Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Fun (?) fact, not only is Vilitch controlling his brother's body, he's also controlling all his Chaos Warriors as well. It's why they look particularly robotic/automaton in the trailer.

Cool. I'll rewatch, armed with this fun fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like that Vilitch has a lose on purpose mechanic.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Ghorst vs. Vilitch in a brother-mount race.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

As someone who hasn’t had much of an interest in Chaos before, can anyone explain to me why in these Champions videos, Chaos is always fighting Chaos? I was just wondering because it seemed like in the lead up to WH3, all the trailers generally depicted Chaos against “Order.”

broadly speaking the warhammer world works on two principles: every good faction is beset on all sides and teetering on the brink of collapse of their civilisation, every evil faction would overrun the entire world if united but is beset by internal strife.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Also the neutral Ogres are secretly the glue holding the world in perfect balance.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Chaos Gods are manifestations of, and fed by, the conflicting emotions and impulses of all living things. They don’t like each other, are constantly hungering to remake reality in their image, and even when two armies that worship the same gods fight each other for power and favor, their conflict ultimately manifests from the impulses that feed their patron.

Speaking of conflict between two chaos worshippers:
https://mobile.twitter.com/totalwar/status/1554497325296484354

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like that Vilitch has a lose on purpose mechanic.

You're not really Tzeentch if you can't chuckle "Just as keikaku*!" whenever you get bodyslammed by a dozen perfect sumo wrestlers.

*keikaku means "plan"

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 2, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dr Christmas posted:

The Chaos Gods are manifestations of, and fed by, the conflicting emotions and impulses of all living things. They don’t like each other, are constantly hungering to remake reality in their image, and even when two armies that worship the same gods fight each other for power and favor, their conflict ultimately manifests from the impulses that feed their patron.

Speaking of conflict between two chaos worshippers:
https://mobile.twitter.com/totalwar/status/1554497325296484354

Hence why Azazel was described as being a talent scout for Slaanesh. His deal is that he recruits potential warriors and champions that are unaligned or undivided and brings them into the fold for Slaanesh. Valkia does something similar for Khorne.

It'd be an interesting campaign if all these champions were in competition to recruit pseudo - named minor heroes / lords like how the vampire counts and tomb kings have.

But yeah, basically the Monogod factions are doing Monogod stuff, and don't really throw in with the ever chosen or chaos undivided unless it's convenient to their current goals. Left to their own devices they are petty and back-biting.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I really hope the Villitch VA has the megalomaniacal mastermind and idiotic mook dynamic going on.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SirPhoebos posted:

You're not really Tzeentch if you can't chuckle "Just as keikaku*!" whenever you get bodyslammed by a dozen perfect sumo wrestlers.

*keikaku means "plan"

That sounds more like a Slaanesh thing, tbh.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vagabong posted:

I really hope the Villitch VA has the megalomaniacal mastermind and idiotic mook dynamic going on.

The big buff body is a completely braindead puppet.

Until the End Times, where Vilitch gets owned trying to chase Karl Franz through a portal, then gets sucked into the Realm of Tzeentch and Tzeentch goes "hey buddy it's time for the old switcheroo" and turns Vilitch into the puppet and his brother into the driver for the fun of it.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Ravenfood posted:

Not too much information there yet, but supposedly an LP is coming tomorrow. Cheaper teleport and he (they?) get buffs to MA/MD and spell mastery when casting or fighting seem to be the highlights.

based on Legend's comments this morning on his stream, content partners will be able to show off IE in "about a week".

I'd imagine it will be limited at the start to one of the DLC LLs and only 20 turns or whatever like they've done in the past, with the restrictions lifting the week before release.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Makes sense, gotta show off Valkia (and Blood Pack 3, it's fair to assume) before they can let the union get a crack at IE

Hopefully Janet plays Festus right away, that's the start position I'm most interested in

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Kanos posted:

The big buff body is a completely braindead puppet.

I know, thats just the lamest way to do the character. there's no body horror in one dude growing out the other if one of them is essentially inert. The Wrong Trousers would suck if wallace was unconscious for the whole film.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
With the rest of the map nearly full the giant empty ring around Grimgor and Kholek is kind of comical. Don't worry boys, you'll get some friends with big hats one day...

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

As someone who hasn’t had much of an interest in Chaos before, can anyone explain to me why in these Champions videos, Chaos is always fighting Chaos? I was just wondering because it seemed like in the lead up to WH3, all the trailers generally depicted Chaos against “Order.”

Only one person actually kind of answered this, and its because the CoC DLC (heh, cock) is based on claiming all the souls in Zanbaijin for their respective gods. Zanbaijin is a mythical city that is in of itself a slog to get to, and is a place that every so often opens up/calls to various chaos up and comers. Giant rear end brawls go down there, and in a twist of most chaos fighting, warbands that lose join up with the winners, until the ultimate winner has a massive chaos horde and marches out to burn the world. Now, one of the twists of the place is that all of the souls of mortals who die in the battles for Zanbaijin are trapped there. This has been happening for thousands of years, there is likely not another single point in WFB universe that has more raw souls waiting to be claimed in it. Per the backstory we got from the blogs/LPs, Ursan's roar has weakened the binding/place in Zanbaijin that the souls are bound, and your objective is find the way to Zanbaijin, defeat the CoC to claim victory there and the countless souls for your god.

Zanbaijin also means we are gonna get Tamurkhan, which implies a lot of additional things as well. Elspeth the Death Wizard, Toad Dragons, Carmine (sp?) Dragons, maybe finally a loving Empire engineer hero? This is a really good DLC from teasing the future perspective.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Goatson posted:

Yes? Big uns, black orks and nasty skulkers are the go to picks when you battle against dwarves. Trolls too. Add a nightgoblin fanatic and you have a proper hammer.

With skaven it gets trickier as stormvermin are a poor hammer and are more meant to be your line holders. You want to use infantry to push through (disclaimer:don't) you use plague monks, cencer bearers and death runners. Death runners are devastating against dwarves.

I said goblin specifically, not orcs, orcs obviously can. But I have never found any of the basic goblin or skaven units very threatening even the supposedly high damage ones.

Fanatics I guess can be with the weird ability they have but I generally put them in the caster category rather than the melee infantry one because it's specifically their ability that is the problem.

Everything they field is either just flat worse than basic dwarf infantry or maybe competitive in some respects but horrifically vulnerable to being shot.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Kanos posted:

Khorne especially hates Slaanesh(and vice versa) and Nurgle especially hates Tzeentch(and vice versa), but this doesn't mean that Tzeentch really likes Slaanesh or Khorne likes Nurgle.

This makes no sense to me. What about Slaanesh makes Khorne hate them more than the magic trickster god and the god of making people bedridden and die natural deaths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tzeentch/nurgle I think is the hope/despair dynamic. Tzeentch is hopeful because everyone is always making big plans, nurgle is all about "yeah whatevs just get plague and die lmao"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Vagabong posted:

I know, thats just the lamest way to do the character. there's no body horror in one dude growing out the other if one of them is essentially inert. The Wrong Trousers would suck if wallace was unconscious for the whole film.

Suddenly realizing that Malignant is the body horror version of The Wrong Trousers

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every single faction in warhams has got to combinatorially be able to make war with every single other faction. alliances maybe but sometimes deterministically no, but war is always possible

so every chaos god has eternal war with everything else. but thats just like every single other faction

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

TaintedBalance posted:

Toad Dragons.

Curious about these boys, I am once confronted by my serious love-hate relationship with the wiki's writing style. Everything reads like it was written by Teen Dracula.

quote:

Toad Dragons are huge, reeking, primordial horrors. Toad Dragons are for the fate of the world blessedly few in number, and confined largely to the trackless, otherworldly fens known as the Cold Mires under the coruscating skies of the uttermost north.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Mercrom posted:

This makes no sense to me. What about Slaanesh makes Khorne hate them more than the magic trickster god and the god of making people bedridden and die natural deaths.

Khorne is the embodiment of macho alpha male fragility and Slaanesh is a genderqueer hedonist. Simple as that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mercrom posted:

Best I've heard is that for Slaanesh what matters is the feeling, the intent and the focus of what you're doing not what you actually end up doing. Khorne only cares about what you do, not why you do it. Khorne wants those blood and skulls, everything else is sort of irrelevant details. Introspection and self focus versus external conflict and extrospection.

But really its set up that way because Hope vs Despair is a great hook for Tzeentch vs Nurgle and the other two are just sort of awkwardly pushed together.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mercrom posted:

Khorne vs Slaanesh is supposed to be outward aggression vs introspection. For Khorne it's the act of killing that's important, while Slaanesh cares about what you feel while killing. It's not really a great "rivalry", and the tendency to depict Slaanesh as little more then "BOOBIES!" doesn't help.

OwlFancier posted:

tzeentch/nurgle I think is the hope/despair dynamic. Tzeentch is hopeful because everyone is always making big plans, nurgle is all about "yeah whatevs just get plague and die lmao"
Basically yeah. Nurgle is entropy, despair, accepting your lot of life, etc. While Tzeentch is about ambition, plans, etc.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
warhammer is never really the time or the place for deep subtle characterizations. slaneesh fundamentally is boobies, bdsm, crabs and heavy metal. im just fine w that tbh

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mercrom posted:

Khorne is utilitarian and straight to the point. Kill people, get skulls, move along. Slaanesh hates the utilitarian mindset. Slaanesh is about getting lost in the fine details, and endlessly chasing perfection. Slaanesh is all about the indulgence of ego and obsession.

They also compete over the same followers to some extent. Khorne's path is more like a wild unstoppable berserker killing dozens, whereas Slaanesh's is more like defeating one opponent through flawless technique. Both are appealing to warriors and warriors might appeal to both for patronage.

The other thing is that Slaanesh is the youngest Chaos god and all the other gods hate him to some extent because they're afraid of his potential to be the strongest of them.

But also because they decided they need to rival each other for some reason and Tzeentch and Nurgle as rivals makes more sense, so they had to pair the other two leftovers up.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I guess you could do something like Khorne and Slaanesh are both expressions of passionate emotion but Khorne is directed towards incoherent rage while Slaanesh is directed towards destructive obsession.

In practice it tends to actually be this though:

Precambrian posted:

Khorne is the embodiment of macho alpha male fragility and Slaanesh is a genderqueer hedonist. Simple as that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OwlFancier posted:

To be exact Tzeetnch's empowering emotion is hope, generally in the form of ambition (It's also why he enjoys dicking around his followers, if you get what you want, you won't hope for it). Nurgle's empowering emotion is despair. You should accept that things can't get better, their is joy in acceptance, plus you can always drag others down.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 2, 2022

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The dichotomy of Khorne and Slaanesh is "Straight" Gym Bro and Bisexual Theater Nerd hth

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

When I think "Chaos," I think 4 discrete entities balanced in perfect opposition as a pair of pairs. Their greatest champion is defined by his ability to keep them in harmonious opposition so as to make their conflict productive.

Its red spiky demons and blue magic demons and pink succubi and green pustule blobs, it's no deeper than what you get in Warcraft.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Slaanesh V Khorne. Another thing is that Slaanesh tends to be about selfishness and to focus on your own desires, while Khorne tends to want all of his followers to focus on him and his desires (Blood and Skulls).

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Raygereio posted:

For Khorne it's the act of killing that's important, while Slaanesh cares about what you feel while killing.

I thought Khorne was the god of fighting and rage. I have a hard time picturing a Khorne cultist who just euthanizes sick people out of compassion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mercrom posted:

I thought Khorne was the god of fighting and rage. I have a hard time picturing a Khorne cultist who just euthanizes sick people out of compassion.

Khorne is the god of hate and bloodshed. As in he wants to you to kill. Sadism and torture are distractions why spend time tormenting a kill when you could go and get another kill in the same amount of time.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Muscle Tracer posted:

Curious about these boys, I am once confronted by my serious love-hate relationship with the wiki's writing style. Everything reads like it was written by Teen Dracula.

I love the wiki, it's so melodramatic and long-winded. It constantly repeats entire paragraphs verbatim. And half the stuff they write about sounds like fanfiction, it rules.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mercrom posted:

Khorne doesn't respect that either. Really, Khorne can hate anyone. He's the embodiment of rage. And I bet Slaanesh plays into the rivalry because it's fun and what bottom can turn down the angriest, toppiest top in all the realms? Nurgle vs Tzeentch is Nurgle getting mad that Tzeentch would interrupt the blissful cycle of decay, death, rot, life from rot, etc. Tzeentch is mad that Nurgle wants an endless happy world of stagnant, boring cycles. I could see Tzeentch trying to be above hating the other big four because he can say I LET YOU DO THAT, AS I PLANNED but seething every time they genuinely do upset his ambitions.

The Big Four can hate each other for any reason really, it's a good flexibility in the setting and these rival pairings are mostly hard theming for WH3. Khorne can get mad at anyone, Nurgle can pluck anybody else's guys when they're down(and Tzeentch always kicks his guys when they're down), Slaanesh can tempt anyone and Tzeentch can trick anyone. There is also other things like the resentment three of them have that Slaanesh has the highest potential power cap because mortals be depraved, and Slaanesh being the youngest and resenting the others for impeding them.

Also there are the other "big" two, The Horned Rat and Hashut. The big four never respect the Rat(though Nurgle/Skaven unite in Vermintide 2), and I think Hashut gets the biggest neutral tolerance of them all because he sticks to his niche of Chorfs and Chorfs produce top-notch war goods for all of Chaos.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 2, 2022

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the wiki makes a lot more sense when you realise its a patchwork of poo poo pasted from a ton of different rulebooks, which is why it constantly restates the same poo poo over and over, because each paragraph might be from a totally different source that thinks it might be introducing the character for the first time.

you get a mix of the super badass and cool descriptions they use to sell the models with on the site, longer descriptions from the little unit bio in the rulebook, and then like idk a really long version from one of the tabletop RPG games or something

1d4chan is sort of better in terms of readability if you just want the raw info but has an awful, dated edgelord sense of humor. its gotten a bit better and less edgy over time, but now google doesnt seem to index it so it wont come up when you google a warhammer guy any more.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mercrom posted:

khorne has many sides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcNdeH3vUmo

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nice try, you Slaneeshi scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

OwlFancier posted:

I said goblin specifically, not orcs, orcs obviously can. But I have never found any of the basic goblin or skaven units very threatening even the supposedly high damage ones.

Fanatics I guess can be with the weird ability they have but I generally put them in the caster category rather than the melee infantry one because it's specifically their ability that is the problem.

Everything they field is either just flat worse than basic dwarf infantry or maybe competitive in some respects but horrifically vulnerable to being shot.

I mean, for skarsnik you can field like 3 cards of basic goblins for the same upkeep as one card of dwarf warriors. At a certain point quantity wins out. They also have silver shields out the gate so they are actually relatively difficult to just shoot off the field compared to a lot of t1 filler.

You are also not really accounting for the other core early game units - namely trolls and pump wagons, both of which come out at t2 with armor piercing and will do great work in the backlines.

Like, in a lot of ways Thorgrim is going to be in way more danger against Skarsnik than he was against Grimgor. And remember supply points debuffs are way more forgiving in game 3 so you can have more cheap armies in play earlier and just drown dwarves in bodies. Once skarsnik hits t3 and gets river trolls, catapults, and squig hoppers he will extremely easily trade up cost for cost against anything dwarves throw at them.