Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of Michael Gove (and psychic damage), I came across a loving doozy of a thing recently that I'm not quite sure how to process.

This is wilder than the magic oranges. Was there really a movement to replace evidence and dialectic based history with fighting Irish giants for rocks? And it worked? And nobody made a bigger deal about Michael Gove wanting to replace parts of this history curriculum with mermen while he was writing his own foreword to the Bible?

That's the problem wi' Bri'an these days we've gone soft. No mermen. No fighting Irish giants. Bunch a pussies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Aspartame is the one in Max/Zero but in the last 10 years Diet moved to the same.

The other one is acesulfame potassium, I think it's in higher quantities in Max/Zero. I don't think I drink enough diet coke to determine whether it would give me the same headaches if I had more of it though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/02/labour-power-keir-starmer

Starmer's Labour: they'll promise nothing, then under-deliver!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

At this point everything causes cancer

Being alive causes cancer and death is the only cure.

Also, gently caress cancer. :(

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Sugar tastes better. I much prefer to have a sugary treat as god intended, if I'm going to have something sweet. Better to have 1 thing that you really enjoy than multiple that are passable when it comes to food imo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

It was now the King of Ireland's turn to laugh.

This works great with your av.

Some strange stuff there, but I wish Gove well in his revisionist text that brings his merman lineage back into British history

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
God intended for us all to die of cancer.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/pressgazette/status/1554397356275245058?s=19

Lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:rip: Nick Gropem

may you finally gently caress off

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Some strange stuff there, but I wish Gove well in his revisionist text that brings his merman lineage back into British history
If I was being charitable I'd say it was doing the Herodotus thing of mixing history, mythology, and speculation and saying "well some have said it's just a story eh, who can tell."

If I was being less charitable I'd say it was doing the David Icke thing of talking utter bollocks, pure made up poo poo and random half remembered bits of popular media, and saying "well some have said it's just a story eh, who can tell (I'm right btw)."

I've not even got to the bits about the Empire, but given the date of publication and the sorts of people who enjoy it...

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I can immediately tell if something has Stevia in it and it tastes so bad it gives me a headache. Weird stuff.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i cant believe truss wont get us into a shooting war but only because pelosi will do it first

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What do you think she'll do to get us hosed over by a hot war? Send troops into Odessa? Annex Kaliningrad? Reinvade the Falklands even though there's no-one to fight there this time?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Follow in the infallible footsteps of Winston Churchill and invade the Donbas via Gallipoli and Cork.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

What do you think she'll do to get us hosed over by a hot war? Send troops into Odessa? Annex Kaliningrad? Reinvade the Falklands even though there's no-one to fight there this time?

Embargo China

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Wonder what will happen with 'ratbiter' in private eye.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Failed Imagineer posted:

*Chuckles Paracelsus-ishly*

You are Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim and I claim my five pounds (of cyclamate).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Embargo China

Recognising Taiwan would be up there, although I suspect China will just say "who cares what an irrelevant island backwater has to say on the matter"

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Anyone know the significance of octopus emojis in the replies? There’s a gif in there too

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of Michael Gove (and psychic damage), I came across a loving doozy of a thing recently that I'm not quite sure how to process.

I distantly as a small child asking my nan about various religions and things people believed, and getting an answer along the lines of "people believe all different things, some people believe god created the heavens and earth and put people on it, others believe the earth was around for a long time and gods came out of the water to put people on land."
The only thing surprising about Michael Gove believing that dead gods put his people on land is that he's talking about Britain and not Innsmouth.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Flux Wildly posted:

Anyone know the significance of octopus emojis in the replies? There’s a gif in there too

I imagine they're to do with lots of arms and being a little 'handy'.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Flux Wildly posted:

He writes The Observer's hentai review column

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

He writes The Observer's hentai review column

titled Legend of the Obserfiend

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Reveilled posted:

titled Legend of the Obserfiend

Hell, thread title

Lunar Suite posted:

You are Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim and I claim my five pounds (of cyclamate).

Yeah they really don't do names like they used to

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I imagine they're to do with lots of arms and being a little 'handy'.

Ah that makes sense, thanks. Shame to besmirch the good name of octopi though

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The New Statesman has reached apotheosis.

https://twitter.com/tom_usher_/status/1554432877257007105

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Guavanaut posted:

<Our Island Story>

This seems to be a weird and hosed up version of the origin of Britain from Holinshed's Chronicles, which is already weird and hosed up. Neptune here is the nephew of Osiris somehow for example.
Holinshed's Chronicles is also where Shakespeare got a bunch of his 'history' from which explains a lot.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The wording kinda implies an analogy where factory workers that have been humiliated and ignored for years should now storm the factory. Would be great if the New Statesman radicalised some lumpenproles into revolution

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
loving hate those "goal" banners given out to the crowd

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
They didn't ask to be included, they politely waited until the powers that be kindly decided to grace them with acknowledging their existence. Or at least if they did ask I didn't pay attention, which is the same thing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also the women get orders of magnitude less money, so great analogy there New Statesmen you loving cunts.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angepain posted:

They didn't ask to be included, they politely waited until they got far enough in a major tournament at the exact same time there was nothing at all happening in the men's game. The powers that be only then kindly decided to grace them with acknowledging their existence.

Fixed it for you

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/02/jacob-rees-mogg-admits-i-was-wrong-to-say-brexit-would-not-cause-dover-delays

quote:

Jacob Rees-Mogg: I was wrong to say Brexit would not cause Dover delays

Minister blames France for recent problems and suggests Britons might go to Portugal instead

thanks jake

you loving idiot

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Question IRL posted:

2) A lot of the science behind these "sugar is bad for you" when you drill down is science from the 1930's which boiled down to
"If you are fat it must be because you eat too many pies, fatty! The Medical Article."
Basically the foundation for a lot of the scientific research into food, obesity and health either uses a lot of wildly out of date material (still accepted as gospel) or all funded by the diet industry.
I think you have this backwards — it was fat that was incorrectly blamed for obesity for decades on the back of questionable science with dodgy funding, and there’s recently been a realisation that sugar is the far more harmful substance (hence the recent sugar taxes, which I agree are probably not the best approach).

Necrothatcher posted:

I used to sell packets of Smints in high school and got dragged into the headmaster's office because they thought Xylitol was an addictive drug.
Friend of mine was conned into buying Smints thinking they were pills. The group he was with didn’t have the heart to tell him and he still came up through sheer force of placebo.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/guardianopinion/status/1554394335835082752?cxt=HHwWgMCixbbaqJIrAAAA
the opening to this is one of the most powerful examples of Blairite Brain i've ever seen

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s kind of wild to me that my social circles here in Asia are going nuts sharing details of Pelosi’s flight on WeChat and wondering if we’re on the brink of WW3 (we’re not) and everyone back in the UK is still on local news - is it even being reported?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TACD posted:

I think you have this backwards — it was fat that was incorrectly blamed for obesity for decades on the back of questionable science with dodgy funding, and there’s recently been a realisation that sugar is the far more harmful substance (hence the recent sugar taxes, which I agree are probably not the best approach).

The overall point I was making was that a lot of science and medicine around obesity and the study of fat has a lot of really problematic if not crazy roots that are just uncritically followed.

For instance, BMI is still referenced a lot, when it's origins are...interesting, to day the least.

https://elemental.medium.com/the-bizarre-and-racist-history-of-the-bmi-7d8dc2aa33bb

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone here involved in the payment of bills for communal areas of flats? Have your service charges increased because of fuel costs lately? How are people dealing? Reacting? Or do you simply get a 'balancing charge' at the end of your service charge year and everyone has to cough up?

I notified the residents here (which includes me, I'm not some kind of supra-landlord just the Chair of the residents committee - which is also the landlord - for my misfortune!) by letter this morning that because our fixed rate electricity contract ended on Sunday and we're on new rates from yesterday (fixed rate 2 years) which increase our annual common areas bill by £5000 pa (if we used the same in the next 12 months as in the last 12 months), we would like a one off £50 from each flat to contribute towards the increase from Aug to Dec taking the rest from the service charges account, and then from next year increase the monthly service charge by approx £25 per flat to cover the increase.

One of the residents has already verbally attacked our Treasurer and is saying she's going to sell up and move out. I think she'll probably calm down, but I'm guessing any other flat she might buy will be in the exact same situation re increased fuel bills as existing fixed rates come to an end. What is anyone else finding?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s kind of wild to me that my social circles here in Asia are going nuts sharing details of Pelosi’s flight on WeChat and wondering if we’re on the brink of WW3 (we’re not) and everyone back in the UK is still on local news - is it even being reported?

I mean, yes, a bit, but the BBC & most other outlets aren't interested in covering foreign affairs unless it's in an English speaking country. Sorry, a majority white English speaking country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

forkboy84 posted:

I mean, yes, a bit, but the BBC & most other outlets aren't interested in covering foreign affairs unless it's in an English speaking country. Sorry, a majority white English speaking country.

I mean, the US still is, technically?

E: also it’s really interesting to look at overseas news outlets. Like, I’m watching CCTV News now and the way they report is to intercut the important person speaking with the same clip of like 3-5 views of the audience repeated over and over again. It’s super low effort.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 2, 2022