Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

T.C. posted:

Not a lawyer, just a person who has spent too much time helping with leases.

A year long lease would be a new rental agreement and wouldn't be bound by the terms of your current one unless the current contract says something to the contrary or your local tenancy laws say something. The rent increase notice requirements would be related to the month to month tenancy that your current agreement turns into.

And that’s what I expected it to be. Just wanted to be certain. May not be a lawyer (hell, I’m certainly not) but someone who spent too much time helping with leases is close enough to what I can afford at the moment.

Thanks, I’ll move forward with this in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not a lawyer : here is some free legal advice !

Person who doesn’t want to pay for legal advice : thanks ! That’s good advice

And the wheel of time turns again

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

one of the best parts of not being a lawyer is being able to give legal advice whenever I want without consequences. Meanwhile actual lawyers are just

:goonsay: blah blah blah representation, blah blah blah ethical and professional obligations :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

As a general question, do different states have vastly different laws about how residential leases work? I'm Canadian (BC) and we have very clear laws about allowable rent increases, how fixed term leases roll into month-to-month, how much notice is required for x/y/z, etc., all of which you can't sign away in a lease. Do some states prescribe all those things, others leave it up to the parties entirely, or is it pretty similar across all states?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

euphronius posted:

Clueless poster: I need some legal advice, is it worth contacting a lawyer over this, I ask, in the legal questions thread?

Lawyers: I will not create joinder with you due to the gold Fringe on your forums avatar, you must ask a real lawyer and pay $150 to know if you should ask a lawyer. Remember, this is the legal questions thread, not the legal answers thread!

Not a lawyer : I'm not a lawyer. That said, here is some free legal advice, just remember that I'm a rando on a dead comedy forums of unclear provenance !

Person who doesn’t want to pay for legal advice : thanks ! That’s good advice

And the wheel of time turns again

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Trapick posted:

As a general question, do different states have vastly different laws about how residential leases work?

Yes! Every state will have their own landlord tenant statutes, rules, and precedent that all vary wildly!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also cities!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
American law is extremely localized in general. Most laws are administered by the states individually, and the states delegate a shitload of rulemaking and such to counties and municipalities. How much is delegated depends on the state and the city! States will make laws that affect specific cities - for example, PA passed a law that prevented Pittsburgh specifically from absorbing any neighboring municipalities.

This is why the most common answer from lawyers in this thread is "call a local attorney."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My old landlord asked me to increase rent by 100 after a month to month and I said no then moved out four months later. Ianal but landlords are lazy

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

for example, PA passed a law that prevented Pittsburgh specifically from absorbing any neighboring municipalities.
I feel like this was probably for boring political reasons but it's more fun to imagine Pittsburgh as some invasive viral contagion that must be held back.

Edit:

euphronius posted:

Boring racist reasons .
Oh. :(

Trapick fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 1, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boring racist reasons .

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

euphronius posted:

Boring racist reasons .

This is the story of most of PA.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

joat mon posted:

I think he's already dead, probably in the aughties.

Good point. I read "dying" in the present sense. As in, not dead yet, but knocking on death's door.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I want to create a website where I use weightlifting training plans from books and have those plans show up on my website that can be configured by what the user inputs (Weight, End Date of the Plan etc.). For example, the user will choose training plan #1, input their weight + desired goal + end date of the plan, and it will show a calendar with what workouts need to be done at what weight.

Are there any legal issues of using a training plan that someone else created on my website? Of course the training plans will be linked to the proper source and original creator.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you charging money for your website.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

euphronius posted:

See also my final fantasy 7 guide website I charge 5 dollars for that I cribbed from a 1997 Prima strategy guide

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

euphronius posted:

Not initially, perhaps running some ads / affiliate links. Leading to a potential subscriber model in the future.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Busy Bee posted:

Not initially, perhaps running some ads / affiliate links. Leading to a potential subscriber model in the future.

So you're asking if it is legal to use someone else's intellectual property to make money?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

So you're asking if it is legal to use someone else's intellectual property to make money?

Are workout training plans intellectual property?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

probably should ask yourself "is a workout plan, legally, intellectual property" before asking that question given that's the key question here and the answer is likely "no"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Is it possible to give legal advice using the Socratic Method?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Devor posted:

Is it possible to give legal advice using the Socratic Method?

No.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

probably should ask yourself "is a workout plan, legally, intellectual property" before asking that question given that's the key question here and the answer is likely "no"

Rippetoe has been in litigation over the use of the starting strength trademarks and such. Even if the plan itself is not necessarily copyrightable, that doesn't mean that other types of intellectual property are not potentially at play. Dude should get with someone to go over his planned use of people's workout systems and any intellectual property of said systems he wants to use before winging it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the reason a workout plan is likely not intellectual property is because it is functional. you cannot copyright functional information (the most common example is a recipe is not copyrightable): the core of the copyrighted information must be expressive in some way (art, writing, etc). functional information is (potentially) patentable, or could be a trade secret. but nobody's filed patents for this stuff and if you can find it freely on the internet it's sure not a trade secret. the only real exception is computer code, which everyone has agreed to pretend is a literary work - but that just prohibits direct copying of computer code and not the underlying ideas about how to solve a problem.

a workout plan may be embedded in a copyrightable work that explains how to use it, etc. the core of the plan, like "do five pushups, then five situps, then five pull-ups every day" is functional information and is probably not copyrightable. perhaps copying the plan letter-for-letter might violate a weak copyright on how the information is presented and organized, and there is always the chance that someone is irritated enough over you copying their work they try to make a case on you violating a weak copyright and that at least costs you legal fees.

ironically i would suspect that giving the original author credit probably legally weakens your case, not strengthens it (though it might make it less likely you face a "gently caress you" lawsuit)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

the reason a workout plan is likely not intellectual property is because it is functional. you cannot copyright functional information (the most common example is a recipe is not copyrightable): the core of the copyrighted information must be expressive in some way (art, writing, etc). functional information is (potentially) patentable, or could be a trade secret. but nobody's filed patents for this stuff and if you can find it freely on the internet it's sure not a trade secret. the only real exception is computer code, which everyone has agreed to pretend is a literary work - but that just prohibits direct copying of computer code and not the underlying ideas about how to solve a problem.

a workout plan may be embedded in a copyrightable work that explains how to use it, etc. the core of the plan, like "do five pushups, then five situps, then five pull-ups every day" is functional information and is probably not copyrightable. perhaps copying the plan letter-for-letter might violate a weak copyright on how the information is presented and organized, and there is always the chance that someone is irritated enough over you copying their work they try to make a case on you violating a weak copyright and that at least costs you legal fees.

ironically i would suspect that giving the original author credit probably legally weakens your case, not strengthens it (though it might make it less likely you face a "gently caress you" lawsuit)

I wasn't meaning just copyright. There are other intellectual property rights involved, and some purveyors of workout plans are litigious in defense of things like trademarks and such.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Rippetoe has been in litigation over the use of the starting strength trademarks and such. Even if the plan itself is not necessarily copyrightable, that doesn't mean that other types of intellectual property are not potentially at play. Dude should get with someone to go over his planned use of people's workout systems and any intellectual property of said systems he wants to use before winging it.

this actually gets at the core issue here which is not really a legal answer: intellectual property lawsuits are very hard to win quickly and cheaply (on either side) and it may ultimately be more of a business decision on what level of business risk of just getting sued even if you do it right. this is particularly true because often people's moral instincts on IP do not line up with what the law is (and those moral instincts also tend to be very contradictory, individualized, and self-interested) and so you may often get people who are morally outraged enough to spend money on a lawsuit, costing you money, even if the lawsuit is ultimately meritless.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wasn't meaning just copyright. There are other intellectual property rights involved, and some purveyors of workout plans are litigious in defense of things like trademarks and such.

which is, ironically, why you are probably in more legal danger if you give credit than if you don't. even though i am sure that saying "here is Mr. Nice!'s Lawyer Flab workout plan:" also does not legally violate your trademark on Lawyer Flab but would probably still cost me a decent amount of money if you were to sue me anyway. it's less about not losing, and more about not getting sued.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 2, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I got a voicemail yesterday from a process server who said that a property I have never heard of has a lien against it. They also said that they were calling a person who wasn’t me, who I have never heard of, and gave a social security number that isn’t mine. I own no property of any kind.

My credit score is fine and there are no strange changes on my credit card. Should I investigate this, or ignore it? The person left a phone number with a toll-free area code that they said was the attorney’s office and left a case number.

I am concerned because 1) I don’t want to be the victim of identity theft but 2) don’t want to expose myself if this is a scam.

Are there databases I can use to look up either liens or people with legal action filed against them, or people by SSN? Am I endangering myself if I call the number and explain that I am not the person named in the message? Am I exposing myself to danger if I ignore the call?The address is in Michigan but I am not.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I AM GRANDO posted:

I got a voicemail yesterday from a process server who said that a property I have never heard of has a lien against it. They also said that they were calling a person who wasn’t me, who I have never heard of, and gave a social security number that isn’t mine. I own no property of any kind.

My credit score is fine and there are no strange changes on my credit card. Should I investigate this, or ignore it? The person left a phone number with a toll-free area code that they said was the attorney’s office and left a case number.

I am concerned because 1) I don’t want to be the victim of identity theft but 2) don’t want to expose myself if this is a scam.

Are there databases I can use to look up either liens or people with legal action filed against them, or people by SSN? Am I endangering myself if I call the number and explain that I am not the person named in the message? Am I exposing myself to danger if I ignore the call?The address is in Michigan but I am not.

it seems pretty hard for you to be at legal risk considering the only thing of yours they have is your cell phone number and typically any legal action is more interested in the person's name, their property, or similar things, and credit scores are linked to ssns, not to cell phone numbers

you are free to call them back and tell them they've got the wrong person as a courtesy if you feel like it. if you do i would not give them any identifying information besides "here is the info you left on my voicemail, none of which is mine, you've got the wrong number"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I imagine that if they're working for a real lawyer, you could also look up the information on Michigan bar websites to verify that they're a real lawyer office, and that the phone number is either their firm number or can otherwise be linked to it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

State disciplinary boards will have databases of attorneys along with disciplinary records

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

This tracks with common scam formats; maybe reach out to locak authorities for assistance in responding.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any recommendations for an immigration attorney that doesn't charge a fortune for a consult?

I have what I think is a fairly simple set of questions that I don't think will require actually retaining the attorney, just some guidance.

This is in GA, if that matters.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

dpkg chopra posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for an immigration attorney that doesn't charge a fortune for a consult?

I have what I think is a fairly simple set of questions that I don't think will require actually retaining the attorney, just some guidance.

This is in GA, if that matters.

Check with your local bar association for referrals or a similar referral program. Immigration legal aid groups may also have a list of referrals.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Atlanta should have tons of lawyers.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
As far as I can tell it’s just The Bentley Lawyer and The Super Lawyer, and they both do PI.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I have a legal question. Were any lawyers not involved in the Alex Jones trial productive today or was the whole profession just laughing too hard?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Wasn't this guy one of many Lawyers that Jones has grinded through?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

daslog posted:

Wasn't this guy one of many Lawyers that Jones has grinded through?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Thomamelas posted:

I have a legal question. Were any lawyers not involved in the Alex Jones trial productive today or was the whole profession just laughing too hard?

I'm just not that into snuff films.