Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Echoing glass bottle Topo Chico is number 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Kroger brand seltzer is the only one I’ve found with volumes of CO2 comparable to Topo Chico. It’s cheap and in a can so it’s better for cocktails where you’re just topping with a splash. But stuff like ranch waters where the seltzer is a primary flavoring agent and you’re likely to be drinking it out of the bottle Topo rules.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

obi_ant posted:

Professor Wayne, let us know what you think of it!

The Paranubes is good! I need to try it in a daiquiri since I got fresh limes today. But I gave it a sip last night and tried it in a creole sazerac. It reminds me a lot of cachaça

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Paranubes is essentially an agricole without the name, and so is cachaca, so you're right on the money.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

prayer group posted:

Paranubes is essentially an agricole without the name, and so is cachaca, so you're right on the money.

Ahhh you know I never really realized that but I LOVE cachaca so this makes a ton of sense. Sounds like I need to buy some Hamilton rum.

Last night I was going to have some Mortlach 16 neat (one of my fave bottles of Scotch) but decided to make a perfect Manhattan with it. It was delightful, if not a little indulgent

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
We have really hard city water, so I bypass the water softener, pass it through a charcoal filter, and put it into a keg, and just have 5 gallons on tap.

Which actually just ran out. I guess I had too many glasses of bitters and water, much to my wife's dismay when she got a glass of co2 instead of water.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bitters and water? That's a thing?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, also it rules, especially if you feel like a digestif and don’t want an actual drink. I like one after lunch sometimes.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Honestly on the water front, if you have good water it's super easy to carbonate your own. I held off a long time thinking I didn't have the space or whatever, but it's been a game changer. I can get super sparkling 2 liters of water when I want! Plus if you've never had a carbonated Manhattan they are amazing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I did that, it was amazing. I opted for a 5 lb tank, just a tiny bit more expensive for a much larger capacity - fewer trips to the gas supplier.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I just bought a bottle of Strega and so am now putting Strega in everything. I made a Corpse Reviver No 2 with Strega instead of Absinthe and it was real tasty.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Made two Jungle Birds with two different bases...

2 ounces blackstrap rum
3/4 ounce Campari
1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce demerara syrup

Hamilton 86 Demerara - woody, earth, really orange forward, very tropical like, fruit punch, Campari shows up very well, although I might down it to .50oz
Hamilton Pot Still Black - funk shows up very well, dense, dark and rotten fruits. I very much prefer this one over the 86, although the 86 seems like a totally different drink.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GIn talk:

I just started messing with gin about a month ago and I've tried maybe 10 brands? So far by far the best cheapo stuff I've had is Citadelle, best overall is 135 East.

I did just pick up a bottle of Barr Hill and holy crap. It's a bit pricey so I was rationing it on the rocks, but I just mixed up a g&t with it and holy poo poo. The botanicals pair up super well with the tonic and the honey aftertaste is just :discourse:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

obi_ant posted:

Made two Jungle Birds with two different bases...

2 ounces blackstrap rum
3/4 ounce Campari
1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce demerara syrup

Hamilton 86 Demerara - woody, earth, really orange forward, very tropical like, fruit punch, Campari shows up very well, although I might down it to .50oz
Hamilton Pot Still Black - funk shows up very well, dense, dark and rotten fruits. I very much prefer this one over the 86, although the 86 seems like a totally different drink.

True transcendence will be achieved with a split base, 1oz of each. Two rums will do what one rum can't, I think Beachbum Berry or one of those motherfuckers said that.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

prayer group posted:

True transcendence will be achieved with a split base, 1oz of each. Two rums will do what one rum can't, I think Beachbum Berry or one of those motherfuckers said that.

You son of a bitch, I'm in! Will report back tomorrow.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Snow Cone Capone posted:

GIn talk:

I just started messing with gin about a month ago and I've tried maybe 10 brands? So far by far the best cheapo stuff I've had is Citadelle, best overall is 135 East.

I did just pick up a bottle of Barr Hill and holy crap. It's a bit pricey so I was rationing it on the rocks, but I just mixed up a g&t with it and holy poo poo. The botanicals pair up super well with the tonic and the honey aftertaste is just :discourse:

I really like Citadelle, it's a really good base for my non-dirty martinis. The Botanist is another favorite, but gets a bit spendy. It's so good, though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I really like Aria and it seems relatively unknown outside of the PNW.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Has anyone had any success with using sweetened condensed milk in a milk punch? I've done a number of clarified milk punches using just the regular stuff, but was thinking of adding some condensed milk to make a more thai iced tea inspired version. I'm not sure if the cooking the cans go through would impact it's ability to clarify though. Anyone tried using the stuff?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Made my first batch of Oleo-Saccharum today. Grapefruit for palomas. Man if that isn't an utterly transcendent mixture. What other good drinks can I make with this before it runs out, or should I just embalm myself with palomas which to be fair seems like a very good strategy.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

50/50 with the Jungle Bird is wonderful, you get the funk at the start then the fruitiness at the end.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Just made a couple of Dirty Shirley’s, one with grenadine and one with Luxardo cherry muck. Both one dimensionally sweet and downright dreadful, and I even made them with lemon-lime seltzer. How in the world are people drinking these with actual full sugar soda?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

tonedef131 posted:

Just made a couple of Dirty Shirley’s, one with grenadine and one with Luxardo cherry muck. Both one dimensionally sweet and downright dreadful, and I even made them with lemon-lime seltzer. How in the world are people drinking these with actual full sugar soda?
Did you use homemade grenadine? that probably would make a difference but yeah, I like sweet drinks but I really can't fathom what level of lead poisoning is driving this dreck.

What's everyone's true drink of summer? I've been rocking Greg's Improved Cactus Water, which is basically just a tequila highball with a tajin rim and it's incredibly refreshing and easy to drink without just being a big glass of mildly boozy sugar.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1553843508611403776?s=20&t=Ry26IQptXszwIRLJgIbQww

:d2a:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I went to Foxwoods last weekend and it’s truly mindblowing how bad the drinks there are. Doesn’t matter if you’re getting it for free off a tray from a server that’s making rounds on the gaming floor or paying $16 at a bar, you’re getting the same sub-airport quality drink, filled to the rim with hotel ice and unstirred so that the syrup or whatever all sits at the bottom.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Did you use homemade grenadine? that probably would make a difference but yeah, I like sweet drinks but I really can't fathom what level of lead poisoning is driving this dreck.

What's everyone's true drink of summer? I've been rocking Greg's Improved Cactus Water, which is basically just a tequila highball with a tajin rim and it's incredibly refreshing and easy to drink without just being a big glass of mildly boozy sugar.

Yeah I use Morgenthaler’s grenadine recipe and that was definitely the preferred version due to the acid from the pomegranate. I’m not a vodka cocktail guy so I didn’t figure it would be for me but thought maybe with the seltzer it wouldn’t be so bad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Strange Matter posted:

Gin and tonic is my everlasting drink of the summer, every summer.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I love a good G&T, but so far bitters and carbonated water is putting up a good showing this year. If nothing else, I can drink it all afternoon and not have any issues.

Looking forward to smoking more cocktails this fall though, my first few tries when the heat hasn't been stupid outside have been pretty good. Except for burning nutmeg, that was AWFUL.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Gordon’s Cup is my ultimate summer drink.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Americano here, though I mix it up by using random amari instead of always doing Campari.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My drink of the summer would surely be some blended ice drink if I didn't keep forgetting to do it before the kids go to bed, and just settle on something stirred or shaken instead

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Pastis of course. Or a Pimm’s Cup with a bit of gin and cucumber. Or a daiquiri.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tom collins with a few splashes of bitters rolled around the glass first, light on the simple syrup :discourse:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Brandy and soda. Feels more luxurious than it is.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Does a cheap tall boy with half a lime squeezed into it count as a cocktail? If not then nothing says summer to me like the classic rum and coke in a plastic cup.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

Does a cheap tall boy with half a lime squeezed into it count as a cocktail? If not then nothing says summer to me like the classic rum and coke in a plastic cup.

oh yeah I forgot we've been rocking Spaghetts for a couple weeks now and they own

crack a miller high life, take a swig, fill it back up with Campari, drop a lime wedge in :hai:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Can’t forget a mint julep.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Snow Cone Capone posted:

oh yeah I forgot we've been rocking Spaghetts for a couple weeks now and they own

crack a miller high life, take a swig, fill it back up with Campari, drop a lime wedge in :hai:

Camparty?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

that's a way better name for it tbh, but the internet calls them spaghetts and i always say it in the tim & eric voice

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oh poo poo that sounds great. Might whip one up tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Can’t forget a mint julep.

Garden/patio container or three of mint plants makes for a great summer.