Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Toe Rag posted:

concerts sound better with ear plugs in :colbert:

I only learned this recently after seeing Jacob Collier live, which is super disappointing considering that's the show in which I'd want to hear the most detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

i grabbed (Sandy) Alex G's "Rocket" on vinyl. it's the one with songs like Bobby, Witch, and Powerful Man. If anyone wants the download code, it's here: claimed to be used here.

yeah ok ok yeah fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 30, 2022

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Requesting "Tinnitus and Turntables" group tag. I've got a bunch of gigs coming up and just bought some "Loop Experience" earplugs...hope they work better than standard earplugs!

Do any of you ever feel guilt about the size of your collection and the lack of usage? I'm trying to find time to reengage with my collection, but time is in short supply right now. Had such a great afternoon of spinning records and chilling; makes me realise how much I've missed it.

Johnny Cash, Last Shadow Puppets, Richard Hawley into Type O Negative. Feels great.

midge fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 30, 2022

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

i grabbed (Sandy) Alex G's "Rocket" on vinyl. it's the one with songs like Bobby, Witch, and Powerful Man. If anyone wants the download code, it's here: KLXWF5UX to be used here.

I grabbed this. I am really enjoying it so far, thank you!

To pass it along, here are 4 download codes. One or two of them may have been claimed already but give them a shot.

Starting top left, go clockwise:

Tortoise - Rhythms, Resolutions and Clusters
Broadcast - BBC Maida Vale Sessions
Winged Wheel - Self titled
Califone - Roots & Crowns

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

CaptainBeefart posted:

I grabbed this. I am really enjoying it so far, thank you!

:hai:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

midge posted:

Do any of you ever feel guilt about the size of your collection and the lack of usage? I'm trying to find time to reengage with my collection
I've been feeling the same way so I very specifically started up a game of Persona 5 Royal because there's a looooooot of dungeon crawling you can do with the sound on mute while you blast records.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

caligulamprey posted:

I've been feeling the same way so I very specifically started up a game of Persona 5 Royal because there's a looooooot of dungeon crawling you can do with the sound on mute while you blast records.

This is funny because I would do things that aren’t gaming (writing papers/working) and then put on my Persona 5 Royal vinyl boxset

That soundtrack slaps is what I’m saying

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

DC Murderverse posted:

This is funny because I would do things that aren’t gaming (writing papers/working) and then put on my Persona 5 Royal vinyl boxset

That soundtrack slaps is what I’m saying
It's pretty incredible (Though I'm more of a Persona 4 Golden guy), but I can only sit through about ten seconds of the Mementos theme before turning it off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

midge posted:

Do any of you ever feel guilt about the size of your collection and the lack of usage?

No. I must never stop!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

midge posted:

Do any of you ever feel guilt about the size of your collection and the lack of usage? I'm trying to find time to reengage with my collection, but time is in short supply right now. Had such a great afternoon of spinning records and chilling; makes me realise how much I've missed it.

Yes, not only is this me and records, this is also me and video games. So far my solution is to weed out my mistakes so I'm only left with stuff I want to make time and effort to play. Maybe I'll slap on some records while I cook up some stuff later today.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

midge posted:

Requesting "Tinnitus and Turntables" group tag. I've got a bunch of gigs coming up and just bought some "Loop Experience" earplugs...hope they work better than standard earplugs!

Johnny Cash, Last Shadow Puppets, Richard Hawley into Type O Negative. Feels great.

What I am doing at the moment is looking at my shelves in the morning when I wake up and pulling 3-4 records out, so they stick out from the rest and when I get around to listening in the afternoon I listen to those records I pulled out until the bunch is pushed back in.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

My colllege dormitory recollections tell me this is the best way to watch most movies as well.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Cure have reissued Wish on vinyl for the first time since its release 30 years ago, if anyone is looking for a copy for less than $500 or whatever the original goes for second hand these days.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

£650 + £25 postage from Turkey.

Bargain.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Still waiting on a Boys Don’t Cry reissue. Tho my regular shop has one up on the wall for $60, I should just put together a loose stack and trade in for it.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
the thing with earplugs at shows is you kinda forget you have them in after a few minutes and if you get decent ones they kinda make the sound better. idk every single show I've been to (other than Sufjan Stevens) has been way too loud, if you don't have the earplugs in there's often one element that overpowers everything. that said shows rule and I'll never stop going

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The other night I ordered a remaster of Wolf Parade's first album, Apologies to Queen Mary. From the website:

"Re-mastered deluxe edition pressed on 3x12" black vinyl. Vinyl includes coupon for digital download of full album. Discs 1 and 2 contain re-mastered tracks from Apologies to the Queen Mary. Disc 3 contains re-mastered tracks from the 2003-2005 Wolf Parade EPs."

Pretty pumped for this, except for some reason shipping is estimate to take 2 to 8 weeks. This is like old school catalog shopping. I remember that as a kid, ordering something, and checking the mail everyday for 3 months to see if it had come yet. Compare that to these days, sometimes I order something from Amazon for free 2 day shipping, and I get it 2 hours later.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The copy of Limp Bizkit 'Significant Other' is on a similar trajectory. 2-3 months shipping from Japan. Everyday I check the progress and its been stuck for 2 weeks now somewhere in the ocean.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dorium posted:

The copy of Limp Bizkit 'Significant Other' is on a similar trajectory. 2-3 months shipping from Japan. Everyday I check the progress and its been stuck for 2 weeks now somewhere in the ocean.

Take it they shipped it by sea freight? That stuff legit takes forever. And apparently it's pretty common for those giant freighters to lose shipping containers while at sea.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nihonniboku posted:

Take it they shipped it by sea freight? That stuff legit takes forever. And apparently it's pretty common for those giant freighters to lose shipping containers while at sea.

lol yeah its coming over from Japan and I guess that's the only way record sellers over there can ship out their stuff at reasonable prices.

if the US based sellers werent selling at like $40-$50 more than JP sellers I would've gone american, but alas. I have to wait even longer for Nookie on vinyl.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dorium posted:

lol yeah its coming over from Japan and I guess that's the only way record sellers over there can ship out their stuff at reasonable prices.

if the US based sellers werent selling at like $40-$50 more than JP sellers I would've gone american, but alas. I have to wait even longer for Nookie on vinyl.

So you did it all for the nookie

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Nihonniboku posted:

The other night I ordered a remaster of Wolf Parade's first album, Apologies to Queen Mary.

Oh hell yes, thanks for the heads up.

I'll Believe in Anything was "my indie song" back in high school, ha.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
wear earplugs at shows, you fuckin dorks.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Spanish Manlove posted:

wear earplugs at shows, you fuckin dorks.

:emptyquote:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I had some custom earplugs made at an audiologist a few years back and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Sound quality is fantastic and the -15dB filter is just right.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

how much did custom sets run? always been intrigued, but never had the scratch to do it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.sensaphonics.com/products/erseriesplugs

That's who I got mine with. I think it was $150 for the plugs at the time, $50 extra for a sweet dye job, and then like $50-$100 for the appointment. I also had them make me some sleeves for my Shure SE535's that I barely ever use anymore.

So definitely not cheap but for the amount of concerts I go to, definitely worth it. Buy once, cry once etc

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Do you all have separate audio equipment for music or is your record player hooked into your home theater setup? I bought a house and deciding what to do.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a separate setup in another room for my record listening. I might pick up a second turntable at some point to have one on the main home theater system as well, but I kinda like having a space just for listening to music.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Barry posted:

https://www.sensaphonics.com/products/erseriesplugs

That's who I got mine with. I think it was $150 for the plugs at the time, $50 extra for a sweet dye job, and then like $50-$100 for the appointment. I also had them make me some sleeves for my Shure SE535's that I barely ever use anymore.

So definitely not cheap but for the amount of concerts I go to, definitely worth it. Buy once, cry once etc

Hmm going to save up for these. Looks quality though.

phosdex posted:

Do you all have separate audio equipment for music or is your record player hooked into your home theater setup? I bought a house and deciding what to do.

Yes, totally separate setup for the turntable.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I just have the turntable setup on my home theater. Maybe I'll get a second setup for my bedroom at some point, but for now most my listening is done in the living room.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

dorium posted:

Hmm going to save up for these. Looks quality though.

Yeah they're not cheap but I feel like as long as I don't lose them, they're going to last a long, long time. I spent plenty of years using foam earbuds and then the Etymotic kind of christmas trees and it's really hard to not overstate just how big of an improvement they are, from both the sound quality and comfort perspective. The frequency response seems incredibly flat, just makes everything quieter.

The best part is that you're also dropping 15dB off the jackasses behind you that can't stop talking throughout the headlining set.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Barry posted:

The best part is that you're also dropping 15dB off the jackasses behind you that can't stop talking throughout the headlining set.

This part right here might just sell me on them. There's a venue here that a lot of acts I'd like to see play, but the size and sound system setup of it means that I'm often stuck around a bunch of dorks who just won't shut up during the set, and it totally ruins the show. So much that I avoid anything that rolls through there unless it's really special. This seems like a worthwhile investment to open that venue back up to me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Barry posted:

Oooh, this gives me the opportunity to point out if anyone's a dude that likes to scream at shows, tilt your head to the sky when you do it so you're not screaming directly into anyone's loving ear.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Oooh, this gives me the opportunity to point out if anyone's a dude that likes to scream at shows, tilt your head to the sky when you do it so you're not screaming directly into anyone's loving ear.

I feel like the best solution to this problem is for people to just shut the gently caress up and not ruin the show for the people around you. I saw a guy at a Goblin show almost get his rear end kicked because he wouldn't stop yelling out a running commentary during the show. He eventually got thrown out.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Just a couple of recent buys. Kandytown is a j-hip hop collective, Marine Crystal is a lofi recording of a guy who heard the city pop of the day and decided to have a crack at recording a bunch of summery pop tunes. Also released a bunch of other stuff on cassette in the 80s by dubbing and photocopying everything per each order. https://www.discogs.com/label/343412-DD-Records

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

phosdex posted:

I have both but I don’t use the tv much so that record player never really gets used. I’m making a dedicated diskman/Walkman stereo though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
mine is just plugged into the same speakers I use for the projector. the idea of having a separate room just to listen to records is weird to me, the living room is always by far the nicest space in our house and I want to hang out there as much as possible when I'm at home

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

strap on revenge posted:

mine is just plugged into the same speakers I use for the projector. the idea of having a separate room just to listen to records is weird to me, the living room is always by far the nicest space in our house and I want to hang out there as much as possible when I'm at home

I don’t have a tv in my living room. I guess I don’t have a stereo either though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

phosdex posted:

I gots a pair of sweet-rear end Kanto YU 3s into which i've plugged my turntable*, TV et al, and an auxiliary plug for aux stuff. Also has Bluetooth connectivity :blastu:

*by way of the pre-amp, of course