Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i already wrote the signal received and part of a rubric entry for it above

yes, and I just said there are safer questions that provide the same signal.

why insist on asking a question that's going to have dangerous responses from almost anyone who has a family? the moment they say they don't have hobbies because they spend all their time with their kids, you've opened yourself up to liability. if you stick to work related topics, you can steer the conversation away from that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the issue is that it can be an easy place for lovely bias to come in, as with all personal-ish questions. the solution is to either make a rubric or don't ask the question (but you need a rubric anyway so 🤷‍♀️)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i feel like there are two conversations going on.

as an interviewee, there is basically no downside to answering the question honestly

as an interviewer, there are pitfalls around the question that quickly reveal protected information, so the question should be avoided

yeah I get that, was speaking to #1 with that post.

for #2 I see that also. personally would just want some way to just shoot the poo poo with a candidate somehow but it's gotta be structured right? but I'm learning to interview right now so that may be off base.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yes, and I just said there are safer questions that provide the same signal.

why insist on asking a question that's going to have dangerous responses from almost anyone who has a family? the moment they say they don't have hobbies because they spend all their time with their kids, you've opened yourself up to liability. if you stick to work related topics, you can steer the conversation away from that poo poo.

i mentioned the positive outcomes above. and i'm not insisting on asking, im saying that anybody with two brain cells that gives half a poo poo can make a rubric to mitigate the downsides

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

supabump posted:

the question isn't "how do I handle being asked what my hobbies are waaah"

it's "this is a weird systemic thing that isn't particularly useful and may be detrimental to getting the best talent. maybe we should stop asking it"

the first thing is not in fact a given.

I don't love it as a question but as long as it's evaluated reasonably (IE any answer which isn't inappropriate for a work place is good) then whatever. The best talent includes being good at making the workplace a safe, enjoyable place to be where your coworker isn't going to respond to innocuous questions in a disruptive or unfriendly manner.

e: to be clear "I look after my kids" is a totally fine answer. If you're gonna mark people down for that then I don't think the question is the biggest problem.

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Don't you think figuring out someone's personality might be good for a job? You work with people, wouldn't you want someone who isn't a weirdo working with you?

I am still not seeing what the issue is.

the issue is you might be hiring for a position mostly just pushing code and branding an immigrant who doesn't speak English very well as a weirdo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

being asked about your hobbies is a t-ball question designed to give you a topic you're knowledgeable about and interested in to see how you have a conversation in a non-work context. you literally pick what to discuss. You could talk about your love of the loving McDonald's value menu for all I care as long as you aren't some walking liability talking about how you go downtown trying to take upskirt pics or some poo poo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If the job you're hiring for doesn't have English as a requirement why am I interviewing them in english

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

people ITT being uncomfortable hiring people who don't think or act or speak the way they would in non-work contexts are making my point for me.

if you really think things are better this way, that sucks for a whole lot of people and probably your own team too

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the interview is a work context, and nudgenudgetilt got it right in like the first reply to what i said

is this reframing it as an accent+racism thing? cause that's a separate conversation to this one but still another bias to be aware of

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

to see how you have a conversation in a non-work context.

but why is a non-work context relevant for work, like at all?

aside from glaring liabilities ("i use meth on the weekend then rob banks"), why are you the least bit concerned about any non-work aspect of the interviewee?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Not all jobs are human machinery and many of them in fact require social interaction unrelated to the literal job itself

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

have you ever made small talk with a customer before

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Not all jobs are human machinery and many of them in fact require social interaction unrelated to the literal job itself

can you provide an example of a situation where a computer toucher like those found round these parts would, as part of their job, be required to socially interact with others in a non-work context?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

have you ever made small talk with a customer before

that is literally a work context

i bet you think the barista thinks youre cute too

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

Share Bear posted:

is this reframing it as an accent+racism thing? cause that's a separate conversation to this one but still another bias to be aware of

For me, giving marginalized people fairer opportunities to represent themselves is always a thing to think about since it's one of the easiest and most important ways to improve the interview process. I agree it's a sharp turn to take in this conversation, but it's also a pretty big deal and I didn't want to leave it out.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

nudgenudgetilt posted:

that is literally a work context

i bet you think the barista thinks youre cute too

lmao

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

nudgenudgetilt posted:

can you provide an example of a situation where a computer toucher like those found round these parts would, as part of their job, be required to socially interact with others in a non-work context?

conferences and onsite high touch sales with toucher tagging along. usually you get whats called a 'sales engineer' (... lol) to do this poo poo and not bother peeps who actually make the stuff but this cant always be avoided

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

conferences and onsite sales with toucher tagging along

these are all work contexts? interacting with people does not suddenly make it a non-work situation.

computer touchers tagalongs do not talk about their hobbies at sales meetings
sales people do not talk about their hobbies unless they think doing so is going to make a sale

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you think the meat of what goes on in a conference happens in the sessions, you have another one coming to you, lol. same w the onsite sales to be honest

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

nudgenudgetilt posted:

these are all work contexts? interacting with people does not suddenly make it a non-work situation.

sales people do not talk about their hobbies unless they think doing so is going to make a sale

lmfao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

do you think people just talk about code all day at conferences? I'll give you a hint a full half of the people who go skip the conference and just get drunk and bullshit with each other and those people make faster and more fun business deals

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've spent more time talking about sailboats and hiking than computers in customer meetings where some client wants to talk to an engineer. It absolutely happens

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

supabump posted:

the issue is you might be hiring for a position mostly just pushing code and branding an immigrant who doesn't speak English very well as a weirdo

are you part of any of these groups? because as someone who is this sounds like a bunch of condescending bullshit to overcorrect for your own bias.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

m8

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i am definitely in the "i don't really share my personal life with my coworkers" camp, but being able to make small talk about what you did during the weekend, or something you are interested in is not a huge ask, it's just indicating that you're human.

look, i might have spent all weekend at the nudist all male gay campground having a beer bash this weekend but that's very quickly going to be transformed into WENT HIKING WITH SOME FRIENDS IN THE WOODS, HOW ABOUT THE XFL STARTING UP AGAIN? on monday.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

the hard resistance that some people are showing are demonstrative about why these questions are asked.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

are you part of any of these groups? because as someone who is this sounds like a bunch of condescending bullshit to overcorrect for your own bias.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the higher up the leadership ladder you go the more important people skills, knowing how to treat people as humans (not fungible code-generators) etc become. i dont necessarily mean management, either - im talking tech leadership

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My favorite part about not sharing details of my personal life with my coworkers is when I get back from a memorial service and everybody asks me if I had fun on my vacation

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

KidDynamite posted:

I'm not, and I apologize if anything I said came off as condescending. However, I do a lot of work to improve this particular aspect of interviewing, recruiting, etc. and talk to a lot of people about their experiences as a part of that work. So I'm not talking out my rear end, and I'm not just trying to sell people on being inclusive for its own sake. We're nerds, so we A/B tested the process and found that a small but significant amount of real talent gets missed out on for reasons like this.

supabump fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 2, 2022

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

it's basically: are you gonna make appropriate conversations in the office or are to gonna talk about your piss fetish in an interview. it's a pretty easy filter posting pals. just say you read the news in your industry (scroll yospos) and like to chat with your colleagues (poo poo post)

i literally mentioned yospos in an interview once as an answer to this exact question. he made a face and said, 'so uh i've never heard of that' and i told him what it stood for. he grinned and we moved on with the interview

about a week later he came up to me and said, 'so i checked out that yospos place it seems like their whole deal is switching between false bravado vs. actually providing useful and insightful commentary'

i told him he understood it perfectly

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also weightlifting

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao at the people who can't handle a softball question that amounts to "will you embarrass us if a normie talks to you"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I have both expensive sports hobbies popular with management and techy nerd hobbies so I can code switch based on the grooming standards of my interviewer.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I do the same when choosing between camping or 3-d printing as my go-to hobby

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

how do you a/b test an interview, give them a lobotomy and try agin?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

ultravoices posted:

how do you a/b test an interview, give them a lobotomy and try agin?

Come in again with groucho marx glasses

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

nudgenudgetilt posted:

brotherman, are you a robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

01100010 01100101 01100011 01100001 01110101 01110011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110011 01110101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01100011 01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101