Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Lin is perfectly fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUuRNye3ozY

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

*in the episode

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Also I watched All that Jazz last night and it blew me away. Holy poo poo. So good

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
solid ep

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Lin ep is good. Super solid guest

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ok all that jazz rules. Roy is so charismatic and all the song/dance sequences are so good. And that ending number to top it all off.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Agreed that Lin made for a good episode. He came in prepared and added a lot of history and experience to the episode. He seemed to mesh well with their humor too. But he does have a rap in the last 5 mins if you want to avoid, though it’s funny context at least.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That rappin grandma rear end motherfucker

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The rap was good and Lin was a good guest because he's a genuine fan of the podcast and I say this as someone who doesn't really care for anything he creates.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Plus his access to the original script and people involved was really interesting and insightful.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1553055932350959619?s=21&t=nj6RyFbDNxDMjrB73CtgYQ

hell yeah

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh gently caress they're finally doing the best director

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I also remembered TCM is doing Kubrick this month. They finish it up tomorrow.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Super hyped for the new miniseries. Still furious I'm not getting an episode on F for Fake, though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The STAR 80 episode was a rough one. It's far too easy to fall back on the language of 2022 to try and explain something decades old, but it doesn't always seem fair. I don't think Fosse was making the portrait of an Incel because that term and everything around it didn't exist. You can still have empathy or sympathy for aspects of someone's life or character while finding them abhorrent as people. And I don't think you're a bad person, or questionable, for wanting to make art that explores that. Like with some of the DRAG ME TO HELL episode, it starts to feel like a cudgel to wield when you don't like something and you don't want other people to disagree.

Weirdly I thought the LMM episode was a highlight because it was a lot of solid insights and he came prepared. It's clear that Fosse and ALL THAT JAZZ means a lot to him.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

DrVenkman posted:

The STAR 80 episode was a rough one. It's far too easy to fall back on the language of 2022 to try and explain something decades old, but it doesn't always seem fair. I don't think Fosse was making the portrait of an Incel because that term and everything around it didn't exist. You can still have empathy or sympathy for aspects of someone's life or character while finding them abhorrent as people. And I don't think you're a bad person, or questionable, for wanting to make art that explores that. Like with some of the DRAG ME TO HELL episode, it starts to feel like a cudgel to wield when you don't like something and you don't want other people to disagree.

Weirdly I thought the LMM episode was a highlight because it was a lot of solid insights and he came prepared. It's clear that Fosse and ALL THAT JAZZ means a lot to him.

I liked the episode, I think both Griffin and Julie are making excellent points and hers is super far from a lazy critique. I agree with you that art about horrible people can be great and doesn’t have to explicitly moralize or center good people, but the problem here is that Fosse decided to base it on a real story about real people, and that does a disservice to Stratton because she is used once again as a prop in a man’s venture.

This miniseries has been great, Fosse was a complete blind spot for me and they were all fantastic movies but in very different ways.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I completely agree. Julie had a really fascinating perspective on this, as a Fosse superfan. I thought she made some excellent points about why the movie was unconsionable and should not have been made. The podcast can desperately use a female perspective sometimes and this one was well-served by having her on it.

I didn't realize that Bogdonavich was the director or that he'd written a book about it that was basically "don't you all see I'm the true victim here?". What a piece of poo poo!

Overall I thought it was an excellent miniseries and it cleared up a huge blindspot for me. I don't particularly like Fosse but he was a great choreographer and talented director. Fosse/Verdon is also really great, if you haven't checked it out.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Eggnogium posted:

I liked the episode, I think both Griffin and Julie are making excellent points and hers is super far from a lazy critique. I agree with you that art about horrible people can be great and doesn’t have to explicitly moralize or center good people, but the problem here is that Fosse decided to base it on a real story about real people, and that does a disservice to Stratton because she is used once again as a prop in a man’s venture.

This miniseries has been great, Fosse was a complete blind spot for me and they were all fantastic movies but in very different ways.

It didn't hit the depths of the DRAG ME TO HELL episode at least, mainly because I think that Klausner has a stronger point of view than just "portraying Gypsies this way is problematic". As for the real story, real people aspect of it; this has come up again now with that Marilyn Monroe film and I don't know. It's fiction. Simplistic I know. As unpleasant as people may find it, yeah at the end of the day you're using real people to tell a story that interests you. Shakespeare did it too.

I guess I don't think that Fosse focusing the story where he does is a failing of the movie, or of Fosse as a storyteller (or person for that matter). Our interests usually lie in stories of people who do bad things and why they do them, rather than the victims. Generally it always has. And for Fosse he clearly sees some aspects of himself in that character, which to be fair they get to in the episode. I feel sometimes these arguments come down to criticising it because it wasn't the movie you wanted, or the movie you would make and there's nowhere to really go with that.

I sounded harsh in my talking about the episode. I thought it was good! It was just a little thornier than I expected.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think that's the fault of the guest, really, in not getting their point across better. I like Drag Me to Hell quite a bit, but 2009 is pretty late to make a movie with an evil Gypsy as the main villain. It's a pretty big asterisk on what is otherwise a pretty fun gross flick.

DrVenkman posted:

I sounded harsh in my talking about the episode. I thought it was good! It was just a little thornier than I expected.

I think frequently, David and Griffin do their best to skim past controversy because they just like da moviesh. I was happy that Klausner stuck to her guns.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

graventy posted:

I think that's the fault of the guest, really, in not getting their point across better. I like Drag Me to Hell quite a bit, but 2009 is pretty late to make a movie with an evil Gypsy as the main villain. It's a pretty big asterisk on what is otherwise a pretty fun gross flick.

I think the difference is that Klausner clearly had engaged with the movie and had strong opinions about it and the director and the guests on the Drag Me to Hell episode were basically dismissive of the whole thing.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I was pretty annoyed at the DMTH episode because I love that movie and it didn't get the discussion it deserved. They barely mentioned the eating disorder which is one of the main themes of the movie.

I listened to every Bob Fosse episode even though I've never seen any of his movies (will definitely have to watch Cabaret and All That Jazz at some point). It was a great exploration of a very complex, lovely guy that revolutioned entertainment. I'd love for them to tackle some more less-mainstream directors like that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I sort of disagree, I don’t think they’re best at digging into technical stuff and usually enjoy them sticking to broader movies. Some of the worst episodes are like Eat Drink Man Woman or The Weight of Water where the opportunity for bullshit tangents is low. It’s why I was happy Kubrick won over Welles, it’s not like they were gonna spend 20 minutes running through Joseph Cotton’s filmography

morestuff fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 2, 2022

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I agreed with her basic premise, and if she had stated it, then elaborated, invited a response, countered, gave examples, engaged in a colorful and spirited discussion, it would have been a great episode. She just didn't do that much though, she stepped on Griffin's attempts to respond and just acted as a conversational brick wall. I feel like Griffin backed down too readily, and I'm pretty sure David swallowed his mic shortly after Ben hit record.

It wasn't a horrible episode, but the guest and the hosts never got on the same page. The hosts wanted to talk about the movie and the guest wanted to talk about how the movie shouldn't exist, and occasionally say that the soundtrack sucked. It would have been better if they could have decided which topic to focus on, and I would have preferred it to be focusing on the movie rather than if it should or shouldn't have existed. The episode would have been truly great if they could have given time to both.

I think part of the problem is that they are all Fosse fans, and none of them seem really willing to dig into the fact that he was an extremely talented monster. Everyone talks about Fosse in the terms he set out in All That Jazz. "Look at what a self-loathing bad boy I am! I'm a poo poo who is going to Hell, but at least I'm a genius that the chicks dig!"

I'm not sure what I'm saying, they acknowledge his behavior, but they don't vilify it enough. Julie was definitely on that page, but because she was a fan, she focused on wishing he hadn't made Star 80 rather than seeing it as the product of an rear end in a top hat who showed the world what a dick he was in ATJ and probably didn't improve as a human being much before he made Star 80. Don't wish he hadn't made a movie, wish he wasn't a monster.

Maybe I'm overly harsh on Fosse, I love 2 of his movies, but gently caress I think he's a toxic rear end in a top hat.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

well this is my other problem with the podcast along with the fact neither griffin nor david are as funny as they think they are and the generally tepid opinions held by anyone within or adjacent to the professional film criticism scene, which is the fun of movie discussion shows is passionate people arguing about things they like or don't like and neither of them have the backbone to actually do that. we've known as far back as siskel and ebert that vicarious fights about movies make for good entertainment and here the prevailing mood is "don't rock the boat."

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Maybe you don’t like the show?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
The point of their podcast is to talk about the context in which movies fit into the arc of a director's career, not trying to convince one another that a movie is good or bad. That comes up naturally over the course of the episodes sometimes, but it's not the focus. They've said that people accuse them of being too soft on movies that they secretly hate, but they just pick directors they like who made movies they like so they don't hate a lot of the movies they cover.

I do sometimes wish they talked about the content of the movies a little more, especially on the commentaries, though.

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 3, 2022

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Griffin and David and Ben aka Produ- have evidently different tastes, but I don't think the show would benefit from adversarial conversation. Siskel and Ebert show was scripted, I believe - in live discussion busting heads would result in shouting match or awkward silence (see "jay listens to mike talking about star trek" compilation number whatever). Griffin dying on some very silly hill for minutes to polite smiles from everyone is enough.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

well this is my other problem with the podcast along with the fact neither griffin nor david are as funny as they think they are and the generally tepid opinions held by anyone within or adjacent to the professional film criticism scene, which is the fun of movie discussion shows is passionate people arguing about things they like or don't like and neither of them have the backbone to actually do that. we've known as far back as siskel and ebert that vicarious fights about movies make for good entertainment and here the prevailing mood is "don't rock the boat."

I don’t know, I think we have plenty of other shows that take that approach. I prefer Blank Check’s style over the standard internet nerd hyperbole style where people pretend to have a strong opinion of Ant Man 5 or whatever.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t know, I think we have plenty of other shows that take that approach. I prefer Blank Check’s style over the standard internet nerd hyperbole style where people pretend to have a strong opinion of Ant Man 5 or whatever.

Yes exactly

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

R. Guyovich posted:

I disagree with you generally for the reasons others have noted, but specifically I do agree Griffin and David are too quick to knuckle under when a guest says something they disagree with, so in this particular case I get where you're coming from. This is especially true when the guest is someone they don't know very well. I think they think it would be rude to disagree too much with the guest.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I do sometimes wish they talked about the content of the movies a little more, especially on the commentaries, though.

They used to do this a lot more, listening to old episodes for their first couple years it was like 20 minutes of context from Wikipedia and then an hour of going through specific scenes and their effectiveness or non-effectiveness. I think the addition of researches has improved the quality of the info but maybe caused that part to cannibalize the discussion of the film itself. Also partly due to the expansion of the guest list beyond just other film critics.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i don't think it's a binary choice between what they're doing and your average marvel idiot podcast or whatever. it would just be nice to hear more actual opinions and back-and-forth from a movie podcast that runs over two hours on average. but i guess it shouldn't be surprising since if you've read any of david's reviews you know he tries as hard as possible to not express any opinions and if he's forced to will do so in the most tortured, obfuscated way possible

as for why i still listen, i don't know. it is often a useful means of curation for directors whose work i've only partially watched or not seen in a long enough time where a rewatch would be beneficial, and there are insights mixed in with the stale bits. keeping up with the schedule of the podcast is a good motivator for actually watching the movies instead of building up a backlog, and the level of conversation IS higher caliber than your usual sources on the internet, which is more an indictment of the sorry state of Film Twitter/Social Media than anything else.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Okay

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I don't really care about movies I just like to hear people i think are charming talk about stuff they are passionate about

ben is the one with taste, anyways

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I only listen for burger reports

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I really enjoy the movie talk and the context digressions, but the main thing I listen for is the easy rapport between friends who enjoy each others' company and obviously enjoy allowing guests into their circle. My favorite part is getting a window into the lives of people who live a very different existence than I do. The conversations about all the broadway shows everyone had been to in the conversation with Rachel Ziegler was absolute brain candy for me.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yes, the fact that this is one of a billion white dudes talk about movies podcasts except the hosts don’t dig in with their strong Opinions On Movies is a good thing that sets it apart, tbh

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
They’re the only podcast made by two friends. That’s the Blank Check difference .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Episode was alright. The other episodes were definitely more fun but also had more fun subject matter. I haven’t watched Star80 yet, and not sure I will based on discussion. But the concept reminds me of Fire Walk With Me though that one is heavily focuses on the female character and her feelings.