Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Dr Christmas posted:

Sadly, I think that’s a misremembering of Ritual of the Night.

I had my hopes up, too.

I was deliberately being a dink about the title, since I've found the progression of the game to mimic Symphony of The Night almost identically (I'm aware of the heritage, yes yes)

I'd be happy with a sequel too, though.

E: just beat the game after facegrinding orichalcum for end-game gear. 2% drop rates definitely bring the experience down. Did end up being wildly overleveled for the final encounters.

Also during the kickstarter supporter section of the credits loving "DEUS VULT" scrolls across the screen, I guess if you gave enough money you got to include your terrible nationalist dogwhistling.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Photo modes in games are neat, and I know a lot of people enjoy them. And for it to be useful, it has to be easily accessible...
But it's incredibly obnoxious when you can just accidentally drop into them during gameplay because they're designed to be easily accessible.

Thankfully a number of games let you toggle it off, or remap it away, but I wish it's something they'd have you set up early on, alongside gamma calibration and etc.

Also along those lines, Ghost of Tsushima: It's obnoxious when games skip settings because they want to slide right into it and be immersive... But then completely break that anyhow.
In GoT I think you set up gamma/brightness + audio/language, then pop right into the game's intro, seamless, nice.... And then a few minutes later you grab a horse.
THE HORSE YOU HAVE CHOSEN IS NOT THE DIGITAL DELUXE MEGABONANZA HORSE, ARE YOU SURE YOU WISH TO CHOOSE IT??

Honestly I wish more games would do it like spiderman: totally not a dlc dragged into a standalone title, and just dump a full settings menu in your face before starting the game.
That, or loving stick to trying to be immersive and not IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU KNOW THAT HORSE NUMBER 4 IS THE DIGITAL DELUXE ONE.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

SubNat posted:

Photo modes in games are neat, and I know a lot of people enjoy them.

We've had photo modes for long enough that there should really be some standard elements, and it is frustrating when games half-rear end it (looking at you, Ghostwire Tokyo).

At bare minimum photo mode should include:

• Selectable depth of field and focal point
  • Free camera (not orbit)
  • Adjustable focal length
  • Adjustable exposure
  • Ability to hide players/npcs
  • Ability to select emotes/actions/poses during photo mode

To be a decent mode it should also include:

• Curves/levels adjustment, even simplified
  • Time of day/weather adjustment
  • User placeable lights (only FFXIV has done this as far as I know and it is an amazing tool).

If you want players to create free advertising for your game, at least give them a decent toolset.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Also don't be one of those developers who makes the photo mode camera move at about 1/10 the speed of the in-game camera.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The Division 2 makes taking photos really annoying, and very occasionally asks you to do it for season special events.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also don't be one of those developers who makes the photo mode camera move at about 1/10 the speed of the in-game camera.

Good point and one that I forgot--provide variable movement speeds through a speed selector or modifier keys (ctrl/shift/space). Hate trying to nail a one-frame input of a movement key to get the framing to come together right.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Waste of Breath posted:

it is frustrating when games half-rear end it (looking at you, Ghostwire Tokyo).

This but every part of Ghostwire: Tokyo.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

SubNat posted:

THE HORSE YOU HAVE CHOSEN IS NOT THE DIGITAL DELUXE MEGABONANZA HORSE, ARE YOU SURE YOU WISH TO CHOOSE IT??

The digital deluxe megabonanza horse is just brown, too. There is no other difference. It comes equipped with some fancy tack that you can put on whatever horse you do choose later.

I did not want the brown horse.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
One of the recent rear end Creeds had photo mode when you clicked both thumbsticks. Apparently I click both quite often.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm too rusty at Metroid style exploration games and am very stuck in axiom verge.

I also don't want to look anything up because they tend to be non linear so I could end up spoiling things for myself :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Ghost of Tsushima horse thing is a mixed bag because yeah, the game going "Hey, make sure you get the fancy horse!" is dumb but also you aren't allowed to change horses so they want to make sure you're aware of the paid more horse.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

ilmucche posted:

I'm too rusty at Metroid style exploration games and am very stuck in axiom verge.

I also don't want to look anything up because they tend to be non linear so I could end up spoiling things for myself :(

Just look it up. From what I remember of axiom verge some of the poo poo they make you solve to progress is obtuse.

Also the trenchcoat made the game annoying to play. I wish they'd let you disable it or change the controls for activating it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hector Delgado posted:

One of the recent rear end Creeds had photo mode when you clicked both thumbsticks. Apparently I click both quite often.

That was one I was trying to think of. I like having a photo mode button to quickly go for something without worrying about the pause menu, but I was clicking those all the time too. I hate to take up a d-pad slot, but I think that's the best option I've seen that doesn't have me clicking by accident.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

every turn in Battletech has like fifteen minutes of downtime where you watch neon orange outlines of out of range trucks move three blips. any mission where there's more than like four total enemies just takes forever.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Like the tabletop? I hand painted the entire 3025 Ral Partha roster

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

muscles like this! posted:

The Ghost of Tsushima horse thing is a mixed bag because yeah, the game going "Hey, make sure you get the fancy horse!" is dumb but also you aren't allowed to change horses so they want to make sure you're aware of the paid more horse.

Well, you do get a very sad second chance to choose the DLC horse... :(

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been playing Returnal and it owns, except for how many of the weapons seem like they're way too specialized to actually use. If you could carry two it would make things a lot more flexible. Instead I just ignore tons of things.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Metroid Dread is too hard/scary. :(

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its not called Metroid Relax

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I didn't notice in my first or second playthrough but TLOU2 doesn't have any bonuses for different outfits or backpacks like the first one did.

Very good accessibility options though. Auto pick-up and a radar for items is extremely helpful for how simple the game is.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Shiroc posted:

Its not called Metroid Relax

Metroid: Samus Takes It Easy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People would lose their poo poo for Animal Crossing: Chozo though

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Metroid: Mild Anxiety That Snugly Fits Into My Comfort Zone

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Karma Tornado posted:

every turn in Battletech has like fifteen minutes of downtime where you watch neon orange outlines of out of range trucks move three blips. any mission where there's more than like four total enemies just takes forever.

Yeah, I just ran into that one hard in one of the story missions. The gimmick there is that you're outnumbered 2:1 plus a bunch of turrets, but there are a bunch of explosive ammo dumps you can blow up near enemies to even the odds. The trouble is that it takes a while for the enemies to even get close to any of them, and nearly all of them are light mechs (meaning they get to act before you do) with long-ranged weapons. So the first few turns you just get to sit back for several minutes while the entire enemy team pummels you before you get to do anything.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I just ran into that one hard in one of the story missions. The gimmick there is that you're outnumbered 2:1 plus a bunch of turrets, but there are a bunch of explosive ammo dumps you can blow up near enemies to even the odds. The trouble is that it takes a while for the enemies to even get close to any of them, and nearly all of them are light mechs (meaning they get to act before you do) with long-ranged weapons. So the first few turns you just get to sit back for several minutes while the entire enemy team pummels you before you get to do anything.

that's where I'm at. five minutes of incoming long range missiles, then a forty percent chance to hit a guy, then four minutes of turrets you can't see shooting at you, then a mission giver losing it about a truck, then you can maybe move somebody else. I loved the Shadowrun games but the missions in this all play like the bonus stuff they put in Hong Kong, where it's four versus like thirty and your actual biggest opponent is not being willing to take an hour to take five turns.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Finished Iconoclasts this weekend. It was a pretty good game, but it does an awful job of explaining some mechanics (pun not intended). For one example, there's a boss that dives underground, and you need to use a character's melee attack to spike an area on the ground to drive it out. It makes sense in a video gamey kind of way, but you've never once had to use this move like that before, and you never will again. It wouldn't be so bad if it happened once or twice. But I felt like the game would suddenly expect me to do something I didn't know was in my toolkit at least once an hour. And it never gave you a safe area to learn; it was always something like right in the middle of a boss fight.

Also the story was kind of up its own rear end

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
My PC Engine Mini finally showed up and I’m kinda bummed it doesn’t include Legendary Axe, Devil’s Crush or Download 2 where the final boss is literally Hitler

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

RareAcumen posted:

Kaiju Crossing, where you and Tom Nook systematically destroy settlements.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Vic posted:

Metroid: Samus Takes It Easy

*Rolls credits, happy music plays*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Clear the game in under an hour, and you get to see Samus in full armor

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Karma Tornado posted:

that's where I'm at. five minutes of incoming long range missiles, then a forty percent chance to hit a guy, then four minutes of turrets you can't see shooting at you, then a mission giver losing it about a truck, then you can maybe move somebody else. I loved the Shadowrun games but the missions in this all play like the bonus stuff they put in Hong Kong, where it's four versus like thirty and your actual biggest opponent is not being willing to take an hour to take five turns.

That particular mission is probably the worst one in the entire game. It's probably best to A. reload an earlier save and come back when you've got some heavier mechs (there are no time constraints on picking up main campaign missions) or B. ignoring the trucks, you just get a little extra cash and you will be rolling in C-bills before too long.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

NonzeroCircle posted:

Kaiju Crossing, where you and Tom Nook systematically destroy settlements.

Reminder that there's going to be a Monster Rancher/Ultraman crossover game where you raise kaiju and train them by destroying various seaports and other buildings.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RareAcumen posted:

I've wondered a lot about Nintendo losing all sense of boundary between their IPs and just making everything a Smash-style clusterfuck. It'd probably be fun at first and then get loving exhausting. Like Marvel movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost of Tsushima dlc has a bit where you can participate in a non lethal tournament. Your opponents are all super annoying where they just constantly spam the same move.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Ghost of Tsushima dlc has a bit where you can participate in a non lethal tournament. Your opponents are all super annoying where they just constantly spam the same move.

Those assholes, that's MY signature style!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I've wondered a lot about Nintendo losing all sense of boundary between their IPs and just making everything a Smash-style clusterfuck. It'd probably be fun at first and then get loving exhausting. Like Marvel movies.

Yeah, but it'd be nice to see Meta Knight, Mewtwo and Samus all being quiet loners together.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

John Murdoch posted:

I want a Zelda game to end by suddenly seeing Samus' ship fly overhead and then two minutes later Hyrule explodes.

There is no indication of a crossover before that point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Reminder that there's going to be a Monster Rancher/Ultraman crossover game where you raise kaiju and train them by destroying various seaports and other buildings.

The thing dragging it down is that it's switch exclusive.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BioEnchanted posted:

This big dungeon in Brave Fencer Mushashi completely sucks, it's overlong and ridiculously hard. The one in the restaurant basement.

Yeah I think that and the steamwood bits were low points for me, but I find them really fun on a replay since you already know what to expect/do and you can just plow right ahead. It’s still extremely funny that there’s this whole zombie menace going on and the bar owner is like “oh yeah there’s a huge temple/dungeon under my establishment, you should probably do something about it”

I think you’ll have to wait until you’ve cleared this dungeon, but if you didn’t know already there’s a guy at the bar you can play High/Low with. It’s an incredibly easy way to make tons of money with little investment. If you can get the full prize a couple times you’ll never have to worry about affording anything again and can stock up on as many healing items or whatever else you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Karma Tornado posted:

I hit a mission in BT where it was a few medium mechs, and icons for vehicles. Turns out a bunch of those vehicles were SRM carriers, and had 6 SRM4s or something on them, and they could basically drive straight up, fire everything and have a good chance of crippling a mech. They also all got to go before I did.

Kinda stopped playing after that.