Well there's "touch each other" and then there's "have become dinner roll squares completely crowding out everything else." Do you know how large your trays are and the rough mass of a doughball? That should go a long way to comparing our experiences.

I also cold ferment for multiple days, but I don't think that should be considered too strongly as a factor. I could just cold ferment them less but probably at the cost of underproofing them.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Do you oil the dough balls before putting them in the tray or w/e? Ive bulk cold fermented before and I just grab a fistful of cold dough and rough shape it. then let it rise on the counter and hour or two and it slacks up and becomes easy enough to stretch

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Romancing the [Pizza] Stone: A Fistful of Dough

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Speaking of olive oil, what are the thoughts on oiling the top of the base immediately before topping with sauce?

Advantages - reduces peel stick by preventing over hydration

Disadvantages - faffy, increases topping slip

I wouldn't bother personally, but does anyone do it?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

PokeJoe posted:

Do you oil the dough balls before putting them in the tray or w/e?
I tried that once and the oil ultimately was absorbed. This was something like a 5-day cold ferment of some tightly-packed dough balls. so I think the tightly-packed part is the real issue. I should have taken a picture.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Been a busy weekend, I’ve been putting up a few Detroit pizzas to sell to the public to see how we’re doing. Lots of positive response and amazing compliments!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ogopogo posted:

Been a busy weekend, I’ve been putting up a few Detroit pizzas to sell to the public to see how we’re doing. Lots of positive response and amazing compliments!

:swoon:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i got some detroit dough rising and i want to get a bit more frico on this bad boy, what's the process for that

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

i got some detroit dough rising and i want to get a bit more frico on this bad boy, what's the process for that

This is something I’m still trying to master myself. Latest trick has been to cut some cheese into long sticks, maybe a 2/3 the thickness of a cheese stick. I use those to line the edges of my pan, pushing down a little. I’ll also pile a little extra cheese into the corners. So far that’s yielded consistent results!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002