Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
What the hell was THAT Looney tunes poo poo in the flat?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Some notes: the 'new 12mm magnum' is probably the S&W 500 which was released in January 2003, Killer lady must be quite the gun nut to get the newest and biggest revolver on the market.

Also she insisted that Nico had met her before but I'm not remembering her from the previous games.
Unless Khan had a sex change, which would probably be way more interesting of a plot twist than what's in store.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Wait a second, I think I see something untoward... Total speculation on my part, but: I don't think mystery woman is the killer, we've found an ejected bullet casing, but she was using a revolver. They really don't commonly eject bullet casings

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You're right but remember that this is a set-up so evidence may have been left behind intentionally.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
The mystery woman is the killer and the gun is most likely a case of fictional adventure game logic.

Cool looking gun + shell casing for evidence = plot.

I don't think that the developers are gun nuts, especially as it's an English company.

Edit: The gun is most likely going to be fictional.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 1, 2022

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I didn't get the part after Nico slammed the fridge door in the assassins face. The assassin then cocks the gun, shouts "drat" and runs away? Did the gun jam? Was she out of bullets? It wasn't at all clear to me.

Also, it's strange to see Nico in pants and not in a skirt.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Out of bullets I think, the S&W 500 holds only 5.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh dang. So much for me trying to be smart.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

We're back in control of George in this video. We investigate Cholmondely's secret laboratory in an attempt to discover what the hell is going on and we find a lead to a new location where we can relax for a short while.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Kind of makes me wonder if Glastonbury really has this occult town vibe. I just know about the festival.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Kind of makes me wonder if Glastonbury really has this occult town vibe. I just know about the festival.

I'm at work at the moment so I can only be brief right now.

There's a lot of history with Glastonbury. There are numerous legends from several sources regarding Joseph of Arimathea and King Arthur.

It has been a site of religious importance for a millenia or two with a lot of history attached to it, especially with the links to Joseph of Arimathea. The area is also believed to have had a lot of religious significance even before Christianity dominated the land.

There are a lot more recent and even more weird and wonderful legends that have formed over the last century or two.

But the place does have a lot of history regarding folklore and legends. It's pretty famous for its fairies, witches and the like. I believe that it's a very popular pagan hotspot.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 4, 2022

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I was browsing the local second-hand shop for any cool books, and in a pretty cool coincidence, I found a copy of The Sleeping Dragon for the OG xbox! I grabbed it, and now I'm hoping my old console hasn't given up the ghost in the many years it has spent in various cupboards :D

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

inscrutable horse posted:

I was browsing the local second-hand shop for any cool books, and in a pretty cool coincidence, I found a copy of The Sleeping Dragon for the OG xbox! I grabbed it, and now I'm hoping my old console hasn't given up the ghost in the many years it has spent in various cupboards :D

That's great! I've only completed this game a couple of times and that was when I owned a PS2 many years ago.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George gets propositioned in a bedroom by a young woman, shows some underwear to an old lady and then gets all hot & bothered. This update is very dialogue heavy and we get a lot of plot dialogue at the end, also, George really is a prude!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, Templars and ley lines. Seems like the writers enjoyed Foucault's Pendulum. Then again, it's probably a pretty easy connection to make since your basic occult quackery is just mashing conspiracies together.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 6, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Could never finish Foucault's Pendulum. Felt like a joke that goes on for too long. Still, I was pleasantly surprised to see the first game being acknowledged the way it was in this vid.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I had never heard of Foucault's Pendulum until now, it sounds like an interesting read.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Templars returning, albeit under a new guise, as there are also numerous cults and conspiracies that they can draw from. But in some ways, it's nice having links to the first game and it's apparent that we are going to see more of them. I don't mind recurring characters and themes if they are done in a logical way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a great book, one of my favorites. Anyway, I'd still say that this is a pretty mild milking of the Templar mythology compared to, say, Assassin's Creed.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

It's a great book, one of my favorites. Anyway, I'd still say that this is a pretty mild milking of the Templar mythology compared to, say, Assassin's Creed.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll make sure to pick it up in the near future. I'm nearing the end of the Witcher series and I have the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft lined up next.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm attempting to do a test run for the next recording and the game has suddenly decided to revert back to the default resolution. To make changes to the resolution the game needs to restart and with every restart, the resolution was stuck at 800x600. After a quick search, I've found out that enabling Windows XP compatibility fixes the problem and it seems to have done it for now. But it's weird that this has happened after I'd already loaded the game numerous times already without any issues.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 7, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm attempting to do a test run for the next recording and the game has suddenly decided to revert back to the default resolution. To make changes to the resolution the game needs to restart and with every restart, the resolution was stuck at 800x600. After a quick search, I've found out that enabling Windows XP compatibility fixes the problem and it seems to have done it for now. But it's weird that this has happened after I'd already loaded the game numerous times already without any issues.

Sympathies.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was hoping to have another update up by now but enabling Windows XP compatibility has completely hidden the game from OBS, it's like it doesn't even exist anymore. I've stopped using Xsplit to record video updates a while ago because of a frequent bug which makes the recorded video skip occasionally. But I've kept Xsplit around as a backup as it still has some uses and I was able to brute force the game into being recordable through it, but after managing to record an update the skipping bug struck again. I'm going to cancel the subscription as I've been paying for this software for years that has been a big game of roulette of whether it works or not.

After typing all of the above out I decided to go back in and disable XP compatibility, the game loaded up in 1920x1080 with OBS picking it up straight away. There will be an update soon...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we follow Nico as she attempts to crack Vernon's safe.

I've posted about the issues that I've been having with the game suddenly having issues and the fun that ensued afterwards. Trying to record this update was full of even more problems.

Everything was working fine until we hit the theatre. During my first attempt at recording the update, the game started to stutter beyond playability when I went into the back area. Reloading saves isn't usually too much of an issue but there's no way to skip dialogues or cutscenes in this game. I save at the end of a test run but I may have to start making a save in the middle in case of further issues as replaying scenes without a skip is time consuming. I tried recording the theater area a second time and OBS recorded the game audio and commentary just fine, but the entire video was of the main menu even though I didn't access the menu screen at any point of the recording.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Glad you overcame the technical issues, I was waiting for this update.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Of course it's the Voynich manuscript. This is really starting to look like some sort of a conspiracy bingo.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yeah that manuscript was kind of a cliche to bring in the plot even at 2003.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

When the Voynich Manuscript was mentioned I gave a sigh of resignation in my head. They used real artefacts in the previous games and gave them their own narrative, but this one was quite an extensive reach. There are plenty of undeciphered texts that they could have used but they went with one of the most famous ones

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

The Voynich Manuscript was the first thing I thought of, when we heard Vernon talk about a manuscript for the first time. I won't say I'm disappointed I was right (I'll reserve that for predicting the ancient key-and-paper puzzle when Nico found the pencil) but it's a bit of a small let-down to see a plot-point coming that far off.

Still, I'm relieved to see that the game is still very much a classic adventure game! I vaguely remember it being described as more of a puzzle platformer back in the day, and that's what kept me away from it. Hopefully my old Xbox is somewhere in my parents' attic, so I can play along :D

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George and Bruno return to Paris in an effort to track down the dragon lines and end up in the right place at the right time.

This recording session didn't go so well for different reasons. I had a recording go surprisingly well until it came to playing it back and realising that I had forgotten to change the resolution back to widescreen. This was the second attempt and it didn't go too badly but I felt like I explained the death sequences slightly better. In the instances with the fight and the red car, failing those sequences meant that you'd restart the sequences again. It was a different experience when it came to Flap, when the fail state happened I wasn't sure whether it loaded up a save point or it sent you back to a checkpoint. The checkpoint would have been too far back to make any sense, the save seems to make more sense as it was a point at which I had saved but there were two newer saves since that point. It's quite confusing and I don't understand why they'd make a change to the death sequences after the first two.

Fake edit: I also uploaded this update last night so it had time to process for today but I uploaded the unedited video by mistake! :doh:

The Voynich Manuscript was the first thing I thought of, when we heard Vernon talk about a manuscript for the first time. I won't say I'm disappointed I was right (I'll reserve that for predicting the ancient key-and-paper puzzle when Nico found the pencil) but it's a bit of a small let-down to see a plot-point coming that far off.

Still, I'm relieved to see that the game is still very much a classic adventure game! I vaguely remember it being described as more of a puzzle platformer back in the day, and that's what kept me away from it. Hopefully my old Xbox is somewhere in my parents' attic, so I can play along :D

They've definitely took some notes from action-adventure games but thankfully have made sure that this is still very much a classic adventure game. The platforming and crates are treated as puzzles, thankfully. I hope that you are able to find that Xbox. I'm pretty sure that I still have my PS2 but I'm unsure if I kept my copy of BS3.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 13, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I was hoping the book from the Governor of Alcatraz would open up a passage behind the bookshelf.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

So the old xbox still works (sorta; the power button is borked), and it's able to read the disc! But my word, the load times are atrocious! From powering the console on, to actually being able to play is at least 5 minutes :stonk:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the second and final part of George & Nico's time in the theatre. I was hoping to have this update up sooner but I forgot to change the recording resolution, again, when I recorded this morning.

Samovar posted:

I was hoping the book from the Governor of Alcatraz would open up a passage behind the bookshelf.

Then we wouldn't have another crate puzzle followed by a recycled puzzle.

So the old xbox still works (sorta; the power button is borked), and it's able to read the disc! But my word, the load times are atrocious! From powering the console on, to actually being able to play is at least 5 minutes :stonk:

When I have nostalgia for replaying games on the original systems that I played them on, the loading times always seem to escape my memory. I can't remember the loading times on the Ps2 but I'm starting to remember them for some of the other games that I played. I may have to see if I can find the PS2 and the disc at some point to see how things compare now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Does... Does she know how to USE a gun?!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
That guy in the robes totally looked like emperor Palpatine.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George returns to the Congo with Nico to discover what's behind the Omega door. There isn't a whole lot of plot advancement in this video, this segment of the game is pretty much a series of puzzles. I have to apologise for my commentary and gameplay in this video, it's been a hard few days at work and I've not had a lot of sleep. This is the first chance that I've had to record and I was more tired than I thought. Gameplay-wise, I made a few mistakes here and there. Commentary-wise, I had some issues with speaking coherently. The game also decided to crash as it was loading up the final puzzle room which meant I had to redo everything all over again.

Samovar posted:

Does... Does she know how to USE a gun?!

I would assume so as she's Susarro's henchperson for a reason, she just doesn't seem to know how to use this particular gun.

fish and chips and dip posted:

That guy in the robes totally looked like emperor Palpatine.

I've completely forgotten who it actually is. I was taken aback as it was said that Susarro has done away with the Grand Master title and assumed the leadership role himself.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

This woman is the worst assassin of all time.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Maybe Susaro picks them for looking cool with a gun.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George & Nico return to Paris and discover that they weren't the only ones having fun. They also discover that André can be surprisingly helpful when he wants to be. This is a short update as it's an interim for the next segment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

'Smooth-faced' as an insult is pretty small potatoes, Nico - especially when the person in question has a beard.

Also, oh my God, Beatrice is going to be become a follower of Q in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to the stealth segment! George & Nico are at a vague castle in Prague and, for some reason, the guards won't let them go inside! In this video, we also get a glimpse of why George & Nico split up

Bonus videos

Nico Distracting The Guard

I mentioned this in the main video and decided to try it myself afterwards. If you fail the stealth segment at the front door enough times, Nico goes above and beyond once again to ensure that George can move the plot forward. I really dislike George in this video, he is an insecure rear end in a top hat but seems to relish in Nico being in highly uncomfortable situations with other men so he can proceed with his plans.

Edit: I have several free days this week so I will attempt to record some videos in advance. I've recorded videos for the death reel up until this point.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 30, 2022