Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

moths posted:

Twenty despoilers! From the Oath Thread!

Nice work! Particularly like the gold and armor color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Now that’s a lotta heresy

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I heard Solar Auxilia dont have rules yet but i want to play them and i was thinking of getting some models to paint till they get rules, what would you guys suggest i get.

Im getting the Tactical command squad definitely.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hihohe posted:

I heard Solar Auxilia dont have rules yet but i want to play them and i was thinking of getting some models to paint till they get rules, what would you guys suggest i get.

Im getting the Tactical command squad definitely.

If 2.0 works the same way as 1.0 did, you're going to need either Lasrifle Sections or Storm Sections to field a list no matter what. They were your only compulsory troop options (flamer sections had Support Squad). 1.0 had those as 20-man lasrifle sections and 10-man storm sections, so you're looking at a lot of bodies there to work with already, which may fit "paint until they get rules" depending on how fast you are.

Russes and Malcadors were the bulk of the armored options - we already know roughly what Malcadors look like ruleswise (though not their special variants), we don't know about Russes but the general changes to blast weapons and high AP don't leave me incredibly reassured. The Basilisk/Medusa are even less reassuring based on how they got massacred for Legions.

Pick up a pair of lasrifle sections & a Malcador to have a minimum viable army when the rules drop, I guess? Nobody knows when that's going to be. It was a pretty bare bones army list so there's not a ton to really recommend from.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
SA is the one army where you will be dropping fat wads of cash though. IIRC, Lasrifle Section were basically €1/point.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JcDent posted:

SA is the one army where you will be dropping fat wads of cash though. IIRC, Lasrifle Section were basically €1/point.

Yup. Other armies have elements of it (see the Arquitor being $170 for 185 points of overcosted artillery) but Auxilia is entirely absurdly expensive low-points kits.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I saw thier prices and lets just say i am glad my group has many friends who have thier own modeling hobby on the side.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there some sort of prohibition at major tournaments regarding kitbashing these days, even with 100% GW products? I feel like I already asked that in a thread since getting back into the hobby, but surely the answer is to bulk out the SA with some Astra Militarum?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there some sort of prohibition at major tournaments regarding kitbashing these days, even with 100% GW products? I feel like I already asked that in a thread since getting back into the hobby, but surely the answer is to bulk out the SA with some Astra Militarum?

I have a bunch of RT guard I intend to use as SA, and if anyone gives me poo poo, I will... probably not do anything. But they'll be legit.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Do you think beaky destroyers would look strange and what would be a good jump pack bit to hunt down for them? I don't want them to look too Raven Guard (they'd be for Dark Angels).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you like Solar Aux and you have a 3d printer, these seem to be pretty well regarded if you like the looks:

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/ThatEvilOne/collection/lunar-auxilia

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kills me how hard most of the third parties with any quality whatsoever are moving to "let me only sell you an stl for the 3D printer you don't have" while the few sellers still sending the physical bits gouge like crazy for them. (Looking at every seller who I've tried to figure out a nemesis bolter solution from - evidently inflation is hitting bits sellers at 100% or more between ~2019 and now, considering how absurdly priced it all is. Even from countries where exchange rates would nominally make it a lot cheaper. Sure wasn't "pay as much as or more than the cost of the entire kit you're adding this single pair of weapons to" before. That's without even mentioning the several places where I need bits that simply aren't being made by anyone, anywhere, except FW and those stealing their kits.)

I have seen those stls for auxilia before and I do think they did a pretty great job, though. The passenger and psyker stls are nice touches (guessing the latter is more for IMC) for extra flavor.

Edit for actual thread content: I'm still working through my AoD box, and debating just putting together an artificer armor Warsmith after all instead of holding out for after I finish the box and can buy new kits again. The main issue being I plan on embedding them with a unit of Dominators, which have Inexorable that the Praetor bafflingly breaks, along with Heavy which is a solvable but lovely problem. How much does losing Inexorable on terminators actually affect their performance? Everything except a command squad that's worth sticking an AA Praetor into has it, AA Praetor breaks it... And that's even setting aside the issue of "Lyssatra warlord trait wants one of two or three specific units that are both Heavy and absolute back line only, complicating list building further", but I can always make warlord shenanigans happen.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 29, 2022

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you want to play anything except marines, I would encourage you to hold out for their rules to drop. Besides possibly mechanicum, its hard to know how these factions will play and be balanced given the major nerfs to the things that made them viable in 1.0.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Are any events going to get anal if I bring a praetor who's model doesn't have the specific weapons I give him? This is my first time kitbashing and I'm currently trying to modify the praetor with sword and volkite and I don't have the bits/ideas to replace the Volkite arm, but I might not run him with that specific weapon when I make my list.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If you like Solar Aux and you have a 3d printer, these seem to be pretty well regarded if you like the looks:

And if you don't you can buy from Anvil Industry.

£30 for 10 dudes isn't too far off Forgeworld though.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
With great sorrow...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Major Spag posted:

With great sorrow...

Nice! Are the rocks there to cover up the non-dynamjc rock pose? Or do you think plonking him down just works? I don't collect BA, but I got him cos I liked him in MoM and I have no love for the harlequin toestand poo poo.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Another option is the 'steampunk' line from here https://davikdesigns.gumroad.com/l/wAKtHk

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Wargames Atlantic also has a gazillion future soldiers in plastic. They even have part of the old Eisenkern line, though nowadays you may want alternate heads since the ones in the kit are heavily influenced by WWII Germans and you may not want to be that guy.

I'd say that in its coolest form, 30k is probably the most friendly toward kitbashing and third-party kits, especially for Auxilia, Militia, and Daemons. The galaxy is a big places and there's zillions of regional and local patterns of equipment that broadly match the equipment presented in rules entries.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Houston, we have Iron Warriors. Crossposting from mini painting now that my first couple guys are done.

quote:

sorry for the poor image quality, my phone camera is damaged and Samsung decided "damaged camera during the warranty period" wasn't a warranty claim, so the lenses are out of focus. I did my best to manually focus for the most details.

Siege Breaker

Melta Support Sergeant

Tactical Sergeant

Contemptor (the Contemptor guns ended up looking pretty bad due to me missing a step or two)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are these loyalist Iron Warriors? They're really clean and crisp, which is honestly something I've never seen before.

Looks great either way!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

Are these loyalist Iron Warriors? They're really clean and crisp, which is honestly something I've never seen before.

Looks great either way!

Yup. Inspired by Dantioch's guys to a degree - garrison company ignorant of the outbreak of the Heresy, and given how poo poo of a father Perturabo was, not inclined to follow him into damnation. Painted the red right hand as a loyalty mark to Secundus (still debating what exactly its significance should be in terms of fealty, but we'll get there), doing the meat-grinder fighting where necessary.
They're mostly clean because I'm out of the "game" for painting for a long while now - there's a few places I tried to do wear at (the melted shoulder plate, the melta barrel, couple other things) but it just ended up looking messy and poorly painted instead. Figured getting it done clean well is better than "gritty" done poorly. They need another round of varnish that I'll do later today, you can see in the dead center of the chest where the tactical sergeant's paint already chipped down to bare plastic during assembly. Other than that they're basically good to go, and once I have a replacement for the drill bit that snapped in half today, I'll pin the rest of a 10-man squad to work through. I have one Tactical and the vexilla bearer on pins already, but the tactical got hosed up during priming and the vexilla bearer just has one color basecoated. Had to wrap up something so I wasn't in a total morale slump.

Still need to figure out what to do for the Warsmith - I have the bits necessary for an artificer armor one, but it's such a poor fit, especially for IW...

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yup. Inspired by Dantioch's guys to a degree - garrison company ignorant of the outbreak of the Heresy, and given how poo poo of a father Perturabo was, not inclined to follow him into damnation. Painted the red right hand as a loyalty mark to Secundus (still debating what exactly its significance should be in terms of fealty, but we'll get there), doing the meat-grinder fighting where necessary.
They're mostly clean because I'm out of the "game" for painting for a long while now - there's a few places I tried to do wear at (the melted shoulder plate, the melta barrel, couple other things) but it just ended up looking messy and poorly painted instead. Figured getting it done clean well is better than "gritty" done poorly. They need another round of varnish that I'll do later today, you can see in the dead center of the chest where the tactical sergeant's paint already chipped down to bare plastic during assembly. Other than that they're basically good to go, and once I have a replacement for the drill bit that snapped in half today, I'll pin the rest of a 10-man squad to work through. I have one Tactical and the vexilla bearer on pins already, but the tactical got hosed up during priming and the vexilla bearer just has one color basecoated. Had to wrap up something so I wasn't in a total morale slump.

Still need to figure out what to do for the Warsmith - I have the bits necessary for an artificer armor one, but it's such a poor fit, especially for IW...
:hfive: loyalist Iron Warriors buddy. I enjoyed the fluff about both Dantioch and Kyr Vhalen and I'm probably going to end up collecting traitor Death Guard at some point as well so I figured why not do something a bit different and run them as loyalists.

I'm also hoping I can paint up a Knight Dominus as a Legio Gryphonicus Vassal and run that as a LoW in larger games once the Liber Mechanicum comes out since Iron Warriors were big on hanging out with the Mechanicum and Titan Legions. Probably not going to be great in terms of gameplay but who cares, giant robot.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mercurius posted:

:hfive: loyalist Iron Warriors buddy. I enjoyed the fluff about both Dantioch and Kyr Vhalen and I'm probably going to end up collecting traitor Death Guard at some point as well so I figured why not do something a bit different and run them as loyalists.

For better or worse "loyalist IW" is a meme, but it's also one supported by fluff, so who cares what people think. One of the most common loyalty flips, but also one that's perfectly reasonable.

Now when I run into someone who runs traitor Ultramarines, then I'll have found a unicorn...

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Some wip Iron warriors

I completed a 20 man tactical with a few different leaders as options, I need to make up some boarding shield melta gunners and lascutters as options for them too, The squad is splittable into two 10's via different coloured plants on the bases, I am trying to colour code the basing material.

Does anyone know if you can still buy lascutters?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lucinice posted:

Are any events going to get anal if I bring a praetor who's model doesn't have the specific weapons I give him? This is my first time kitbashing and I'm currently trying to modify the praetor with sword and volkite and I don't have the bits/ideas to replace the Volkite arm, but I might not run him with that specific weapon when I make my list.

I think the most important thing is that the major stuff is represented, it usually isn't a problem

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kharnifex posted:

Does anyone know if you can still buy lascutters?

Breacher squad kit includes one. Only one though, and that's the only source I'm aware of. Given how godawful they look rules wise, not missing out if you can't get many of them, tbh.

Your dudes look nice. I like the lenses. Need to do some green on some of mine...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The 40k Boarding Assault upgrade kit has a whopping two Lascutters in it.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

SkyeAuroline posted:

Breacher squad kit includes one. Only one though, and that's the only source I'm aware of. Given how godawful they look rules wise, not missing out if you can't get many of them, tbh.

Your dudes look nice. I like the lenses. Need to do some green on some of mine...

Thanks, Meltaguns it is then!

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

JcDent posted:

Nice! Are the rocks there to cover up the non-dynamjc rock pose? Or do you think plonking him down just works? I don't collect BA, but I got him cos I liked him in MoM and I have no love for the harlequin toestand poo poo.

There there to give him more dynamic interaction; as if he is getting ready to leap up, i guess. I just wanted him off that dang rock/arch thing.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SkyeAuroline posted:

Now when I run into someone who runs traitor Ultramarines, then I'll have found a unicorn...

That could be fun.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Go full Dornian Heresy and do Chaos Ultramarines

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Froghammer posted:

Go full Dornian Heresy and do Chaos Ultramarines

Weren't the Ultras explicitly not Chaos in that, though?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Given the scale of the heresy and how big a dick Gulliman was, its probably not a stretch to imagine some of his dudes went traitor. Especially the ones from the redacted legions. They have a traitor ROW now so its all canon baaybe

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
"Raise your hand if you started your own empire at the outbreak of a galactic civil war."

*Guiliman and Horus raise their matching, oversized "Compensator-pattern gauntlets", before awkwardly looking around the room*

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

They have a traitor ROW now so its all canon baaybe

Isn't the Logos their only ROW? I know they have a traitor warlord trait (in which the justification for traitorhood is "they didn't get jacked off enough for doing their jobs"), just making sure I didn't miss a pdf or something.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Isn't the Logos their only ROW? I know they have a traitor warlord trait (in which the justification for traitorhood is "they didn't get jacked off enough for doing their jobs"), just making sure I didn't miss a pdf or something.
I believe BULBASAUR means Warlord Trait rather than ROW. Several of the factions that didn't have specific allegiance Warlord Traits now have them which means that things like Traitor Ultramarines and Loyalist Word Bearers can be an actual thing on the tabletop now where they couldn't before.

It also amuses me that the Alpha Legion just straight up doesn't have Loyalist/Traitor and you can run them with either.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mercurius posted:

I believe BULBASAUR means Warlord Trait rather than ROW. Several of the factions that didn't have specific allegiance Warlord Traits now have them which means that things like Traitor Ultramarines and Loyalist Word Bearers can be an actual thing on the tabletop now where they couldn't before.

It also amuses me that the Alpha Legion just straight up doesn't have Loyalist/Traitor and you can run them with either.

Yeah, it's nice to have the extra flavor depth of loyal/traitor options where they didn't exist before. (and then there's us IW with three unaligned traits, only one of which you'd ever take, but hey!) I know the exemplary battle sheets exist and are still getting us new units, wasn't sure if one snuck in a new rite.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

So I wanted to do this for a while. Still trying different versions as well as a friend doing a 3d file for a jar of pickles and a jar of Nutella to print...

Original eating from a can:

Can of soda version:

Edit:
Bonus image:

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Mercurius posted:

Alpha Legion only has a loyalist WT.

That's how you know they're the most loyal.