Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

dragonshardz posted:

GDLauncher works fine, just make sure you're using the latest version.

This is an important point, because the major update necessitated by Curseforge's recent shenanigans does not download automatically, you have to go manually grab it. Once I got it, everything went back to being buttery smooth, and it even handles manually downloading individual mods that packs don't have permissions for, which PolyMC, as of yet, does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
so, i've hit the thaumcraft part of gtnh. Anybody know how to use a crucible? The thaumonomicon isn't useful in telling me how to get aspects into the crucible.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

so, i've hit the thaumcraft part of gtnh. Anybody know how to use a crucible? The thaumonomicon isn't useful in telling me how to get aspects into the crucible.

You just throw items in. Thaumcraft expands later with the alembic being able to turn items into their aspects, but to begin with you're just tossing items into the water (make sure you put water in the crucible first)

Sometimes this means you'll end up with extra aspects you don't need in the water/crucible, but you can just flush those in between.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Mycroft Holmes posted:

When you scan an item with the thaumometer, it gives you a list of aspects and how many it contains. When you throw an item into the crucible, it puts those aspects into the crucible and destroys the item. If you put the right aspects inside and throw in a trigger item, you successfully craft.

However, act quickly -- the crucible will boil away the aspects if you let it sit too long. Wearing the Goggles of Revealing will let you see what aspects are currently in the crucible.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Doesn't flushing the crucible cause warp? Or is that a different thing?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

GetDunked posted:

Doesn't flushing the crucible cause warp? Or is that a different thing?

Depending on the version of Thaumcraft it will cause warp (or do nothing) when you flush with aspects remaining in it. This is by design as a way to make sure the player has to deal with a little warp to start with and that way when you get into the ways on how to deal with and scrub it it's actually useful instead of the player just sidestepping the mechanic completely.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is this FTB Wiki page still accurate on how to setup a Draconic Evolution reactor?

https://ftb.fandom.com/wiki/Draconic_Evolution_Reactor_Guide

How then would I set up an explosion on demand? Like, pull switch from very very very far away.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

A GTNH-specific Thaumcraft tip: make Primal Shrooms as soon as possible. They are plants that, once fully grown and broken by punching them, explode into little orbs that your wand can collect to recharge. They also drop themselves, so you only ever need to make one set. You can also grow them quickly with a watering can or sprinkler, as well as use the stone builder's wand to copy a fully grown one.

You can make them as soon as you have a crucible, and I make them before I even make the arcane crafting table. Searching for nodes sucks and using them with GTNH's endless procession of progression-related iron capped wands sucks even more. Primal Shrooms let you skip using nodes completely if you want.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Potsticker posted:

Depending on the version of Thaumcraft it will cause warp (or do nothing) when you flush with aspects remaining in it. This is by design as a way to make sure the player has to deal with a little warp to start with and that way when you get into the ways on how to deal with and scrub it it's actually useful instead of the player just sidestepping the mechanic completely.

Oh, interesting. I don't think I had to deal with warp regardless until I was well into the process of automating thaumcrafty stuff (at which point a big ol warp tendril ate through a good swath of my skyblock base and broke AE2 plumbing for a while) but it's cool to know there's some built in tutorializing for that stuff.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The warp is your friend. Trust the warp. Feed the warp. Embrace the warp.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is this FTB Wiki page still accurate on how to setup a Draconic Evolution reactor?

https://ftb.fandom.com/wiki/Draconic_Evolution_Reactor_Guide

How then would I set up an explosion on demand? Like, pull switch from very very very far away.

Yeah, either throw a switch or something that cuts the power feed into its shield and it will go Very Explodey Very Quickly.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

What do you mean, the "thaumcraft part"? You can avoid using thaumcraft for the entire progression iirc(though thaumcraft does make certain things more convenient). Also last I saw, warp in GTNH was incredibly punishing past 40 or so, in a Summon The Wither On Top Of You kind of way. I'd advise turning off the extra warp effects in Warp Theory, they don't reduce in frequency over time like vanilla effects and some of them will gently caress up your base in unexpected ways.
Oh, and the best ways of removing warp are locked behind later voltage tiers. I forget if it was HV or EV or IV.

Don't bother complaining to the devs about how punishing and unbalanced it is, I think they actually want it to be something that screws you over more than it's useful, until you can just brute force it with warp removal.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

What do you mean, the "thaumcraft part"? You can avoid using thaumcraft for the entire progression iirc(though thaumcraft does make certain things more convenient). Also last I saw, warp in GTNH was incredibly punishing past 40 or so, in a Summon The Wither On Top Of You kind of way. I'd advise turning off the extra warp effects in Warp Theory, they don't reduce in frequency over time like vanilla effects and some of them will gently caress up your base in unexpected ways.
Oh, and the best ways of removing warp are locked behind later voltage tiers. I forget if it was HV or EV or IV.

Don't bother complaining to the devs about how punishing and unbalanced it is, I think they actually want it to be something that screws you over more than it's useful, until you can just brute force it with warp removal.

They actually overhauled warp in one of the versions released sometime in the last couple of months that moved the spawn wither warp level to 200. Overall, it's much less punishing than it used to be.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive got a super strange problem.

Polymer clay automation.

Everything is fine until i get to the alloy smelter .

So my clay line is always full stacks.
My pulsating dust line is always full stacks.

But after a few hours i will notice my Drawer that distributes the PC everywhere is almost empty (it even got to empty last night and i luckily had 5 diamonds to kickstart my power gen so i could access AE2, so this has happened at least twice)

I check on my systems

1 is my original LV set up, it is fine, though it doesnt have a bank of PC in the smelter because it is being used as soon as it is made because my other lines have stopped.

I then have 2 lines that are set up with MV machines. All the machines have full inputs and outputs EXCEPT the alloy smelter, it has 2 stacks of clay even though the pulsation dust is not being used faster than the clay.
And this is in both of them.

taking the clay out and putting a stack of pulsation dust in, it takes less than 2 minutes to then fully fill my drawer.

So in about 3 minutes im back to full stacks in every machine except the furnace turning the res clathrate into dust (it hovers about 19, but is going up as it is replaced faster than it is used. (The pulsation dust is a full stack in the output). And about 15 mins later in back to where EVERY machine has full input and full output of the correct materials.

But i go and do stuff (or afk) for a few hours, and i come back to the smelter having 2 stacks of clay in the input.

Its driving me insane. Some how the furnace is stopping? sending dust to the smelter. Im using ender item conduits. And they are all set up so that no lines cross.

Im going to change the colour of the dust conduit now but i cant think what else it could be

Machines are in the same chunk, it is chunk loaded.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If I read that right, the alloy smelter is getting plugged with clay. I use limited item filters to ensure a both ingredients are delivered in amounts that won't overrun the machine's inventory unevenly. Consider using a multiple of the ingredients so that the filter doesn't fart around refilling the smelter (a bigger deal with faster machines later).

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
Yeah limited item filters are your best friends they avoid all sorts of clogging issues.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

you did read that right.

And thats exactly what im after.

Thank you

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I did a experiment with a Draconic Evolution reactor. I used superconductor conduit and they immediately exploded when they went live. Was I was supposed to use something else?

The reactor itself didn't start the meltdown countdown until I started breaking stabilizers by hand. I couldn't even use tnt. I wonder if I could push the stabilizers into the core instead with pistons? Either way, it was 120 seconds. I guess there is not an immediate method.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

McFrugal posted:

no, you can;t avoid thaumcraft, it's the only way to make nether stars.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mycroft Holmes posted:

no, you can;t avoid thaumcraft, it's the only way to make nether stars.

No? You can make nether stars the vanilla way. You can also dig up infused gold on T4 planets, which processes into salis mundus without having to touch Thaumcraft.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

No? You can make nether stars the vanilla way. You can also dig up infused gold on T4 planets, which processes into salis mundus without having to touch Thaumcraft.

i needed two nether star plates to make a nasa workbench. the only way to make them was null dust and salis mundus, which require thaumcraft.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i needed two nether star plates to make a nasa workbench. the only way to make them was null dust and salis mundus, which require thaumcraft.

Have you... never played vanilla minecraft before? You kill a wither and they drop a nether star. You can't even make null catalyst without already having some existing nether star dust. Killing at least one wither is hard required in GTNH. Fortunately, they're not buffed, and by the time you get to HV you can make a wagie cagie for them.

It's actually harder to get the skulls than it is to kill your first wither.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
oh, i play on peaceful

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mycroft Holmes posted:

oh, i play on peaceful

Ah, yeah, that will be one of the parts where the run breaks down, then. I don't think there's an alternate pathway for your first nether star in peaceful, since you need nether star dust to make/duplicate null catalyst.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Have you... never played vanilla minecraft before? You kill a wither and they drop a nether star. You can't even make null catalyst without already having some existing nether star dust. Killing at least one wither is hard required in GTNH. Fortunately, they're not buffed, and by the time you get to HV you can make a wagie cagie for them.

It's actually harder to get the skulls than it is to kill your first wither.

What's with the second row of 3 up there?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

What's with the second row of 3 up there?

The wither will occasionally burst free from the first set. It's rare, but it does happen. That keeps it in place.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
just started GTNH!

first few hours thoughts:

I need a lot of gravel.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Impermanent posted:

just started GTNH!

I need a lot of gravel.

This is one of the many things you can steal from a village. Other things include:

* Torches
* Chests
* TiCon tables
* nearly every part for a bed including fences and carpet
* Doors
* Lava (do this later)
* Books
* Crafting tables
* Seared brick blocks for expanding your smeltery (put in a forge hammer for extra bricks too)

Probably other stuff too that I'm forgetting. Villages are for looting; take everything.

e: oh, and carrots sometimes, too, for THAT quest.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 1, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Brick houses are a very good find as well and also for deconstructing.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
How does GTHN compare to SevTech Ages? I'm absolutely smitten with SevTech and have basically run through it on three separate occasions. It's super fulfilling and I love rooting through all the mods and coming up with ingenious systems to make them work even better together.

However, I've never played any other MC mods and would love suggestions, GTHN or otherwise!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Punkreas posted:

How does GTHN compare to SevTech Ages? I'm absolutely smitten with SevTech and have basically run through it on three separate occasions. It's super fulfilling and I love rooting through all the mods and coming up with ingenious systems to make them work even better together.

However, I've never played any other MC mods and would love suggestions, GTHN or otherwise!

GTNH is masochism: the modpack and designed to take months (at least) to complete. if you're looking for a bunch of interwoven mods then Project Ozone 3 on the harder difficulties (Kappa or Mythic) will make you deal with a bunch of magic and tech with some exploration on the side.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

Punkreas posted:

I didn't love everything about Sevtech but I would say the pack that I have done that has felt the most like it was Dungeons Dragons and Space Shuttles

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/dungeons-dragons-and-space-shuttles

Same quest driven feel not nearly as bad an early game.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Punkreas posted:

GTNH is similar to sevtech ages in that it has several stages of progression. They aren't strictly enforced like they are in sevtech, though -- you can see the recipe of everything in the game from the start (minus unresearched thaumcraft stuff). Skipping some progression milestones is difficult but doable -- you can, for instance, defer crafting rockets almost entirely until endgame if you are willing to engage in brutal, self-harm-adjacent grinding for alternate resource gathering pathways.

However, be warned -- despite being in active development and getting brand new mods and bugfixes to this day, GTNH is an Old Pack. As such, it subscribes to the Old Ways. In particular, mishandling power and mishandling machines (such as letting them get rained on) causes explosions. Handling fissile material without the proper PPE gives you radiation sickness that can only be cleared by gallons of milk or death. Nuclear mishaps turn into nuclear explosions, and so on. There are also irritants like Infernal Mobs and pollution, but these can be turned off. I find it pretty necessary to sand down the hard edges.

However, if you're of the right mind, it can completely ruin you for other modded packs.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Wow they just go ahead and give you a door in a quest a few hours in to gtnh. "Masochistic pack" my foot. You get free cotton seeds from tilling the soil!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Impermanent posted:

just started GTNH!

I need a lot of gravel.

my enduring memory from early gregtech is calcite! calcite all the time!

idk if this is still current however

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

socialsecurity posted:

I didn't love everything about Sevtech but I would say the pack that I have done that has felt the most like it was Dungeons Dragons and Space Shuttles

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/dungeons-dragons-and-space-shuttles

Same quest driven feel not nearly as bad an early game.
I remember trying this and it taking more memory and performing worse than any other pack I'd ever played. Which wasn't that surprising given the size of the pack, but did prevent me from playing it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

my enduring memory from early gregtech is calcite! calcite all the time!

idk if this is still current however

Yep, getting the first bricked blast furnace to make steel takes 36 calcite and gypsum, which are both the rare ores in two different veins. You need to rip apart a couple chunks worth of ore veins to get enough of each. My general early game strat to make that suck less (other than cheating) is to put it on peaceful and delve a roguelike dungeon until I find 4 steel. With that you make 16 alumite dust, toss it in the smeltery to make large alumite plates, and get a tool forge. It's a lot less painful to mine a whole vein when you've got a TiCon hammer.

Although a much older version used a Bronze Blast Furnace, which just needed something like 480 bronze ingots. It also sucked!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

drat yeah i remember the bronze. that sucked a whole lot

stocked up a load of bronze last time i restarted gregtech. imagine my surprise once calcite entered the fray

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

You can also find steel ingots in other worldgen chests, like village blacksmiths or under those thaumcraft spider trees (break the chest; the spawner has ridiculous hardness.)

For calcite, it shares a vein with lapis, so reserve a crushed lapis ore that you find from any other vein (it can spawn anywhere in the overworld as a small ore) or buy a sample lapis ore from the coin store, then load it into your ore wand. Put the ore wand in your hotbar. Hit F9 until you get the chunk mode (it has a blue column shining on the dead center of every ore chunk, and rectangular borders around the whole 3x3) and ride around on your horse until Visual Prospecting gives you a result. You only need 36 ore so you should be able to find that in a single kyanite vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Impermanent posted:

Wow they just go ahead and give you a door in a quest a few hours in to gtnh. "Masochistic pack" my foot. You get free cotton seeds from tilling the soil!
Back in my day we had to chop a tree, repair the tool three times, and in the end we only got a single stick! That's the gregtech I know!

GTNH has a lot of scope but is also not masochism. It's... pretty good at achieving the initial vision of GregTech without resorting to the masochism gregtech introduced to achieve that vision.

If you want to finish the pack in a night or three and build all the cool stuff then go play something else. If you want a pack that will last a long while and have you figuring out various solutions at various tech levels then it's legit. It's more for people who get annoyed with the lack of continuity/progression/"meaning" in most normal modpacks than it is for people who hate themselves.