Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yeah the bullets to googly eyes bit was definitely a Matrix homage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
"SO STUPID!"

That moment was so great because I often say that out loud at something I'm watching when it's making me laugh and I become aware of how silly it is. It's my own version of "nothing matters" from Evelyn's conclusion.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Apparently this is back in theaters now with 8 extra minutes of footage.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I heard that was the case. There's 2 theaters in town that are still running it; I should see which version they have.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
It’s the same movie with outtakes at the end.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I've been putting this off forever but finally saw it and am completely stunned by this movie. My face was contorted in a expression of shock, joy, and horror, practically the whole time. Don't think I've felt like this about a movie since Fury Road.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was looking forward to this. The concept seemed right up my alley and all. I was pretty much on board for the first half of the film, if not blown away, but once it got to part 2 it just became a total slog for me. It felt like the film was concluding for an entire hour. This is becoming a frustratingly common thing in mainstream films, where they start off with an awesome concept but resort to 45 minutes of endless epic “battle” that could be condensed down to 15 and nothing would be lost. I respect the film for what it attempted, though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Deleted scenes are pretty good, but you can see why they cut them. Especially the longer intro and Barbie girl ending. But sad they had to cut the spaghetti universe and chill pacifist alpha Waymond.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I was looking forward to this. The concept seemed right up my alley and all. I was pretty much on board for the first half of the film, if not blown away, but once it got to part 2 it just became a total slog for me. It felt like the film was concluding for an entire hour. This is becoming a frustratingly common thing in mainstream films, where they start off with an awesome concept but resort to 45 minutes of endless epic “battle” that could be condensed down to 15 and nothing would be lost. I respect the film for what it attempted, though.

While the ending was clear, I still found it touching and beautiful. A good narrative is a bit like chess where there is unlimited potential at the start but after a certain point there are only so many moves that make sense. But how those moves play out is where the actual game is. In EEAAO, those moves alternated between deeply emotionally affecting, jaw droppingly awesome and absurdly hilarious. Holy poo poo, what more could you want from a movie other than truly perfect productions like Mad God or Pacific Rim?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The movie takes a while to “end” because there are multiple story threads to conclude. The family as a whole is trying to reconnect, and in order to do that Evelyn must learn to empathize with Waymond, her father, and then finally Joy. The entire first part is a typical messiah story in which she tries to solve all the issues through strength (and fun fights). But this fails and she must learn to understand each. So you have 3 separate “endings” for each member. But Joy must also willingly reconnect with her mother. It’s not enough to be pulled out of the bagel, she must want to come out and be with everyone again.

The final ending of part 3 is conclusion for the family as a whole. It acknowledges that the things are improving for the family, but there is work left to do. So there’s lots of endings, but none feel wasted or unnecessary.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so this is the Super Smash Bros Ness baseball bat sound effect right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9XB-Tt8X9I&t=104s

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This movie really did fill in the giant hole left by The Matrix 4 and what a weird disappointment it ended up being to many fans

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah definitely Smash effect. You hear that earlier also when the super pinky is first introduced and she takes out a guy with a nice up smash. There’s also a portion of the matrix music theme at one point, or at least a reference to it.

Also that clip shows how good all the editing is. Love it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

checkplease posted:

Yeah definitely Smash effect. You hear that earlier also when the super pinky is first introduced and she takes out a guy with a nice up smash. There’s also a portion of the matrix music theme at one point, or at least a reference to it.

Also that clip shows how good all the editing is. Love it.

I liked at the end that when the Mom tried to make a big show out of supporting her daughter's homosexuality it completely blew up in her face because it was never ABOUT her, and also it didn't erase the years of bullshit that she put her daughter through before hand. Also that all the excuses about "But my father is old, he won't UNDERSTAND" completely fell apart because after he was left alone with his future daughter in law he was nothing but nice about it, showing that it was never HIS problem. He was surprised, but happy to meet the girl who made his granddaughter happy

Also the montage midway through after the mother sees the bagel and starts blowing up all of her lives in a nihilistic rampage was an interesting bit too, signing the divorce papers, smashing up her own business, breaking her alternate version ceo ex''s heart, destroying her colleague at the restaurant then just fully abandoning singing to just SCREAM at the audience.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 30, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah Alpha Waymond originally says the Bagel is causing all these bad feelings and things to not be right. But he’s just using the Bagel as the Other here. These people or group are taking jobs or corrupting culture, gotta fight them. And he’s shown to be wrong when Joy laughs at her mother for blaming the bagel for Joy’s homosexuality. And we learn that the bagel is really just a tool for multiverse level suicide. Jobu is joy, she’s not corrupted. She is very depressed.

There is a cut scene that makes this more explicit. Evelyn and Joy visit an alpha universe that has turned pacifist. This alpha Waymond states that the verse jumping just allowed everyone to find a universe that supported their views/ideas on everything. So everyone just assumed they had the truth and fought each other. Each person saw others who disagreed with them as a bagel.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's also interesting with the contrast with the Raccocoie reality - that is the one reality where Waymond does not exist in a meaningful way. In every other reality, Waymond (or in one case her father in the blind singer reality which foreshadows that he was never the problem in her relationship with her daughter, but an excuse that she kept using) helps walk back the damage that she's done in her nihilistic rampage - in the prime reality he helps calm the IRS, in the Movie Star Kung Fu Reality he refuses to let her behaviour break him, and in the blind singer reality her father joins her on stage after and helps rescue her disastrous performance. However in Raccocoie she is completely alone. That's the only reality in which the kindness has to come from somewhere internal, purely from herself. She has to fix that reality ALL on her own, and it's also in many ways the hardest one for her to fix. It seems silly, but that reality is the one in which she fully internalises Waymond's philosophy of kindness.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 31, 2022

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

BioEnchanted posted:

It's also interesting with the contrast with the Raccocoie reality - that is the one reality where Waymond does not exist in a meaningful way. In every other reality, Waymond (or in one case her father in the blind singer reality which foreshadows that he was never the problem in her relationship with her daughter, but an excuse that she kept using) helps walk back the damage that she's done in her nihilistic rampage - in the prime reality he helps calm the IRS, in the Movie Star Kung Fu Reality he refuses to let her behaviour break him, and in the blind singer reality her father joins her on stage after and helps rescue her disastrous performance. However in Raccocoie she is completely alone. That's the only reality in which the kindness has to come from somewhere internal, purely from herself. She has to fix that reality ALL on her own, and it's also in many ways the hardest one for her to fix. It seems silly, but that reality is the one in which she fully internalises Waymond's philosophy of kindness.

Yeah, also with the hot dog fingers, although that had to do with her relationship with auditor Dierdre. I really really love showing that sexual identity is fundamental to a person through Evelyn having to go back 10,002,022 years to find a split in human evolution where she will be made differently.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I liked the multiverse where people were rocks so Evelyn put on Googlie eyes and chased her rock daughter off a cliff.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
In the making of documentary, the Daniels regret they did not film those rock scenes with imax cameras. Missed chance.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

checkplease posted:

In the making of documentary, the Daniels regret they did not film those rock scenes with imax cameras. Missed chance.

though the behind the scenes where they ran towards home depot or whatever yelling "TIME TO BUY SOME ROCKS" was delightful

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KirbyKhan posted:

I liked the multiverse where people were rocks so Evelyn put on Googlie eyes and chased her rock daughter off a cliff.

I mean

Rock Evelyn was the point in the movie where I really sat up and went "holy gently caress, the audacity"

In amongst all the other stuff it's doing, the movie plays with form and characterization in the exact same way Chuck Jones did in Duck Amuck, constantly implicitly asking you, is this still Daffy? How about now? Now there's two of them. Now he looks like this, is it still Daffy?

Rock Evelyn is this moment:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I love that they managed to make a drat rock so endearing. It was actually a sweet moment when Rock Evelyn is playfully going after Rock Joy.

And they're just rocks.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's also an incredible switch of pace from the scene before it, which is intense even by the standards of this extraordinarily intense film.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

I mean

Now he looks like this, is it still Daffy?

Rock Evelyn is this moment:

Yeah, that's daffy, got the bill and the eyes and everything

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got back from showing this to most of my family - my father and brother really enjoyed it, but while my mother had a lot of trouble following it and kept falling asleep because the subtitled chinese compounded with the confusing narrative to just kind of lose her, she was able to appreciate most of what she did see when she woke up towards the end, even if she didn't get what was actually going on. She thought it was a very clever movie, it was just too much for her to follow.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oh my parents absolutely hated it when I showed them

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Friend of mine didn't like it because "they yell at each other too much"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watched a fun clip on YouTube where the director refers to the first fight scene as a “training wheels” sequence that essentially teaches the audience how to watch the movie and I think that’s an awesome way of looking at your own films and thinking about your audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2k3esJHFuE

Edit: …and they’ve cleared $100,000,000 at the BO, this is A24’s biggest movie!!! Cinema is saved!!!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 1, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hahaha holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1554176253233709061?s=21&t=g8g32eeXfn7YaWOVXMtH_g

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I appreciate someone being so out of touch with modern discourse that they literally don’t see the parallel here, it would be almost refreshing if it weren’t so stupid

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So much of the TERF argument is "No this is different!"

Locker room panics, children being corrupted, but NO THIS TIME IT'S REAL TRUST US

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One of my favourite gags that I noticed when rewatching it was the dialog in the musical playing in the Laundromat at the start - it foreshadows the nightmarish hotdog finger version by the normal version having the actors describe each other as "So Delicious" in their lyrics/dialog in a metaphorical way but then when it's hotdog world their dialog has completely devolved into just flopping their hands around going "Flop flop flop" before things get messy. It's like Hotdog world is completely self aware about just how dumb it is and is having fun with it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I saw this film finally on Saturday evening and have not been able to shake it from my mind. Everything about it is so wonderfully crafted and presented that it feels like a real cinematic moment.

I usually have two films vying for my favourite film of all time spot. This effortlessly adds itself to that duo.

Every single actor brought a game beyond their A. Especially Michelle Yeoh who I will watch in anything. She is almost carrying the whole thing on her shoulders with a very assured confidence in the entirety.

Key Hu Quan was my absolute favourite part and the person I identified with the most. His ease of showing us different Waymonds makes me wish we had gotten him in a few leading roles sooner. I hope he makes an awesome comeback!

Stephanie Hsu had the toughest part I think and again, nailed it. She is perfectly innocent and malevolent and hurt and lost and powerful and everything her part needed her to be.

James Hong is brilliant in everything and this way no exception. Plus I like that Jamie Lee Curtis seems to be having a wild second wind lately. :)

I loved one of the messages within the film, it marries up a lot with how I feel about the world. Being kind, even in the face of nihilism, is the right thing to do when not everyone shares the same viewpoint as you. Nothing matters to you, as such, but to others it does and being Kind, listening, being there, is important for making things matter.

So many smarter people have lauded this film in this thread before me and I loved reading the interpretations and praise for it. I love it. I want it to win awards and be even more visible than it is. I want good things for all involved because it has been fourteen years since I fell so in love with a film.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I saw this film finally on Saturday evening and have not been able to shake it from my mind. Everything about it is so wonderfully crafted and presented that it feels like a real cinematic moment.

I usually have two films vying for my favourite film of all time spot. This effortlessly adds itself to that duo.

Every single actor brought a game beyond their A. Especially Michelle Yeoh who I will watch in anything. She is almost carrying the whole thing on her shoulders with a very assured confidence in the entirety.

Key Hu Quan was my absolute favourite part and the person I identified with the most. His ease of showing us different Waymonds makes me wish we had gotten him in a few leading roles sooner. I hope he makes an awesome comeback!

Stephanie Hsu had the toughest part I think and again, nailed it. She is perfectly innocent and malevolent and hurt and lost and powerful and everything her part needed her to be.

James Hong is brilliant in everything and this way no exception. Plus I like that Jamie Lee Curtis seems to be having a wild second wind lately. :)

I loved one of the messages within the film, it marries up a lot with how I feel about the world. Being kind, even in the face of nihilism, is the right thing to do when not everyone shares the same viewpoint as you. Nothing matters to you, as such, but to others it does and being Kind, listening, being there, is important for making things matter.

So many smarter people have lauded this film in this thread before me and I loved reading the interpretations and praise for it. I love it. I want it to win awards and be even more visible than it is. I want good things for all involved because it has been fourteen years since I fell so in love with a film.

gonna be honest, I need to know what the other two films are.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

silvergoose posted:

gonna be honest, I need to know what the other two films are.

Raiders of the Lost Ark which I was obsessed with as a kid and still love to bits even now. (I think the truck chase after the box with the arc in it is still exhilarating) and Wall-E which I think is probably my most favourite film ever.

It has just amazing animation and textures and direction (when Wall-E is chasing the red dot I am still amazed at how fast the animation is and how much it looks like a regular film) and again the message of the film is heartwarming and as a story it is lovely and funny and magical. :)

A couple of goofy picks I know but along with this film I think as a trio they offer a whole range of the things I love the most from film as a medium.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Raiders of the Lost Ark which I was obsessed with as a kid and still love to bits even now. (I think the truck chase after the box with the arc in it is still exhilarating) and Wall-E which I think is probably my most favourite film ever.

It has just amazing animation and textures and direction (when Wall-E is chasing the red dot I am still amazed at how fast the animation is and how much it looks like a regular film) and again the message of the film is heartwarming and as a story it is lovely and funny and magical. :)

A couple of goofy picks I know but along with this film I think as a trio they offer a whole range of the things I love the most from film as a medium.

Excellent choices, both.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

One of my favourite gags that I noticed when rewatching it was the dialog in the musical playing in the Laundromat at the start - it foreshadows the nightmarish hotdog finger version by the normal version having the actors describe each other as "So Delicious" in their lyrics/dialog in a metaphorical way but then when it's hotdog world their dialog has completely devolved into just flopping their hands around going "Flop flop flop" before things get messy. It's like Hotdog world is completely self aware about just how dumb it is and is having fun with it.

Hot Dog world is great because it's the whole film in microcosm. It's completely goofy and hilarious, but then it breaks our heart and repairs it, because Hot Dog finger people have real feelings, deserve happiness and have journeys to achieve it too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They don't deserve happiness

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-directors-daniel-universal-1235331472/

looks like the Daniels are getting some big studio support now thanks to success of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Regardless of what you actually think of the script or execution, people are talking about it because it’s the most interesting movie that came out in quite a while. I won’t be surprised if we see it’s inspirations slowly leak out over the next decade