Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

At least Grimgrog is far away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
you're the grimgrog now, to the elves

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
Doesn't the dark elf AI love spamming SEMs and darkshards?

I imagine that'd be fairly painful for a dwarf player compared to Grimgrog.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Archaeology Hat posted:

DE artillery is uh, lacking, so Dwarf Artillery would be able to put the pain on the tight-formation Dark Shards.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Randarkman posted:

Seems like the fanatic launch ability has been changed some from how it was like at the end of Warhams. Not sure if that's deliberate or a mistake, as there are several outright mistakes rather than true bugs it seems in the early access version used by streamers, like how Tyrion has both martial prowess and mastery and seemingly stuff like the damage output of razordons being completely busted.

They changed it so it launches from the banner of the night goblin unit rather than being a weird short ranged wind spell where you could summon them down the flanks of who you were fighting through the power of goblin teleportation technology. It's a fairly big nerf because it means fanatic units don't get to do optimal wind spell placement on every fanatic launch, but it does make a lot more sense than the fanatics appearing out of thin air on the side of the unit you were fighting.

Archaeology Hat posted:

Darkshards will rip dwarfs to shreds but grudge throwers will rip darkshards to shreds. It will be excruciatingly painful for the dwarfs until they get their artillery building online and then they can just bring 5 grudge throwers and kill the entire dark elf ranged line before they get to shoot.

Malekith himself is significantly less threatening to dwarfs than Grimgor is very early game; dwarfs resist his early magic fairly well, and Malekith will actually get straight dumpstered in a 1v1 fight by Grombrindal pre-chariot or dragon.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 2, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SEMs are a problem for Dwarfs? You just take your thunderers and cannon and focus them to oblivion.

Multiplayer battles obviously aren't close to how things go down in campaign, but in Warhammer 2 battles with Dwarfs (where they were a low-tier faction but still had some big strengths as a counterpick against certain factions) you basically avoided giving them any large single entity targets. Because they will just dunk on them mercilessly.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah I was wary about the fanatics since I know they've been changed but don't know how badly it impacts them.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Randarkman posted:

At least Grimgrog is far away

He's actually very small.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Should give Grimgrog the Attila TW Hun AI if you play dwarfs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Carcer posted:

Yeah I was wary about the fanatics since I know they've been changed but don't know how badly it impacts them.

If you flank-charge instead of charge head-on they are roughly as effective before because of how they launch.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I do miss early Hams 1 when sometimes grimgrog would roll up on karaz a Karack with a waaagh stack in the first ten turns

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Got Durthu. No shade on him, but he doesn’t seem like the best guy for seeing all the new stuff.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Got Durthu. No shade on him, but he doesn’t seem like the best guy for seeing all the new stuff.

You can freely teleport to any of the magical forests and it sure seems like some are in the Ind/Cathay region based on the names, so there is that. Not perfect, but it's there. Going to the Sisters' start or confederating them also gives you what seems like quick access to a port and sea-lane as well. Not the best. Definitely not the worst. Also immunity to all attrition and a lot of reason to wardec everyone helps!

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
Yeah any Wood Elf faction is a pretty good faction to go travelling with given the whole teleport to a big tree to make the trees happy thing. There are big trees in all the areas with new interesting stuff apart from like the far north of the map too.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

I'd say he's one of the best! You can go pretty much wherever you like and not worry about attrition. If that's still a thing of his, you can wade through chaos land and stomp hordes of marauder gym bros with no problem at all.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

99pct of germs posted:

I don't feel like a winner.

I mean, in terms of a dwarf pull, this is going to be the most interesting one, given his start location. Go beat up Malekith and take his lunch money, then go beat up his mom too. Then sail over to the donut and bully the high elves.

The grudge must be settled.

Re: Skarsnik - is should be an interesting matchup between him and Thorgrim. Sneaky Skulkers don't really have the melee defense to really stand and fight with dwarves, so you can't really just use them as the front line, you have to use them as flankers or else they suck and die. So obviously the AI will always do this.

The good news is since the Grom DLC, you have a lot more answers to low tier dwarves. T2 trolls & pump wagons do absolutely gangbusters against dwarves and give you a proper hammer unit and you can be recruiting them by like turn 5. Skarsnik's absolute best early-mid game unit will be his squig riders, and once you add his leader and red line bonuses to them will absolutely thrash anything they come in contact with.

Edit - and don't forget, his faction makes goblins dirt cheap. Like 40 gold a card, and under a goblin lord they can be buffed to pretty rediculous ends, unlike a lot of races cheap filter units (IE, zombies / deckhands will never really trade up the way that lord buffed goblins will).

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 2, 2022

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, in terms of a dwarf pull, this is going to be the most interesting one, given his start location. Go beat up Malekith and take his lunch money, then go beat up his mom too. Then sail over to the donut and bully the high elves.

Yeah but knowing how CA "balances" factions they'll give him frozen as habitable climate but make temperate island and wasteland inhospitable or something stupid.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

DeathSandwich posted:

Re: Skarsnik - is should be an interesting matchup between him and Thorgrim. Sneaky Skulkers don't really have the melee defense to really stand and fight with dwarves, so you can't really just use them as the front line, you have to use them as flankers or else they suck and die. So obviously the AI will always do this.

The good news is since the Grom DLC, you have a lot more answers to low tier dwarves. T2 trolls & pump wagons do absolutely gangbusters against dwarves and give you a proper hammer unit and you can be recruiting them by like turn 5. Skarsnik's absolute best early-mid game unit will be his squig riders, and once you add his leader and red line bonuses to them will absolutely thrash anything they come in contact with.

Edit - and don't forget, his faction makes goblins dirt cheap. Like 40 gold a card, and under a goblin lord they can be buffed to pretty rediculous ends, unlike a lot of races cheap filter units (IE, zombies / deckhands will never really trade up the way that lord buffed goblins will).

The grudge with the elves in general was settled by taking the high kings hat, Malekith needs some personal dunking on though.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
We take a break from our regularly scheduled Arghy dunking to bring you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0emnNGcfCM
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-introducing-vilitch/

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LostRook posted:

We take a break from our regularly scheduled Arghy dunking to bring you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0emnNGcfCM
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-introducing-vilitch/

Not too much information there yet, but supposedly an LP is coming tomorrow. Cheaper teleport and he (they?) get buffs to MA/MD and spell mastery when casting or fighting seem to be the highlights.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'm glad they properly captured how gross Villitch looks

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It takes a Villitch to raze an empire

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Vilitch’s IE start position will be in the northeastern most territory, across the Great Bastion:

https://mobile.twitter.com/totalwar/status/1554477761795969026

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I approve of this, Vilitch is an appropriately nasty lil guy and I think this'll be a fun variant to play with

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

really digging the look of the Tzeentch champions. CA is really blowing it out of the park with this DLC

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kazzah posted:

It takes a Villitch to raze an empire

:golfclap:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

One of the comments said the faction should be called Vilitch People and I'm on board with that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lucinice posted:

I'm glad they properly captured how gross Villitch looks

The choreography of the reveal trailer where Vilitch slithers his nasty rear end into view and even the nurgle warrior is like "jesus christ what the gently caress is that" is fantastic.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah he looks properly creepy. Unless that passive really bolsters his magic a lot I’m a bit worried that they’ll be the worst performing lord by a good bit, though. Like I’ll still play it and have a good time but it’s hard to go to slow foot caster, even if they’re a melee beast, from the super maneuverable casters Tzeentch has.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
So Villitch is the little guy? Who's his ride?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Deketh posted:

So Villitch is the little guy? Who's his ride?

His brother. Thomen I think? Thomin?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Anno posted:

Yeah he looks properly creepy. Unless that passive really bolsters his magic a lot I’m a bit worried that they’ll be the worst performing lord by a good bit, though. Like I’ll still play it and have a good time but it’s hard to go to slow foot caster, even if they’re a melee beast, from the super maneuverable casters Tzeentch has.

idk, Festus also seems to be a slow foot caster

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

From the Steam news update:

quote:

Hello Total War: WARHAMMER community! Today we’re revealing the third Legendary Lord joining the Champions of Chaos Lords pack—Vilitch the Curseling—coming to Total War: WARHAMMER III on August 23rd.

The malformed sorcerer-twin known as Vilitch the Curseling is a living manifestation of Tzeentch’s twisted delight in anarchy. The Great Sorcerer fused the frail runt with their warrior brother: granting Vilitch both baleful abilities and control of their autonomous sibling’s diabolic strength. Now, as they ruthlessly plot to further their own power, their enemies fear the disturbing creature known as the Twisted Twin!

ON THE BATTLEFIELD...
The chaotic fusion of warrior and wizard makes Vilitch a force to be reckoned with upon the battlefields of The Old World, as they are both a formidable melee and spellcasting Lord of Tzeentch. Their passive ability, The Twisted Twin, increasingly raises their spell mastery, melee defence, and melee attack the longer they're in close combat or casting spells.

FACTION EFFECTS
Vassals gain increased barrier hit points and spread Tzeentch’s corruption
Has access to Changing of the Ways
Forces receive benefits for having high Winds of Magic
Converts a portion of own battle casualties into Souls
Has access to the Tzeentch teleport stance

LORD EFFECTS
Steal +15% of the experience earned by other Lords
Passive ability: The Twisted Twin
Teleport stance usage cost: -25% Winds of Magic (Lord’s Army)

Anno
May 10, 2017

Archaeology Hat posted:

idk, Festus also seems to be a slow foot caster

He is, but he’s also of the support lord variety, which I think can work better with that. If he’s just stuck in to a bunch of infantry mortising them all down or healing Chosen or something he can still be powerful even if he isn’t super killy himself.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Anno posted:

His brother. Thomen I think? Thomin?

Oh neat, always like to see a family double act.

Personally I thought this trailer was the weaker of the 3 so far, the javelins seemed a bit... meh. But Villitch did indeed seem creeptastic when he popped up and he should have lots of creepy fun out in the corner by himself.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Vilitch’s IE start position will be in the northeastern most territory, across the Great Bastion:

https://mobile.twitter.com/totalwar/status/1554477761795969026

Heey, I was kind of correct in expecting him to start somewhere near the great bastion. Though to be honest I didn't expect him that far east and by the coast.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

As someone who hasn’t had much of an interest in Chaos before, can anyone explain to me why in these Champions videos, Chaos is always fighting Chaos? I was just wondering because it seemed like in the lead up to WH3, all the trailers generally depicted Chaos against “Order.”

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Deketh posted:

Oh neat, always like to see a family double act.

Personally I thought this trailer was the weaker of the 3 so far, the javelins seemed a bit... meh. But Villitch did indeed seem creeptastic when he popped up and he should have lots of creepy fun out in the corner by himself.

Fun (?) fact, not only is Vilitch controlling his brother's body, he's also controlling all his Chaos Warriors as well. It's why they look particularly robotic/automaton in the trailer.

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

As someone who hasn’t had much of an interest in Chaos before, can anyone explain to me why in these Champions videos, Chaos is always fighting Chaos? I was just wondering because it seemed like in the lead up to WH3, all the trailers generally depicted Chaos against “Order.”

Khrone hates Slaanesh, Tzeentch hates Nurgle. Note they're fighting their respective hated rival in the trailers so far. Plus this DLC's push is all the Chaos factions fighting over a MacGuffin city.

Additionally, Chaos unifying together under someone like Archaon/a powerful warlord is the exception, not the norm.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 2, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I could be wrong, but I think the gist of it is that Chaos tribes fight among themselves until there's big enough force, then a unifying push is made into order lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

A big reason why Chaos has so much trouble conquering the world and destroying everything is because the Chaos gods are rivals and hate each other with varying degrees of intensity. So they're enemies of the order factions, but also frequently enemies of each other; the big world-destroying invasions generally only happen when temporary truces are agreed to and all the squabbling tribes and warbands are united under someone strong enough to force them to do so(the so-called Everchosen). Smaller invasions do occur when someone strong enough kicks enough people into line, as well.

Khorne especially hates Slaanesh(and vice versa) and Nurgle especially hates Tzeentch(and vice versa), but this doesn't mean that Tzeentch really likes Slaanesh or Khorne likes Nurgle.